Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

Asiina posted:

If I have to google the term the basic premise your show is based on after you spend a minute of ad time explaining it, it's not a good ad. They do "explain" it in the ad as "a cool thing" which is not useful information at all and doesn't really tell me what they or their guests will be talking about.

It's fine to have an ad that's not really informative. I like the new SPY ads and the Beef and Dairy ones are funny, but this one was supposed to be a really dry explanation that didn't actually explain anything.

they literally say it’s a cool/hot song or album and that every show they bring on a guest to talk about one, it could not be a more informative ad without reading you the Wikipedia page or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Who What Now posted:

Maybe the problem is that you can't seem to pick up on basic context, and not that the ad isn't dumb enough for you to get.

Edit

I mean, they literally say something to the effect of "heat rock means a good song or album". If you can't figure out that they review music from that then I don't think you can be helped.

I just listened to it again.

"We should probably explain what a heat rock is."
"It is a banger, a fire track-true fire."
"Right, dope out."

Then they say they'll bring on a guest to talk about their heat rocks and mention a writer, musician, or scholar. At the very end she says "hot music" very quickly but honestly by that point I was so confused by what they were even talking about.

Honestly if you don't know that term, that is not a good explanation of what it is or what I should expect from the show.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Banger is supposed to be the key phrase telling you it's music there, but I honestly hadn't heard the term until Griffin started using it every time he talks about music a few months ago.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
I’d like to see a Venn diagram of people that dislike the Heat Rocks ad because they find it bewildering and of people that are mad about representation in a podcast hosted by 3-4 straight white men from the same family.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Asiina posted:

"Right, dope out."

Then they say they'll bring on a guest to talk about their heat rocks and mention a writer, musician, or scholar. At the very end she says "hot music" very quickly but honestly by that point I was so confused by what they were even talking about.

Honestly if you don't know that term, that is not a good explanation of what it is or what I should expect from the show.

You're saying that your brain shut off and you temporarily lost comprehension because you heard a few phrases you weren't familiar with? That said some things you didn't understand, and then they said a thing you did understand, but the previous things had temporarily disabled your ability to understand anything. That's absurd.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Ariong posted:

You're saying that your brain shut off and you temporarily lost comprehension because you heard a few phrases you weren't familiar with? That said some things you didn't understand, and then they said a thing you did understand, but the previous things had temporarily disabled your ability to understand anything. That's absurd.

You've never been focusing on trying to understand something you just heard that didn't make sense that you didn't actually take in the things that followed it?

That has never happened to you?

Because that's kinda how cognition works. You can only focus on so many things at a time and if you're thinking about something you can be not paying super close attention to your other senses.

I don't understand why people are getting so defensive because I said "I don't know what this means and I think they did a bad job of explaining it."

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It's a very real phenomenon. You can confuse someone and then they can't hear/see certain things.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Asiina posted:

You've never been focusing on trying to understand something you just heard that didn't make sense that you didn't actually take in the things that followed it?

That has never happened to you?

Because that's kinda how cognition works. You can only focus on so many things at a time and if you're thinking about something you can be not paying super close attention to your other senses.

Not that I remember, but if it's that common, I probably just can't remember anything off the top of my head.

quote:

I don't understand why people are getting so defensive because I said "I don't know what this means and I think they did a bad job of explaining it."

I'm just trying to understand where you're coming from, since I understood immediately.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Asiina posted:

"Right, dope out."

Man, if you don't know what a "fire track" is or, again, can't figure it out from context (hint, it's unlikely they're talking about a good time in the 100 meter dash) then podcasts as a concept might be a bit advanced for you.

Like, it's an ad for a music podcast, not an ancient, alien puzzle box.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Who What Now posted:

Man, if you don't know what a "fire track" is or, again, can't figure it out from context (hint, it's unlikely they're talking about a good time in the 100 meter dash) then podcasts as a concept might be a bit advanced for you.

Like, it's an ad for a music podcast, not an ancient, alien puzzle box.

Some people aren't up on the cool music lingo the kids use these days. I don't think there's a need to insult me for not knowing slang. If their explanation wasn't enough for me then it's probably not a podcast I will enjoy since obviously they are using terms that are familiar to people who are into that and probably will throughout the podcast, but that has nothing to do with someone's intelligence.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
It's not about intelligence, just basic social awareness. These terms aren't obscure.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
This thread is addicted to bitching about ads.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Drunkboxer posted:

This thread is addicted to bitching about ads.

I just wanted to say I didn't like an ad, but apparently I'm an idiot moron for not knowing terminology for something I'm not particularly engaged in who shouldn't be allowed to operate a computer.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
tbf it's totally possible to not know what a "fire track" is you'd just have to be cripplingly, overwhelmingly white

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Asiina posted:

I just wanted to say I didn't like an ad, but apparently I'm an idiot moron for not knowing terminology for something I'm not particularly engaged in who shouldn't be allowed to operate a computer.

No, you're an idiot because you've been complaining about it here for two pages instead of looking it up or going 'guess it's not for me'. Which says you didn't actually want to know what it meant, as it was explained to you here immediately, you just wanted to birch about it. And nobody cares that this one podcast doesn't interest you.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Blockhouse posted:

tbf it's totally possible to not know what a "fire track" is you'd just have to be cripplingly, overwhelmingly white

Hi yes it's me.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
So wait if you pay money to Max fun you still get ads? Hello cable TV business model. That's been doing well.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Are you also the guy who thought a departure meant the same as a track and were wondering why Griffin never named which The Long Winters song they were using?

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Blockhouse posted:

I mean, it's a MaxFun ad

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Asiina posted:

Hi yes it's me.

your AV just makes all of this so loving good/fitting

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Alaois posted:

your AV just makes all of this so loving good/fitting

I am every stereotype you think I am.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Are you now or have you ever been a subscriber to a meal kit, underwear, or snack delivery service

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Are you now or have you ever been a subscriber to a meal kit, underwear, or snack delivery service

As if anyone could actually afford any of the things advertised on podcasts.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

PostNouveau posted:

I refuse to believe the Beef and Dairy Network is funny.

I was actually more interested in it before I found out it was a comedy.

Fellatio del Toro posted:

I just find podcast ads to be the weirdest things ever because I can cook, I just buy cheap comfy underwear because the cloth I cover my balls with doesn't need to be custom tailored from god's own silk worms or whatever, and waiting for snacks to come in the mail sounds super weird when like. There's a lemon in my fridge right now. I could eat that delicious lemon. Do podcast people just never leave their houses?

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

People that listen to podcasts are more often then not middle-class/ upper-middle-class young white people, and their parents usually did not teach them things like "how to cook" or "how to laundry".

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

But for real MeUndies are great and as an underwear evangelist in my personal life I found it hilarious when I started listening this year that they are the same way I am when describing ball cloth.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Asiina posted:

You could have just said, "I didn't really get it and I think it's probably not for me", but instead you acted like it was the creators of the ad were stupid because they used terms you didn't understand. I mean, if you're gonna be that hyperbolic you really can't be mad when people use hyperbole to make fun of you.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Who What Now posted:

You could have just said, "I didn't really get it and I think it's probably not for me", but instead you acted like it was the creators of the ad were stupid because they used terms you didn't understand. I mean, if you're gonna be that hyperbolic you really can't be mad when people use hyperbole to make fun of you.

Asiina posted:

?????

I don't know why you care so much that I don't think they did a good job of explaining what their show was about to a general audience.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I assume there's a knock-off micro-modal underwear that costs a tenth the price?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Asiina posted:

?????

I don't know why you care so much that I don't think they did a good job of explaining what their show was about to a general audience.

Let's go back a tad further

Asiina posted:

I hate the heat rock ad because it tries to be straightforward and informative and yet after a minute of talking I still have no idea what the podcast is about and I'm just bored.

Asiina posted:

If I have to google the term the basic premise your show is based on after you spend a minute of ad time explaining it, it's not a good ad.

Your entire problem is that you, personally, don't know of the term, ergo the ad, is objectively bad. That's dumb, and your opinion is dumb. But, you are not dumb for having one dumb opinion.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost
I didn't really get it, and it's probably not for me. But I guess I won't know if it's for me, because the ad did a bad job of making me want to check it out. Thank you for reading my opinion. Go in peace.

PostNouveau posted:

I assume there's a knock-off micro-modal underwear that costs a tenth the price?

Yes, but if you wear it in public, you risk getting banned from Steam.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
oh poo poo

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

https://twitter.com/AffaNatta/status/919246701470285827

This is so fantastic. I'm continually amazed at how many fans they have.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Oct 14, 2017

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Sankis posted:

https://twitter.com/AffaNatta/status/919246701470285827

This is so fantastic. I'm continually amazed at how many fans they have.

Nobody raid the event and make Raandyy do a hit. <:mad:>

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I actually used Blue Apron, and if you look away from its being way, way too expensive, the ingredients are high-quality and every supper we made from them was wonderful. I actually bought Blue Apron for my parents, who are 83 and have been foodies all their lives, but are finding shopping and planning very difficult nowadays. They adored it until they figured out how much it cost and made us cancel. I got two free meals for paying for Mom and Dad's subscription, and was impressed.

That said, no, I wouldn't have paid for them under any other circumstances.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

PostNouveau posted:

Uniqlo undies!

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Ojjeorago posted:

Uniqlo undies!

I have both a pair of Uniqlos and MeUndies and I actually prefer the Uniqlos a little bit more. Sorry brothers

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
hey what episode was it where they did the goof where they had one of those text to voice programs they kept making say stuff like 'I'm a primo fuckboy who does penis stunts'

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

sexpig by night posted:

hey what episode was it where they did the goof where they had one of those text to voice programs they kept making say stuff like 'I'm a primo fuckboy who does penis stunts'

287, Glistening Fishlifters :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iro8W56yMRE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I actually used Blue Apron, and if you look away from its being way, way too expensive, the ingredients are high-quality and every supper we made from them was wonderful. I actually bought Blue Apron for my parents, who are 83 and have been foodies all their lives, but are finding shopping and planning very difficult nowadays. They adored it until they figured out how much it cost and made us cancel. I got two free meals for paying for Mom and Dad's subscription, and was impressed.

That said, no, I wouldn't have paid for them under any other circumstances.

Yeah, Blue Apron's main problem is that I can get equally good if not better food as takeout for the same price, except I get to choose specifically what I want to eat and get a friendly underpaid member of the working class to cook it for me.

Also my local grocery store is offering Blue-Apron-equivalent boxes for $5 less per dish and it's not a subscription service that takes a loving executive order from the president himself to cancel.