Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

I'm sure this has been discussed hundreds of times and is probably a bone of contention in this thread but there doesn't seem to be anything in the OP or on the last several pages, so I will risk wrath and ask anyway.

edit: All the articles I can find about it are from around launch time, and most just concern the LEFT Joycon. Both of mine won't stay connected.
think you got the 1% failure rate that Nintendo does have, call Nintendo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

Signor posted:

So with the Snes classic i just finished Megaman X for the 20th time and i'm craving more, is the Gunvolt series on Switch going to give me that same feeling?

i got azure striker gunvolt striker pack hoping for mega man x and got one game that feels like mega man zero with lovely repetitive levels with good boss fights, and another game that's mega man zero that isn't as repetitive with it's levels with just as good of boss fights, and a second character that's way more fun to play than the main character. kinda sux really. if you think beating the game twelve times to get air dash is good then it might be the game for you

whaley fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Oct 14, 2017

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

I finally bought a Switch after going back and forth about it for weeks (and most of the time it not being in stock anyway). I played it for a few hours in portable mode and was pretty happy, but then decided to try TV mode. So this Joycon bluetooth disconnecting problem is just as bad as it's ever been? Neither of the joycons will stay connected for more than 20 seconds at a time. I've moved the Switch dock all around as far as the wires will allow, and turned off every wireless connected device around there I can think of (and there are no aquariums around my TV lol). Is this really how things still are, even with a new batch of hardware several months after launch?

I don't think the problem was ever the controllers disconnecting, just inputs being choppy/dropped. Sounds like something different is going on with you.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Modus Pwnens posted:

I don't think the problem was ever the controllers disconnecting, just inputs being choppy/dropped. Sounds like something different is going on with you.
Yeah, it was starting to look like that. Just watching the base unit and the joycons sitting here on my bed away from the TV etc, it loses connection with both of them at the same time, then finds them both again at the same time, over and over again.

edit: I think I might have fixed it just by shutting it down and restarting it, but with the joycons away from the base unit at the time. They've gone more than ten seconds without disconnecting now.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Oct 14, 2017

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Evil Eagle posted:

if you want your own file just make another user

She already had her own user on it, it's more "If she gets her own Switch she has to start over from scratch"

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

She already had her own user on it, it's more "If she gets her own Switch she has to start over from scratch"

Now imagine this dilemma but its with Splatoon 2 and you have 100+ hours in it.

I have to swipe my brother's switch anytime In want to play it.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Twice now I've pulled my Switch out of the dock and the screen is on but black, and nothing happens so I have to hold down the power until it reboots. Has this happened to anyone else?

Please don't die Switch!

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
That happens to mine and it seems to happen if someone jostles it while its on the dock but doesn't quite disconnect it.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

Now imagine this dilemma but its with Splatoon 2 and you have 100+ hours in it.

I have to swipe my brother's switch anytime In want to play it.

Isn't Splatoon 2 stuff stored online aside from the story mode stuff

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, it was starting to look like that. Just watching the base unit and the joycons sitting here on my bed away from the TV etc, it loses connection with both of them at the same time, then finds them both again at the same time, over and over again.

edit: I think I might have fixed it just by shutting it down and restarting it, but with the joycons away from the base unit at the time. They've gone more than ten seconds without disconnecting now.

If it happens again see if it gets worse if you cup your hands over the joycon or hold them behind your back. If it's a signal issue Nintendo can fix it quickly and easily.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
I am happy to report that I really really like the neon yellow joycon/strap mix and match.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

LODGE NORTH posted:

Isn't Splatoon 2 stuff stored online aside from the story mode stuff

You would think so, wouldn't you, because that would make sense.
But no, it just saves your battle results online and nothing else.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

It's been said that cloud saves will be a part of Nintendo Online services.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

drat, the grey joycons with the neon covers look great.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Samurai Sanders posted:

edit: All the articles I can find about it are from around launch time, and most just concern the LEFT Joycon. Both of mine won't stay connected.
For what it's worth, I had that, and if you have right joycon issues as well you definitely don't have that (it was a physical defect that a block of capacitive foam added to the inside of the joycon could fix) - contact Nintendo!

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

overdesigned posted:

I am happy to report that I really really like the neon yellow joycon/strap mix and match.

the minion switch

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

overdesigned posted:

I just got my switch last weekend but that's the look I'm aspiring to. Glad it looks as rad as I thought it would.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Amazon gave me a $100 trade in credit on my Wii U and so I caved and bought a Switch. Can't wait to replay Zelda and be a Mario.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
So I finally hooked this thing up in my theatre room and God drat does Breath of the Wild sound rad with surround sound. I was working on the twin peaks shrines and the whooshing mountain air sounded incredible. Can’t wait to pick Mario Kart to see how that sounds.

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

Any hot tips for *not* having to constantly cant the Switch 10-15° away from me/normal straight-on viewing angle when in handheld mode in Splatoon?

I feel like this "reset camera" button doesn't work the way I think it does ("please make this orientation the new neutral")

or am i just hella dum

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

juche avocado posted:

Any hot tips for *not* having to constantly cant the Switch 10-15° away from me/normal straight-on viewing angle when in handheld mode in Splatoon?

I feel like this "reset camera" button doesn't work the way I think it does ("please make this orientation the new neutral")

or am i just hella dum

That first question hosed with my brain so hard.

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

the one time Scottish English would help with ambiguity

nerd_of_prey
Mar 27, 2010
Not played Splatoon for a while do have been turf warring with different weapons to get a feel of what I've missed, played ten matches no problems, then I get a random disconnect then I'm banned from play for five minutes minutes! Is this a new feature, no warning, straight to ban?? I know it's only short but it's annoying, my internet is fine! Could understand them implementing this to prevent disconnects in ranked but why in turf war?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Man, Splatoon 2 is fun, but its matchmaking is a complete dumpster fire that punishes you for wanting to play with a friend.

Salmon Run
-Lets you party with a friend or two and fills the remaining slots with strangers.
-Pits you against AI only.
-Scheduled, can only be played sometimes.

Turf War
-Lets you play with a friend, sometimes.
-Can only tag along after a friend has joined a room, you may not get in until after a full round.
-50/50 chance of being on opposite teams.
-You cannot leave a queue page once you start looking, even if the round is nowhere near starting.

SplatFest
-If you want to include a friend, you have to play with 3 friends, no team spots can be filled by strangers.
-You cannot join a teammate’s room like in Turf War.
-Standard Turf War and Salmon Run matchmaking is disabled during SplatFest.

There is literally no way to play this game with my friend today because it’s an event. How did they possibly decide this was a good idea? I get that they don’t want teams to have smaller parties in them to be nice to the opposing team, but several other games don’t care and it turns out fine.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

https://twitter.com/dpadstudio/status/919245773379981315

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

This was previously known but nice to see it's playable now. I'm just gonna tell my kid it's Owlette.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
What is Owlboy? I don't hate that pixel art but I've literally never heard the name before.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
What are people's thoughts on Mario x Rabbids? It sounds intriguing, mostly because of the aesthetic around it. However it feels like the luster wears off for people pretty quickly, and that the back half of the game is frustrating due to the limitations in the mechanics. Am I right in this?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

PantsBandit posted:

What are people's thoughts on Mario x Rabbids? It sounds intriguing, mostly because of the aesthetic around it. However it feels like the luster wears off for people pretty quickly, and that the back half of the game is frustrating due to the limitations in the mechanics. Am I right in this?

Nah, it's great all the way through.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

PantsBandit posted:

Wrongest you've ever been, big fella.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

PantsBandit posted:

I thought it was way better than an Ubi/Rabbids crossover had any right to be. Enjoyed the first half of it then lost interest pretty early in act 3, but I'm not sure how much of that was the game design and how much of that was me remembering that I never actually like turn-based Xcom-style games as much as I think I do. (But if you're into Xcom-style games, it's definitely worth a try.)

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

PantsBandit posted:

i think it depends on your enthusiasm for silly animated dreamworks-esque cutscenes. the world 3 boss is maybe the most over-the-top pompous mario boss ever. i love him.

the difficulty keeps ratcheting up too; i haven't gotten bored with it yet. i can understand the limitations - i am at the start of world 4 and pretty much maxed most of the skill tree - but the situations the game presents continue to be fun to solve.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

PantsBandit posted:

No it's pretty excellent the whole way through. If anything your options open up greatly in the back half of the game

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

PantsBandit posted:

It stays good all the way through. The game will absolutely kick your rear end later on if you don’t have a grip on the mechanics and strategy but in a good way.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

PantsBandit posted:

It's actually surprisingly good the whole time. It might wear off if you do every single challenge immediately as soon as they're available instead of progressing the story.

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

PantsBandit posted:

No. It is a very good game.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

I slow played mario Rabbids and I found that really enjoyable. If I played the game through quickly instead of 45 minutes or so here and there i would probably have a much more negative view of it. Instead it’s one of my favorite games of recent years

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

DACK FAYDEN posted:

What is Owlboy? I don't hate that pixel art but I've literally never heard the name before.

It's a metroidvania with super detailed pixel art and animation instead of the usual 'couldn't find a decent artist' pixel art.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Good pixel art is the only thing owl boy has going for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Ragequit posted:

So I finally hooked this thing up in my theatre room and God drat does Breath of the Wild sound rad with surround sound. I was working on the twin peaks shrines and the whooshing mountain air sounded incredible. Can’t wait to pick Mario Kart to see how that sounds.

Agreed. Mario Kart is even better, I think. That first level with the fireworks in particular.

• Locked thread