Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space
FINAL UPDATE: Part 09 - Operation Overkill

Typing of the Dead: Overkill is an alternate version/remake of The House of the Dead: Overkill for the Wii, except instead of using motion controls to simulate light gun mechanics, you type... or you die. This isn't a novel concept for the franchise, as 1999 had its own Typing of the Dead game based on House of the Dead 2.

The game is also unapologetically inspired by the Grindhouse double feature movie.

What kind of LP is this?

This is a subtitled Let's Play. I'll be going through single player mode on normal difficulty.

How long will this LP be?

One episode for each level (around 15 minutes each). There will be no extra stuff like unlockables, bonus modes, higher difficulties or multiplayer.

:siren: SPOILER POLICY :siren:

Don't spoil anything we haven't seen in the game yet.

EPISODE LIST
PLAYLIST
Part 01 - Papa's Palace of Pain
Part 02 - Naked Terror
Part 03 - Ballistic Trauma
Part 04 - Carny
Part 05 - Creeping Flesh
Part 06 - Scream Train
Part 07 - The Fetid Waters
Part 08 - Jailhouse Judgement
Part 09 - Operation Overkill

RealSovietBear fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Nov 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space
CAST

(Some descriptions courtesy of the HOTD wiki.)

Click here for the full 615x690 image

Agent G

G's first mission after graduating from the AMS academy is to investigate the mysterious disappearances of people in Bayou City in Louisiana that were linked to the notorious kingpin, Papa Caesar. He reluctantly teams up with Detective Isaac Washington, who has a personal vendetta with Caesar.

Click here for the full 1021x689 image

Isaac Washington

A detective out to avenge the murder of his father at the hands of Papa Caesar. He is extremely rude, foul-mouthed, and trigger-happy, punching a government agent within seconds of meeting him, and loves the "f-bomb" expletive, using it practically for every other word. He often threatens people with "ripping their pussy/dick off", even if they have a lack of it. His pride is his (short-lived) car and in his music, and hates philosophy.

Click here for the full 1028x690 image

Varla Guns

A stripper out to avenge the death of her brother, Jasper.

Jasper Guns

Jasper is the brother of Varla Guns. He is unable to move or speak properly due to a neuron disease. He moves about in a wheelchair since he cannot walk, and has a computerized voice since he is unable to speak. In spite of his disabilities, Jasper possesses a high intellect and aids Papa Caesar by refining the formula.

Click here for the full 798x690 image

Papa Caesar

The notorious kingpin of Bayou City, Papa Caesar exudes wealth and power and commands respect from the highest authorities in the city. In the past Caesar had a confrontation with Isaac's father, who tried to apprehend the kingpin, but failed and was seemingly responsible for the latter's death. This sparked a long bitter feud between Caesar and Isaac.

Caesar forced local genius, Jasper Guns, to serve as his personal researcher by using Jasper's own sister, Varla, as leverage. Caesar's activities had caught attention of the AMS, who sent in rookie agent, G, to apprehend the kingpin, however at the same time Caesar had lost control of the mutant compound, causing an outbreak that transformed Bayou City's populace into mutants.

Click here for the full 693x686 image

Candi Stryper

Jasper's girlfriend. She works at the same strip club as Varla and dreams of leaving Bayou City with her chair bear, Jasper.

Click here for the full 855x689 image

Clement Darling

The county jail warden with a weak bladder and even weaker moral code.

Mother

Clement's mother and one and only love. She is dying at a rapid rate, but Clement refuses to stand by idly.

RealSovietBear fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Nov 27, 2017

Magnus Intactus
Oct 12, 2008

Each of you must approach him. If he snarls and growls, he considers you a chump.

I cannot believe this hasn't been tried before, it is such a perfect LP concept!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

strap in motherf*ckers

e: Okay I hadn't actually watched the video since I'm at work, and those subtitles are an awesome idea.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Oct 12, 2017

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

"Subtitled LP for Typing of the Dead? Seems confusing to have that much text onscreen, how...?"
*watches video*
:stare:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

This is brilliant. :allears:

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
:eyepop: genius

Having made a custom dictionary before, if they're already bullshit under normal circumstances, they'll be waaaay worse when enabled on bosses. Trying to stop Jasper's small single-letter intercept projectiles is a nightmare when you also have to hit lines like "GRINEER DEFENSE ASSET GROUP AUGUST" just to progress. Or trying to break out of his grab with "Do not let this one BLOW UP IN YOUR FACE" before he slams you.

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space

Fish Noise posted:

Having made a custom dictionary before, if they're already bullshit under normal circumstances, they'll be waaaay worse when enabled on bosses. Trying to stop Jasper's small single-letter intercept projectiles is a nightmare when you also have to hit lines like "GRINEER DEFENSE ASSET GROUP AUGUST" just to progress. Or trying to break out of his grab with "Do not let this one BLOW UP IN YOUR FACE" before he slams you.

I ended up disabling them on bosses because the test runs I had were too problematic. Missing a prompt would reset the dictionary sequence and that's not even going into multi-prompt boss gimmicks. On the upside, the default prompts on bosses are pretty good, so it's not much of a loss.

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014
loving brilliant, Bravo. The game is worth a LP and that's doing it with class.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

This is going to be fun.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Absolutely inspired!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

This is a really good idea

Also this loving thread and all the motherfuckers in it better loving break the loving record for the most loving "fucks" uttered in a single loving internet thread. That might be asking a lot on the internet though.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Ingenious.

Edit: fuckin' ingenious.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Oh god it's RealSovietBear again. Your last LP was a work of goddamn art.

...and I just started this LP and once again: holy cow. You're a genius.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
This is nuts, the custom dictionary works like a charm. Also that first level in the manor reminds me of Left for Dead 2 so much.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Holy gently caress, this is an amazing way to do a subtitled LP.

How long does it take for you to set all that up?

sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

Nyu for 1d4 points of damage
I think this is the first time in forever that a video has told me to like, comment, and subscribe and I actually loving did. Also starred, 5'd, and high fived.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Hey OP you accidentally uploaded the raw video, there aren't any subtitles, just game text.

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space

Dr. Fetus posted:

How long does it take for you to set all that up?

The custom dictionary is read from a *.txt file and it's 1 line = 1 prompt. I have a file that has all prompts as "This is line#" so I can have it long enough to see how far/quickly enemies move. I then record a playthrough of a level once with that dictionary. Then I watch the recording and pause at every screen of prompts to see where which line is. Even though all the lines are sequential, some break sequence because it's based on when the enemy spawns in, including off-screen. There were some instances where I would get lines 33, 34, 36, but line 35 came in on the next screen rotation because of the way enemies are spawned in. So then I write a new text file as I watch, replacing every line with the commentary I want. Then I play through the level with the actual commentary and possibly replay it if I messed up badly enough.

Coupled with savegame shenanigans (since I want to pick up unlocks as I play through the LP), it took me around 3 hours for the 15 minute episode.

Also, thanks for all the comments, folks! Glad you're enjoying it.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Between this and Little Nightmares, I think we have a new Gold Standard in Subtitled VLPs. Keep it up!

Are you going to be doing the DLC?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Okay, this is genius.

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space
UPDATE: Part 02 - Naked Terror

It's time to strip these mutants... of their lives!

If you're interested in Typing of the Dead's development beyond what was mentioned in this episode, here's the Gamasutra article about it.

berryjon posted:

Are you going to be doing the DLC?

The only DLC for the game are dictionaries. As far as meatier content goes, there is a "Director's Cut" extension for all levels, but that's only for House of the Dead mode (aka, aim with your mouse and shoot), so I won't be doing that.

RealSovietBear fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Oct 14, 2017

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

This grindhouse angle is really making the terrible voice acting work in their favor.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

This grindhouse angle is really making the terrible voice acting work in their favor.

It's also the one single time I've ever thought "this really wouldn't be the same without the jiggle physics."

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Oct 14, 2017

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

It's incredible, isn't it? The best part is the threats that don't make sense. If you stuffed a gun down someone's throat so far that you'd need to reach through the other end up pull the trigger... it'd be outside the body in the first place.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
You should do a bonus video showing off a few minutes of the different dictionaries you have. I've heard the filth dictionary can make for some fun times.

Samovar posted:

It's incredible, isn't it? The best part is the threats that don't make sense. If you stuffed a gun down someone's throat so far that you'd need to reach through the other end up pull the trigger... it'd be outside the body in the first place.

I've got a friend that makes the same sort of threats. I've never had the heart to tell her they're hilarious and completely non-threatening.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
So is there multiplayer support for the actual typing portion? If so, how does that even work?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Fetus posted:

So is there multiplayer support for the actual typing portion? If so, how does that even work?
It's co-op so I'd assume everyone gets their own prompts.

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space

bbcisdabomb posted:

You should do a bonus video showing off a few minutes of the different dictionaries you have. I've heard the filth dictionary can make for some fun times.

I can do a few bonus videos showing that and multiplayer off, once the main playthrough is done.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

This was originally on the Wii? :stare: Are the controls (shoot vs. type) the only difference in this alternate version/remake? Because that's a lot more M-for-Mature than I'd expect to find on the Wii.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Hirayuki posted:

This was originally on the Wii? :stare: Are the controls (shoot vs. type) the only difference in this alternate version/remake? Because that's a lot more M-for-Mature than I'd expect to find on the Wii.

Pretty much. It gets better (worse?) too. Monstrously fat mutated stripper with mutated stripper monkey companion is pretty high trash point though.

Also Bear I think you must be used to typing "fuckin" with some those G's you missed :v:

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Hirayuki posted:

And you haven't even heard the soundtrack to speak of...

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space
UPDATE: Part 03 - Ballistic Trauma

If you're sick of waiting, I have just what the doctor ordered.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

gently caress, I never noticed that the real boss doesn't shimmer. :saddowns:

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm ready for these Tassled Tittie Temptresses guys.

Jesus Christ the writing in this game is hilarious.

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

Find it very touching that G took time to pose Screamer somewhat with dignity.

I feel the need to add that House of the Dead III was also ported to PC. And it was fun. Very much so.
Apparently, 1 and 2 also were ported, but I never encountered them.

Tell us about plot of the series and history?

NHO fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Oct 20, 2017

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space

NHO posted:

Yeah, I noticed this as well when editing footage and I think it's both a nice attention to detail and also shows how tactful he tries to be despite his partner pushing his limits every 2 seconds.

NHO posted:

Tell us about plot of the series and history?

I have 6 more episodes to cover, so sure, I can do that.

RealSovietBear fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Oct 21, 2017

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
Oh man, I actually really love the plots of the more 'serious' House Of The Dead games, they're delightfully over the top; nobody ever plans to just take over a town or anything, there's always a huge world-ending threat or one that has actually already ended the world in I think 3 or 4, one of them is fully post apocalyptic, and there's fun stuff with dropped plot threads like how Agent G was originally implied to be a robot or cyborg but turned human inexplicably in HOTD2.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

NHO posted:

Little beats like that do a lot for character reveals, and are even more effective in a game that relies on ridiculous amounts of exposition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space
UPDATE: Part 04 - Carny

Time to take a rest from shooting all those zombies mutants and enjoy some carnival rides.

Starting with this update, I'll be updating the LP once a week. Despite it only being roughly 10 minutes of gameplay, it's still a lot of work per episode so it's hard to squeeze in time. I'll be aiming for Friday/Saturday.

• Locked thread