Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Ham Sandwiches posted:

If you think that Bitcoins are lovely things doomed to fail I'd love to read your good faith post on the topic and engage with you on the matter. Except here's the thing. There isn't one. There's just you commenting on other conversations with other people and getting digs in.

I've got a position you can attack since it's in my posts, you have 50 smug variants of "lol I'm so right" which is literally worthless

What makes you this loving unpleasant as a person dude like seriously, why do you interact with people this way?

reminder, this was your response when i asked you to get specific enough to respond to after you threw a hissy fit when i answered your question and you were really mad about it for some reason:

evilweasel posted:

ham sandwich please explain the technical aspects of existing bitcoin and/or existing actual cryptocurrencies (no theoretical currencies or bitcoin features that are "on the wiki") that provide the technical utility that is superior to existing mechanisms, and the manner in which it is superior to those mechanisms (identifying the mechanism) so we can discuss in what specific, tangible, verifiable way cryptocurrencies have value beyond being ugly e-tulips

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Uhh I reject your request and criteria dude, sorry. Please find someone else to engage on these terms, I haven't enjoyed any aspect of your discourse or how genuinely loving lovely it is.

now, let's get back to that discussion of d&d rules since you're not able or willing to engage in a discussion of the technical merits of cryptocurrencies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Should we divert posts from the GBS monetary system and transplant them into the D&D monetary system? Discuss.

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same

gary oldmans diary posted:

wait so tell me again how when have bitcoins you want to unload what you do to unload them is sell illegal things for more bitcoins. walk me through your process

when did I say that? Drugs are illegal! You can transfer them back to your bank (which I do from time to time) or you can sell them to someone local who prob wants to buy drugs online without attaching their bank account to anything at a higher rate of exchange.

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
just cut the poo poo and have another meltdown, cat tit av guy. : - )

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

man that evil weasel guy not making far-reaching predictions :colbert: hes got a lot of nerve

evil weasel please take up some wrong positions in arguments so ham sandwiches can argue against you. you set em up and he will knock em down

i even responded to his gotcha question and he was very mad about it :smith:

one would have thought he would appreciate a specific, measurable metric by which we could judge if my analysis of the technical merits of bitcoin blocking its adoption was wrong but apparently not!

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

scott zoloft posted:

when did I say that? Drugs are illegal! You can transfer them back to your bank (which I do from time to time) or you can sell them to someone local who prob wants to buy drugs online without attaching their bank account to anything at a higher rate of exchange.

Don't transfer drugs to your bank, that's dumb.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
i think the jfk assassination was actually a suicide. i sure hope ham sandwiches doesnt argue against me

*ham sandwiches argues against me and crushes me with reasoned arguments*

:kiddo: darn it he got me. hes really good at arguing as long as he gets to decide what arguments you make

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

evilweasel posted:

reminder, this was your response when i asked you to get specific enough to respond to after you threw a hissy fit when i answered your question and you were really mad about it for some reason:

now, let's get back to that discussion of d&d rules since you're not able or willing to engage in a discussion of the technical merits of cryptocurrencies

No you asked me to explain my position even more despite writing several effortposts about it, so that you can attack my positions even more, while still offering 0 of your positions. That's when I realized all your posts are attacking me while offering 0 argument or explanation, just some kind of weird "lmao you're wrong" repeated ad nauseum

You offered an even less credible deal than the effortposter that gave up, and I told you to gently caress off. You are a disingenuous person I will not waste my time with, I will gladly discuss with others in the thread

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same

Who What Now posted:

Don't transfer drugs to your bank, that's dumb.

whoops

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

scott zoloft posted:

scott zoloft posted:

just cut the poo poo and have another meltdown, cat tit av guy. : - )
im not gonna pretend last page was a long time ago and citation is needed for 1 of your like 5 posts which is the 1 i quoted. you just keep on not being able to figure out how transactions work and trying the former av burn angle

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

I'll argue you all to death about anything except things that require me to be factual, talk about facts straight, provide citations or sources, or statistics. Accurately. I can't deal with that.

I'm entitled to say anything I want to you resultingly, since you don't play by MY rules. HA Take that owned.

What I'm saying here is that I have nothing to do but be an opinionated forum partisan all day.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Ham Sandwiches posted:

No you asked me to explain my position even more despite writing several effortposts about it, so that you can attack my positions even more, while still offering 0 of your positions. That's when I realized all your posts are attacking me while offering 0 argument or explanation, just some kind of weird "lmao you're wrong" repeated ad nauseum

You offered an even less credible deal than the effortposter that gave up, and I told you to gently caress off. You are a disingenuous person I will not waste my time in, I will gladly discuss with others in the thread

your response to being obviously wrong is to try to pretend what you said is not what you said, so i insist on locking you into a position that i can quote back at you every time you try to do that before i waste my time with an idiot. i know you're not actually going to do that, but asking you to and watching you squirm away while complaining that people are too mean does the same thing, really

you keep evangelizing about how cryptocurrencies are going to take over financial transactions. ok, so presumably you must know literally a single thing about how they're superior to existing methods right? no, you don't? hmm, why, that might almost suggest you're an idiot.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Ham Sandwiches posted:

You offered an even less credible deal than the effortposter that gave up, and I told you to gently caress off. You are a disingenuous person I will not waste my time with, I will gladly discuss with others in the thread

So you're mad he won't make an effortpost, but you also refuse to actually engage with one when he does make it. I'm starting to think you aren't arguing in good faith if you can't even keep a consistent position for two entire posts.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

evilweasel posted:

your response to being obviously wrong is to try to pretend what you said is not what you said, so i insist on locking you into a position that i can quote back at you every time you try to do that before i waste my time with an idiot. i know you're not actually going to do that, but asking you to and watching you squirm away while complaining that people are too mean does the same thing, really

you keep evangelizing about how cryptocurrencies are going to take over financial transactions. ok, so presumably you must know literally a single thing about how they're superior to existing methods right? no, you don't? hmm, why, that might almost suggest you're an idiot.

No dude this is real simple. For the people that have spent years explaining how bitcoins will fail or be legitimate, I want them to explain why they think that. You are literally trying to gotcha me into explaining why I think bitcoins will succeed. I don't. I disagree with the people that consider it a foregone thing that they are a scam and that they will fail, and that a wait and see approach is more reasonable.

Strong claims of failure and fraud should be backed with arguments, and I don't find those arguments credible. You seem to be consumed with getting ME to articulate a position to attack, what you phrase as "locking me into a position to quote me back" and yet when I tried to ask you a simple question - how widely used would Bitcoins need to be before you agreed that you were wrong, you literally couldn't do it. Like you squirmed and squirmed and went with a technical dodge. I asked you if you were a lawyer, and you ignored me.

That was the pivotal moment where you could have had a legit discussion but instead you were like "I don't like the answer that I will have to provide, so I will pick a technical detail that won't be met but will completely derail the discussion." So instead of "Hey, I need to articulate my vision of a world where Bitcoin succeeded and what that looks like, and then I'll admit I was wrong" you decided that the best way to frame it was "PROVE TO ME BITCOIN WILL SCALE PAST 8 TRANSACTIONS PER SECOND." So if that's really what you're capable of, discourse wise, then we're not going to get anywhere.

Paint a picture of a world where bitcoin is used widely. Retailers, currency transfers, you name it. To what scale is it in use for you to agree that cryptocurrencies were a useful thing? It was a simple question and you straight up refused to answer it.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
its a long thread. when EW makes an effort post HS makes a reply with complete bullshit statements and then acts oblivious to that. it gets old

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Paint a picture of a world where bitcoin is used widely.
I was shooting heroin and reading “The Fountainhead” in the front seat of my privately owned police cruiser when a call came in. I put a quarter in the radio to activate it. It was the chief.

“Bad news, detective. We got a situation.”

“What? Is the mayor trying to ban trans fats again?”

“Worse. Somebody just stole four hundred and forty-seven million dollars’ worth of bitcoins.”

The heroin needle practically fell out of my arm. “What kind of monster would do something like that? Bitcoins are the ultimate currency: virtual, anonymous, stateless. They represent true economic freedom, not subject to arbitrary manipulation by any government. Do we have any leads?”

“Not yet. But mark my words: we’re going to figure out who did this and we’re going to take them down … provided someone pays us a fair market rate to do so.”

“Easy, chief,” I said. “Any rate the market offers is, by definition, fair.”

He laughed. “That’s why you’re the best I got, Lisowski. Now you get out there and find those bitcoins.”

“Don’t worry,” I said. “I’m on it.”

I put a quarter in the siren. Ten minutes later, I was on the scene. It was a normal office building, strangled on all sides by public sidewalks. I hopped over them and went inside.

“Home Depot™ Presents the Police!®” I said, flashing my badge and my gun and a small picture of Ron Paul. “Nobody move unless you want to!” They didn’t.

“Now, which one of you punks is going to pay me to investigate this crime?” No one spoke up.

“Come on,” I said. “Don’t you all understand that the protection of private property is the foundation of all personal liberty?”

It didn’t seem like they did.

“Seriously, guys. Without a strong economic motivator, I’m just going to stand here and not solve this case. Cash is fine, but I prefer being paid in gold bullion or autographed Penn Jillette posters.”

Nothing. These people were stonewalling me. It almost seemed like they didn’t care that a fortune in computer money invented to buy drugs was missing.

I figured I could wait them out. I lit several cigarettes indoors. A pregnant lady coughed, and I told her that secondhand smoke is a myth. Just then, a man in glasses made a break for it.

“Subway™ Eat Fresh and Freeze, Scumbag!®” I yelled.

Too late. He was already out the front door. I went after him.

“Stop right there!” I yelled as I ran. He was faster than me because I always try to avoid stepping on public sidewalks. Our country needs a private-sidewalk voucher system, but, thanks to the incestuous interplay between our corrupt federal government and the public-sidewalk lobby, it will never happen.

I was losing him. “Listen, I’ll pay you to stop!” I yelled. “What would you consider an appropriate price point for stopping? I’ll offer you a thirteenth of an ounce of gold and a gently worn ‘Bob Barr ‘08’ extra-large long-sleeved men’s T-shirt!”

He turned. In his hand was a revolver that the Constitution said he had every right to own. He fired at me and missed. I pulled my own gun, put a quarter in it, and fired back. The bullet lodged in a U.S.P.S. mailbox less than a foot from his head. I shot the mailbox again, on purpose.

“All right, all right!” the man yelled, throwing down his weapon. “I give up, cop! I confess: I took the bitcoins.”

“Why’d you do it?” I asked, as I slapped a pair of Oikos™ Greek Yogurt Presents Handcuffs® on the guy.

“Because I was afraid.”

“Afraid?”

“Afraid of an economic future free from the pernicious meddling of central bankers,” he said. “I’m a central banker.”

I wanted to coldcock the guy. Years ago, a central banker killed my partner. Instead, I shook my head.

“Let this be a message to all your central-banker friends out on the street,” I said. “No matter how many bitcoins you steal, you’ll never take away the dream of an open society based on the principles of personal and economic freedom.”

He nodded, because he knew I was right. Then he swiped his credit card to pay me for arresting him.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

I was shooting heroin and reading “The Fountainhead” in the front seat of my privately owned police cruiser when a call came in. I put a quarter in the radio to activate it. It was the chief.

“Worse. Somebody just stole four hundred and forty-seven million dollars’ worth of bitcoins.”

The heroin needle practically fell out of my arm. “What kind of monster would do something like that? Bitcoins are the ultimate currency: virtual, anonymous, stateless. They represent true economic freedom, not subject to arbitrary manipulation by any government. Do we have any leads?”

“Not yet. But mark my words: we’re going to figure out who did this and we’re going to take them down … provided someone pays us a fair market rate to do so.”

He laughed. “That’s why you’re the best I got, Lisowski. Now you get out there and find those bitcoins.”

I put a quarter in the siren. Ten minutes later, I was on the scene. It was a normal office building, strangled on all sides by public sidewalks. I hopped over them and went inside.

“Home Depot™ Presents the Police!®” I said, flashing my badge and my gun and a small picture of Ron Paul. “Nobody move unless you want to!” They didn’t.

“Now, which one of you punks is going to pay me to investigate this crime?” No one spoke up.

“Come on,” I said. “Don’t you all understand that the protection of private property is the foundation of all personal liberty?”

“Seriously, guys. Without a strong economic motivator, I’m just going to stand here and not solve this case. Cash is fine, but I prefer being paid in gold bullion or autographed Penn Jillette posters.”

Nothing. These people were stonewalling me. It almost seemed like they didn’t care that a fortune in computer money invented to buy drugs was missing.

I figured I could wait them out. I lit several cigarettes indoors. A pregnant lady coughed, and I told her that secondhand smoke is a myth. Just then, a man in glasses made a break for it.

“Stop right there!” I yelled as I ran. He was faster than me because I always try to avoid stepping on public sidewalks. Our country needs a private-sidewalk voucher system, but, thanks to the incestuous interplay between our corrupt federal government and the public-sidewalk lobby, it will never happen.

I was losing him. “Listen, I’ll pay you to stop!” I yelled. “What would you consider an appropriate price point for stopping? I’ll offer you a thirteenth of an ounce of gold and a gently worn ‘Bob Barr ‘08’ extra-large long-sleeved men’s T-shirt!”

He turned. In his hand was a revolver that the Constitution said he had every right to own. He fired at me and missed. I pulled my own gun, put a quarter in it, and fired back. The bullet lodged in a U.S.P.S. mailbox less than a foot from his head. I shot the mailbox again, on purpose.

“All right, all right!” the man yelled, throwing down his weapon. “I give up, cop! I confess: I took the bitcoins.”

“Why’d you do it?” I asked, as I slapped a pair of Oikos™ Greek Yogurt Presents Handcuffs® on the guy.

“Because I was afraid.”

“Afraid?”

“Afraid of an economic future free from the pernicious meddling of central bankers,” he said. “I’m a central banker.”

I wanted to coldcock the guy. Years ago, a central banker killed my partner. Instead, I shook my head.

“Let this be a message to all your central-banker friends out on the street,” I said. “No matter how many bitcoins you steal, you’ll never take away the dream of an open society based on the principles of personal and economic freedom.”

He nodded, because he knew I was right. Then he swiped his credit card to pay me for arresting him.

:golfclap:

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same

im not gonna pretend last page was a long time ago and citation is needed for 1 of your like 5 posts which is the 1 i quoted. you just keep on not being able to figure out how transactions work and trying the former av burn angle

as long as we're playing pretend, maybe you could pretend to be something other than a contrarian salt lick bitch.

*looks at his watch again and nods confidently*

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

scott zoloft posted:

as long as we're playing pretend, maybe you could pretend to be something other than a contrarian salt lick bitch.

*looks at his watch again and nods confidently*

Don't sign your posts and then look at your watch

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

scott zoloft posted:

[scott zoloft said with angry tears, hoping this burn would wipe the memory of when he couldnt figure out that selling things for more bitcoin doesnt give you cash for the bitcoin you already have]

seeing as how youre not too invested in the thread it would be better for you to just duck out than establish a back-and-forth based on the post where you look like an idiot. just sayin

Scannex
Oct 16, 2007

Do you want me to go harder?
Nap Ghost

:words:

This is (was) a truly great gift.

Scannex fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Oct 12, 2017

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same

[scott zoloft said with angry tears, hoping this burn would wipe the memory of when he couldnt figure out that selling things for more bitcoin doesnt give you cash for the bitcoin you already have]

what the gently caress lmao

I think you and I have two different fundamental understandings of how this whole "bitcoin" thing works. except I have something to show for mine. and you sound like you don't. ;(

poorlifedecision
Feb 13, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

“Because I was afraid.”

“Afraid?”

Bravo. This makes up for the fact that I read the last three pages of this thread.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Ham Sandwiches posted:

No dude this is real simple. For the people that have spent years explaining how bitcoins will fail or be legitimate, I want them to explain why they think that. You are literally trying to gotcha me into explaining why I think bitcoins will succeed. I don't.

i was copying and pasting all the times you said bitcoins will succeed but i realized it's actually funnier to take you at your word: that you are studiously refusing to take any position whatsoever on bitcoins but are complaining that nobody else will

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Paint a picture of a world where bitcoin is used widely. Retailers, currency transfers, you name it. To what scale is it in use for you to agree that cryptocurrencies were a useful thing? It was a simple question and you straight up refused to answer it.

eight transactions per second

poorlifedecision
Feb 13, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

scott zoloft posted:

I think you and I have two different fundamental understandings of how this whole "bitcoin" thing works. except I have something to show for mine. and you sound like you don't. ;(

He probably has nothing but a bunch of fiat currency he uses to "buy" things he "wants and needs."

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

scott zoloft posted:

A quarter gram of cocaine in your lockbox at the local credit union isn't something to be proud of.

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same

poorlifedecision posted:

He probably has nothing but a bunch of fiat currency he uses to "buy" things he "wants and needs."

that's probably how he got that retard brain. a real chicken or the egg situation we find ourselves in.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

poorlifedecision posted:

it takes a few hours to sell bitcoin on a US-based exchange and then wire the cash to yourself. the majority of the time elapsed is just waiting for the wire to process and clear

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

scott zoloft posted:

fundamental understandings of how this whole "bitcoin" thing works

scott zoloft posted:

> having at least 10k worth of bitcoins

> knowing what people use them for

> scratching head over how to turn them into cash
how to turn bitcoins you have into cash by scott zoloft: sell illegal stuff for even more bitcoins :hai: good luck with that brain you got there bud

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

:golfclap:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

ham sandwich is trying to take the position that he has literally taken no position whatsoever on bitcoins at all in the last forty pages, but that it's actually everyone else who isn't taking firm positions out of fear of getting dunked on, not him

his position is that literally everything positive he's said about bitcoin is not a statement about why he thinks bitcoins will succeed. but you should buy them.

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
all right well I'll be back when the exchange hits 7k. maybe by then the brain trust will have figured out it's not hard to turn it into cash without doing anything illegal. but by the sound of it, they won't because they never bought in.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

scott zoloft posted:

all right well I'll be back when the exchange hits 7k. maybe by then the brain trust will have figured out it's not hard to turn it into cash without doing anything illegal. but by the sound of it, they won't because they never bought in.

Presumably you haven't either, since the closest you could come up with is "selling drugs isn't illegal if you don't get caught".

poorlifedecision
Feb 13, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

scott zoloft posted:

that's probably how he got that retard brain. a real chicken or the egg situation we find ourselves in.

I think you missed a real opportunity to use the expanding brain meme here.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

evilweasel posted:

ham sandwich is trying to take the position that he has literally taken no position whatsoever on bitcoins at all in the last forty pages, but that it's actually everyone else who isn't taking firm positions out of fear of getting dunked on, not him

his position is that literally everything positive he's said about bitcoin is not a statement about why he thinks bitcoins will succeed. but you should buy them.

I'm trying to take the position that I disagree with the consensus position that bitcoins are doomed to failure and a scam for a variety of reasons. I find cryptocurrencies interesting and something worth looking into / talking about. There's a bunch of wise SA posters that have already been to the future and they're back (just like the movies) and it's a bad place where Bitcoin failed. So I'm trying to get them to paint that picture, so we can see how close we are moving to this dire timeline.

They won't do it. They just know that bitcoins will fail for *reasons* but somehow that precludes describing how or when it will fail. And my quest to get people to articulate how exactly they think bitcoins will fail ran into that effortposter so giant walls of text were produced.

I don't think you should be warning people off cryptocoins as if you know that they're doomed while they keep gaining more acceptance, usage, and valuation. I think you should have some pretty strong arguments if you do. Neither seems to be the case with the 1 liner crew that has been repeating the same tired poo poo for years.

poorlifedecision
Feb 13, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Uranium 235 posted:

it takes a few hours to sell bitcoin on a US-based exchange and then wire the cash to yourself. the majority of the time elapsed is just waiting for the wire to process and clear

I don't know what you think I asked but I'm very sure this isn't the correct answer.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

evilweasel posted:

Filling up space on the internet in tyool 2017 is extremely important for opinion-partisanship. The more you type, the more people will be forced to agree with you!!

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
"Of-of course I know how to turn bitcoins into USD!" Scott Zoloft says nervously, "but I, uh, I wanna make sure you know how to do it too. So please tell me."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

poorlifedecision posted:

I don't know what you think I asked but I'm very sure this isn't the correct answer.

He's explaining that if you push a button labeled "call a wizard" and wait a few hours, the coins on the internet turn into a bunch of fiat currency you can use to "buy" things you "want and need."

• Locked thread