Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
So this is how the opioid crisis started.

While doing some research, I saw this today:

https://www.fda.gov/iceci/criminalinvestigations/ucm260715.htm

quote:

The FDA approved Actiq, a fentanyl product manufactured as a lollipop, for use only in opioid-tolerant cancer patients (meaning those patients for whom morphine-based painkillers are no longer effective). The drug is a strong and highly addictive narcotic, with significant potential for abuse. From 2001 through at least 2006, Cephalon was allegedly promoting the drug for non-cancer patients to use for such maladies as migraines, sickle-cell pain crises, injuries, and in anticipation of changing wound dressings or radiation therapy. Cephalon also promoted Actiq for use in patients who were not yet opioid-tolerant, and for whom it could have life-threatening results.

Apparently in the 2000s pharma companies literally put fentanyl in a lollipop. It was only supposed to be used for relief of cancer pain, but the company that made it sent sales reps to doctors offices flogging it for everything, including "such maladies as migraines, sickle-cell pain crises, injuries, and in anticipation of changing wound dressings or radiation therapy."

So the doctor would end up literally giving you a fentanyl lollipop for complaining about headaches.

And of course this incredibly illegal behavior was just settled with a slap-on-the-wrist fine and no one even went close to a jail. While normal folks get life in prison for selling a tiny bit of crack. gently caress these people. (End rant)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
drugs are for losers

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
Wanna put thar lolli in my anus

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
If we were truly free, you could buy lollipops made of whatever drug you like.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Those are devices used to treat dying cancer patients. They aren’t actually lollipops. Jesus Christ

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
in sunday school we made lollipops with real lemons

!

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I wonder if lawsuits are in order. I have a family member who became addicted to these lollipops in that same time period (I think they were prescribed to her for Lyme disease). Her addiction was very severe, it caused terrible rifts in her home life, and it took her years to kick the habit and get back to normal.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
We're all dead

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Where can I get one

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

facebook jihad posted:

Those are devices used to treat dying cancer patients. They aren’t actually lollipops. Jesus Christ

Supposed to be used to treat cancer patients. But if you read the linked article, the company that made it sent sales reps to doctors' offices and illegally convinced doctors to prescribe it for much less serious conditions like headaches. It's literally drug dealing. Except if you are a drug dealer while being a rich corporate executive, you don't go to jail apparently. Your company pays a fine and you keep your stock options and year-end bonus.

sincx fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Oct 12, 2017

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

sincx posted:

Supposed to be used to treat cancer patients. But if you read the linked article, the company that made it sent sales reps to doctors' offices and illegally convinced doctors to prescribe it for much less serious conditions like headaches. It's literally drug dealing. Except if you are a drug dealer while being a rich corporate executive, you don't go to jail. Your company pays a fine and you keep stock options and year-end bonus.
Mhmm. Mhmm. Very sad. And which doctors' offices, specifically?

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

sincx posted:

Supposed to be used to treat cancer patients. But if you read the linked article, the company that made it sent sales reps to doctors' offices and illegally convinced doctors to prescribe it for much less serious conditions like headaches. It's literally drug dealing. Except if you are a drug dealer while being a rich corporate executive, you don't go to jail apparently. Your company pays a fine and you keep your stock options and year-end bonus.

Well yeah that is pretty lovely. But they aren’t actually lollipops, like the candy

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

I read about how these are used by military medics on people who have been shot and it's really clever. IIRC, the medics will basically tape one of these to the injured guy's hand and have him put the lollipop in his mouth. When he has received enough medication, he will naturally relax and pass out, letting his hand and the lolipop fall to his side. This way the medic doesn't have to stay with him and constantly monitor the amount of painkiller he is getting.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

sincx posted:

So this is how the opioid crisis started.

While doing some research, I saw this today:

https://www.fda.gov/iceci/criminalinvestigations/ucm260715.htm

Apparently in the 2000s pharma companies literally put fentanyl in a lollipop. It was only supposed to be used for relief of cancer pain, but the company that made it sent sales reps to doctors offices flogging it for everything, including "such maladies as migraines, sickle-cell pain crises, injuries, and in anticipation of changing wound dressings or radiation therapy."

So the doctor would end up literally giving you a fentanyl lollipop for complaining about headaches.

And of course this incredibly illegal behavior was just settled with a slap-on-the-wrist fine and no one even went close to a jail. While normal folks get life in prison for selling a tiny bit of crack. gently caress these people. (End rant)

available in doses up to 1600mcg

jesus christ :psyduck:

you'd have to have a hell of a tolerance for that not to kill you ten times over

Pawn 17 posted:

I read about how these are used by military medics on people who have been shot and it's really clever. IIRC, the medics will basically tape one of these to the injured guy's hand and have him put the lollipop in his mouth. When he has received enough medication, he will naturally relax and pass out, letting his hand and the lolipop fall to his side. This way the medic doesn't have to stay with him and constantly monitor the amount of painkiller he is getting.

yeah, but, uh, what if it gets stuck?

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

facebook jihad posted:

The issue with delivering a medication like fentanyl this way is that it's easy to overdose and if somebody doesn't have a high opioid tolerance overuse will either kill them outright or get them grievously addicted. Fentanyl is vastly more powerful than morphine and more addictive than heroin. There's very little reason for most people, even cancer patients, to use it unless they've exhausted all other options. Fentanyl drugs shouldn't be marketed at all because they are supposed to be a last line painkiller, there is nothing more powerful that is intended for human use. Writing people scrips for these and sending them home with them is unconscionable, fentanyl is the kind of thing that should only be administered by a doctor.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
goddamn man, i cant read that

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

Nut to Butt posted:

If we were truly free, you could buy lollipops made of whatever drug you like.

Plus we could smoke inside restaurants!

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Mirthless posted:

The issue with delivering a medication like fentanyl this way is that it's easy to overdose and if somebody doesn't have a high opioid tolerance overuse will either kill them outright or get them grievously addicted. Fentanyl is vastly more powerful than morphine and more addictive than heroin. There's very little reason for most people, even cancer patients, to use it unless they've exhausted all other options. Fentanyl drugs shouldn't be marketed at all because they are supposed to be a last line painkiller, there is nothing more powerful that is intended for human use. Writing people scrips for these and sending them home with them is unconscionable, fentanyl is the kind of thing that should only be administered by a doctor.

Yeah I completely agree and this poo poo is weird. But the existence of the lollipops is fine because their intentional use is for like terminal cancer patients in palliative care. If they are being marketed for literally anything else then that is crazy

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

Mirthless posted:

yeah, but, uh, what if it gets stuck?

then he's choking and will spit it out.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
What he said:

sincx posted:

What he meant:

sincx posted:

I’ve never had a severe migraine or cluster headache in my entire life ☺️

I’m not advocating using the most powerful painkiller out there for this, but come on man.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
who can get me some oxy

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Badass.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.

facebook jihad posted:

Yeah I completely agree and this poo poo is weird. But the existence of the lollipops is fine because their intentional use is for like terminal cancer patients in palliative care. If they are being marketed for literally anything else then that is crazy

No one said they shouldn't make them. Just that they're over-prescribed.

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
i used to get those in the hospital they were great

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Lol if you weren't in Iraq in the 00z sucking fenpops and shoootin hajs! Yeah! Woop Woop!

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
every morning i got one witj brrakfast

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
so can my doctor still hook me up with some samples? i got weekends

drans
Sep 1, 2016
Ramrod XTreme
The reason they put fentanyl in lollipops was because it was easier for late stage palliative patients to ingest

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

drans posted:

The reason they put fentanyl in lollipops was because it was easier for late stage palliative patients to ingest

hiw hard is it to injest a shot

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Enfield posted:

every morning i got one witj brrakfast

How many could you stick onto your weird burn wounds at a time

Millions of Crows
Mar 31, 2010

take a look overhead
Spin Magazine interviewed Evel Knievel around 1999 and those lolipops were keeping him from feeling every bone and joint he shattered.
Heavy narcotics have legit uses, but people loving love opiates and will get there fix however they can. Give them safer legal options and heroin and fenty wouldn't be a problem.
Drug prohibition started as a way to harass racial minorities, doing nothing to stop people using, now we have a worse situation. Risk and cost cause drug producers and dealers to seek more potent and cost effective formulas, giving us the poo poo we have now.

Just let people have straight opium like they did for thousands of years.

dsf
Jul 1, 2004
gently caress i remember these. my buddy in high school had a cousin with terminal cancer who had a crazy amount of opiate scripts for the fent pops, fent patches, OC 80s, vicodin 1000s etc. and would hook us up with whatever we wanted. Of course, once the cousin passed away we all ended up getting hooked on heroin, oops!

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

SCROTO TURBOSPERG posted:

How many could you stick onto your weird burn wounds at a time

i put thdm in my.mouth idiot

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Opiates are the Bees Knees!

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

drans posted:

Oh, so that’s why they didn’t put it in enchiladas.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Millions of Crows posted:

Spin Magazine interviewed Evel Knievel around 1999 and those lolipops were keeping him from feeling every bone and joint he shattered.
let professional and amateur daredevils suffer imo

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Patton Oswalt’s dead wife probably had one.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

drans posted:

yeah but that doesn't sell enough units

gently caress the pharmaceutical industry, seriously

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

facebook jihad posted:

facebook jihad posted:

lmao doctors gave out fentanyl lollipops like candy, what are you even arguing dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Victis posted:

lmao doctors gave out fentanyl lollipops like candy, what are you even arguing dude

well they ARE candy, so

• Locked thread