Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Astraweb finally sent me an email about how to re-register using my credit card, now I'm paying less than I was with PayPal!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Folder permissions?

It could be, but i was able to manually import stuff without issue earlier. I have sonarr running as my user account on my mac and it has full access permissions to the completed NZB folder and the destination folder.

it just seems some shows get stuck in a limbo where Sonarr things it isnt completed.

the mkv issue is just with MKVs - everything else functions normally, so i dont think it is permissions.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Laserface posted:

It could be, but i was able to manually import stuff without issue earlier. I have sonarr running as my user account on my mac and it has full access permissions to the completed NZB folder and the destination folder.

it just seems some shows get stuck in a limbo where Sonarr things it isnt completed.

the mkv issue is just with MKVs - everything else functions normally, so i dont think it is permissions.

OK, what about the folder those files are in. They're not being used by another process are they?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

restarted Sonarr, Radarr and Sabnzbd+, files arent locked by anything.

enabled changed permissions on Sonarr, still just says 'manual import completed' and then doesnt move the file.

Edit: just realised the episode in question is also mkv.

so why doesnt MKV work properly?

Laserface fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Sep 19, 2017

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
I assume Sonarr shows that it recognizes the files as the correct episodes? Try moving everything into a completely different folder and importing them from there.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I assume Sonarr shows that it recognizes the files as the correct episodes? Try moving everything into a completely different folder and importing them from there.

This worked for whatever reason.

Radar still won't even acknowledge the presence of the two movies though.

XRoja
Jan 8, 2002
Grimey Drawer

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Astraweb finally sent me an email about how to re-register using my credit card, now I'm paying less than I was with PayPal!

Yup, same. Now I'm back to sticking with Astraweb.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Laserface posted:

This worked for whatever reason.

Radar still won't even acknowledge the presence of the two movies though.

Check the logs, it has some fucky issue with renaming existing files when mkvs are involved. I would have to manually delete the old one then restart the import to get them to install.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

So it turns out it wouldnt import the files I had downloaded because they already existed in the local directory. Which is weird because I checked the directory several times and they werent there (and I couldnt see the files when attempting to watch them in Plex, either, so they definitely werent there)

Another Sonarr question: Animation typically doesnt need HD quality video, is there a way to make it grab cartoons as SD and only resort to 720/1080 if SD is not available/fails?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I would argue that even animation benefits from HD video, but if you go to settings -> profiles and click on a profile, the list of qualities goes from most wanted at the top to least wanted at the bottom, so you can just move SD to the top in a special animation-only profile.

Decairn
Dec 1, 2007

.. Never mind, answered above

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I would argue that even animation benefits from HD video, but if you go to settings -> profiles and click on a profile, the list of qualities goes from most wanted at the top to least wanted at the bottom, so you can just move SD to the top in a special animation-only profile.

You can also just use the "Any" profile which will grab whatever it finds first. I find a lot of animated stuff only showing up in SD anyway sadly :(

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Irritated Goat posted:

You can also just use the "Any" profile which will grab whatever it finds first. I find a lot of animated stuff only showing up in SD anyway sadly :(

The Any profile would prioritize HD content. He only wants HD content if there is no SD content available.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I've been using Newshosting.com for over a decade and had few issues, but recently I've been getting tons of missing articles.

Can anyone recommend a good backup provider for me? Is there still a "if your primary provider is on X back-end you should use a backup on Y back-end" guideline?

Sorry if these are dumb questions, but I haven't had to worry about any of this in ages, and the OP hasn't been updated for five years, so I have no idea how much is still relevant.

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama

WhiteHowler posted:

I've been using Newshosting.com for over a decade and had few issues, but recently I've been getting tons of missing articles.

Can anyone recommend a good backup provider for me? Is there still a "if your primary provider is on X back-end you should use a backup on Y back-end" guideline?

Sorry if these are dumb questions, but I haven't had to worry about any of this in ages, and the OP hasn't been updated for five years, so I have no idea how much is still relevant.

Newshosting is Highwinds, so I would recommend Supernews (giganews), Usenet.farm blocks, or Astraweb. There are deals for all of these. Astraweb is 8/mo, Supernews is 10/mo, Usenet.Farm is 500 gb block for EUR15. More deals pop up on blocks for Black Friday.

Check out this: https://www.reddit.com/r/usenet/wiki/providers

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
My setup is Usenet Express for a primary provider, and Free-Usenet for blocks (because they had a BOGO sale). It's working well for me :shrug:

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Vykk.Draygo posted:

The Any profile would prioritize HD content. He only wants HD content if there is no SD content available.

Slight variation will do the trick there. Make a copy of the Any profile and reverse the order of downloading (e.g. from top to bottom have SD, HD-720p, HD-1080p etc). Also set the cutoff as one of the HD values so that it doesn't keep searching for an SD version after downloading the SD version (unless you intend to do this).

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Greatest Living Man posted:

Newshosting is Highwinds, so I would recommend Supernews (giganews), Usenet.farm blocks, or Astraweb. There are deals for all of these. Astraweb is 8/mo, Supernews is 10/mo, Usenet.Farm is 500 gb block for EUR15. More deals pop up on blocks for Black Friday.

Check out this: https://www.reddit.com/r/usenet/wiki/providers
Thanks, that link was super-helpful.

My ping to usenet.farm was pretty bad, so I bought a block from usenetexpress, which is very new but has some pretty good reviews and a great connection from where I live. Everything's working great so far!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Is headphones still the equivalent of Sonarr and Couchpotato? I tried using it a few years ago but recall it not meeting my expectations for one reason or another. Has it improved at all? Does it do the job?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

TraderStav posted:

Is headphones still the equivalent of Sonarr and Couchpotato? I tried using it a few years ago but recall it not meeting my expectations for one reason or another. Has it improved at all? Does it do the job?

It's at the couch potato level. It kinda works but not great and you'd sometimes need to help it. Mostly because no one knows how the gently caress to name music.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Headphones also has the same CouchPotato problem of hammering your indexer(s) because it searches for everything individually rather than watching via RSS like Sonarr.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Bummer. Will give it a spin and see if it's serviceable. Is it the best option? Realistically I just want a front end where I insert what I'm looking for and it downloads and moves to the folder I want.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Best as in only option, sure, but I gave up on it a while ago because it needed so much handholding that I found it's easier to just manually use NZBHydra instead.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Dicty Brojangles posted:

Best as in only option, sure, but I gave up on it a while ago because it needed so much handholding that I found it's easier to just manually use NZBHydra instead.

I'll have to check it out. Once I got Sonarr working so well I have let my Usenet stuff work on autopilot for the past few years so am not plugged into new software. Thanks!

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

I’ve got three accounts with three different t1 providers. A unlimited giganews reseller, a 1TB astraweb block, and a usenet farm trial account. With the priorities 10, 20, 30 respectively.

Yet I’m still getting missing articles all over the show.

Am I doing something wrong? Or have takedowns stepped up their game recently?

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Horse Clocks posted:

Am I doing something wrong? Or have takedowns stepped up their game recently?

I've certainly been seeing this. Certain networks usually take down all of their shows, and usually within 24 hours. Searching for anything older than a few days on Usenet has become pretty pointless.

The other thing I noticed is that when something is removed, all its blocks are gone. It used to be that a DMCA'd item would only remove say 5% of it, which could be filled in from a backup. Now, 100% comes from the backup, if they still have it.

When my blocks accounts run out, I'll probably use that money for a VPN subscription and get back in the torrent game.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Strange, using only NewsDemon I haven't noticed any DMCA takedowns recently. Ever since the Scene groups started encrypting their file names, takedowns seem to have gotten rare.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Strange, using only NewsDemon I haven't noticed any DMCA takedowns recently. Ever since the Scene groups started encrypting their file names, takedowns seem to have gotten rare.

Im using sickbeard and what im seeing is a lot of errors in the first thing sickbeard grabs but when I go to pick another release (even with the exact same name) that goes through.

Time to switch I guess

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I'm using Radarr and Sonarr with Astraweb, no issues here (so far).

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Does anyone have gigabit and max it out? I'm using supernews and it tops out around 25MB/s for me.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I have gigabit and the only time I've ever maxed it out is running a synthetic benchmark.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008
I dont have gigabit but have 500mb service and never really see much above 30mb/s from Astraweb. Which is plenty fast for me.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

apatheticman posted:

Im using sickbeard and what im seeing is a lot of errors in the first thing sickbeard grabs but when I go to pick another release (even with the exact same name) that goes through.

Time to switch I guess

I use Sonarr with 2 providers and got the same thing yesterday when I was backfilling some stuff, so I could clear my space limited DVR out.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
I've also noticed way fewer takedowns recently. I switched entirely to private torrent trackers about a year ago because of all the takedowns but I downloaded a ton of poo poo on usenet to cross-seed and I was surprised by how few items [maybe 5% or less] came back with missing articles.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I've been doing both. Stopped a few days ago because I kept getting Jackett console windows after it running for a day but I miss the surefire complete of using both. I may have to just figure out a fix as to why it keeps throwing up a console window.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

Brain Curry posted:

Does anyone have gigabit and max it out? I'm using supernews and it tops out around 25MB/s for me.

I've got gigabit and see roughly 60MB/s from usenet.farm on a fast PC and the max number of connections.

Edit: I saw 74MB/s last night, which is about the best I see from a local steam mirror.

ILikeVoltron fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Oct 18, 2017

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

I'm a couple months behind the curve but my annual astraweb unlimited account tried to renew and failed due to PayPal blacklisting them. I was going to re-up with them anyways, never really had any issues with their uptime or missing posts, but the fact that they can't even bother to buy an SSL/TLS cert and want me to submit my credit card info to them unencrypted makes me wary.

Thinking of switching to a yearly unlimited UsenetExpress account, seems like folks in the thread using them are pretty happy? I'm on the east coast and it sounds like they are too, so that should be OK. Any reason that's a bad idea (or is there a better provider I should be looking at for my primary)?

Also, finally looking to add a TB or two of block for fallback. What are the best options? Looks like UsenetExpress is Tier1 so I assume any highwinds/whatever reseller should be fine and I should just buy whatever's cheap? I'd prefer a fairly reputable company though, ideally one that takes PayPal.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

Brain Curry posted:

I'm on gigabit with newsgroupdirect and I get around 100MB/sec.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Was it sickbeard that had its own TV rss feed? Can someone remind me what the address for that feed was, if it's still active?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Something like momo.sickbeard.tv I think?