Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Bill Goldberg posted:

doesn't Chikara, the family friendly indie for all ages, run intergender matches

yup

MassRafTer posted:

And their business and buzz has fallen way off in recent years.

The Kimberly run was one of their bigger draws. Same with Heidi Lovelace. Business has fallen off because most of the name talent has gone other places.

Hell, remember Sara Del Rey? Its not like they suddenly decided this a year ago, women competing equal with men has literally been there since the beginning. The only thing that changed was a woman winning a non-gendered World Title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

MassRafTer posted:

Love the WWE is just a performance art and not a worked sport on the eve of Vince once again selling the product as sports programming to try to get those rights fees.

Something they spent two whole years doing during the last set of negotiations. But hey Vince is out of touch he doesn't know what his product is.

I genuinely do not understand what your point is here

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

You might think Chikara is doing badly because of a lack of big names, Quack's difficulty to work with, and their convoluted story line, but actually it is because women and men can fake fight each other.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Bill Goldberg posted:

i don't think that's because they let the girls fight the boys

I wouldn't either but it sure didn't go the way Quack wanted.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I think occasional intergender wrestling would be pretty cool to give some of the wrestlers some interesting storylines. I mean keep the divisions still, but allow there to he some crossover every once in a while so the women aren't just crammed into their meager cubbyhole of nothing feuds and fatal 4 way matches in the middle of the show because they don't care enough about the division to make a main event worthy storyline.

Or just book the women's division well, that'd be neat too.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Right, WWE was not presenting its main product as a sport because it would literally pause RAW a few times a week to say "and now for a SPORT in between all this wrestling"

So you think that WWE didn't promote their business as a sport in the Attitude Era except in the selective cases where you want to ignore it and pretend that it didn't happen.

Again.

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
Chikara isn't in the toilet because they stopped doing anything for a year and they have nobody, it's because of Sara Del Rey fighting Ophidian

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

MassRafTer posted:

I wouldn't either but it sure didn't go the way Quack wanted.

Well he shut the company down.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Chikara is irrelevant.

And also they don't matter in this discussion, because they don't have a basic cable TV deal and real advertisers.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

WWE sells their product to TV stations as sports programming, not as a drama, comedy or action-adventure series. They market it as a sport and compare it to sports.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

exploded mummy posted:

So you think that WWE didn't promote their business as a sport in the Attitude Era except in the selective cases where you want to ignore it and pretend that it didn't happen.

Again.

Thats not at all what I said. I said they didn't market their business as a sport specifically because they did a special one-time event where the whole appeal was "here look, an actual sport instead of what you expect"

The NFL doesn't market itself as a theater company because once a year they put on a big half-time show

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

MassRafTer posted:

WWE sells their product to TV stations as sports programming, not as a drama, comedy or action-adventure series. They market it as a sport and compare it to sports.

They also attempt to buy off ESPN like the NFL does to cut down on investigative journalism too!

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

Unless its the longest running weekly scripted television program!

Like, did you just forget when they didn't shut up about that for a year

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If you click the Sports filter on TVguide.com it shows WWE.

They are literally the guide to television. What higher authority is there?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

They don't say scripted.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Actually they called it episodic, not scripted.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

'did you forget that they said this thing for a year?' *forgets what they said*

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

rare Magic card l00k posted:

Actually they called it episodic, not scripted.

my bad

still pretty much the same thing though. Episode inherently suggests scripted television. The NFL doesn't call its games episodes.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Hey guys, the wrestlers beat the poo poo out of each other each monday, then work a house show during the week, and do it all again on monday. Why do those loser UFC fighters need months to heal up? They're both real!

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Can this just be the eternal thread title?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

my bad

still pretty much the same thing though. Episode inherently suggests scripted television. The NFL doesn't call its games episodes.

WWE loves weird jargon and awkward phrasing.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Thats not at all what I said. I said they didn't market their business as a sport specifically because they did a special one-time event where the whole appeal was "here look, an actual sport instead of what you expect"

The NFL doesn't market itself as a theater company because once a year they put on a big half-time show

Wrestling is about finding popular gimmicks and angles to draw attendance and to handwave it away because it wasn't popular or successful enough is like saying that intergender violence is great but ignore how it totally killed Lucha Underground ratings it's all about context man.

It rings hollow and is selectively ignoring evidence that does disprove the point.

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
i don't understand why the budget for the military is so high when we have The Avengers, and the Justice League as well, soon

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

exploded mummy posted:

Wrestling is about finding popular gimmicks and angles to draw attendance and to handwave it away because it wasn't popular or successful enough is like saying that intergender violence is great but ignore how it totally killed Lucha Underground ratings it's all about context man.

It rings hollow and is selectively ignoring evidence that does disprove the point.

there is no evidence inter-gender violence killed Lucha Underground's ratings though. I am not ignoring it, I am saying its not true.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
Who'd win in a real fight? The runner-up in the May Young Classic, or anyone else on the roster with the exception of the Universal Champion?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Mel Mudkiper posted:

my bad

Game shows are episodic

So are reality shows

The news is episodic

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

there is no evidence inter-gender violence killed Lucha Underground's ratings though. I am not ignoring it, I am saying its not true.

The Season 3 decline started right after Sexy Star's one week reign.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mel Mudkiper posted:

my bad

Not the individual games, no. The television show "Monday Night Football" has episodes.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

Is that evidence people didn't want to see intergender violence or evidence people didn't want to see Sexy Star

For the record, I want to see neither

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

wrestling is both a fake sport and performance art. it is a unique business, and one that i'll defend with my life. But I also think cruiserweights and other smaller folks shouldn't be allowed to fight big people because it looks too fake and makes me want to stop watching it. That's why i stopped watching lucha underground, chikara, and whenever WWF had maven eliminate the undertaker.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

exploded mummy posted:

Game shows are episodic

So are reality shows

The news is episodic

fair

MassRafTer posted:

That wasn't their first inter-gender match though. Its been there since season 1. Sounds like a bad champ lowered ratings, not the fact she is a woman.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
I don't like watching inter-gender matches. I also get uncomfortable when there are man vs. woman fight scenes in movies. It's like trusting Quentin Tarantino with the N-word, is he really doing it for the integrity of the art or does he just want to write a script with a bunch of N-bombs in it?

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
SHUT UUUUUUUUUUUUUP!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

fair

That wasn't their first inter-gender match though. Its been there since season 1. Sounds like a bad champ lowered ratings, not the fact she is a woman.

The show was also cancelled on its biggest outlet after Season 1.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

RacistGuidingLight posted:

SHUT UUUUUUUUUUUUUP!

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Chris James 2 posted:

Is that evidence people didn't want to see intergender violence or evidence people didn't want to see Sexy Star

The ratings drop didn't happen until after she LOST the title, so if ratings drops are because people didn't want to see her then they should have gone up after she lost.

I can imagine nobody on earth caring about seeing Johnny Mundo though.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
My favorite PWG match had Candice LaRae get kicked in the head with thumbtacks and it was really cool live and it was very fun. I liked it ok thank you bye. :)

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

RacistGuidingLight posted:

SHUT UUUUUUUUUUUUUP!

I will but only counting right after this has been posted. I'm poosting it right now so it starts now. Right here after this in 3. 2. 1.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Chris James 2 posted:

If I remember right there was a consistent trend where the ratings would go down for a few weeks after every episode with an intergender match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Anyway isn't the Carmella/Ellsworth stuff already enough for you creeps? Have you heard of clips4sale?

• Locked thread