Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
The answer is yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
more like dick csuk

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
day crew wants their own st8 now?!

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

yeah ok?

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
done

You're welcome

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
It should be a wasteland really.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
it should secede and join the united mexican states, op

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
build a wall around it and don’t let any of them escape

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
do puerto rico and guam next.

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
No. Much like Puerto Rico it should be given independence and cut loose

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
it's pretty hosed up that we would subject american citizens to living within the same 10 square miles as TRUMP

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

It should absorb some of its rich suburbs first op

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
D.C. DEEZ NUTZ

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
President Bernie Sanders is going to annex Puerto Rico, D.C., Guam, and all other unincorporated US territories bringing the total number of states to 69. :bernin:

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
would never read that LAN thread

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
i say just make the land around the major federal buildings (the mall, white house, supreme court etc) "DC" and hang the rest of it back to Maryland or Virginia.

That way repubs aren't worried about MOAR DEMOCRAT VOTES and the residents actually get representation.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Taintrunner posted:

build a wall around it and don’t let any of them escape

lanyards don't actually live in D.C.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
admit it as a state but only if they change the proposed name of the state. The State of Washington, D.C. is kinda bad imo

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

maskenfreiheit posted:

i say just make the land around the major federal buildings (the mall, white house, supreme court etc) "DC" and hang the rest of it back to Maryland or Virginia.

That way repubs aren't worried about MOAR DEMOCRAT VOTES and the residents actually get representation.

my only concern with this is that I think d.c. law is a lot more liberal in some areas (like employment discrimination) than MD or VA. But then again maybe the influx of d.c. voters would pull those states to the left :shrug:

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

you cannot make a democrat state without two new republican states

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

It should be a wasteland really.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

DC is a state of mind

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound
yes

PR/VI should also be a state

also guam and our other far pacific holdings should be one

the dakotas should be merged into one

52 states up in this bitch

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

my only concern with this is that I think d.c. law is a lot more liberal in some areas (like employment discrimination) than MD or VA. But then again maybe the influx of d.c. voters would pull those states to the left :shrug:

is it?

I know it's probably more liberal than VA, but not sure it is more so than MD.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

safely sodomized posted:

DC is a state of mind

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

if puerto rico can have their own olympic team why not dc

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

Gringostar posted:

yes

PR/VI should also be a state

also guam and our other far pacific holdings should be one

the dakotas should be merged into one

52 states up in this bitch

I'd actually be cool with conglomerating the states into like 10 or 12 big states with roughly equal populations.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

admit it as a state but only if they change the proposed name of the state. The State of Washington, D.C. is kinda bad imo

just call it columbia, georgia's been the only state getting confused with a country for too long.

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
YOU CAN SEE ME, CAN'T YOU? THEN WHY ARE YOU IGNORING ME!?

maskenfreiheit posted:

Virginia already took their part back

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Dreddout posted:

I'd actually be cool with conglomerating the states into like 10 or 12 big states with roughly equal populations.

I doubt other people would be though, since conglomeration means giving up substantial local control, which is a big issue even if the states are highly culturally similar. As just one quick example, Oregon and Washington have extremely different tax structures and rationalizing them would be a major sticking point, because you've got a powerful constituency for retaining one of the most regressively FYGM tax-structures in the nation vs. people who are used to not paying any sales tax whatsoever and vote it down every time it's proposed - and that's to say nothing of what the people in northern CA or Idaho/Montana would think of having policies set by populations living in Portland and Seattle.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

everyone in DC wears athleisure at all times, and they're all insane douchebags

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Karl Barks posted:

everyone in DC wears athleisure at all times, and they're all insane douchebags

fit 4 politics

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

maskenfreiheit posted:

is it?

I know it's probably more liberal than VA, but not sure it is more so than MD.

in employment discrimination stuff it is by idk about other areas

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

in employment discrimination stuff it is by idk about other areas

really? I know political party is protected in DC which surprisingly is not in many states.

Is there anything else I'm missing?

PS: Fun fact: "Alt-right" is not a political party, so that is *not* protected.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Make DC a state, but have their state bird be something goofy like a plover. They'll never have any respect lol

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

maskenfreiheit posted:

really? I know political party is protected in DC which surprisingly is not in many states.

Is there anything else I'm missing?

PS: Fun fact: "Alt-right" is not a political party, so that is *not* protected.

looks like personal appearance, family responsibility, and matriculation as well

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Know who else supports D.C. Statehood ?

That's right.

Hillary.

Rodman.

Clinton.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Frijolero posted:

Make DC a state, but have their state bird be something goofy like a plover. They'll never have any respect lol

**district of columbia vanishes**

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

LGD posted:

I doubt other people would be though, since conglomeration means giving up substantial local control, which is a big issue even if the states are highly culturally similar. As just one quick example, Oregon and Washington have extremely different tax structures and rationalizing them would be a major sticking point, because you've got a powerful constituency for retaining one of the most regressively FYGM tax-structures in the nation vs. people who are used to not paying any sales tax whatsoever and vote it down every time it's proposed - and that's to say nothing of what the people in northern CA or Idaho/Montana would think of having policies set by populations living in Portland and Seattle.

Well yeah, I know it's not gonna happen, but it'd be nice if it did

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
DC should become an autonomous but privileged city-state trader republic like in CK2

• Locked thread