Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

magiccarpet posted:

new gary numan sounds like the last gary numan :/
Finally got a chance to listen to it properly. I mean, kind of? He's largely using the same synth patch sets or whatever as on Splinter because most of the 'sounds' are the same, but I think it's pretty similar to how Replicas and Telekon use pretty much the same sonic palette but are pretty distinct as albums. I think it's a pretty great album for a 59 year old who's been making music for 39 years! If you liked Splinter, it's pretty likely you'll like Savage too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I don't expect anything groundbreaking from Gary Numan. Which is fine.

He's a pop artist and my view on pop is that it's not really about innovation in songwriting. The innovative stuff is more in the technical fiddling, which I don't understand anyways, and the visuals i.e. fashion. So dress Gary up like a Fremen and send him out in the desert singing catchy atmospheric goth-pop tunes, and I dig it.

Listening now and I bet this stuff sounds wicked in a live setting.

Ghost Nation power chords :rock:

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

Monsters? They look like monsters to you?
Oh wow I just watched My Name is Ruin, very Dune-ish! That's his daughter singing. Chris Corner of IAMX directed this video, which is very much in his aesthetic and looks to be shot in the same location as his North Star video.

IAMX is more electronic/gothy than industrial but they've collaborated/remixed with industrial groups, and his purely electronic experimental album is out tomorrow which I'm interested to hear. I love Chris' voice but his lyrics can be very hit or miss. Puts on a hell of a live show though- I've seen them twice.

This demo of "Missing the Mainline" by PIG is beautiful- this was on the VIP disk from 2016. He's got so many incredible songs and filthy vocals/snarls but this is much gentler and almost vulnerable-I love this more than even the album version.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSY0CVvVMjg

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Youth Code are supporting Carpenter Brut on their European tour next year :getin:

I've not managed to see Youth Code before, and Carpenter Brut have been absolutely incredible live both the times I've seen them previously so this is REALLY EXCITING :frogsiren:

Youth Code was awesome live when they opened for Skinny Puppy.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I'm about to see IIOIOIOII open for Front 242 and I'm psyched.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
It was really good!

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Coil's Time Machines is on iTunes now. That makes like 5-6 albums now. I don't know who's getting paid for any of it, but it's good their music is going to be widely available in some form.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

TOOT BOOT posted:

Coil's Time Machines is on iTunes now. That makes like 5-6 albums now. I don't know who's getting paid for any of it, but it's good their music is going to be widely available in some form.
I'm guessing Danny Hyde is behind them.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Neat! It showed up on Microsoft Groove as well. I can't stream it, but I can definitely purchase it.

Time Machines was the super droney ambient thing right?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

hatelull posted:

Neat! It showed up on Microsoft Groove as well. I can't stream it, but I can definitely purchase it.

Time Machines was the super droney ambient thing right?

They had several super droney ambient things but yes, it's probably the most well-known of them.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Time Machines might be one of the best drone albums anyone has ever recorded

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqnMkUcTmys

spider_ross.avi
Jan 15, 2008

nnGUH

A human heart posted:

Time Machines might be one of the best drone albums anyone has ever recorded

Yes. A friend of mine lent me a cd of Time Machines just last week. I guess dais records reissued it recently with a handful of cool stickers. Really great a lot of Coil material is being made more readily accessible on Spotify and iTunes and such.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

It's weird though, it's almost all stuff from the very beginning of their career and the very end. You'd think people would be hopping to re-release stuff like Musick To Play In The Dark or Black Antlers.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

TOOT BOOT posted:

It's weird though, it's almost all stuff from the very beginning of their career and the very end. You'd think people would be hopping to re-release stuff like Musick To Play In The Dark or Black Antlers.
Black Antlers is available on Threshold House along with a few others. There's probably nobody invested in making this stuff available to as many people as possible.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Wulfband has a new single available on Spotify, "Full Frontal Sabotage." They've also got a picture on their Facebook that says 2017-11, so new Wulfband album coming, probably, or maybe a tour? Whatever, I'm in.

Speaking of spotify, Daniel Graves has a pretty good public playlist on there called "industrial pop" https://open.spotify.com/user/1120018927/playlist/30BUPgw52SWNm2ZWZZc86A Check it out, whatever, I know some people aren't big on his industrial pop schtick, but if it ain't your thing then post the best Spotify playlist u got

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

The new Diary of Dreams album hell in Eden is really, really, really good. Probably one of the best (if not THE best) of the band's considerable discography.

It's definitely a Diary of Dreams album in that if you don't like the band, this album won't do much for you, but there's some surprising symphonic elements to it so that it doesn't sound exactly like every other DoD LP. It could probably do with 2-3 fewer songs because it is a bit too long, but otherwise the material is outstanding - Made in Shame, Epicon, Listen and Scream, Traces of Light, Mercy Me and Nevermore in particular are all-time great DoD songs in my opinion.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Oct 12, 2017

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

extradite THIS! posted:

The new Diary of Dreams album hell in Eden is really, really, really good. Probably one of the best (if not THE best) of the band's considerable discography.

It's definitely a Diary of Dreams album in that if you don't like the band, this album won't do much for you, but there's some surprising symphonic elements to it so that it doesn't sound exactly like every other DoD LP. It could probably do with 2-3 fewer songs because it is a bit too long, but otherwise the material is outstanding - Made in Shame, Epicon, Listen and Scream, Traces of Light, Mercy Me and Nevermore in particular are all-time great DoD songs in my opinion.
Oh drat I'm going to listen to this.

Edit: Hahaha awesome opening. MADE. IN. SHAME. FOR. YOU!

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
And new MIAB and Encephalon are almost out :woop:

New Xenturion Prime too. Here's a teaser: https://soundcloud.com/progressproductions/xenturion-prime-propulsion-taken-from-humanity-plus

A Swedish group that used to be called Code 64. It's like synthy dance pop combined with Bon Jovi and with songs about spaceships.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Oct 12, 2017

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

And new MIAB and Encephalon are almost out :woop:

New Xenturion Prime too. Here's a teaser: https://soundcloud.com/progressproductions/xenturion-prime-propulsion-taken-from-humanity-plus

A Swedish group that used to be called Code 64. It's like synthy dance pop combined with Bon Jovi and with songs about spaceships.

Xenturion Prime are amazing. They essentially do what all the futurepop acts were trying to do in the early to mid 00s but they do it better. Great fun live too.

On a more noisy note - are any goons likely to be at the Hands label night in Berlin on January 6th? Thinking of going but will likely be solo.

Danger - Octopus! fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Oct 12, 2017

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

New Cyanotic album "Tech Noir" :woop: More synth-heavy than normal, maybe? But it sounds very stripped-down and mechanical as a result. Also, it's only 36 minutes long with 8 songs, which I can appreciate. Gets in, stabs you in the kidneys, and gets out.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Ahhhh and MIAB and Encephalon are out. And there's Diary of Dreams. And Cyanotic! :derp:

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Encephalon is grabbing me way more than MIAB.

MIAB's "Broken Legacies" is lush and beautiful with top-notch production but fewer hooks this time, maybe.

I have a gut feeling he has become a bit too trapped in his concept albums. That's my first impression and it might have to grow on me like "Memories" did. Standout tracks include Overwrite, Icebox and Attack and World of Promises.

Encephalon's "We Only Love You When You're Dead" is full of earworms and makes me want to shoot heroin into my loving eyeballs. The album is like if a high-end shopping mall got installed with an A.I. computer brain that went insane, locked the doors and started conducting terrible experiments on the shoppers. I love this band. Standout tracks include the title track (which is weirdly Downward Spiral-ish), Lunacy, In Plague and What Part of Me Dies.

Edit: More accurate:

quote:

A sociopathic, narcissistic, cyborg celebrity demagogue is trapped in a cycle of death and resurrection, peppered with bursts of violence levied against the shadowy media empire who are directing this bizarre operation.

http://www.idieyoudie.com/2017/10/encephalon-we-only-love-you-when-youre-dead/

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Oct 13, 2017

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
What the heck, why isn't the new Volt 9000 on Spotify?

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Kaddish posted:

Neither is the previous one.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:

Kaddish posted:

extradite THIS! posted:

Neither is the previous one.

Maybe Volt 9000 hates you

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

The Cleaner posted:

Maybe Volt 9000 hates you

Booooooooo

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Has it really been five years since Santa Hates You put out anything? Seems a shame.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

Kaddish posted:

Booooooooo

Tasty tasty beautiful boos

Seriously though, Artoffact Records and Electric Bat Records do not keep me in the loop in regards to *where* things are released. I really have no idea I can only hope it's out on as many hip and cool music services as possible. All I've ever used was Bandcamp and iTunes (and released with CDbaby before them) so I'm totally out of the loop in multiple ways. I wish I could hire someone to just make sure it all gets 'out there' as best as possible. One would think a record label would be sufficient.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Pope Guilty posted:

Has it really been five years since Santa Hates You put out anything? Seems a shame.

I believe there was somewhat of a falling out between Spilles and Jinxy. There was always rumors that they were romantically involved with each other but they always denied it, but then Spilles got into a new relationship around five or four years ago and ever since there's been no new SHY material. So to me it sounds like those rumors were true.

The Cleaner posted:

Tasty tasty beautiful boos

Seriously though, Artoffact Records and Electric Bat Records do not keep me in the loop in regards to *where* things are released. I really have no idea I can only hope it's out on as many hip and cool music services as possible. All I've ever used was Bandcamp and iTunes (and released with CDbaby before them) so I'm totally out of the loop in multiple ways. I wish I could hire someone to just make sure it all gets 'out there' as best as possible. One would think a record label would be sufficient.

Yeah, that's what I figured. Maybe you can ask them about it if you want that stuff on Spotify? I don't think they'd be too happy if you just went and did it yourself.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Spotify's relationship with industrial labels is kind of weird. Faderhead's FH3 album just showed up on Spotify a few days ago, but the rest of his discography is still missing. :iiam:

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Ashbury Heights was weird in that until the last album came out, all Spotify had was ... the bonus disc to Take Cair Paramour. I asked the band about it and they were surprised. They later said everything should be on there when the third album came out and that is what happened.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Spotify doesn't even deal with smaller labels directly, only distributors. So a non-Merlin indie label would need to bother signing up with CDBaby, TuneCore or Distrokid.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

Artoffact Records is the "in-house" label of 'Storming The Base' distribution company. So technically they are a distributor first, with the in-house part as a way they can release smaller bands on their own for profit. Super friendly dudes working there, a plethora of industrial/experimental music knowledge, with tons of genuine industry experience.

Not gonna lie and say they don't gently caress up tho. They've pulled some boners that still have me scratching my head - like signing an exclusive contract with iTunes (WHY?) and then accidentally releasing our album a whole month early by punching in the wrong release date on the iTunes upload page. Not like anyone gives a poo poo about us, but had they done that with 3Teeth's debut album...

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
So that explains why you're not on Spotify I guess.

I basically go to Spotify like 95% of the time, lately bandcamp a little more for smaller stuff. I'm not buying/subscribing to anything else. I listened to the new album on bandcamp, which is fine, but I like to create playlists and poo poo. Music is in such a weird spot right now. There needs to be a way for popular but still niche artists to make a living outside of touring constantly.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Kaddish posted:

So that explains why you're not on Spotify I guess.

I basically go to Spotify like 95% of the time, lately bandcamp a little more for smaller stuff. I'm not buying/subscribing to anything else. I listened to the new album on bandcamp, which is fine, but I like to create playlists and poo poo. Music is in such a weird spot right now. There needs to be a way for popular but still niche artists to make a living outside of touring constantly.

I buy most things on bandcamp and then create spotify playlists with a mix of local files of stuff I've bought from bandcamp and stuff that's on spotify and can't easily be bought digitally.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I just remembered the Multiple Man album (yay Aussie industrial) came out this year and I hadn't listened to it yet.

It's good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDapig9JGHc

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Oct 17, 2017

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

New LEGEND is out. Sounds like old LEGEND. It's been long enough that this is a good thing :)

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

Encephalon is grabbing me way more than MIAB.
I'm loving them both on first pass, but I'd also say they're quite different things and not comparable. I do appreciate that the m.i.a.b. again sounds significantly different from the last one. I didn't even recognise it as m.i.a.b. from the intro vocals, though some familiar synths came in eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

teethgrinder posted:

I'm loving them both on first pass, but I'd also say they're quite different things and not comparable. I do appreciate that the m.i.a.b. again sounds significantly different from the last one. I didn't even recognise it as m.i.a.b. from the intro vocals, though some familiar synths came in eventually.
Broken Legacies is starting to sink in now. The ID:YD review is totally right.

I've just had it on while working and not actively listening and it just. sinks. in. Also, Attack is the bounciest song the album and has more in common with the previous ones, but the refrain on it is huge. It sounds enormous while also not trying to be. And World of Promises is magical.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOwsN4YAzPM

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Oct 19, 2017