Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

GutBomb posted:

depreciates like a motherfucker.
Really? This is news to me. The local used selection on AutoTrader is pretty slim and priced pretty high for a used subcompact.

Etrips posted:

Make sure to test drive one without a sunroof.
Yep. I've never really understood the appeal of a sunroof but I sure know how much headroom they eat up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
GTI production getting kicked out of Mexico before mk8 (2020)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
You guys and your sunroof shaming. Maybe try not being 7 feet tall.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Ya I use the hell out of a sunroof

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Being under 6 feet tall I have never had an issue with a sunroof.

Cellular Suicide
Dec 9, 2005

Classical 33's at 45RPM
6'1" here and if ambient temperature is above 50F and it's not raining, sunroof is open.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Being under 6 feet tall I have never had an issue with a sunroof.

Being under 6 feet but over 5'10", I haven't either. :smuggo:

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!
I can't tell you the FiST not as fun as everyone says, but it is really loving small. The back seats are useless except for children and people under 5 foot tall. Mine are down pretty much all the time and I'm thinking about just removing them and making it a coupe with a lot of hatch space and a little less weight. Do not buy if you need more than 2 seats. The people that have to sit back there will curse your name forever.

The front seats are just fine for me though and I'm 6'1". I also have the sunroof, which is rad.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
I'm short and I still hate the sunroof. It's the only option my car has I really didn't want

A reminder to FiST owners ( and probably any hot hatcher). Change your spark plugs! It's pretty cheap and easy to do, on the FiST anyway. The butt dyno feels like a small gain and average MPG shows a certain gain

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

angryrobots posted:

Being under 6 feet but over 5'10", I haven't either. :smuggo:

As a midget I must say that I fear the day phone books are no longer printed as I will no longer be able to see over the wheel.

Rape Stink posted:

I can't tell you the FiST not as fun as everyone says, but it is really loving small. The back seats are useless except for children and people under 5 foot tall. Mine are down pretty much all the time and I'm thinking about just removing them and making it a coupe with a lot of hatch space and a little less weight. Do not buy if you need more than 2 seats. The people that have to sit back there will curse your name forever.

The front seats are just fine for me though and I'm 6'1". I also have the sunroof, which is rad.

I've seen the rear seat removal quite a bit.

So I still can't find a blue one with a sunroof so it's looking like it will be a black '16 with Recaro's for me. Just gotta get this credit undinged and sell the MS6 or the Miata first.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

FBS posted:

Really? This is news to me. The local used selection on AutoTrader is pretty slim and priced pretty high for a used subcompact.

Within a year it plummeted to a 13000 trade in value. It lost 9k off msrp in a year.

I had it listed for 2 months on Craigslist, autotrader, and local classifieds and received 2 calls with interest in the car, 1 of which test drove it and I never heard from him again, the other one called the day after I sold it to carmax. I received a bunch of scanners selling "car marketing services" and a whole lot of nothing. It still looked brand new and had low mileage. Get it used and plan on keeping it for a while.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Oct 13, 2017

Cellular Suicide
Dec 9, 2005

Classical 33's at 45RPM

GutBomb posted:

Within a year it plummeted to a 13000 trade in value. It lost 9k off msrp in a year.

Trade in value is a fairly poor judge of actual resale value, especially if the trade in value was established while/after looking at a specific vehicle and giving an idea what you're looking or willing to pay. Dealers will use the trade-in value as a way to balance overall profit on the transaction, especially by "giving" you a slightly lower purchase price on the car you're trying to trade in for.

Moderate mileage 2014-2016 FiST's are selling for right around 15k-16k in my area right now, and that price seems fairly consistent where I can find national listings on Autotrader etc. The calculated depreciation for my FiST puts it at 15.3k at the end of the third year, which seems to be pretty close to what the market is right now.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Cellular Suicide posted:

Trade in value is a fairly poor judge of actual resale value, especially if the trade in value was established while/after looking at a specific vehicle and giving an idea what you're looking or willing to pay. Dealers will use the trade-in value as a way to balance overall profit on the transaction, especially by "giving" you a slightly lower purchase price on the car you're trying to trade in for.

Moderate mileage 2014-2016 FiST's are selling for right around 15k-16k in my area right now, and that price seems fairly consistent where I can find national listings on Autotrader etc. The calculated depreciation for my FiST puts it at 15.3k at the end of the third year, which seems to be pretty close to what the market is right now.

I edited my post to add more details. Sure private party is a higher value than trade in, but when no one out there wants to buy it private party value is irrelevant.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
$16K is a goddamned steal, especially with the Recaro's. I have a dozen cars for sale across the country bookmarked and the sweet spot is sub $16K, Recaro's, Sunroof and sub 25K miles. Not that hard to find a car that meets those requirements.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

FBS posted:

Speaking of the FiST... I've spent most of this week reading up on the Fiesta ST to replace my perfectly fine, comfortable '14 Mazda 3 2.5L auto. Somebody talk me out of it, tell me it's too small, tell me it's not as fun as everybody says.

What should I pay attention to when I go test drive one this weekend? Mostly I want to find out if I can live with it at 6'3" and coming from a nicer interior.

My wife drives a '16 Mazda3 2.0 auto and I have a FiST. I love the Fiesta but it definitely feels like a cheaper car than that Mazda (other than the Recaros.) Never seems too small to me and I get 4 people in pretty regularly, but I also don't give a poo poo if my rear passengers are comfortable and I'm generally not road tripping with more than 1 passenger.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I've had the MS6 for 6.5 years now and I'm at the point where it's too much car. I never have more than a single passenger so the rear seats won't be an issue.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Rape Stink posted:

What I really want is a Miata, but I simply do not fit. My back seats are occupied maybe five to eight times a year. Also my first car was a CRX which I found totally livable (in high school) so I'm willing to try a small car again.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Rape Stink posted:

The back seats are useless except for children and people under 5 foot tall.

I totally disagree. I'm 6'1" and can fit behind my own normal seating position just fine. My knees are about a half inch from the back of the front seat in that case.

I wouldn't subject someone older than a child to a trip of more than an hour or so back there, but it's not unusable.

That said I'm also considering a rear seat delete because I don't use them often and could definitely use the extra cargo space from time to time. Hell, if it was a three door I'd definitely have contemplated grabbing a sawzall and making a Fiesta Ute.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
I've just decided to drive mine until it dies. The milage is getting high and I think I would rather take my chances with it rather than purchase someone else's unknown problems and repairs since a new car isn't in my near future

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

FBS posted:

What I really want is a Miata, but I simply do not fit. My back seats are occupied maybe five to eight times a year. Also my first car was a CRX which I found totally livable (in high school) so I'm willing to try a small car again.

Maybe an S2000? I think they're bigger than a Miata on the inside. I'm only 5'7" so I've got tons of room in mine!

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
I'm little so cant talk about fist space much, but it is indeed still a blast, and shaved 1/3 off my commute time. The white one is also practically invisible to police for some reason at least before 7am. Or i could just be very lucky.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

sneakyfrog posted:

I'm little so cant talk about fist space much, but it is indeed still a blast, and shaved 1/3 off my commute time. The white one is also practically invisible to police for some reason at least before 7am. Or i could just be very lucky.

I drove the piss out of my orange one all the time and it seemed invisible to cops too. Then I do 50 in a 45 in my black GLI and get a ticket. I've only ever been pulled over in sedans, like the GLI, the passat, and a rental impala. Never once in the fiesta, rx8, frs, eclipse, rx7, or miata and I drove the poo poo out of all of them all the time.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I like the FiST but found the FoST to be a much better compromise from a daily driver standpoint. It's a bit bigger and the interior is somewhat higher quality (though not nearly as nice as a GTI).

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

fknlo posted:

Maybe an S2000? I think they're bigger than a Miata on the inside. I'm only 5'7" so I've got tons of room in mine!
I'm 6'3, can not fit in a Miata, can fit in an S2000. hth

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I can't fit in either :(

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

BraveUlysses posted:

I can't fit in either :(

cyber legs that shorten

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

Garage2Roadtrip posted:

Have stripper-package performance vehicles proved profitable for automakers in the past? I know FCA does it here and there with various configurations, and back in the day did it a lot with the Mopar muscle stuff...

No idea, ask Mitsubishi with the evo

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Christobevii3 posted:

No idea, ask Mitsubishi with the evo

Did they sell a stripper evo? Like with steel wheels and regular seats and poo poo like that? If so, I'm interested.

I understand that the interior of the evo is pretty much a lancer, but it's still a loaded top spec lancer, not poverty spec lancer interior.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016
Could you get evo's in the US with manual windows, locks, etc? From what (little) i remember about the Evo X it was full of electronics and gadgets.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Garage2Roadtrip posted:

Could you get evo's in the US with manual windows, locks, etc? From what (little) i remember about the Evo X it was full of electronics and gadgets.

Yes, the Evo 8/9 RS.

I've never been in an Evo X but the 8 and 9 are tin cans with a lovely interior, thin paint, sounds like an old tin roof when it rains, have no cruise control, etc. They are definitely the drivers car over the STi of the same years. The way you can get them to rotate is loving hilarious.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I like the FiST but found the FoST to be a much better compromise from a daily driver standpoint. It's a bit bigger and the interior is somewhat higher quality (though not nearly as nice as a GTI).

This was my assessment as well. The Fiesta was a peppy little drive, and I enjoyed the lighter weight. However, the Focus fits the needs of a small family perfectly. Went on a 1500 mile road trip to east TN and back with my wife and 2-year old. We were all comfortable for the trip, and the mountain roads were hilariously fun. It's worth the extra $2-3k over comparable Fiesta.

FBS posted:

Yep. I've never really understood the appeal of a sunroof but I sure know how much headroom they eat up.

I absolutely love sunroofs. The vista roof in our Edge is glorious. In small cars they're not worth the headroom sacrifice though. I had very little headroom in my old GTI with sunroof.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The Fiesta is just fine for no kids though. And even if, my fiance's Scion had great back seats.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Rhyno posted:

The Fiesta is just fine for no kids though. And even if, my fiance's Scion had great back seats.

Oh?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
you will not be making babies in the back of the fist unless you are both small, flexible and very understanding.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Oh shush.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

GutBomb posted:

Did they sell a stripper evo? Like with steel wheels and regular seats and poo poo like that? If so, I'm interested.

I understand that the interior of the evo is pretty much a lancer, but it's still a loaded top spec lancer, not poverty spec lancer interior.

The evo 7 came as GTA which was an evo with an automatic trans and no wing and lots of other poo poo missing designed as a "buy this, it'll drive onto a trailer or to your workshop where you fit a sequential/aero/suspension."

And the aforementioned RS versions which had no accessories and beefed up components too.

BlackMK4 posted:

Yes, the Evo 8/9 RS.

I've never been in an Evo X but the 8 and 9 are tin cans with a lovely interior, thin paint, sounds like an old tin roof when it rains, have no cruise control, etc. They are definitely the drivers car over the STi of the same years. The way you can get them to rotate is loving hilarious.

I have an X and it's reasonably comfortable to be in for a car with stiff suspension and Recaros. It's not as stiff as my Silvia's coil overs (6/4kg/mm f/r) that's for sure.

It has cruise control, Bluetooth hands free and voice controls, steering wheel buttons and traction control/7 airbags/ABS ("pointless safety" lol). So it is loaded with "heavy electrics" if you listen to internet fanboys. They seem to neglect that those "heavy electrics" are also in the diffs which is where it makes the biggest difference.

The 8/9 are very popular because of the potential but the 10 only weighs 80kg more than them and has better torque and power sooner. You can get 300hp at the wheels with just exhaust, intake and a retune.

The interior is pretty well sound deadened (though the rear doors could use some more).

Mine is still in stock trim minus the head unit and it's entirely liveable as a daily driver. I got the SST transmission so it stays is auto mode most of the time but the separate shift modes and manual shifting make it an entirely different animal.

I bought it because I wanted something less race car and more comfortable than my Silvia and I got that, in addition to it also being waaaaay more race car than the Silvia with the push of a button.

mattdev
Sep 30, 2004

Gentlemen of taste, refinement, luxury.

Women want us, men want to be us.
Look at this lil cutie trying to autocross.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

the color selection for MY17 FiSTs is absolutely atrocious. I want that blue

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

FBS posted:

the color selection for MY17 FiSTs is absolutely atrocious. I want that blue

same. :smithfrog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation