Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Jade Mage posted:

Have you watched any of it?

I guess that must have been where the misunderstanding began? I thought my question asking about how other characters were responding to the main character made it pretty obvious that I hadn't seen it. Also, it bears repeating, I really was not trying to attack the show. The thread was chill, so I was kind of taken aback by the response, and just responded inkind.

E:

vvv I actually have seen one episode, but it was one in the middle of a season, so I didn't have a lot of background on the characters. And as far as "saying stupid things on the internet", chalk it up to an unfortunate misunderstanding about the question I was asking.

E2:

Azhais posted:

That's not how TVIV works, just look at the early parts of the Orville thread where it was just star trek people talking about how terrible it was without ever watching an episode or planning on ever watching an episode.

"Crime fighting devil you say? How do you guys like your serial killing rapist tv show, eh?"

Yeah, I missed out on that one.

Haha, well as I've explained that wasn't actually what I was trying to ask, but regardless the answer apparently is: "a lot."

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Oct 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

Just watch an episode and form a proper opinion before saying stupid things on the internet please.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Jade Mage posted:

Just watch an episode and form a proper opinion before saying stupid things on the internet please.

That's not how TVIV works, just look at the early parts of the Orville thread where it was just star trek people talking about how terrible it was without ever watching an episode or planning on ever watching an episode.

"Crime fighting devil you say? How do you guys like your serial killing rapist tv show, eh?"

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

Azhais posted:

That's not how TVIV works,

Ooooh really? Whoops! I don't spend a lot of time in TVIV, so I'm not well versed. Sorry bout that

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Jade Mage posted:

Ooooh really? Whoops! I don't spend a lot of time in TVIV, so I'm not well versed. Sorry bout that

It's probably how it should work, or at least going into the thread with an open mind, but this is the land of hate-watching. Orville thread was full of people trying to bitch out the show before it'd even aired, citing reviews that once the show started airing pretty much everyone agreed made no drat sense at all.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
He's more of a celestial ted bundy if anything

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Milo and POTUS posted:

He's more of a celestial ted bundy if anything

I'd say he's actually more like a celestial civil servant - given a job he absolutely hates and doesn't see the point of, is continually blamed by everyone for it as if it was his idea to begin with, and his superiors don't say 'yeah, this is my decision and he's just carrying out my orders' but make it out to be his problem, with a shrug and 'what can I do?' Then of corse he quits, thinking it's all bullshit, leaving everyone scrambling around to fix the massive hole in their system, and then another civil servant (Amanadiel) gets sent to sort it out, to his extreme annoyance.

We all thought this was about crime of the week - it's not, it's about gently caress ups in public policy.

Edit: so far, I'm not really getting into season 3 yet. After how brilliant 2 was, it feels like everyone's regressed a bit. I hope the main plot picks up soon so we can see more of their emotional depth.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Pesmerga posted:

I'd say he's actually more like a celestial civil servant - given a job he absolutely hates and doesn't see the point of

So more of a celestial Al Bundy

ubachung
Jul 30, 2006

Pesmerga posted:

it feels like everyone's regressed a bit

I just re-watched the whole show and binging it made this especially noticeable. It's frustrating to see the characters go through development only to backslide again.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Pesmerga posted:

I'd say he's actually more like a celestial civil servant - given a job he absolutely hates and doesn't see the point of, is continually blamed by everyone for it as if it was his idea to begin with, and his superiors don't say 'yeah, this is my decision and he's just carrying out my orders' but make it out to be his problem, with a shrug and 'what can I do?' Then of corse he quits, thinking it's all bullshit, leaving everyone scrambling around to fix the massive hole in their system, and then another civil servant (Amanadiel) gets sent to sort it out, to his extreme annoyance.

We all thought this was about crime of the week - it's not, it's about gently caress ups in public policy.

Edit: so far, I'm not really getting into season 3 yet. After how brilliant 2 was, it feels like everyone's regressed a bit. I hope the main plot picks up soon so we can see more of their emotional depth.

I was attempting to be a smartass, smartass.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Milo and POTUS posted:

I was attempting to be a smartass, smartass.

Me too. :(

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

This last episode (3.2) was one of my least favorite of the entire series. The music was really good, there were some solid lines, but overall it sucked. Making Smallville carry story weight when he can't act his way out of a cardboard box seems like a terrible idea. Can we get more Maize and/or Trixie instead, please?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

biracial bear for uncut posted:

The version of The Devil you are talking about here doesn't even exist in the scriptures used by rural American death cults.

In the bible, the Devil is basically The Biggest rear end in a top hat Prosecuting Attorney in Divine Court looking for reasons you should go to Hell. Lucifer is a separate entity altogether.

Also, Hell is just a desert with extreme heat and fire and undying maggots eating your flesh. No custom torments. That idea was Milton's.

You said the 3 magic words...

If i had a can of beans i'd throw it at you.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Can we get more Maize and/or Trixie instead, please?

One of the things I really like about this show is that they don't overdo the comedy-relief supporting cast. Any other show would be drowning us in Maize and Trixie scenes until we were completely sick of both of them.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I assume that we've been getting so much Ella because they've not been able to use Maize (Lesley-Ann Brandt's pregnancy) and Trixie (because the erratic production order would make it look like she was ageing weirdly, maybe?)

I'm surprised they've not had Tricia Helfer back, since she's still being credited as a regular.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

OMG One of the folders in the final scene was labled Gaudium :neckbeard: (Final scene spoiler!!!!)

Liked this episode a lot more than the previous :)

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Maze is awesome.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

my favorite part was the bear attack in pei

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
Maze/Trixie bounty hunting spinoff, please.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

This episode was way better.

Open Source Idiom posted:

I assume that we've been getting so much Ella because they've not been able to use Maize (Lesley-Ann Brandt's pregnancy) and Trixie (because the erratic production order would make it look like she was ageing weirdly, maybe?)

Ah well hopefully they add some other supporting cast members that wouldn't be out acted by a cardboard cutout of themselves, and they have Ella go through some proper character development and tone down a bit.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
So is the organized crime department lieutenant actually Latin Mark Ruffalo?

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

I think Trixie and Maze are my favorite characters on this show, seconding the spinoff.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Gonz posted:

So is the organized crime department lieutenant actually Latin Mark Ruffalo?

He looked so loving recognizable.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Rappaport posted:

OMG One of the folders in the final scene was labled Gaudium :neckbeard: (Final scene spoiler!!!!)

Liked this episode a lot more than the previous :)

I was wondering wtf that meant.

I know it's latin for Joy, but I'm guessing it's a comic reference (and I've never read much of the comic).

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

he's a chainsmoking, poo poo talking fallen cherub, if i recall correctly in the comics.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Darko posted:

he's a chainsmoking, poo poo talking fallen cherub, if i recall correctly in the comics.

Yes, and Lucifer basically gives him all of the shittiest possible jobs.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Dongattack posted:

Neat, i hope he appears on the show too.
The comic storylines are so different from this "barely supernatural" show they are hard to compare.

When God comes back from being "missing" its a cosmos-shifting turn in the story in the comic.

Rappaport posted:

Yeah but will they make another basic human or pull out some full-time CGI?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

FRINGE posted:

The comic storylines are so different from this "barely supernatural" show they are hard to compare.

When God comes back from being "missing" its a cosmos-shifting turn in the story in the comic.

Yeah, no way if they introduce the character he's not a short human with a foul mouth who may show his wings here and there. Hey, Curtis Armstrong could work, he has experience in the field!

Balthesar
Sep 4, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
So there's a 100% chance that Clark Kent is Sinnerman, right?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Balthesar posted:

So there's a 100% chance that Clark Kent is Sinnerman, right?

If you must know the truth nope, someone else was cast as him (dude from Leftovers)

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Not unless he's become a black guy. The actor they cast makes his 1st appearance in episode 6 I think.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

FRINGE posted:

Future character theorycrafting I'm sure it'll be a human (hopefully not in some awful latex mask), I'm just hoping they retain the basic gist of the character, he's adorable in the comics :D

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
Lucifer casually mentioning having a Grindr account to Amanadiel is great.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
Three quarters through the fourth episode and I’m tempted to call it quits. Does this have a new stable of writers or something? Show feels tired.

Edit: although the last two minutes pulled it back somewhat. That’s what I watch this show for.

Pesmerga fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Oct 24, 2017

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
In one scene Chloe's hair and makeup up was the same as Tricia Helfer's last season. Then coincidentally Tricia Helfer is in next week's episode.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Pesmerga posted:

Three quarters through the fourth episode and I’m tempted to call it quits. Does this have a new stable of writers or something? Show feels tired.

Edit: although the last two minutes pulled it back somewhat. That’s what I watch this show for.

Same. I am getting pretty tired of Lucifer following the same arc over and over again and the last couple of minutes was the show saying "wow, Lucifer sure is stuck doing the same thing over and over again because he is afraid of growth and change not because we are hack writers."
They aren't hack writers. The stuff with Dr. Linda and Amenadiel last week was inspired. It's like Lucifer is an agent of growth for everybody else while he throws tantrums and whines like a big stupid baby.
Edit: they pointed out that Lucifer has changed. He just won't admit it and accept it.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

:stare:

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
Waiting for the amazon upload, but is last nights episode any better than the rest of the series has been so far? The complete lack of discussion is kind of worrying me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
I think it might have, ahem, aired a day late or something? At least the um tv-station... where i watch it didn't air it yesterday, but err it was there this morning!

I liked the episode, it was pretty emotional, but i find myself wishing for more supernatural and more advancement to the "lucifer is the actual devil" plot and less drama/cop stuff.

• Locked thread