Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

OctoberCountry posted:

If I remember right there was a consistent trend where the ratings would go down for a few weeks after every episode with an intergender match.

Yeah, I'm trying g to find the numbers now bit no one bothers reporting on this dead promotion that had intergender matches as something that the creators viewed as making it unique.

I'll have to dig through luchablog later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

MassRafTer posted:

The Season 3 decline started right after Sexy Star's one week reign.

MassRafTer posted:

The show was also cancelled on its biggest outlet after Season 1.

I feel like you are really grasping at straws to try and prove your point

At first the proof was that LU declined after having a woman champ.

Then when that was pointed out to be misleading, you started saying that actually they were never strong at all because of intergender wrestling.

Are you seriously suggesting the primary, or even a major contribution, to the weakness of LU after its first season was women wrestling men and not the myriad of other significant problems it had?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I feel like you are really grasping at straws to try and prove your point

At first the proof was that LU declined after having a woman champ.

Then when that was pointed out to be misleading, you started saying that actually they were never strong at all because of intergender wrestling.

Are you seriously suggesting the primary, or even a major contribution, to the weakness of LU after its first season was women wrestling men and not the myriad of other significant problems it had?

My main point is Lucha Underground is a failure. Early on the showrunners pointed to things like inter gender wrestling as an important selling feature of the show and how progressive it was. The show did not take off and lost its main outlet. So something about it wasn't connecting. A main selling point would be this.

Then, in Season 3 they put the title on Sexy Star and viewership fell right after.

Why did it get canned? It doesn't connect with its audience, but to think a major selling point of the show had nothing to do with that is idiotic.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

MassRafTer posted:

Why did it get canned? It doesn't connect with its audience, but to think a major selling point of the show had nothing to do with that is idiotic.

An overbudget experimental niche product on a small cable channel had a lot more reasons for failing than the fact they advertised intergender matches

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

An overbudget experimental niche product on a small cable channel had a lot more reasons for failing than the fact they advertised intergender matches

The budget is irrelevant to the Unimas cancellation. The show did not attract the viewers or advertisers they expected. The on screen product is the reason for that.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

One of the best live matches I ever saw was Heidi Lovelace vs. Donovan Dijack and I hope NXT starts running intergender matches.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Sorry to be talking but i found out i just can't shut up when it comes to wrestling. I'd love to see all kinds of matches between all the wrestlers. imagine Apollo Crews versus Rhyno in an empty arena match. imagine Apollo Crews versus Rhyno in a stretcher match. imagine Apollo Crews versus Rhyno in a tables match. imagine Apollo Crews versus Rhyno in a casket match. imagine Apollo Crews versus Rhyno in an ambulance match. imagine Apollo Crews versus Rhyno in a strap match. imagine Apollo Crews versus Rhyno in a buried alive match. imagine Apollo Crews versus Rhyno in a triple cage match. imagine Apollo Crews versus Rhyno in a punjabi prison match. imagine Apollo Crews versus Rhyno in a straitjacket match. imagine Apollo Crews versus Rhyno in a tuxedo match. imagine Apollo Crews versus Rhyno in a dumpster match. imagine Apollo Crews versus Rhyno in a cage match. imagine Apollo Crews versus Rhyno in a hell in a cell match. imagine Apollo Crews versus Rhyno in an inferno match. imagine Apollo Crews versus Rhyno in a chairs match. imagine Apollo Crews versus Rhyno in a ladder match. imagine Apollo Crews versus Rhyno in a street fight match. imagine Apollo Crews versus Rhyno in a kiss my rear end match. imagine Apollo Crews versus Rhyno in a loser leaves town match. imagine Apollo Crews versus Rhyno in a no holds barred match. imagine Apollo Crews versus Rhyno in a clockwork orange house of fun match. imagine Apollo Crews versus Rhyno in a hardcore match. imagine Apollo Crews versus Rhyno in a last man standing match. and so on

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon

Cavauro posted:

Sorry to be talking but i found out i just can't shut up when it comes to wrestling. I'd love to see all kinds of matches between all the wrestlers. imagine Apollo Crews versus Rhyno in an empty arena match. imagine Apollo Crews versus Rhyno in a stretcher match. imagine Apollo Crews versus Rhyno in a tables match. imagine Apollo Crews versus Rhyno in a casket match. imagine Apollo Crews versus Rhyno in an ambulance match. imagine Apollo Crews versus Rhyno in a strap match. imagine Apollo Crews versus Rhyno in a buried alive match. imagine Apollo Crews versus Rhyno in a triple cage match. imagine Apollo Crews versus Rhyno in a punjabi prison match. imagine Apollo Crews versus Rhyno in a straitjacket match. imagine Apollo Crews versus Rhyno in a tuxedo match. imagine Apollo Crews versus Rhyno in a dumpster match. imagine Apollo Crews versus Rhyno in a cage match. imagine Apollo Crews versus Rhyno in a hell in a cell match. imagine Apollo Crews versus Rhyno in an inferno match. imagine Apollo Crews versus Rhyno in a chairs match. imagine Apollo Crews versus Rhyno in a ladder match. imagine Apollo Crews versus Rhyno in a street fight match. imagine Apollo Crews versus Rhyno in a kiss my rear end match. imagine Apollo Crews versus Rhyno in a loser leaves town match. imagine Apollo Crews versus Rhyno in a no holds barred match. imagine Apollo Crews versus Rhyno in a clockwork orange house of fun match. imagine Apollo Crews versus Rhyno in a hardcore match. imagine Apollo Crews versus Rhyno in a last man standing match. and so on

the advertisers are going to see a white guy beating up a black guy and then they won't want to advertise on raw!

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

The budget is irrelevant to the Unimas cancellation. The show did not attract the viewers or advertisers they expected. The on screen product is the reason for that.

and you think the onscreen product's failure to catch on was because of intergender matches? Its not like letting women wrestle men was the only or even primary way LU was marketing itself as different. Even without intergender matches, it was still an experimental single-camera weekly bulk recorded television show that emphasized telenovela storytelling side-by-side with the wrestling. There are a ton of reasons the product didn't catch on.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Corkscrew 630s dont happen in real sports and neither do canadian destroyers. Case closed imo

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

MassRafTer posted:

But hey Vince is out of touch he doesn't know what his product is.

Agreed

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

and you think the onscreen product's failure to catch on was because of intergender matches? Its not like letting women wrestle men was the only or even primary way LU was marketing itself as different. Even without intergender matches, it was still an experimental single-camera weekly bulk recorded television show that emphasized telenovela storytelling side-by-side with the wrestling. There are a ton of reasons the product didn't catch on.

No I think it failed because it stinks and no one wants to watch it, but when the producers keep bringing up intergender matches and how progressive it's fair to assume that's part of it. Could just be that Sexy Star sucks and no one likes her too!

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Bill Goldberg posted:

the advertisers are going to see a white guy beating up a black guy and then they won't want to advertise on raw!

This is 2017 america, they'd just give Vince more money for it

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

MassRafTer posted:

No I think it failed because it stinks and no one wants to watch it, but when the producers keep bringing up intergender matches and how progressive it's fair to assume that's part of it. Could just be that Sexy Star sucks and no one likes her too!

They lost 25% of their viewership when Pentagon broke Brendas arm.

They lost 40% when Mundo punched out Sexy with brass knuckles.

They lost 25% when Crane beat the shut out of Taya.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Oct 12, 2017

bartok
May 10, 2006

So that Sister Abigail stuff sure was silly right?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Cavauro posted:

ctrl+f flag, 0 results smdh

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I totally forgot Austin Aires wasn't working with WWE anymore. A shame he was a decent wrestler but a better announcer.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
it's simple just have the women wrestlers never lose and only beat me up all the time

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
sorry meant the men wrestlers ha ha wow autocorrect huh what a kidder

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
nvm

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

MotU posted:

it's simple just have the women wrestlers never lose and only beat me up all the time

Okay james

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

projecthalaxy posted:

Corkscrew 630s dont happen in real sports and neither do canadian destroyers. Case closed imo

presenting wrestling as a sport does not mean that all wrestling promotions must be RINGS

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Feels Villeneuve posted:

presenting wrestling as a sport does not mean that all wrestling promotions must be RINGS

What is RINGS please

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

musicals are garbage

projecthalaxy posted:

What is RINGS please

It was a worked mma company.

I believe Kane worked there at one point.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

projecthalaxy posted:

What is RINGS please

Offshoot of an offshoot of the UWF that turned into an MMA fed until it lost to PRIDE.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

projecthalaxy posted:

What is RINGS please

Akira Maeda's shootstyle promotion that later became a full MMA promotion. They and UWFi were the two major worked shootstyle promotions of the 90s. Check out some Volk Han matches.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Volk Han has like 25 career worked matches or something and is still one of the best wrestlers ever

e) this is my ignorance of japan talking- i know japanese fans knew NJPW/AJPW/AJW etc were worked but wasn't there a lot of buzz initially that UWF/RINGS were real for a while?

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Oct 12, 2017

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
bring back bra & panties matches where I am the ref for all of them

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i love Volk Han so much

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

rings rules and I wish there was a promotion like it running today

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

This has been a great discussion and I am now thoroughly convinced I should never wrestle a dude

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002
Oh poo poo 100+ posts on a Thu, something important must ha-:yikes:

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Ragnarok the Red posted:

When was the last time a load of posts in a WWE discussion thread meant anything good.

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

All ears, all eyes, all the time!
when was the last time wwe did one of those awkward intergender tag matches where the match itself would come to a screeching halt every time a tag was made on account of the children's toy company they're beholden to said they couldn't have men and women fight one another anymore?

Fiveace Attorney
Dec 12, 2006

I ain't his friend! If you were to ask me if I was his friend, I would say "NO" to you!

Ragnarok the Red posted:

its a cool discussion about whether men should beat up women because thats the future of wrestling. stephanie mcmahon started the intergender revolution

Sugar Blaster posted:

when was the last time wwe did one of those awkward intergender tag matches where the match itself would come to a screeching halt every time a tag was made on account of the children's toy company they're beholden to said they couldn't have men and women fight one another anymore?
like never because they almost never book intergender matches that arent total comedy. but i guess you think its really hurting the business as opposed to eight hundred bajillion hours of programming every week featuring champions jinder mahal and guy who is never here

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Look I'm not advocating for the days of Bubba being aroused by powerboming women through tables but Stephanie should be owned regularly and not by an accidental spear

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdw9_B4gYbs

Fiveace Attorney
Dec 12, 2006

I ain't his friend! If you were to ask me if I was his friend, I would say "NO" to you!

Jackie D posted:

Look I'm not advocating for the days of Bubba being aroused by powerboming women through tables but Stephanie should be owned regularly and not by an accidental spear
stephanie shouldnt be on tv. the best i can say is she can get decent heel heat but shell never get any comeuppance that doesnt involve bumps. and she shouldnt need to bump to get her comeuppance

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Fiveace Attorney posted:

stephanie shouldnt be on tv. the best i can say is she can get decent heel heat but shell never get any comeuppance that doesnt involve bumps. and she shouldnt need to bump to get her comeuppance

The closet comeuppance she got in recent years in once when she was going off on a tirade and Dusty Rhodes did the "talk to the hand" gesture.

And he got in trouble for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Every male wrestler needs to buddy up with a female wrestler that they can call to beat up Steph for them. They will then repay the female wrestler by immediately going and beating up Shane. Even if Shane didn't do anything. This is true gender equality.

Roman caught Steph's hand when she went to slap him once and it was like, supposed to be a big deal? I think Sting did the same thing. I know Batista owned the poo poo outta her and then no sold the slap while Randy laughed his rear end off off camera.

• Locked thread