Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Main reason to use the Boom Hammer: it obliterates Winter Lanterns.

marshmallow creep posted:

I really want to love the Boom Hammer because gently caress, it's called the loving BOOM HAMMER, so I'm hoping I can make it work. Perhaps I'll try it with the Beast Cutter and give the Saif a try when I go back to my NG+ Church Pick skill character.

A lot of people assume it's just "big Tonitrus but with fire and only one hit" but it's functionally quite different. There's no reason to ever NOT light the Tonitrus, but with Boom Hammer you actually need to plan out when you're going to light it or not. Boom Hammer is all about figuring out when you can only get one strong hit in, or wail on the enemy with weaker ones. This is not because the fire only lasts for one hit, but because fire hits use more stamina and have a longer cooldown time before you can swing again. Starting a full R1 combo with fire will actually deal LESS damage than one without, same with alternating between R1 and L1 strikes. I find it a super interesting weapon with a surprising amount of decisions to make on the fly, but most people don't really like it. Here's a video of me using it to fight against an optional late(ish) game boss from the chalice dungeons, so there's not much in terms of spoilers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdovQ2kevko

(ignore the death at the end of this)
I think my stat spread was around 50 STR / 25 ARC when I recorded this video, to give you an idea of what to do with your stats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I was really not a fan of the Beast Cutter when I used it to compliment the Stake Driver. Slow and largely uninteresting hits untransformed, even slower hits in whip form that leave you wide open afterwards, and the damage always was disappointing. Maybe as a main weapon, when you really get used to it, but eeeh I'm not feeling it.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Okay, I can see what you mean.

And I hate the Giant too. That particular one I think I cheesed with the Gatling Gun after I got it's health down enough to trigger its whipping chain phase.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
Was considering doing a new character in honor of Friday the 13th if anyone else wants to do some coop.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

tweet my meat posted:

I didn't notice it before, but the flamesprayer uses no stamina, allowing you to extend combos when you have a big opening on a boss, while also allowing your stamina to regenerate. Me and a dude who summoned me stunlocked Paarl for pretty much his entire healthbar when I used this trick. This'll definitely be going into the hunter's playbook.

You know, I've never really used the flamesprayer. I really ought to give that a shot

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Beast cutter is for either pure strength or pure arcane characters. The alt form is an even more extreme threaded cane whip--something you'll never use on bosses due to its awful DPS and how long it locks you in place, but great for things like those gangly witches with a posse of dudes patrolling in rotted dungeons because it is probably the best combination of range and sweep on any attack in the game. You can transform attack for a sudden increase in range which is neat and its stagger is good enough to support its slower speed. It also feels amazing to use with great sounds.

You will definitely be maining the normal form though, which is basically a transformed saw cleaver.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Simply Simon posted:

I was really not a fan of the Beast Cutter when I used it to compliment the Stake Driver. Slow and largely uninteresting hits untransformed, even slower hits in whip form that leave you wide open afterwards, and the damage always was disappointing. Maybe as a main weapon, when you really get used to it, but eeeh I'm not feeling it.

Amy's arm is a better weapon overall then the beast cutter. Shorter range of course but it swings fast and has nice L1 combos with the bone form wich also staggers like a mofo. Beast cutter could use some love in both swing speed and damage but well, not everything has to be top tier.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

U-DO Burger posted:

You know, I've never really used the flamesprayer. I really ought to give that a shot

It's really good once you get used to it. Even when other options deal better arcane damage overall, it's still super quick and is perfect for squeezing in some chip damage with a quick spray, or just hosing down certain enemies from relative safety.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Flamesprayer also lets you cheese the first half of the games bosses, Rosemarius doesn’t ever dominate anything like that hard but it’s cool

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I found the flamesprayer at +3 to be less effective against Amelia than I had hoped, even with ash. It destroyed the BSB, though.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Brainsuckers are really fun and interesting enemies to fight, especially a loving pack of them in a tight corridor. I wish there were even more brainsuckers in upper cathedral ward.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Yes, I wish that there were more of tihasdkfjhskdjlfhaskldjfhaslkfjh asdkjfhskfjhsdlkfjhsad

I loving HATE THEM SO MUCH

By the way, they can cast the chain thing almost forever so yeah, they're lovely.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Brainsuckers are interesting because they take 2 insight from you, unless you mash, in which case they only take one. I wonder why that is.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

tweet my meat posted:

Brainsuckers are really fun and interesting enemies to fight, especially a loving pack of them in a tight corridor. I wish there were even more brainsuckers in upper cathedral ward.

Mods??

CJacobs posted:

Brainsuckers are interesting because they take 2 insight from you, unless you mash, in which case they only take one. I wonder why that is.

As far as I can tell, it just functions exactly like grab attack damage, which is also reduced by button-mashing. You struggle, you take less damage!

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

tweet my meat posted:

This but unironically. I loved the chalice dungeon room I got with 4 of them.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I hate Brainsuckers because they are actually really easy to fight but I always gently caress it up so I come out of every encounter feeling like a scrub

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Brainsuckers are an enemy that massively punish small mistakes and don't leave a lot of windows to attack safe from the stun grab. They're not the most difficult enemies to face, but they're definitely one of the most frustrating.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I got mad at brainsuckers once and then I remembered my tonitrus.

monny
Oct 20, 2008

dollar dollar bill, y'all

JBP posted:

I got mad at brainsuckers once and then I remembered my tonitrus.

This, but Blacksky Eye :c00l:

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
So I got to The One Reborn, where I had quit on my last playthrough after getting frustrated. I managed to kill it after a few tries, and it was absolutely harrowing on the actual run, I was down to 0 vials. I still think I like tower knight better, but Reborn was a really fun fight. I'm playing more or less blind from here on out, so that should be fun.

My build is also really starting to shine now that I'm at 30/30 skl/arc. The whip is devastating at +8 and the hunter tools give me all the utility and ranged damage I need. I've actually decided to drop the gun from the loadout altogether and just go with only flamesprayer in the offhand, since parrying with augur is so much more fun and rewarding.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

tweet my meat posted:

Brainsuckers are an enemy that massively punish small mistakes and don't leave a lot of windows to attack safe from the stun grab. They're not the most difficult enemies to face, but they're definitely one of the most frustrating.

Not counting DLC or Chalice Dungeon enemies, I'd say the list of most obnoxious enemies to fight goes roughly like this;

Upper Cathedral Ward Brain Suckers
Winter Lanterns
Yetis
Garden of Eyes
Maneater Boars(primarily the ones in Mergo's Loft, but the ones in Hypogean Gaol can be annoying at low levels as well)
Scourge Beasts when fighting more than one at a time(which is most of the encounters you have with those guys, probably because the developers realized that Scourge Beasts are kinda chumps solo)
Vermin infested Silver Beasts

Note that this list has nothing to do with DIFFICULTY, just on how annoying they are to fight

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

drrockso20 posted:

Not counting DLC or Chalice Dungeon enemies, I'd say the list of most obnoxious enemies to fight goes roughly like this;

Upper Cathedral Ward Brain Suckers
Winter Lanterns
Yetis
Garden of Eyes
Maneater Boars(primarily the ones in Mergo's Loft, but the ones in Hypogean Gaol can be annoying at low levels as well)
Scourge Beasts when fighting more than one at a time(which is most of the encounters you have with those guys, probably because the developers realized that Scourge Beasts are kinda chumps solo)
Vermin infested Silver Beasts

Note that this list has nothing to do with DIFFICULTY, just on how annoying they are to fight

This list is pretty much spot on for me aswell. Winter Lanterns aren't hard, just loving annoying and their grab attack is so slow and has hosed up frames that unless you knock them down, they will do a 180 and grab you despite being behind.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I like Winter Lanterns as an idea but their execution leaves a bit to be desired. I sort of wish they only did the frenzy in like a cone, maybe if they're looking at you or something, but I get that it's better thematically that just looking at them at all hurts your poor brain.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

do you not get frenzy if you don't look at them?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Once they've become "aware" of you at least once and are glowing it affects you whenever you're in their line of sight iirc, doesn't matter if you're facing them or not. That would've been a neat mechanic too I think.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Well, they're a lantern, it makes sense that their glow shines all around them and affects you in a full circle around them as long as they're turned on. Doesn't make them less obnoxious to deal with, but it does make sense at least.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Makes me really glad that Tiny Tont goes through walls, makes fighting the ones on the way to the Mensis Brain a bit less of a pain in the rear end

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
A third alternative idea: hitting them with an attack shuts off the Hunter Grill Beam, so you still have to get physically close and into their field of influence and eat at least some frenzy. Reinforces the whole "be aggressive not defensive" thing and fits with their theme.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

How about my "saving 60 Insights for a Chunk after Mergo" thing, how does this fit with their theme smartass

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
A fourth alternative idea: Make crafting mats purchaseable with blood echoes or insight instead of just the latter Fromsoft please

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

If you save every madman's knowledge (and great one) you have enough to get a chunk right after mergo. I think you just need 6 or 7 extra insight so you better not go there with 60 because lanterns will gently caress you up quick. Or be like me, go will full frenzy resist armor, rune and sedatives and pray.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Well, first wall on my Boomhammer run has been the Pthumerian Descendant. Fucker is so fast and his side steps take him out of my reach so easily. :argh:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Hey guys, that list of annoying enemies seems ok but how is anyone troubled by Maneater boars? Even with Zero Skill, you bait the charge, visceral them and then they have like 2-3 incredibly slow and telegraphed attacks and you basically always have room to fight them one at a time?

I mean, pig-butt farming is probably the hands down easiest and most profitable by time spent/souls earned, what is the pig doing to you exactly?

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I wish you could use your dinky wood shield to protect yourself from the winter lantern's gaze

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Just had this happen, huh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnD5cYgruLU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Bust Rodd posted:

Hey guys, that list of annoying enemies seems ok but how is anyone troubled by Maneater boars? Even with Zero Skill, you bait the charge, visceral them and then they have like 2-3 incredibly slow and telegraphed attacks and you basically always have room to fight them one at a time?

I mean, pig-butt farming is probably the hands down easiest and most profitable by time spent/souls earned, what is the pig doing to you exactly?

If you fight one in an FRC boss room with the rows of pillars, it can get a bit dicey because you get stuck on the bases and two-shot while trying to circle around. But that's about the only circumstance in which they ever have given me trouble.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

Haha what the hell? Also that's a great title for the video.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

Most of the time it's no real issue, but sometimes their AI does some really screwy stuff, not helped with the Mergo's Loft pigs cause they can cause lag in their part of the level

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
Played the game again after a long hiatus, fought Ludwig for my third time, he's so much fun now that I dont suck at the game anymore.

Also i think the worst boss in the game is a cursed dungeon undead giant. They kill you in pretty much 1 hit on every attack, and they are such damage sponges that you basically have to not get hit for 10+ mintues to have a chance. Its boring and it is obnoxiously difficult, not to mention frustrating to get the thing down to like 5th health bar and have it connect on a kick and kill you instantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Yeah they have way too many goddamn instakills. Everything does at that point but they really stand out because they're unstaggerable wads of health with about half of their moves being instakills (depends somewhat on which type it is). Most weapons only have enough time for one swing in between their attacks and going for two leaves the chance that it'll do a half-second kick to just 100->0 you.