Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Maybe Earth is a sorting machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Well, we do have a pretty small sample size. We've only seen, what, five actual humans?

I am a little curious if old people stay old in this show's version of the afterlife, though. Maybe the real Good Place is so good that you don't even care if you eternally have the body of a 90-year-old.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

oh jay posted:

Earth is the Good Place.

gently caress that.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

pwn posted:

The phrase "ding-dong" did not originate with the charactor Trevor

So about the timeline of their deaths: I was thinking on it the other day, after it was brought up, and I can't remember if it was ever established that they actually all "came in" (died) at the same moment.

Eleanor died in Arizona, two time zones earlier than Ohio, where Tahani died. Tahani died at a party at the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame, which presumably was held at night. But in Phoenix, it was broad daylight when Eleanor beefed it under the boner pill truck. I think? I can't remember if her death was actually shown.

Anyway. It's entirely possible that these were just four people pulled from the bad-Bad Place by Michael. He had all of them on his chart in the season finale, he easily could have cherry-picked them from the tortured souls already present. Reset their memories and no-one's the wiser.

Or they could have all come in at the same moment and simply been held in limbo. Who knows

Season one finale Michael has the list of the four humans before he even conceives of the good place. He was designing a traditional badplace for those four before he conceived of a way of having more fun.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

New episode tonight

Tahani throws a dinner party to impress; and Eleanor and Jason both lend a hand when things don't go as planned.

That sounds like an episode of Family Matters, but I’m sure it will be a lot more complicated than that b

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Michael's wail as he faces his own mortality. hachi machi

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I really liked the millennials joke.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
What did the S1 descriptions sound like? Were they sitcommy like that?

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Ted Danson going full James Woods scumbag.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

holy gently caress Janette

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Arist posted:

holy gently caress Janette

Yeah, for real. Talk about a "take off glasses and let down the hair" moment.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

It's chinese for Japan.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The Eleanor flashbacks were :discourse:

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

oh jay posted:

Earth is the Good Place.

Which Earth?

Given that the current US President is literally going to withdraw aid from one US state, resulting in the deaths of thousands of US citizens in the aftermath of 2 hurricanes devastating the area, I'd argue that Earth is The Bad Place.

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe
I really like this show but Tahani is distractively attractive.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
I can't believe jason and tahani got to smush

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Interesting that there seems to be an implication that, even though the pairings were originally designed specifically to piss one-another off, Eleanor and Chidi and Tahani and Jason have kind of fallen into the roles that Michael placed them in as, if not soul mates, than at least kindred spirits in some way.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Its also kind of fascinating that a show is able to pull off characters that have had character development erased and not make it frustrating to watch. This is the Good Place Team from pretty early season 1, but I don't feel like I'm having my time wasted.

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.
What Michael never realized is that NOBODY has a real soul mate. People come together and love each other for various reasons... and a trying situation which he has created for them is one of those reasons. And when there are only four humans available, of course they’d pair off as they have.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
At first I was like "Why the hell is Tahani upset that people with magic powers are throwing a better party?" but then she realized how dumb that was.

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.

Lycus posted:

At first I was like "Why the hell is Tahani upset that people with magic powers are throwing a better party?" but then she realized how dumb that was.

I just wonder if Janet could’ve given her all the same stuff... it’s just as a mortal and a fantastic mortal party planner, she’d never think of it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
You know what I just realized?

Even though Jason is in the Bad Place, he's literally too dumb for the torture to work. He's loving living it up. Even in the first iteration where he had to seriously pretend to be Jianyu for a while, he still got to have quite literally the best butthole he could imagine (and given that we know Janet can summon cocaine, probably more drugs and booze than he'd ever seen in his life). The only one where it seemingly actually got to him was the one with the other silent monk, and he blew that one within a day because it got to him (any iteration where being Jianyu is actually a serious burden for him is an iteration that will immediately collapse). In this one, he just got to ride a loving unicorn, build an actual bear, and bang Tahani.

The idea was flawed from the outset, because this idea for a Bad Place cannot work for him, because he is legitimately too dumb to understand it, even when directly told. And Michael seems to realize it, because he seems to find Jason kind of adorable.

Also, the dance crew running gag is :perfect:

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Oct 13, 2017

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Budhole :colbert:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
:smugbert:

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
Yeah, the scale of 1 to 8 to 13 where 8 was the highest was amazing. I didn't much care for mid-life crisis Michael but other than that I liked the episode a lot.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Ted Danson is killing it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Not my favourite episode but a damned good Danson showcase. What an amazing comedic actor.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Dansen basically did "The Scream" at one point, which is a painting of existential angst.

Jason and Tahani getting together was kinda out of left field. It didn't really flow naturally from the events of the episode.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

I have a thing in the back of my head that the four of hem are really there to rehabilitate all of the demons and part of it is that they really are 'soulmates' but my theory isn't really fleshed out yet. But with the VCR tape two(?) weeks back and this weeks post-coital acceptance it's pushing things in that direction. And much love for Ted Danson, I can't believe he's almost 70!

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

PostNouveau posted:

Jason and Tahani getting together was kinda out of left field. It didn't really flow naturally from the events of the episode.
We've already seen Chidi and Eleanor in bed together (albeit in a past iteration), so I wonder if this is gonna be a running gag with an unpredictable pair of characters sleeping together every few episodes or so.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Eleanor and Tahani is a thing that will probably never happen because everyone wants it to happen.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Eleanor and Tahani is a thing that will probably never happen because everyone wants it to happen.

Eternity is a long time

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I wonder how souls have sex? Does ectoplasm get everywhere? do souls has babbies?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Coaaab posted:

We've already seen Chidi and Eleanor in bed together (albeit in a past iteration), so I wonder if this is gonna be a running gag with an unpredictable pair of characters sleeping together every few episodes or so.

Oh I didn't mean it like that. I kinda assume since they've been through 800 iterations that all kind of poo poo has gone down. It just didn't seem like the episode set it up well.

I love how a couple of episodes now have drawn on Jason's dance crew experience to resolve storylines.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

biracial bear for uncut posted:

There was a scene where they were introduced as each other's soul mates during one of the 800 iterations.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

swickles posted:

There was a scene where they were introduced as each other's soul mates during one of the 800 iterations.

It saddens me that the golden retriever was a demon.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

My golden retriever doesn't love me?

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.

Lycus posted:

I think it's hilarious that Tahani was fully aware it was a trap and walked into it anyway.

I wonder if that's ultimately going to happen to all four characters: even knowing the town is a setup, they still end up torturing each other and themselves because they're flawed and can't help it.

Maybe Michael's mistake was resetting when someone figured out the game. Maybe he should've let things play out regardless.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Better question is how have the characters not learned that they have access to a magical robot lady who can bring them unicorns on demand? Who throws a party with access to unicorns and does not include them, that's the real question.

Edit: Hell, for that matter Jason is the smartest of all of them, at least he realized he could get an xbox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Like, I knew Ted Danson was knocking it out of the park, but that episode just really cemented just how much he loving gets Michael and god he is amazing in this.

• Locked thread