Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

poorlifedecision posted:

I don't know what you think I asked but I'm very sure this isn't the correct answer.
you didn't ask anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same

Who What Now posted:

Presumably you haven't either, since the closest you could come up with is "selling drugs isn't illegal if you don't get caught".

i never even implied that i've sold drugs. it's just not hard to imagine any way to insert yourself into that economy legal or not. they can be sold for cash over the exchange rate. who would want to buy coins for cash?? let's think hard...

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Terrible Opinions posted:

Could be worse. He could pull a Seraph and continuously claim to have made millions of dollars. Then it turns out he's actually an unemployed child molester.

I remember Seraph, but I had no idea that he was unemployed. I though he was one of the people who won the scam lottery and decided that they're financial geniuses.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

scott zoloft posted:

i never even implied that i've sold drugs.

Right, you keep them at banks lmao

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
not to mention you can literally keep cash and coins in an account on gdax and just transfer the money back to your bank account with two mouse clicks. it's that easy.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

scott zoloft posted:

i never even implied that i've sold drugs. it's just not hard to imagine any way to insert yourself into that economy legal or not. they can be sold for cash over the exchange rate. who would want to buy coins for cash?? let's think hard...
what does it matter what people want to use the coins for then? are you saying you meant to say "just sell the coins but make sure you sell to people who want to buy drugs"

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

The bitcoin partisans grow in number. Soon the thread will capitulate, and all of poor Ham Sandwich's line drawing will pay off: People will say majority-POSITIVE things about bitcoins!

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Post the chart! POST THE CHART!

:hellyeah:

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

scott zoloft posted:

not to mention you can literally keep cash and coins in an account on gdax and just transfer the money back to your bank account with two mouse clicks. it's that easy.
excuse me sir i'm trying to repeat talking points from 2013 here, can you please not interrupt me

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same

Who What Now posted:

Right, you keep them at banks lmao

one of us is making money and having a good time watching the digital dollar exchange go up. the other is insisting that they were smart because they never bought in. wonder who is who.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

As we all know, simply investing in bitcoins or considering it expands your brains to galaxy size.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

scott zoloft posted:

you can literally keep cash and coins in an account on gdax
we can finally keep our cash in one of those reliable bitcoin exchanges you keep hearing good things about

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same

gary oldmans diary posted:

what does it matter what people want to use the coins for then? are you saying you meant to say "just sell the coins but make sure you sell to people who want to buy drugs"

yeah that's exactly what i said. sell them locally, but ONLY sell them to people who want to buy drugs online. survey everyone who requests an order before you transfer anything. that's what i said.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

weird, violating their terms of service by circumventing laws and regulations that coinbase complies with will get your account shut down!

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

I'm completely lost and have no idea what's going on. I'll be at my bunker.

If you need any diplomatic or mineral stuff just call me. If you plan to nuke India please give me a 5 minute warning to close the windows!

Also Iapetus sucks!
Star citizen spaceships are as real as bitcoins.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

scott zoloft posted:

yeah that's exactly what i said. sell them locally, but ONLY sell them to people who want to buy drugs online. survey everyone who requests an order before you transfer anything. that's what i said.
sorry friendo i mustve misunderstood you. please explain in your own words why its important (your step 2) to remember what people use bitcoin for in order to turn your bitcoin into cash

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
"one of us is making money and having a good time watching the digital dollar exchange go up. the other is insisting that they were smart because they never bought in. wonder who is who."

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

scott zoloft posted:

Until it gets hacked, or goes offline, or the site admin steals it all and you lose everything. You know, like has happened multiple times before.

scott zoloft posted:

one of us is making money and having a good time watching the digital dollar exchange go up. the other is insisting that they were smart because they never bought in. wonder who is who.

Well I'm laughing at you and you're slowly turning into a corncob, so I really am unsure who you think is which.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Even in a system where Buttcoin is used for every transaction, its many technical flaws and the difficulty regarding insuring it would make it bluntly inferior for most uses

Also feel free to quote all my effort posts in a couple years, I stand by them. If each Bit is worth a trillion dollars, I will stand by what I said.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Uranium 235 posted:

weird, violating their terms of service by circumventing laws and regulations that coinbase complies with will get your account shut down!

I agree, TOS Violations costing individuals 5 figure sums is both cool and good.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

scott zoloft posted:

Um

Yeah I'm gonna sell thousands of dollars worth of BTC to some dude I'm meeting who assures me he definitely only just wants them for drugs.

This is a good move.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Ham Sandwiches posted:

I'm trying to take the position that I disagree with the consensus position that bitcoins are doomed to failure and a scam for a variety of reasons. I find cryptocurrencies interesting and something worth looking into / talking about. There's a bunch of wise SA posters that have already been to the future and they're back (just like the movies) and it's a bad place where Bitcoin failed. So I'm trying to get them to paint that picture, so we can see how close we are moving to this dire timeline.

They won't do it. They just know that bitcoins will fail for *reasons* but somehow that precludes describing how or when it will fail. And my quest to get people to articulate how exactly they think bitcoins will fail ran into that effortposter so giant walls of text were produced.

I don't think you should be warning people off cryptocoins as if you know that they're doomed while they keep gaining more acceptance, usage, and valuation. I think you should have some pretty strong arguments if you do. Neither seems to be the case with the 1 liner crew that has been repeating the same tired poo poo for years.

so you disagree with it, but not with enough facts to point to a single way in which you can answer this question:

evilweasel posted:

ham sandwich please explain the technical aspects of existing bitcoin and/or existing actual cryptocurrencies (no theoretical currencies or bitcoin features that are "on the wiki") that provide the technical utility that is superior to existing mechanisms, and the manner in which it is superior to those mechanisms (identifying the mechanism) so we can discuss in what specific, tangible, verifiable way cryptocurrencies have value beyond being ugly e-tulips

you just disagree with it in a fact-free way where nothing you say ever has enough factual content to be discussed

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Blade Runner posted:

Even in a system where Buttcoin is used for every transaction, its many technical flaws and the difficulty regarding insuring it would make it bluntly inferior for most uses

Also feel free to quote all my effort posts in a couple years, I stand by them. If each Bit is worth a trillion dollars, I will stand by what I said.

I'm counting on it and I look forward to that moment!

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

RottenK posted:

I remember Seraph, but I had no idea that he was unemployed. I though he was one of the people who won the scam lottery and decided that they're financial geniuses.

he would like to pretend he won the lottery but every time he gets banned he has to take a couple of weeks to scrounge up $10 again

fbsw
Mar 3, 2016

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Ham Sandwiches posted:

I'm counting on it and I look forward to that moment!

He says, with increasing feelings of dread.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

univbee posted:

I agree, TOS Violations costing individuals 5 figure sums is both cool and good.
if they're circumventing US law then yeah it is unironically cool and good

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

There's basically no point at which @dril tweets can't be posted in response to a thing

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

evilweasel posted:

so you disagree with it, but not with enough facts to point to a single way in which you can answer this question:

you just disagree with it in a fact-free way where nothing you say ever has enough factual content to be discussed

Imagine if you had to substantiate your "8 transactions a second" into a coherent argument that was expanded, like "Scaling issues will doom Cryptocoin adoptions, given that bitcoins can't scale past 8 transactions per second and that's a hard limit, Bitcoin can never reach beyond X point or the transaction volume will be an issue"

But see that opens you up to discussion, like "What if people use other coins for transactional stuff and bitcoins for larger ones?" And you even tried to pre empt that argument.

So like, the purpose of this is to have a discussion, but your particular frame was Bitcoins only, 8 transactions per second, no additional details or scenario as to how that 8 transactions will come to a head, no explanation for why alternative coins will stop existing other than you just trying really really hard to set that as a term of discussion, and then smugly repeating the claim.

So what I'm saying is when you say dumb poo poo like 8 transactions per second, you are either ill informed or misleading others on purpose. If you were to substantiate your argument into something coherent we could tell which it is. Alas, you are only interested in critiquing others positions, not asserting any yourself. To what end, I don't understand.

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same

Who What Now posted:

Until it gets hacked, or goes offline, or the site admin steals it all and you lose everything. You know, like has happened multiple times before.

Well I'm laughing at you and you're slowly turning into a corncob, so I really am unsure who you think is which.

then that's the risk i run if i keep them there. i can transfer off site to mitigate that. it's not hard. it's actually easy as heck..

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

*says that all exchanges are unlicensed, unregulated money laundering rings*

*complains that exchanges comply with banking and AML laws*

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
"I don't think Bitcoin will succeed, but I look forward to proving all the detractors wrong when it inevitably succeeds like I know it will!" -Ham Sandwich

:allears:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Uranium 235 posted:

if they're circumventing US law then yeah it is unironically cool and good

If people are circumventing laws you arrest them and seize their assets formally, you don't give some random company permission to pocket people's wallets in a citizen's arrest.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

univbee posted:

If people are circumventing laws you arrest them and seize their assets formally, you don't give some random company permission to pocket people's wallets in a citizen's arrest.
wow i just learned that exchanges have the authority to arrest their customers lol cool

banks routinely shut down accounts when they believe the accounts are being used criminally

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

scott zoloft posted:

then that's the risk i run if i keep them there. i can transfer off site to mitigate that. it's not hard. it's actually easy as heck..

"im not hacked! im not hacked!!", i continue to insist as my bank account slowly shrinks and transforms into a corn cob

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
They don't just shut it down though they freeze it and investigate and give you something other than the PayPal middle finger of old.

quote:

And then if you do that you take on the risk of loss on your end through drive failure or forgetting the password to the wallet or whatever. Don't say that never happens either.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Uranium 235 posted:

banks routinely shut down accounts when they believe the accounts are being used criminally

Yes and there's a process you can go through for dealing with that, not just a support email hole.

Also when a bank does it they explicitly tell you why, not just "we're closing your account down."

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

COMRADES posted:

They don't just shut it down though they freeze it and investigate and give you something other than the PayPal middle finger of old.

And then if you do that you take on the risk of loss on your end through drive failure or forgetting the password to the wallet or whatever. Don't say that never happens either.
if you read the message that coinbase sends to its users after closing their accounts, they say that the customer still has access to their balance and can transfer it elsewhere

they aren't just stealing their customer's poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fbsw
Mar 3, 2016
y'all should spend less time posting on the internet forums and spend more time making some serious bitcoin

• Locked thread