Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/NoDQClothing/status/918478796747100162

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Heres an idea

Wrestling is fake and weight and gender shouldn't matter because it's all dumb video game fights anyways
Tell that to the geriatric autist who owns the company

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

The junior tags are doing better then the heavy weights right now. The last 4 title matches have been a variation of the same match and KES sucks.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Heres an idea

Wrestling is fake and weight and gender shouldn't matter because it's all dumb video game fights anyways

Wrestling is supposed to allow you to suspend disbelief and in real combat sports weight and gender do matter so such things can be useful. Furthermore, misogyny is very real so gender definitely should matter so male power fantasies aren't played out through intergender matches.

But hey, wrestling keeps getting less popular the more it is treated as a dumb video game fight where nothing matters so let's keep at it.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Like I remember people in here way back in the day got all mad because they made Rey the world champ even though he was SMALL

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Yes, wrestling will surely regain the popularity it once had if they strive for *realism* and everyone will totally buy it, even though no one ever bought wrestling being real even back during the famous Smoke Filled Bingo Hall days of yore

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Heres an idea

Don't watch New Japan

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Two Beans posted:

Does the Junior Heavyweight division not have its own tag titles in addition to a singles title?

Do heavyweights regularly clown on the juniors?

Do junior matches get bumped off the main card, do they get truncated to 5 minute match times?

Are juniors not given special entrances for their matches?

Are Junior Heavyweight Champions chumped on pay per views by wedding DJs with funny hair, then written off because "creative has nothing for them"?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

MassRafTer posted:

Wrestling is supposed to allow you to suspend disbelief and in real combat sports weight and gender do matter so such things can be useful. Furthermore, misogyny is very real so gender definitely should matter so male power fantasies aren't played out through intergender matches.

No one says anything about weight classes or male power fantasies when Scarlett Johansson beats up a bunch of dudes

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

It's extremely unbelievable for a smaller person to even look a bigger person in the eye, nevermind compete with them. All of the sarcasm and flexing in the world will not change this. I'll show you first-hand if you continue fooling around in this manner

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

No one says anything about weight classes or male power fantasies when Scarlett Johansson beats up a bunch of dudes

Wrestling is not the movies and there's plenty of movies where that criticism comes up.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

there's plenty of movies where that criticism comes up.

From wheezing pendants

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Rehire Hornswoggle and have him beat Kevin Owens clean, imho.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

From wheezing pendants

So wrestling fans.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

We cannot make wrestling more inclusive and diverse because appealing to more people will make less people watch it

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Wasn't Rey's World Title run pretty much a joke? All I really remember from it is Big Show and JBL tossing him around like a rag doll

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

We cannot make wrestling more inclusive and diverse because appealing to more people will make less people watch it

Look at how successful Lucha Underground was!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Eli Wiggum posted:

Wasn't Rey's World Title run pretty much a joke? All I really remember from it is Big Show and JBL tossing him around like a rag doll

You forgot Khali doing the same then!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

DeathChicken posted:

Yes, wrestling will surely regain the popularity it once had if they strive for *realism* and everyone will totally buy it, even though no one ever bought wrestling being real even back during the famous Smoke Filled Bingo Hall days of yore

yeah this is why films routinely put laughy jokes about how they're fake in them because nobody actually believes they're real. books, too, are filled with notes calling the reader a dumbass for thinking fiction is real

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

gimme a hell yeah

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

The ideal promotion has 13 weight classes, 5 guys in each class, only 3 of those classes are worth watching, and they only fight each other every 3 to 4 months to properly sell their injuries. I call it UFC.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

Look at how successful Lucha Underground was!

Ha the limited success of an obscure non touring wrestling promotion on a channel most people haven't even heard of proves my point

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's on Netflix.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Ha the limited success of an obscure non touring wrestling promotion on a channel most people haven't even heard of proves my point

"limited success" is a great euphemism for losing shitloads of money and selling Zero Tickets

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Ha the limited success of an obscure non touring wrestling promotion on a channel most people haven't even heard from proves my point

Limited success? It lost tons of money and viewership went down even as the channel became more available. Also it was cancelled off its widest distribution channel after one season.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Mel Mudkiper posted:

So the promotion that meets your ideals for competition has limited success and you want to ignore that.

:thunk:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Lucha Underground is a promotion with a tiny, vocal fanbase which sells Zero Tickets, loses tons of money, and is only alive because of money marks. It is basically TNA.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Surely intergender violence will help *ratings nosedive every week after it happens*

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Limited success is a synonym for unsuccessful, not a synonym for "a little bit of success"

I cannot believe I have to point that out

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

to be fair there are reasons beyond the style that caused lucha underground to lose a lot of money, like the people in charge not trying anything that could make them money and doing seasons for a group used to wrestling every week without stoppages

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Limited success is a synonym for unsuccessful, not a synonym for "a little bit of success"

then why would it being unsuccessful prove your point

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The word is "Flop"

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Somehow the problems of intergender wrestling matches and the "problems" of wrestling matches in which a little guy competes with a big guy don't quite correlate

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Amount of money made is also a terrible indicator of anything. Lucha Underground is a good show with bad management so it makes poo poo money. WWE is a terrible show that knows how to make money. Success is not an indication of quality.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
There is a good reason why Jinder is the champ and the Singh brothers are the hired help and not the other way around, lets not kid ourselves.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

exploded mummy posted:

Surely intergender violence will help *ratings nosedive every week after it happens*

Perspective matters, its the classic fighting game narrative.

If you book an intergender match as being a man, who is strong, against a woman, who is not strong, obviously it's gonna be a turn off to the audience to see a man fighting a woman.

If you sell the match up to the audience as the two being equal competitors, the gendered nature of the violence is annulled.

The turn off to inter gender violence comes when the woman is implicitly suggested to be inherently inferior.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Lucha Underground is a promotion with a tiny, vocal fanbase which sells Zero Tickets, loses tons of money, and is only alive because of money marks. It is basically TNA.

That's not a fair comparison at all.

It took TNA way longer to kill off all their positive buzz.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Gumball Gumption posted:

Amount of money made is also a terrible indicator of anything. Lucha Underground is a good show with bad management so it makes poo poo money. WWE is a terrible show that knows how to make money. Success is not an indication of quality.

wrestling is about getting asses in seats. it is show business. there are promotions that sell tickets specifically based on quality, but for whatever reason this poo poo isn't working for LU.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

then why would it being unsuccessful prove your point

It was sarcasm. My point was that a small company on a small channel that doesn't tour or even do regular shows being unsuccessful is not unsuccessful because they have inter gender matches and it's disingenuous to suggest as much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gumball Gumption posted:

That's why I included two indicators, money lost and audience lost. The show was cancelled by one network and as El Rey was available in MORE homes, less people watched.

The show also has zero buzz now so even the people watching don't talk about it much.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

It was sarcasm. My point was that a small company on a small channel that doesn't tour or even do regular shows being unsuccessful is not unsuccessful because they have inter gender matches and it's disingenuous to suggest as much.

They wanted to tour but the company has flopped and those plans kept being kicked down the road.

• Locked thread