Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

TMMadman posted:

It actually counted in the game in question.

Hisssssssss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

TMMadman posted:

Also, is it cool if, as scum, you catch a person trying to make some kind of point by making a bunch of votes and they end up voting for a random word, say Bazinga, so you rush off to votefinder and then assign the that vote to the person thus causing them to hammer themself?

Yes, it's very very cool. If someone makes a funny weird joke vote that votefinder doesn't understand I always assign it to the person who made the vote, not who they intended to vote.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

To be fair, it was a Birdstrike Archer themed game and I was Mallory.

The thread at the particular vote in question: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3767839&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=17#post457549336

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Scum can be genuinely mad and frustrated too, you can still believe someone is scum even after they get all angry without having to actually invalidate their emotions.

Somberbrero posted:

don't get mad at mafia

anything said within the context of the game is gameplay and not real, shake hands and walk away afterwards

I like this idea and it's usually how I feel myself. (about holding my own grudges for past games I mean, I'm sure I get other people mad and don't want to tell them to not be mad) It's fun to get all worked up in the moment and fight fight fight to prove your innocence or whatever, but then once it's over it wasn't really about anything important. All the drama is fun but you don't get irl mad at whoever played the villain.

Unless it's Beet getting me D1 lunched in freaking Dangan Ronpa Mafia haha (I did eventually forgive him but that took waaaaay longer)

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

TMMadman posted:

To be fair, it was a Birdstrike Archer themed game and I was Mallory.

The thread at the particular vote in question: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3767839&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=17#post457549336

Lol I see, and it was capps so it is a ok

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

IMO if you make a vote to an unassigned alias and don’t go to votefinder and assign it to either ignore or a person that’s on you.

If a vote has been in place longer than 5 minutes and it is ambiguous, it is fair game to me. If it is clear who they are trying to vote you should assign it to the correct person though

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Aliases:

Gulag Dolls
Gulagdolls
gulgadolls
The Freakin' Gulagdoll
gulaggolls
Crow
butt
earthbound crow
GulagDolls.
GulagDollar
no-lynch
you stupid doll
ragamuffffffffinnnnnnn
MildManneredManikin
gulagdollas
gulagstupidpantsdolls
Treacherous
Gulag
gulagp
Gruntilda
Gulags

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Somberbrero posted:

If this is a party game it's a pretty loving bad party here.

lololol

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

I am a person who gets very emotional over mafia games and sometimes it's all in good fun because if I didn't want to get angry on the internet about a party game, I wouldn't be playing an internet party game where we get angry at each other.

But I think again the issue isn't so much "you are faking x you poop" but that we on the whole have gotten far too dismissive of people for a variety of reasons. As I said in a post before, I don't see anything wrong with "here's why I think you are lying based on the delineation of your posts" because that's easy for me to respond to and engage with. But far too often it's "I think you're lying and therefore you're a piece of crap who I will not listen to," and when you have a game that primarily hinges on your ability to communicate ideas convincingly whether they are true or not, it's EXTREMELY frustrating to be trying to engage with people and essentially just getting "lol shut up" back in your face.

I wasn't privy to what happened here, but what is the core issue? Are people upset that people are using emotion as a manipulation tactic, or are people looking at things and going "wow that person isn't have much fun and that sucks?" If it's the latter, why aren't they having fun? Personally I think you'll find that people are dismissing them.

We all care about this community and the people in it and we ARE all friends and while ribbing is fun and part of the game there's a difference between ribbing and being outright a dismissive dick to someone. Nobody signs up for a mafia game to have their voice ignored, I would say most of us love having a forum where we can wax our argumentative abilities and try our damndest to convince people and then be all smug when we're right. I mean, that's mafia. To try to play a mafia game and have people go "lol shut up" is...well, not mafia, and I think that's more against the spirit of the game than pretending to be mad?

If the issue in question is the former "manipulation with emotions is bad" it's gonna be hard because scum by default have to lie, and if you have to lie, you are going to do whatever you can to achieve your win condition through lying, and sometimes that means creating a story and transferring believable emotion to it. While I have never pretended to be mad but I've definitely pretended to be mad about something when in actuality I was mad about being caught. I don't know how you would ban that? It's kind of a part of the game, but I am open to hearing what exactly people are getting at in more detail here.

I still believe we have some systematic issue that's making a lot of people really not have fun with this game lately and I'm not sure we've figured out what it is yet. Maybe the general climate of the world being lovely right now is just not the right atmosphere for an angry arguing game, as Ecco floated in Discord a while ago.

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Diqnol posted:

I remember when there were many lumpenesques and all posts were a paragraph minimum and people would engage each other with questions, rebuttals, and (my favorite) subtle insults. Now it’s just lurking and calling each other poo poo smh

scum post

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy
People used to not listen to me at all and I got a little upset about it, but then I realized I'm just really bad at mafia and that's ok.

Town or scum it's best if you can separate yourself from the game emotionally. For an example, read FF6 Flying Leatherman who almost brought it home for no other reason than he stayed calm and reasonable the whole time.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

See and I have more of an issue with saying "you must always not be emotional because it's just mafia" or whatever here because some of us are more emotional players. It's ok to be emotional, it's also ok to be rational. Sometimes the former will help you be successful, sometimes the latter will. The minute we start saying "x is always y" we create more issues than we solve. Every game is it's own microcosm, maybe analyze people's content and see if they're lying, and do very little else?

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

People used to not listen to me at all and I got a little upset about it, but then I realized I'm just really bad at mafia and that's ok.

Town or scum it's best if you can separate yourself from the game emotionally. For an example, read FF6 Flying Leatherman who almost brought it home for no other reason than he stayed calm and reasonable the whole time.

Tobbs is actually great at mafia.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy
It's not that it's just mafia so you shouldn't feel anything about it.

What you feel, though, should be controlled as it comes out in posts. You have power over what happens before you hit the post button.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Max posted:

Tobbs is actually great at mafia.

If this were true I wouldn't lose almost every game lol

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

If this were true I wouldn't lose almost every game lol

I believe in you.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Max posted:

I believe in you.

Someone's already bought their ticket to disappointmentland I see

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

I'd been happy, and I was happy still. For all to be accomplished,
for me to feel less lonely,
all that remained to hope
was that on the day of my execution
there should be a huge crowd of spectators and that they should
greet me with howls of execration.
Plaster Town Cop
Emotional manipulation is a valid and useful Mafia tool. As Scum, getting someone fighting mad at you helps to keep you alive because their vote/case will be seen by others as petty and irrational, it can effectively neutralize a dengerous opponent if you can make them mad, and then you can additionally accuse them of feigning anger to justify a case on them which is a more effective form of OMGUS, and can have the effect of making them even ore angry. As a Scum being locked in a slap fight with a Townie when you are actually under their skin is a great position because you can make lots of haughty taunting posts to keep you post count up, and they get tunneled while also kept unpersuasive because their arguments look personal and biased and tunneled, and people will tend to get disgusted and tune out/ disregard an ugly slapfight.

On the other side, pretending to be greatly offended and angry as Scum is good camouflage because you can get away with "going off in a huff" to lurk, and you can spam all sorts of unhinged irrational cases that will be disregarded because you are feigning being incensed. It's great as Scum to be posting but have your opinions glossed over and your absences excused because you are seen as a basket case.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

Lumpen posted:

Emotional manipulation is a valid and useful Mafia tool. As Scum, getting someone fighting mad at you helps to keep you alive because their vote/case will be seen by others as petty and irrational, it can effectively neutralize a dengerous opponent if you can make them mad, and then you can additionally accuse them of feigning anger to justify a case on them which is a more effective form of OMGUS, and can have the effect of making them even ore angry. As a Scum being locked in a slap fight with a Townie when you are actually under their skin is a great position because you can make lots of haughty taunting posts to keep you post count up, and they get tunneled while also kept unpersuasive because their arguments look personal and biased and tunneled, and people will tend to get disgusted and tune out/ disregard an ugly slapfight.

On the other side, pretending to be greatly offended and angry as Scum is good camouflage because you can get away with "going off in a huff" to lurk, and you can spam all sorts of unhinged irrational cases that will be disregarded because you are feigning being incensed. It's great as Scum to be posting but have your opinions glossed over and your absences excused because you are seen as a basket case.

merk posted:

I think this might be over a line, if a line exists.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Quidthulhu posted:

I am a person who gets very emotional over mafia games and sometimes it's all in good fun because if I didn't want to get angry on the internet about a party game, I wouldn't be playing an internet party game where we get angry at each other.

But I think again the issue isn't so much "you are faking x you poop" but that we on the whole have gotten far too dismissive of people for a variety of reasons. As I said in a post before, I don't see anything wrong with "here's why I think you are lying based on the delineation of your posts" because that's easy for me to respond to and engage with. But far too often it's "I think you're lying and therefore you're a piece of crap who I will not listen to," and when you have a game that primarily hinges on your ability to communicate ideas convincingly whether they are true or not, it's EXTREMELY frustrating to be trying to engage with people and essentially just getting "lol shut up" back in your face.

I wasn't privy to what happened here, but what is the core issue? Are people upset that people are using emotion as a manipulation tactic, or are people looking at things and going "wow that person isn't have much fun and that sucks?" If it's the latter, why aren't they having fun? Personally I think you'll find that people are dismissing them.

We all care about this community and the people in it and we ARE all friends and while ribbing is fun and part of the game there's a difference between ribbing and being outright a dismissive dick to someone. Nobody signs up for a mafia game to have their voice ignored, I would say most of us love having a forum where we can wax our argumentative abilities and try our damndest to convince people and then be all smug when we're right. I mean, that's mafia. To try to play a mafia game and have people go "lol shut up" is...well, not mafia, and I think that's more against the spirit of the game than pretending to be mad?

If the issue in question is the former "manipulation with emotions is bad" it's gonna be hard because scum by default have to lie, and if you have to lie, you are going to do whatever you can to achieve your win condition through lying, and sometimes that means creating a story and transferring believable emotion to it. While I have never pretended to be mad but I've definitely pretended to be mad about something when in actuality I was mad about being caught. I don't know how you would ban that? It's kind of a part of the game, but I am open to hearing what exactly people are getting at in more detail here.

I still believe we have some systematic issue that's making a lot of people really not have fun with this game lately and I'm not sure we've figured out what it is yet. Maybe the general climate of the world being lovely right now is just not the right atmosphere for an angry arguing game, as Ecco floated in Discord a while ago.

I think this is pretty much the core of it. Like, I think we're arguing over if getting somebody mad (which I think is distinct from getting somebody offbalance) is alright and I think that's kind of a weird discussion to have because we shouldn't be getting people mad, and maybe if people are getting mad you're kind of being a poo poo? Like you can make a case and getting voted off is frustrating but you know what, sometimes a "I'm sorry buddy, this is the feel I'm getting." breaks the animosity?

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Keane I love that we are almost always on the same page. Mafia bros 4 lyfe~

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
so does anyone play mafia anymore or do we just all talk about it

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

derp posted:

It's 2017, Mafia has been outlawed for 10 years at this point.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

derp posted:

I'm not really in a position where I can play right now, much less run a game.

Things are getting better though. I turned my interim retail job into a management gig, so once the dust settles I'll get something going. I'm still a ways off from my big game, Moon Colony Bloodbath, but I have the setup and a large portion of the writing done for Cloaks II. I want to try and avoid starting it up in the middle of the holiday season though.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

mafia is good and games where players get worked up and emotional is sily. the something awful dot com forums are dying anyway so its not like we're going to see a swell of growth for our dumb game. learn that nothing actually matters, there is no win loss record (i have claimed to be undefeated for years and have not been challenged on this, it is inherently untrue) and if you lose it is okay. if you win, you accomplished nothing. just hang out and play mafia.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

in a completely unrelated post, i am also going to announce starting with the end result of the room we will now be tracking individual player performances at the end of games to find out who is good and who is not good at mafia. i top the list with 11 wins and 0 losses.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

gif Probst posted:

i top the list with 11 wins and 0 losses.

I challenge this

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

CapitalistPig posted:

I challenge this

welcome to the ignored zone, brought to u by undefeated and charismatic giff prost

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

I am confident I will have a winning record once I play my first game of mafia.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy

gif Probst posted:

the something awful dot com forums are dying

source: https://www.forbes.com/sites/priceonomics/2017/07/26/what-are-the-most-popular-websites-by-demographic/#240054ce56f8

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
It has been a minute but literally replacements are the worst thing you can allow as a mod because it makes people feel like it's okay to lurk-out or replace out and it's not. gently caress replacements.

also replacements cause a huge content problem and are stupidly gamebreaking even if not intended to be. They suck rear end and no one should accept replacements period.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Here is a post I just read from a mafia group I'm in "Also while I’m on this point - if you know that you cannot talk for even 10-15 minutes per day (with an occasional exception) - why sign up to play? We all have unexpected things that happen and if we let people know “hey today is gonna be crazy because (reason) - that’s different. But not contributing at all except a couple of words or a vote here and there ruins it for everyone else, especially if your role is vitally important to your team."

it's not just SA :sun:

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Kashuno posted:

It has been a minute but literally replacements are the worst thing you can allow as a mod because it makes people feel like it's okay to lurk-out or replace out and it's not. gently caress replacements.

also replacements cause a huge content problem and are stupidly gamebreaking even if not intended to be. They suck rear end and no one should accept replacements period.

I'm gonna replace you to hell

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
My hard line is that you get replaced D1/N1 but after that it's a modkill. That's usually enough time to see what a game is going to be and sometimes you're just not feeling it and whatever that's fine. Sometimes Kashuno is making GBS threads up a thread with 400 posts and you just...you just can't.

It's early enough in a game where people probably don't have super strong opinions that can't be altered by a new perspective, so yeah, let a new person replace in. You probably aren't going to be relying too much on those D1 reads by D3 or 4 anyway. Anything after that though, and yeah, just modkill. Replacements get a lot of leeway and that can sometimes decide a game if it happens later on.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Asiina posted:

My hard line is that you get replaced D1/N1 but after that it's a modkill. That's usually enough time to see what a game is going to be and sometimes you're just not feeling it and whatever that's fine. Sometimes Kashuno is making GBS threads up a thread with 400 posts and you just...you just can't.

It's early enough in a game where people probably don't have super strong opinions that can't be altered by a new perspective, so yeah, let a new person replace in. You probably aren't going to be relying too much on those D1 reads by D3 or 4 anyway. Anything after that though, and yeah, just modkill. Replacements get a lot of leeway and that can sometimes decide a game if it happens later on.

I agree with this wholeheartedly.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Somberbrero posted:

I'm not really in a position where I can play right now, much less run a game.

Things are getting better though. I turned my interim retail job into a management gig, so once the dust settles I'll get something going. I'm still a ways off from my big game, Moon Colony Bloodbath, but I have the setup and a large portion of the writing done for Cloaks II. I want to try and avoid starting it up in the middle of the holiday season though.

hmmm I hope your flavor doesn't conflict with my upcoming game Cloaks II: Moon Colony Bloodbath: Reckoning

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

BottleKnight posted:

hmmm I hope your flavor doesn't conflict with my upcoming game Cloaks II: Moon Colony Bloodbath: Reckoning

looking forward to the SLASHER HAWKE reskin of this game

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Podima posted:

looking forward to the SLASHER HAWKE reskin of this game

:same:

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

No child soldier in poverty by 1990

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU