Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.
I think FF 57 might be a nice opportunity to turn this into a new thread. We're at 206 pages on this one, and 57 is big enough of a chance that it'll probably cause quite the commotion.

[edit]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lightinwater
Jan 1, 2014
I'll enter my probably unanswerable given the scope of this thread question to hasten its demise then; is there any reason that login details will not sync to my phone install? I've tried repeated re-installs and different versions/betas. Everything else seems to sync fine and it all shows up on the account page but bugger me if i can get it to work

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

lightinwater posted:

I'll enter my probably unanswerable given the scope of this thread question to hasten its demise then; is there any reason that login details will not sync to my phone install? I've tried repeated re-installs and different versions/betas. Everything else seems to sync fine and it all shows up on the account page but bugger me if i can get it to work

Is logins checked in this menu? (click hamburger menu -> account name)

It's a bit of a dick at remembering settings it seems. I have been trying to check "bookmark" a few times now, but it keeps unchecking itself.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

For the 0.01% that use it (myself included), Apple FINALLY updated the iCloud bookmarks plugin to be compatible with Firefox 64bit.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Is there a good plugin that stops autoplay of embedded videos? News sites in particular are awful.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

slidebite posted:

Is there a good plugin that stops autoplay of embedded videos? News sites in particular are awful.

Embedded flash players should be click-to-enable already. For HTML5 video, you can set media.autoplay.enabled to false in about :config I believe

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Hargrimm posted:

Embedded flash players should be click-to-enable already. For HTML5 video, you can set media.autoplay.enabled to false in about :config I believe
This setting should really be called allow.media.play.by.javascript because it doesn't just prevent autoplay, it completely disables any sort of scripting event from initiating playback. This breaks the play buttons on basically every HTML5 video player out there. You have to learn a lot of tricks like hitting spacebar and right clicking once or twice to find the "play" entry in the context menu for the video element.

It sucks, and has been like this forever without any attention from Mozilla. However, Google just announced that they are disabling autoplay in a future Chrome version. So that will likely mean Mozilla's desire to copy Chrome will take precedence and they'll duplicate whatever Google does. In this particular case, I'll be pleased. Setting media.autoplay.enabled to false sucks but is so necessary these days.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Thanks folks, hopefully it's something they can properly address

lightinwater
Jan 1, 2014

Ola posted:

Is logins checked in this menu? (click hamburger menu -> account name)

It's a bit of a dick at remembering settings it seems. I have been trying to check "bookmark" a few times now, but it keeps unchecking itself.

For sure, checked and unchecked repeatedly. You can't even import details from chrome (which would be perverse) on mobile (sync, of course, works fine for chrome)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Snuffman posted:

For the 0.01% that use it (myself included), Apple FINALLY updated the iCloud bookmarks plugin to be compatible with Firefox 64bit.

This is a pipe dream but I wish there was a solution for iCloud Keychain.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Any translation app you guys can recommend for 57? I'm using Google Translator (not by Google), but it's incompatible, and probably not going to be updated.

Basically it allows me to highlight text, and then after a click the pop-up with the translation shows up.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

mike12345 posted:

Any translation app you guys can recommend for 57? I'm using Google Translator (not by Google), but it's incompatible, and probably not going to be updated.

Basically it allows me to highlight text, and then after a click the pop-up with the translation shows up.

I'm personally using To Google Translate. You can set the "from" and "to" languages in the options. I set the "from" to "auto" and the "to" to "en".

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich

mike12345 posted:

I like Open in Google™ Translate

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

From what I can tell, both of those don't support some kind of popup window, but redirect you to Google's page instead. So apparently that function has been disabled with webextension, is my guess. Ah well I'll give them a try, thanks.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Fangs404 posted:

I think FF 57 might be a nice opportunity to turn this into a new thread. We're at 206 pages on this one, and 57 is big enough of a chance that it'll probably cause quite the commotion.

[edit]

What happens in 57?

And why won't Pocket work anymore

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

PirateBob posted:

What happens in 57?

XUL extensions die. People have been threatening to quit Firefox over it. It's kind of a big deal.

Also Pocket's still there.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

PirateBob posted:

What happens in 57?

57 is when they roll out their new UI, kill support for "legacy" extensions, and introduce some major performance enhancements (search for Firefox Quantum). It will the biggest change to Firefox at least since they rolled out Australis back in 2014 and arguably since they moved to their current rapid release cycle with Firefox 4 in 2011.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

dont be mean to me posted:

XUL extensions die. People have been threatening to quit Firefox over it. It's kind of a big deal.

Also Pocket's still there.

Mr.Radar posted:

57 is when they roll out their new UI, kill support for "legacy" extensions, and introduce some major performance enhancements (search for Firefox Quantum). It will the biggest change to Firefox at least since they rolled out Australis back in 2014 and arguably since they moved to their current rapid release cycle with Firefox 4 in 2011.

XUL/Legacy extentions being most extentions, right? What's wrong with them? Why would they kill the biggest selling point of the browser?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

PirateBob posted:

XUL/Legacy extentions being most extentions, right? What's wrong with them? Why would they kill the biggest selling point of the browser?

Yes.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

PirateBob posted:

Because getting rid of a terrible API allows them to make the browser actually perform well on modern machines.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Mr.Radar posted:

Hold up, Noscript is listed as a legacy extension. This better get corrected before 57 comes around.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

spit on my clit posted:

Hold up, Noscript is listed as a legacy extension. This better get corrected before 57 comes around.

Noscript is getting updated for 57, but also it's got a history of dodgy behavior, AdBlock Plus-style.

You want a script-blocker, get uMatrix, from the guy who brought us uBlock Origin.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

spit on my clit posted:

Does uBlock Origin not take care of most of those duties?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

uBlock Origin's advanced mode with the grid allows you to selectively block javascript already, including only allowing a specific source for a single specific website like NoScript never could afaik. The interface is a bit obtuse, admittedly.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

dont be mean to me posted:

Noscript is getting updated for 57, but also it's got a history of dodgy behavior, AdBlock Plus-style.

This is the first I'm hearing of that! I'll try uMatrix later

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Does uBlock Origin not take care of most of those duties?

uBlock and uMatrix obsoleted Ghostery, NoScript, etc years ago yes.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Avenging Dentist posted:

Because getting rid of a terrible API allows them to make the browser actually perform well on modern machines.

Firefox performs perfectly fine as it is.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Firefox 57 is Chrome levels of fast. Plus killing XUL means I haven't had a single instance of a runaway memory leak since I installed it. WebExtension addons so far seem to be resistant to the crazy memory leaks Firefox used to have.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

PirateBob posted:

Firefox performs perfectly fine as it is.

You haven't tried 57 have you?

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Avenging Dentist posted:

You haven't tried 57 have you?

No, and nor do I care to. Don't really care about performance improvements, I like my extensions.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

I installed Firefox 56 and loaded up my last profile I'd backed up prior to moving to Vivaldi in August last year. I really wanted to see if the jank was as bad as I remembered.

It was worse. I had about 10 extensions installed but nothing I thought was too dramatic, Classic Theme Restorer probably being the worst of the legacy XUL stuff.

Night and day doesn't describe the difference between 56 and 57. I could never go back to the old Firefox and I've been using it since the Firebird builds. Most of the things I want the extensions to do are sorted with webextensions so I'm chuffed enough.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.
Those of you that use DownThemAll!, did you see that the dev had a change of heart and is actually working on a WebExtensions version?

https://www.downthemall.net/progress/
https://www.downthemall.net/patronage-and-progress/

This makes my day. This and Greasemonkey are the only extensions I use that are still legacy.

Regarding Greasemonkey, I've seen Tampermonkey and Violentmonkey most commonly discussed as alternatives. Any opinions? I haven't tried either, but right now, I'm leaning towards Violentmonkey purely because it's open source, and Tampermonkey isn't.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I was going to try both. I installed Violentmonkey first and all my scripts worked fine, so I didn't bother checking Tampermonkey.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Since Tab Center died the only extension I really find myself using frequently is Advanced Locationbar. Sadly, it's listed as Legacy. Is there anything that can do what it does (linkify segments of the address bar) that won't be killed in 57?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

The last extension I've been waiting for to be updated for Quantum is now in beta.

LastPass

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
They need to get over themselves and support most of the CTR stuff and they could save some users. Whatever on the spectrum chrome fixated people that have infested mozilla need to be removed.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Yeah it’s the people who don’t have a bizarre fetish for outdated UI that are on The Spectrum.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I've got the userchrome.css setting to put tabs-on-bottom, but now my window is ordered:

titlebar
menubar
bookmark bar
urlbar
tabs

Can I put the bookmark bar below the urlbar with another piece of CSS?

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Probably, but I don’t think anyone could say how unless you post your userChrome. -moz-box-ordinal-group (I think that’s the CSS property) should let you mess with stuff if you want to dink around with it yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Yeah, I've given that a little shot, but ordinal-group doesn't seem to be as simple as Y-height or anything.

Before starting anything:

code:
#TabsToolbar { 
-moz-box-ordinal-group: 2; 
} 
I've tried adding
code:
#BookmarksToolbar { 
-moz-box-ordinal-group: 2; 
} 
Which didn't do anything, then trying to change the values of them, but without any success.