Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
This game

was made by these people

14 years ago. And I'm going to play it for you, internet.

Load screens, and character details.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Nov 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

"What have I done? I'll have to start again. To forget and to disappear. I'll head north, far-north, to that big question mark, the Northern Territory"
I had to check the LP masterlist as I thought this was already done a couple of times but it seems they were both abandoned for whatever reason (I found one from 2014 where he got to level 2 and one go at leveling before stopping) .

There was also an attempt on Steam's project Greenlight to create a sequel in 2015 which faded.

I always thought Ghost Master looked cool and might pick it up - thanks!

The Bold Kobold
Aug 11, 2014

Bold to the point of certain death.
I remember trying to get into this game but not really getting hooked by it. Glad to see someone's trying to Let's Play it though!

Kangra
May 7, 2012

You take the character's name, you take the actress's name, you take them both, and there you have the Kappa Lambda sorority.

I applaud the game's taste for Season 1 as well. Shame they couldn't get Miss Parker in there.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Thank you for playing this game J-man, I was super bummed when both previous attemps fizzled out. Let's hope that third time's really the charm.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I only had the PS2 rerelease game, the Gravenville Chronicles which was overly tedious due to mechanical irritations, like a hard cap on ectoplasm so every time you did something big and scary you'd have to waste in game hours trying to grind it back up again, which is a shame because later levels got interesting and I got stuck at a particularly cool one.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Oct 8, 2017

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

A Perfect Twist posted:

I had to check the LP masterlist as I thought this was already done a couple of times but it seems they were both abandoned for whatever reason (I found one from 2014 where he got to level 2 and one go at leveling before stopping) .

It sucks that Archives are down (How long has it been?) because I like to go back and see what others attempted and if there's something else I can do differently. I guess "completing the game" will be my target for making this playthrough stand out.

Kangra posted:

You take the character's name, you take the actress's name, you take them both, and there you have the Kappa Lambda sorority.

I applaud the game's taste for Season 1 as well. Shame they couldn't get Miss Parker in there.

They had a lot of fun naming people in this game. I won't be looking over everyone's name in video, but I'll list them all with each future update.

BioEnchanted posted:

I only had the PS2 rerelease game, the Gravenville Chronicles which was overly tedious due to mechanical irritations, like a hard cap on ectoplasm so every time you did something big and scary you'd have to waste in game hours trying to grind it back up again, which is a shame because later levels got interesting and I got stuck at a particularly cool one.

Were the console versions that different from the PC version? The game's design is simple enough that I figured it would be a very straightforward port.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
AS a recall, you get a much more limited plasm meter, where you fill it to red and it kind of ticks down when no one is actively being frightened. You are only guaranteed to have one notch of plasm which increases based on how many people you spook at once, but also they add an annoying, way too tight timer so you have to accomplish the mission by dawn, which is a nightmare that means that any time wasted on trying to herd the AI is time that may screw you later depending on if there are compound objectives. Also the levels are different, so in the first level I think you have to first trick a character into freeing the electric-monkey ghost from a vending machine and then you unlock him first (you only start with Boo and one other ghost we haven't seen yet). Weather Witch is trapped in a later early level in an outhouse that you need to lure someone into opening. Also the ghosts don't talk, the narrator tells you how to free them as the camera sweeps the level.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Oct 8, 2017

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Consider me intrigued. I've vaguely heard about this game (mostly due to the fact that it's engine either is or is based of the one of The Sims), but I haven't actually watched it.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
On the "recommend" feature, it's also about the only way to be guaranteed you have a team able to unlock whatever "trapped" ghosts are present in the mission, if I remember right, unless you were reading a FAQ beforehand, since they often needed some pretty specific setups to function.

I played it ages ago, and have attempted to replay it since, but it's as stable as a two-legged dog on ice on modern systems. I didn't remember it being that bad when I originally played it, though I seem to remember never being able to get the expansion to work.

It's kind of a shame that no one else ever picked up the concept(or that the original creators never tried it again), because it's a great idea that just... wasn't done terribly well. It got pitched as needing to manage mortals around the place to properly terrify them, herding them into corners and making them gibberingly insane by abusing their specific fears, the layouts of where they were, etc. But outside of a couple of puzzle levels, it was pretty easy to just brute force your way through almost every level, and the puzzle levels were... just painfully linear and, again, essentially uncompleteable without using the "recommend" button, which tended to drop the exact same teams on you over and over, so you hardly got to use half your final team at all.

Even so, a lot of the design was pleasing enough that I had fun playing through it the first time around.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

PurpleXVI posted:

On the "recommend" feature, it's also about the only way to be guaranteed you have a team able to unlock whatever "trapped" ghosts are present in the mission, if I remember right, unless you were reading a FAQ beforehand, since they often needed some pretty specific setups to function.

It's mainly later ones that require a great deal of setup and even then, the RNG can still gently caress you over.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
I am really enjoying this, you have a nice way of explaining this game. (The last one I watched of this was really boring)

But would you be able to increase your volume. I checked your tony hawk LP to be sure, but you have it fairly low.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

PurpleXVI posted:

...essentially uncompleteable without using the "recommend" button, which tended to drop the exact same teams on you over and over, so you hardly got to use half your final team at all.

I'm doing by best to be aware of these things. So far, with our limited roster, new ghosts are getting cycled in, but if it starts getting too repetitive I'll either try to change it up for missions or just include extra footage of them during replays.

Lord Windy posted:

I am really enjoying this, you have a nice way of explaining this game. (The last one I watched of this was really boring)

But would you be able to increase your volume. I checked your tony hawk LP to be sure, but you have it fairly low.

I'll work on it. :) I guess sometimes when you're listening to tracks over and over through headphones, it ends up harder to determine if the balances are alright.

Anyway, here are the load screens for the first and second levels. I also added the names and details of each character. Levels are gonna get a lot more full, so I'll probably need to do multiple images for some of them.

And along with that, here's the next level.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

I am digging this, I played it around 2008 but could never figure out all the controls, keep it up, great for the season. Oh, and I always picked the ghosts that I thought were the coolest, that might have hindered me a bit. Think I made it to a hospital and then gave up.

PantslessScot
Dec 4, 2007
Are You Surprised?

A Perfect Twist posted:

I am the worst person. I've always toyed with actually not being a shitlord and completing it, probably as a VLP, but i'm also lazy. So! Here we are, someone doing my work for me.

I can only hope that Jamesman finds as many dumb ways to complete objectives as there are to find. Including having mafiosos electrocute themselves via light switches after taking a dump.

Azure Dreamer
Oct 14, 2012

wearing sunglasses makes me a cool kid
i like the idea of this game but like watching this video it really seems like for every interesting thing it does they also made it an enormous chore to play.

boy it sure is a good thing i don't have to play it myself, then.

Treuan
Jun 30, 2011

Go have some COFFEE with CREAM or something! Because I'll tell you something! This is a happy place!
I played this game for a time way back in the day, but I never did manage to get past some of the stranger design decisions (or I'm just not good at video games. The choice is yours!). But I'm glad to see this game being played so I can feel that sweet, sweet rose-colored rush with none of the side effects!

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I like that they changed up the mission goals to doing something helpful, in a way. It would've been weird if it turned out that woman's lawyer hired us to scare off the new owners of the house.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
I remember my brother having this on his computer and me being incredibly confused by the interface and not figuring out what the hell to do.
It kind of reminds me of an old Sega game called Haunting.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Azure Dreamer posted:

i like the idea of this game but like watching this video it really seems like for every interesting thing it does they also made it an enormous chore to play.

boy it sure is a good thing i don't have to play it myself, then.

The concept is very strong, but as of this point in the game it's not being utilized to the best of its abilities. I think what hurts it the most is there's no real incentive to find out and exploit fears, or to drive people insane (unless required). Completing missions fast gives you a multiplier on your entire score, so you're encouraged to zip through everything instead of being methodical about it. And speaking of speed, the AI can really gently caress that up. This last mission relies a lot on the AI choosing to do something themselves; you can only control their behavior so much through powers. No matter how efficient I've tried to be, I can't get the highest speed rating. Maybe it's a bit too early to say this, but if the gameplay was a bit more balanced to encourage varied used of ghosts and powers, and the AI was a bit better, you'd have an amazing game instead of a good game.

Anyway, new video time. My headset is currently held together by duct tape so I'm spacing vids out a little bit more while I wait for a new one to arrive. Should be a week or two at most until we're back to a more regular schedule.

If you look at the characters, you'll see a familiar name. Guess Karen didn't get enough spooking in the first level.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
While you can technically do them in either order, I believe that you're actually meant to do Weird Séance before The Calamityville Horror as your requisites for getting the ghosts are far easier and in fact Wendal is guaranteed so long as you leave at least his three nerd buddies in the basement until last which is not hard since you'd have to actively get them out of the basement to scare them.

Terroreyes is the only one that can be considered hard since the alternative method for freeing him requires having an unlucky mortal pickup and subsequently drop his jar.

Some have also claimed that Lucky is hard but as long as the mortals aren't too afraid to play the pinball machine you should be fine.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Oct 11, 2017

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Edited due to accidental spoiler.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Oct 11, 2017

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Chimera-gui posted:

While you can technically do them in either order, I believe that you're actually meant to do Weird Séance before The Calamityville Horror as your requisites for getting the ghosts are far easier and in fact Wendal is guaranteed so long as you leave at least his three nerd buddies in the basement until last which is not hard since you'd have to actively get them out of the basement to scare them.

Terroreyes is the only one that can be considered hard since the alternative method for freeing him requires having an unlucky mortal pickup and subsequently drop his jar.

Some have also claimed that Lucky is hard but as long as the mortals aren't too afraid to play the pinball machine you should be fine.

Yeah, you can do them in either order, but I didn't see any benefit that the ghosts in this level would give me for the other one, and I didn't wanna do two "Scare Everybody" missions back-to-back to start this LP off.

I think you might also be able to get Terror Eyes by using TK Storm and moving/breaking the jar as a result. Aether is a pretty simple way to get him.

Another way to get Lucky is to send the pinball machine on the fritz yourself with electrical powers like Wild & Crazy. Some ghosts are very specific in how you unlock them, while others can have a handful of ways to deal with.

BioEnchanted posted:

An aspect that the rerelease did better IMO was the Seance level, because in the PS2 version they completely flipped the script - you had to help the teens find the book, gather them in the basement and get them to perform a summoning spell, and for it you got a cool prerendered cutscene of them summoning a demon and being scared off. That was a cool third level.

That's actually the next level - Summoners Not Included.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Sorry about that, edited the post. Didn't realise that was the 4th level, must have conflated them in my head.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Man this is a neat game. I'd reinstall it but I seem to remember getting it to work on today's computers is a horror. It was great though, I think I completed it but maybe not the bonus level. Or maybe I did. I'll just have to watch to find out I guess.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
That's completely fair, you're not required to do levels in a specific order when there are multiple ones available even though the game clearly does expect you to do so hence why this was easier since it was intended to be done first.

I do remember the method that used to free Weather Witch could also be used to free Lucky though that requires Cogjammer as Lucky does not out with any electrical ability though she is able to learn them.

In general the three Gremlins in this game fill overlapping niches as their powers are either loving with electrical devices or luck manipulation with Lucky falling into the latter and Cogjammer being in the middle.

And yeah at this point, freeing ghosts is still fairly easy though there are some RNG based ones such as the three from The Calamityville Horror which is the level that introduces this concept.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Oct 11, 2017

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
I too recall this game and believe I will enjoy watching this LP. :D

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

BioEnchanted posted:

Sorry about that, edited the post. Didn't realise that was the 4th level, must have conflated them in my head.

No worries. I didn't really consider it a spoiler. I think this game is really arcade-y and doesn't have much to be ruined.

McDragon posted:

Man this is a neat game. I'd reinstall it but I seem to remember getting it to work on today's computers is a horror. It was great though, I think I completed it but maybe not the bonus level. Or maybe I did. I'll just have to watch to find out I guess.

I don't know how Steam does old games, but on GOG they are optimized for modern systems. The game runs almost flawlessly on my system, aside from it having no windowed mode or native widescreen options. I've had it lock up on my once, and a few audio issues, but other than that I can't complain, especially since it was only $6.

I swear I'm not sponsored by GOG. But if they're interested...

Chimera-gui posted:

I do remember the method that used to free Weather Witch could also be used to free Lucky though that requires Cogjammer as Lucky does not out with any electrical ability though she is able to learn them.

Since I did the missions in a different order, I was able to trigger Lucky by using Static too. And in Calamityville Horror, I also managed to free Static by using telekinetic powers to free his body instead of using the handyman. Other than those, I can't think of any more alternatives for freeing ghosts up to this point.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
I tend to take Clatterclaws instead of Stonewall for this mission, though then again I tend to take a Horde for pretty much every single "scare all mortals" mission. Cheap as dirt, all multi-target abilities on short cooldowns and "inside" is the easiest fetter in the game to work around.

Aumanor fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Oct 12, 2017

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Aumanor posted:

I tend to take Clatterclaws instead of Stonewall for this mission, though then again I tend to take a Horde for pretty much every single "scare all mortals" mission. Cheap as dirt, all multi-target abilities on short cooldowns and "inside" is the easiest fetter in the game to work around.

True, but it's nice to have someone outside the house to hit people when they're running around. Having as many bases covered as possible can have uses, though there certainly is an argument to be made for trying to keep everyone rounded up in a couple rooms and hitting them with everyone at once. There definitely is a lot of versatility in how you use your ghosts, which I really appreciate.

I have a quick question for you guys; As you can see, I've been making "Introduction" videos in place of a detailed OP. I was wondering what your thoughts were about this approach, or what I could do differently for videos like that in the future.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

I ended up making this mission look a lot harder than it is. There just seems to be a lot of AI fuckery that caused problems during these recordings.

-If you reveal the basement too quickly, they will just never use the bathroom, meaning you won't get Raindancer.
-Bruce would NOT stop coming to the basement, meaning I didn't have any good opportunities to work on the professor's terror.
-Ended up in a failstate where I guess I scared everyone too much, and they cowered in the basement, not leaving, and not acknowledging the book.
-Used Moonscream's Spooky Surprise, and it did not free her.

That said, I was able to speed through the level and get the second speed rating for it. Perhaps the longer you spend in a level, the more opportunity there is for fuckups.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Oct 14, 2017

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I've mentioned before that Calamityville Horror is more RNG based than Weird Séance as unless you are careful not to have the police see two corpses too soon, you're not likely to get all three restless spirits on the first go.

Well from Summoners Not Included onward, the RNG is going to be far worst in this regard as you are going to be juggling multiple tasks, with some of the tasks required to free certain spirits being ridiculously convoluted.

I remember Deadfellas being particularly nasty in this regard do the nature of the mission.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Deadfellas (the next mission) actually went very smoothly for me. It a longer level due to the nature of the mission, but I didn't run into any AI frustrations of anything.

In the videos, I am a lot slower because I'm trying to talk about what I'm doing and give the audience time to process what's going on. Maybe because of that, I ran into so many issues with this level. Or maybe it's because I used a bad team, or the level's setup didn't lend itself to managing the AI behavior better. Whatever it is, I've gotten past it and completed it to a degree I am happy with.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

All I can guess for dreamcatcher being broken by shattering song is maybe the decorative beads are made of glass, thus ruining it.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Robindaybird posted:

All I can guess for dreamcatcher being broken by shattering song is maybe the decorative beads are made of glass, thus ruining it.

Dream catchers could also just be fragile though I don't know how fragile one would be.

Jamesman posted:

Deadfellas (the next mission) actually went very smoothly for me. It a longer level due to the nature of the mission, but I didn't run into any AI frustrations of anything.

Really? Cause I remember the goon that tried to LP this game before having no end of problems with this level thanks to AI stupidity.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Robindaybird posted:

It's sick and wrong and I won't stand for it. :mad:

But really, using Gather Winds and Tempest together is probably cheaper than Shattering Song anyway, and has less of an impact on the people.

Chimera-gui posted:

Really? Cause I remember the goon that tried to LP this game before having no end of problems with this level thanks to AI stupidity.

I wish I could see the previous attempts, but Archives being broken means I can't go back and find them. I hope I'm doing enough different from those that this LP is entertaining so far and not just parroting what's already been done.

Oh hey Archives appears to be working again nevermind.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Oct 14, 2017

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

The dumb AI works in your favor i suppose. The professor should have just stormed in with his gun and run way with the book, but instead just kinda hangs around shooing away the kids that keep coming back down to bother him over and over :v:

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Man, I love Ghost Master, but I agree it has some issues, mostly revolving around herding the idiot AI around. There's even one restless spirit objective that I basically had to build my entire team for the mission around (anyone who's played knows exactly what I'm talking about). But, what I think really killed Ghost Master was that if you go back to replay a mission, you can't use any ghosts from later missions (at least you can use the higher-tier powers you've unlocked on the ones you can use). Fortunately, there's a mod that fixes that. Granted, in early missions, you rarely have the plasm for the big-ticket ghosts to really cut loose, but it's still fun to have a little more freedom. What really would have made the game great is if they'd added a "skirmish" mode where you can choose a map, number of mortals, and so on, and just have fun scaring the bejeezus out of them with all the ghosts you've collected.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

I've got 3500 Gold Plasm banked and I'm not sure what I wanna spend it on. If anyone's familiar with the game, I'm looking for suggestions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Jamesman posted:

I've got 3500 Gold Plasm banked and I'm not sure what I wanna spend it on. If anyone's familiar with the game, I'm looking for suggestions.

It's been ages since I played this but I'd suggest buying the level 5 power for Buck (the dog Horde you got after reaching Act 2) And maybe even the level 3. With the rest I'd consider waiting until after Facepacks and Broomsticks since that's where you unlock two of my favourite ghosts. Alternatively, see if any of the ghosts you like has an open 8+ level power to help you finish levels faster once you're got the plasm running.

Oh, and a word of advice-don't use Tremor or Quake in the next mission, if I recall corretly it will destroy the computers in one of the rooms giving you a lot less electric fetters to work with.

• Locked thread