Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

ah what a great time to pour some covfefe in my "#1 chapo ally respecter" mug and check a friendly greywolf forum

Breadallelogram posted:

I don't get how that photo is more offensive than all the Fogle, Epstein, pizzagate jokes they make on the show
pizzagate is not real, fogle is way too absurd/pathetic and did not manage to gently caress any kids, epstein jokes are mostly very hard winking;
not to mention that verbal jokes are different from baked alaska level cringe stunts

"lol rape" is more of a cum town brand than chapo imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
i agree, place will and matt in twitter jail.

maybe even IRL jail

PayingForTheView
Feb 20, 2011
hell is other chapo fans

Stickfigure
Sep 4, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Boywhiz88 posted:

Bodega Boys gave me $100 during Bodega Bucks. They are for the proletariat.

Nationalize Desus' sneaker collection ! Bang Bang commie gang!

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
lol if you have time to get offended about stuff on twitter/reddit. I'm too busy respecting women irl to do that sort of thing.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Pedro De Heredia posted:

Read the reddit threads .

I thinks I found the problem.

I dunno the initial response on Twitter seemed like it was mostly leftist women being like "guys this is hosed up" which doesn't seem all that out of line. :shrug:

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Or folk who were with the dry bots for far longer and closer than a good part of the people trying to overly defend a joke nearly all pariticipants agreed was messed up.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Seen the tweet. Who the gently caress dresses like Hunter S Thompson? Why would you do that.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

J_RBG posted:

Seen the tweet. Who the gently caress dresses like Hunter S Thompson? Why would you do that.

I would if I could pull it off.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

prefect posted:

Please no

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Hell, I'd dress like HST just to have an excuse to chew on one of those cool cigarette holders.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

People who like HST are insufferable as kind of a rule of thumb

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
from reading this read it seems like everything is insufferable. is there anything thats not insufferable

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟

Felix go on Murder the Internet

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

prefect posted:

Please don't cargo cult your idols.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers
The weird cult around HST put me off reading him for a long while, which is a shame because Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail '72 is a really good book

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Bryter posted:

The weird cult around HST put me off reading him for a long while, which is a shame because Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail '72 is a really good book

This is so

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Bryter posted:

If you haven't read "The Boys On The Bus", you should check it out. It's another guy from Rolling Stone covering the press on the campaign trail in 1972, including HST. Very good stuff.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Law Cheetah posted:

from reading this read it seems like everything is insufferable. is there anything thats not insufferable

It's really rather depressing, but unfortunately everything sucks.

I'm kinda wrestling with this a bit because literally everything I like has been called unmitigated poo poo by people I respect. My solution is to just reflect on whether it does suck, then move on.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Chakan posted:

It's really rather depressing, but unfortunately everything sucks.

I'm kinda wrestling with this a bit because literally everything I like has been called unmitigated poo poo by people I respect. My solution is to just reflect on whether it does suck, then move on.

There was a blog or something that had an article titled "Admit it; your fave is problematic". Not only is it okay to like things that aren't perfect, it's almost impossible not to. Not everybody you like is going to like the same things as you, and that's okay. :sympathy:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Bryter posted:

HST imitators are annoying morons because they take the mad exasperation Thompson had for Nixon, and aim it at trivial poo poo like video game reviews.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Bryter posted:

It's a ritual of mine to read it every election year.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

padijun posted:

next episode will be a struggle session where NYC media girls with pixie cuts berate matt and will and beat them with closet dowels for an hour and 15 minutes

I'm having some problematic feelings

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

padijun posted:

next episode will be a struggle session where NYC media girls with pixie cuts berate matt and will and beat them with closet dowels for an hour and 15 minutes

Is there a place I can sign up for this?

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
God forbid people think a joke is in poor taste.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Only god forgives

Grammar-Bolshevik
Oct 12, 2017

Pedro De Heredia posted:

Read the reddit threads linked here if you think the backlash is disproportionate. In it, people accuse them of bad opinions because "the episodes have edits, which means they must have said really offensive things". Someone calls elevator jokes an 'ableist dogwhistle'. Someone complains about them fat-shaming Steven Seagal.

The reason some of the criticism they got from the left wasn't so bad is because the people criticizing them are their friends or acquaintances, real-life or online. That's not great. It means people are only willing to give you the benefit of the doubt about something minor because they know you, and less likely to do so otherwise.

There is such a thing as 'being too sensitive' in the context of a group. Especially in the context we're discussing this, which is "way after it happened, after the post had been taken down and people had apologized".

I mean, look at your own post. "Hopefully people will forgive them for something lovely but minor". Why didn't you write "people should forgive them for something lovely but minor"? Why can you judge the severity of the injury (it's minor) but not judge what the appropriate reaction should be? It should be obvious that no group or community could ever function properly if letting go of minor things wasn't an imperative.

Here is the thing, the hug box is real and commenting to the hug box is pointless, they are going to live lovely lives where innocuous things bother them. Just concentrate on loving too much an relegating the subhumans to their subcultures.

An ironic thumbs up at hollywood's cosby plate causes them to get upset; these are crazy people.

Technology lets us hear their madness but they are amusing and rare, pretending this was a politik misstep is mistaken.

Referencially directing someone's attention to this event will cause any normal person to be like 'huh, okay'.

We have people so dedicated to hedonism (wanting group to person communication to always yield neutral to pleasure) that this consumes their voice, just bask in what much of America's center-left/woke-signalers has become an chive on.

Grammar-Bolshevik fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Oct 13, 2017

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

Real leftism uih

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

So much for the progressive left!

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

prefect posted:

If you haven't read "The Boys On The Bus", you should check it out. It's another guy from Rolling Stone covering the press on the campaign trail in 1972, including HST. Very good stuff.

there's also "Up Simba" by David Foster Wallace, more good campaign trail writing by a guy with bad fans. It's about the 2000 John McCain campaign.

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

Grammar-Bolshevik posted:

Here is the thing, the hug box is real and commenting to the hug box is pointless, they are going to live lovely lives where innocuous things bother them. Just concentrate on loving too much an relegating the subhumans to their subcultures.

An ironic thumbs up at hollywood's cosby plate causes them to get upset; these are crazy people.

Technology lets us hear their madness but they are amusing and rare, pretending this was a politik misstep is mistaken.

Referencially directing someone's attention to this event will cause any normal person to be like 'huh, okay'.

We have people so dedicated to hedonism (wanting group to person communication to always yield neutral to pleasure) that this consumes their voice, just bask in what much of America's center-left/woke-signalers has become an chive on.

You realize you're saying that hedonists are bad and that we should engage in hedonism in response, right?

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with you, your ideological framing is just blatantly self-contradictory.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
having my faith in reddit restored by the sub for peter daou's podcast (no episodes actually out yet, lol)

https://reddit.com/r/TheDaouofPolitics/

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

little munchkin posted:

there's also "Up Simba" by David Foster Wallace, more good campaign trail writing by a guy with bad fans. It's about the 2000 John McCain campaign.

Wallace ruined a generation of writers who now think 5 expository footnotes for a 700 word piece is normal

Grammar-Bolshevik
Oct 12, 2017

sleeptalker posted:

You realize you're saying that hedonists are bad and that we should engage in hedonism in response, right?

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with you, your ideological framing is just blatantly self-contradictory.

lol who cares what you think tho

also chive on is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stoicism git good

Grammar-Bolshevik fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Oct 13, 2017

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/Newsweek/status/918589649672601601

Ratio of the Year contender

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

Grammar-Bolshevik posted:

lol who cares what you think tho

lurk more bitch

Zohn
Jul 21, 2006

Trust me, pinko, you ain't half he-man enough for Mickey Spillane's Rye Whisky.

Grimey Drawer
Hey, whoever recommended the Bodega Boys podcast, thanks. Went in blind and listened to the latest episode; loving hilarious.

Any eps in the archive that are must listen? I don't get Vice, is their show worth tracking down?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I think their Vice show is on YouTube the next day

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
Tweet of the decade

https://twitter.com/davallone/status/918626024539197441

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Zohn posted:

Hey, whoever recommended the Bodega Boys podcast, thanks. Went in blind and listened to the latest episode; loving hilarious.

Any eps in the archive that are must listen? I don't get Vice, is their show worth tracking down?

Id start w their post election episode and go forward til you’re caught up and then start from 1 and go til you’re caught up to the election. They’re all funny and it’s really funny to listen to the AKAs grow as time goes on.

Edit: I’d love if the Weinstein thing blew up so that we could finally get across that millionaires and billionaires aren’t your friend, and that we should distrust anyone with that kind of capital and power.

Boywhiz88 fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Oct 13, 2017