Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

Paul MaudDib posted:

In that kind of a price range, go for a refurb 24" 144 Hz 1080p for around $150. You can also go 27" 1080p IPS for the same-ish price, which may have better color, although it'll be a little chunky for productivity and is only 60 Hz. You may be able to drive some e-sports titles at 144 Hz with a low setting, and it'll help smoothness even if you're only rendering much lower framerates.

Consider getting something with FreeSync, it won't work with your GPU but it doesn't cost you anything either. The NVIDIA equivalent, GSync, doesn't have a good low-end, but you can get the same monitor for ~$300 with GSync and that'll work with your monitor. If you want to go that route it's better to aim for a $400-ish monitor where you're getting a nicer panel + more screen real estate (for roughly the same price with either FreeSync or GSync) but that's a lot more than the $150-ish entry-level monitors.

Thanks. Any brands or models to look at? And I clarified in the post that the PC price doesn't include the monitor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

KingKapalone posted:

Thanks. Any brands or models to look at? And I clarified in the post that the PC price doesn't include the monitor.

GN246HL and VG248QE are the baseline models here, and most likely to be cheap/refurb. You can usually score a refurb for around $150 with some hunting.

For your free Freesync addon (that again, won't do anything without an AMD GPU for now) here's your best options, guessing based on brands I'd say the best option is probably the AOC there for an extra $70, or the Nixeus Vue for a bit better one .

For GSync you can usually find a Dell S2716DG or S2417DG for $400-ish, which are TN but very nice ones. There is also the XB271HU IPS for around $550 (be careful there is also a XB271HU TN), or there is a FreeSync XF270HU for around $400 if you have a Microcenter nearby.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

KingKapalone posted:

If you want an 24" 1080 IPS with no bells and whistles then this isnt too bad and its actually a nice non gamer lovely display.
https://m.newegg.com/products/N82E1...ables-_-na-_-na

If you want a Dell 27" 75hz ips with freesync
https://www.amazon.com/Dell-SE2717HX-RVJXC-Full-Monitor/dp/B01LXTK4T6/ref=dp_ob_title_ce?dpID=413fqKAnaOL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=detail

The other suggestions are pretty good but then your friend might prefer having IPS over a high refresh.

Also a 1050ti is going to push over 60 very often anyway so might as well go with IPS.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

What would be a good way to have bias lighting only be on when the display is out of sleep? A USB port maybe?

(And why don’t any high-end displays have integrated bias lighting? Seems like a cheap differentiating feature, plus better apparent image quality.)

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Should I not bother looking for IPS monitors assuming he needs to keep price low?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Derakarsis posted:

For years I've happily used a single Dell 3007WFPHC as my primary display for my gaming machine. This monitor has gorgeous color, and I refuse to ever leave IPS displays. Recently I've decided that I really like the look of the Ultrawides, and have been considering moving to an ASUS ROG Swift PG348Q. I have several questions:

2. I have my 3007WFPHC mounted on an Obutto Revolution, and while anything on the market is going to be lighter, the back plate of the Asus looks recessed, don't know if I'll need to buy another vesa mount for the swing arm?

I would like to see pics of your setup with that Obutto.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

KingKapalone posted:

Friend is going to build a ~$550 gaming PC with a GTX 1050TI. He was going to borrow a crap monitor from a friend, but is interested to hear about monitors. This $550 is excluding the monitor.

What's the best bang for the buck? 1080p because of the GPU, maybe IPS, I assume not a crazy refresh rate, won't ever be having the bleeding edge GPU.

IPS vs Fast TN (TN's are generally far better than they used to be) is a tough decision (I'm stuck with 60hz atm but after using 100hz+ panels just in-store dragging windows around it's now an absolute requirement for me for any new display purchase), but just FYI - make sure your friend gets the 4gb version of the 1050ti if you don't know already. Even with lower-end cards 2GB is a big bottleneck in newer titles.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

KingKapalone posted:

Should I not bother looking for IPS monitors assuming he needs to keep price low?

IPS is almost no price premium on 1080p monitors. It's just a question if he wants 60hz IPS vs. 100+HZ TN panels.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

IPS is almost no price premium on 1080p monitors. It's just a question if he wants 60hz IPS vs. 100+HZ TN panels.

Oh so the IPS 144hz are only going to be found at the high end? I have a Predator, so I figured as much about the low end.

I always thought IPS was considered more important than high refresh, but maybe not anymore?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

KingKapalone posted:

Oh so the IPS 144hz are only going to be found at the high end? I have a Predator, so I figured as much about the low end.

Correct. There is only one type of IPS 144 Hz panel and that's 27" 1440p. If you want a "nice" monitor that's where the best value is, but it's a $400-500 monitor which probably is beyond his budget if the rest of the PC is $550.

KingKapalone posted:

I always thought IPS was considered more important than high refresh, but maybe not anymore?

It depends on what you're doing. IPS has a better color gamut (especially vs the first-gen TN panels that are common in cheaper monitors). But high-refresh is really really nice for gaming.

Again, high-refresh IPS are available, so you can have the best of both worlds, but it's a $400-500 product and I'm guessing he's more thinking about the <$200 range instead.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Is there a recommended visual breakdown of "this is what an IPS panel looks like versus a TN" to see if the TN display would be enough of a dealbreaker for me? I've always used IPS panels on my own systems but I could work with TN maybe if the price is right.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
My Dell AW3418DW arrived! Posting from it now:

- Overclocks out of the box to 120hz Gsync perfectly fine, looks fantastic playing GTAV and confirmed in Fraps it was hitting the cap of 118 that I set with no tearing.
- Insane refresh makes my mouse cursor look really good when it moves...
- Looks nice from the front, LED lightning looks nice in red, sort of like Mass Effect /Tron styling.
- OSD buttons are not as bad as I thought they'd be, menus aren't hell to navigate but they kept the options fairly basic

Nitpicks:

- Went to the Pixel Buddy site, has 2 dead pixels, no bright pixels. In ordinary use I can't even spot the dead pixels, I get them confused with errant specks of dust. I can get a perfect one cross-shipped any time in the next 3 years though, so no rush.
- Not much IPS bleed, though it is mostly in the lower left so my Windows start menu icon has a silvery background instead of black.
- No loving speakers on this! I guess I was spoiled by the Asus. This has a passthrough headphone out jack, but I miss the built-in speakers for when I'm too lazy to put on my headphones. I guess I can stick some lovely non-amplified speaker to the back of the monitor and try to drive that.
- Integrated AC cord, as opposed to a power brick. I'm not a fan of that, as I'm eventually taking an RV tour and wanted to run it from the DC system, like I can with my PC's Pico PSU.
- No cool OSD stuff like the FPS counter and Crosshairs the Asus has
- LED lightning is pretty dim and there's no way to tun it up, I'd have liked more light to hit my keyboard.

In short, I got mine super cheap because of Dell gift cards... if I had to pay retail, I wouldn't get this if I could get the Asus 34 Gsync for $200 less. The extra 20hz doesn't make up for the Asus's lower price, built-in speakers, and better buttons/OSD. If a deal/sale ever puts this at or under the competition (Asus/Acer 34), then it might be worth it for you, especially if you value the peace of mind from the free 3-year crossship warranty.

Edit: I was wrong, the Dell does have a built-in FPS counter, it's just a little obscured in the menus.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Oct 12, 2017

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Zero VGS posted:

- I can get a perfect one cross-shipped any time in the next 3 years though, so no rush.
- Integrated AC cord, as opposed to a power brick.
- LED lightning is pretty dim and there's no way to tun it up, I'd have liked more light to hit my keyboard.

Thanks for the feedback; I know a lot of people have been real interested to see how Dell's version would shake out.

Personal preference and all, but if I were in the market for a new monitor I'd probably see these as reason enough for the $200 bump. Especially with the (comparatively) subdued aesthetics vs the ASUS.

That said, the current winner is still pretty clearly the refurbed X34 for $750 straight from Acer.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The X34 has the option to keep the USB ports powered during sleep, but it's not clear to me if it maintains a live USB connection to the upstream PC in either configuration. Does anyone know? (I bet someone knows.)

Sterling_Archer
May 10, 2012

"What do you mean we're not in compliance?"

Zero VGS posted:

My Dell AW3418DW arrived! Posting from it now:

- Overclocks out of the box to 120hz Gsync perfectly fine, looks fantastic playing GTAV and confirmed in Fraps it was hitting the cap of 118 that I set with no tearing.
- Insane refresh makes my mouse cursor look really good when it moves...
- Looks nice from the front, LED lightning looks nice in red, sort of like Mass Effect /Tron styling.
- OSD buttons are not as bad as I thought they'd be, menus aren't hell to navigate but they kept the options fairly basic

Nitpicks:

- Went to the Pixel Buddy site, has 2 dead pixels, no bright pixels. In ordinary use I can't even spot the dead pixels, I get them confused with errant specks of dust. I can get a perfect one cross-shipped any time in the next 3 years though, so no rush.
- Not much IPS bleed, though it is mostly in the lower left so my Windows start menu icon has a silvery background instead of black.
- No loving speakers on this! I guess I was spoiled by the Asus. This has a passthrough headphone out jack, but I miss the built-in speakers for when I'm too lazy to put on my headphones. I guess I can stick some lovely non-amplified speaker to the back of the monitor and try to drive that.
- Integrated AC cord, as opposed to a power brick. I'm not a fan of that, as I'm eventually taking an RV tour and wanted to run it from the DC system, like I can with my PC's Pico PSU.
- No cool OSD stuff like the FPS counter and Crosshairs the Asus has

In short, I got mine super cheap because of Dell gift cards... if I had to pay retail, I wouldn't get this if I could get the Asus 34 Gsync for $200 less. The extra 20hz doesn't make up for the Asus's lower price, built-in speakers, and better buttons/OSD. If a deal/sale ever puts this at or under the competition (Asus/Acer 34), then it might be worth it for you, especially if you value the peace of mind from the free 3-year crossship warranty.

Edit: I was wrong, the Dell does have a built-in FPS counter, it's just a little obscured in the menus.

I'm looking to buy one of these in November so thanks for the review!

Price-wise though, just ask any friend that works in IT with a Dell Premier account to get you one. My Dell rep just quoted me this panel for $1065 + tax (Free shipping because premier).

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Subjunctive posted:

The X34 has the option to keep the USB ports powered during sleep, but it's not clear to me if it maintains a live USB connection to the upstream PC in either configuration. Does anyone know? (I bet someone knows.)

My Acer XB271HU does, so I'd assume the X34 works in the same way.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Sterling_Archer posted:

I'm looking to buy one of these in November so thanks for the review!

Price-wise though, just ask any friend that works in IT with a Dell Premier account to get you one. My Dell rep just quoted me this panel for $1065 + tax (Free shipping because premier).

Wow yeah, for $1065 I'd take this over anything else easily.

Sterling_Archer
May 10, 2012

"What do you mean we're not in compliance?"

Zero VGS posted:

Wow yeah, for $1065 I'd take this over anything else easily.

Yeah that's my thinking as well. Best balance of performance/quality/cost at that price-point.

It also tells me that people that are paying $1500 for them are paying some serious early-adopter fees, the price will settle to 1200 pretty fast if they are willing to quote me almost 30% off for a 60 second call to my rep.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Thanks!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

So wait a sec, if power to the USB port is disabled, how does it keep peripherals connected to the PC? By my understanding devices (keyboard for example) need the +5V line to be powered in order to function.

Does “unpowered during sleep” really mean “low amperage during sleep”?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Subjunctive posted:

So wait a sec, if power to the USB port is disabled, how does it keep peripherals connected to the PC? By my understanding devices (keyboard for example) need the +5V line to be powered in order to function.

Does “unpowered during sleep” really mean “low amperage during sleep”?

Errr, but you said "powered during sleep"? As far as I know the USB ports just keep working normally regardless of whether the monitor is asleep.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Errr, but you said "powered during sleep"? As far as I know the USB ports just keep working normally regardless of whether the monitor is asleep.

Sorry, that’s what I meant by “either configuration”. If it’s not powered during sleep, can you still wake up with a connected keyboard for example? I’m finding reports I don’t understand.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

Sorry, that’s what I meant by “either configuration”. If it’s not powered during sleep, can you still wake up with a connected keyboard for example? I’m finding reports I don’t understand.

Sorry, I think both our wires have gotten crossed here, my XB271HU keeps its USB ports in the same state no matter what, there is no option to have them power off during sleep so I don't know how the X34 would handle things when set to power off USB ports during sleep. In fact even having the option does not make much sense to me, why would anyone want to power off the USB ports anyway?

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
I don't actually know it, but my guess is that the monitor has a powered USB hub and when the monitor is powered off, the USB hub works as a normal unpowered one. So you can't use high draw devices like external drives with it unless the monitor is on.

I have a powered USB hub from Belkin and I can disconnect the power cord, and the computer USB port still provides enough power for the hub and mouse receiver connected to it.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

So uh, the OP is hella outdated but I am looking at getting this:
https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX61439

It's 144hz 1440p and not TN, so that all seems good... but Acer is not a brand that stands high in my mind.
Is it terrible?

Basically my current Samsung 1440p is annoying me because it ghosts a little and I want to get a monitor that doesn't but retains the same pixel density or more.

https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX63050

Why is this so cheap...

SRQ fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Oct 12, 2017

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

SRQ posted:

It's 144hz 1440p and not TN, so that all seems good... but Acer is not a brand that stands high in my mind.
Is it terrible?

Basically my current Samsung 1440p is annoying me because it ghosts a little and I want to get a monitor that doesn't but retains the same pixel density or more.

Acer's high end monitors are some of the best, their weak point would be that the OSD tends to be disorganized and hard to navigate.

EDIT: I don't know why the prices on those two monitors are so good, Canada usually has terrible prices...

AVeryLargeRadish fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Oct 12, 2017

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Would this one be considered high end? I think I've boiled my choices down to one of those two- they fit my current budget, it's just a decision of which and if 144hz for GAMES is worth more to me than 4k for NOT GAMES (lmao my 970 can't game at 4k)

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

SRQ posted:

Would this one be considered high end? I think I've boiled my choices down to one of those two- they fit my current budget, it's just a decision of which and if 144hz for GAMES is worth more to me than 4k for NOT GAMES (lmao my 970 can't game at 4k)

It's the Freesync version of the XB270HU, which is the predecessor to the XB271HU. The 270 was a very good monitor and the 271 was mostly an upgrade in terms of better quality control and a new aesthetic for the Acer gaming monitors to better separate them from their normal monitor lines. So in short I would say yes, it's a high quality monitor. Personally I would go with the 1440p/144Hz one because 4k is awfully tiny at 27", also because you have a 970 and you are not running 1440p very smoothly without Gsync, start saving up for a video card upgrade or shell out for the Gsync version of one of these monitors.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

It's the Freesync version of the XB270HU, which is the predecessor to the XB271HU. The 270 was a very good monitor and the 271 was mostly an upgrade in terms of better quality control and a new aesthetic for the Acer gaming monitors to better separate them from their normal monitor lines. So in short I would say yes, it's a high quality monitor. Personally I would go with the 1440p/144Hz one because 4k is awfully tiny at 27", also because you have a 970 and you are not running 1440p very smoothly without Gsync, start saving up for a video card upgrade or shell out for the Gsync version of one of these monitors.

As is I can run it smoothly for what I play, Overwatch and such. Even did Prey just fine.
I'm alright with downscaling to 1080 for stuff that pushes it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

In fact even having the option does not make much sense to me, why would anyone want to power off the USB ports anyway?

Presumably to reduce power usage, which is the purpose of sleep mode itself after all.

In my case I want some bias lighting to turn off, and it's powered by USB.

filthychimp
Jan 2, 2006
Damned dirty ape

SRQ posted:

Is it terrible?

That's 100% a TN panel. That's the XG270HU. I nearly bought one by accident myself.

The IPS version is the XF270HU and XF270HUA. The HUA version is a later revision with slimmer bezels and better QC. Sellers consider it a minor revision and will probably give you a HUA model regardless.

Anyway, I own a XF270HUA and it's excellent in every respect. No dead pixels, no backlight bleed, minimal IPS glow. 144hz is great. I don't really notice Freesync at all, though.

filthychimp fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Oct 13, 2017

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Goddamn you're right, serves me for trusting the sites filtering.

With all this considered, what would be the current best (Bonus if Memory Express sells it) monitor I could get? Perhaps throw 144hz out the window. 1440p, as little ghosting as possible and as good colours as possible.

SRQ fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Oct 13, 2017

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
Are there any 24" IPS 144hz monitors worth buying? I'm having trouble finding any.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

willroc7 posted:

Are there any 24" IPS 144hz monitors worth buying? I'm having trouble finding any.

That's because they don't make any, if you want IPS and high refresh it starts at 27"/1440p.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
Well that sucks.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
The Acer Predator X34 is on sale with a promo code EMCBRBC49 from Newegg for about $920 currently. If you don’t care much about the extra refresh rate and can’t be bothered to find someone with a Dell Premier account, this is still the best value for getting GSync 34” IPS ultrawide for the next year probably (still *sigh*). I’m tired of waiting and I’m going to expense this out on taxes anyway so I’ll be rocking 2 34” monitors and a 24” 4K for a bit. I think I need a new desk before trying to put them all on my desk at once though, it’s buckling under my Ergotron and the monitors.

Even though I can get it from Microcenter it’s still more than $1k locally and the warranty is far better than for the refurbished models.

necrobobsledder fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Oct 13, 2017

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

willroc7 posted:

Well that sucks.

Is it a price thing? I had a 24" 1080p 144Hz and went to 27" 1440p 165Hz and it is glorious

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

is there a good solution to have a dual monitor on a single stand? I have two 24" dell monitors (s2418hn and s2340m) side by side but i wanted to clear up some space on my desk so that they both are mounted on a single base (also one of the monitors is a 23" so i need to place a book under the stand for the screens to be level).

ughhhh fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Oct 13, 2017

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

ughhhh posted:

is there a good solution to have a dual monitor on a single stand? I have two 24" dell monitors (s2418hn and s2340m) side by side but i wanted to clear up some space on my desk so that they both are mounted on a single base (also one of the monitors is a 23" so i need to place a book under the stand for the screens to be level).

Those monitors do not appear to have VESA mounting holes, so you would need to get a VESA adapter for each monitor and a dual arm VESA stand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Those monitors do not appear to have VESA mounting holes, so you would need to get a VESA adapter for each monitor and a dual arm VESA stand.

Any suggestions for a dual arm VESA stand? There seems to be a good number of options for VESA adapters for these dell monitors, just wondering it there are well known dual monitor stands that people like to reduce the monitor footprint on the desk.