Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Astro7x posted:

Stage is fun. You just need to get good and stop complaining

this is a weird escalation for someone trying to break down why they didn't enjoy a thing but ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Cross posting from the switch thread, but please let me know if I’m wrong here and missing something. Me and a friend have the day off and wanted to play together and can’t.

Rolo posted:

Man, Splatoon 2 is fun, but its matchmaking is a complete dumpster fire that punishes you for wanting to play with a friend.

Salmon Run
-Lets you party with a friend or two and fills the remaining slots with strangers.
-Pits you against AI only.
-Scheduled, can only be played sometimes.

Turf War
-Lets you play with a friend, sometimes.
-Can only tag along after a friend has joined a room, you may not get in until after a full round.
-50/50 chance of being on opposite teams.
-You cannot leave a queue page once you start looking, even if the round is nowhere near starting.

SplatFest
-If you want to include a friend, you have to play with 3 friends, no team spots can be filled by strangers.
-You cannot join a teammate’s room like in Turf War.
-Standard Turf War and Salmon Run matchmaking is disabled during SplatFest.

There is literally no way to play this game with my friend today because it’s an event. How did they possibly decide this was a good idea? I get that they don’t want teams to have smaller parties in them to be nice to the opposing team, but several other games don’t care and it turns out fine.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Rolo posted:

Cross posting from the switch thread, but please let me know if I’m wrong here and missing something. Me and a friend have the day off and wanted to play together and can’t.

You’re pretty much right. I’m fine with most of it but it’s extremely dumb that I can’t play Splatfest with just one friend and have it fill up the remaining spots with randoms.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
This shifty station has issues but "I can’t play it exactly like every other level" isn’t one of them.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Kaubocks posted:

this is a weird escalation for someone trying to break down why they didn't enjoy a thing but ok

They literally complained about being "trapped" on the other side of the station. You can always squid jump back to your base or another player when you are in a jam.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Rolo posted:

Its the most fair because even two people playing in sync can imbalance an 8 player game, easily.

Also Nintendo

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

LethalGeek posted:

Its the most fair because even two people playing in sync can imbalance an 8 player game, easily.

You can have a team of 4 friends in SplatFest. You can even have teams of smaller parties in league IF you’re ranked high enough. Your party abilities also change with the whims of a schedule. SplatFest shutting down team-joining outside of 4 people is dumb considering you can do it outside of SplatFest’s schedule.

Other games just match partied teams with other partied teams. “Balance issues” just feels like a lazy excuse to not have features.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Astro7x posted:

They literally complained about being "trapped" on the other side of the station. You can always squid jump back to your base or another player when you are in a jam.

i think either you misread what i said or are taking it too literally, but either way i will try to be more explicit about what i mean

i don't mean there is literally no way to go back the way you came. what i mean is once you go through that slow-turning revolving door, your choices are now either push forward or go back through the slow-moving revolving door. the reason why it's hard to retreat is because if you go through the door and it turns out, say, there's two people on the other side in superior positions (like the ledges above), you're boned. there's no "oh poo poo" moment and trying to hightail it out of there-- the way backwards is time consuming and limits your movement and the way forward is all enemy ink and fighting through stacked odds. the amount of time it would take to super jump to someone will leave you exposed to return fire.

the middle of the map actively hampers forward progress. if the giant wall weren't there you could use longer range weapons to secure safer passage for shorter range weapons to make it through, but as it is there is very little incentive to push through the meat grinder until you need to just take a chance in the last 30 seconds

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Rolo posted:

Other games just match partied teams with other partied teams. “Balance issues” just feels like a lazy excuse to not have features.

For what it’s worth, the only official Nintendo comment I’ve seen about the restrictions in multiplayer was something along the lines of "you may think you want it another way, but it makes the game worse". Which probably doesn’t make anyone feel better.

Kaubocks posted:

i think either you misread what i said or are taking it too literally, but either way i will try to be more explicit about what i mean

i don't mean there is literally no way to go back the way you came. what i mean is once you go through that slow-turning revolving door, your choices are now either push forward or go back through the slow-moving revolving door. the reason why it's hard to retreat is because if you go through the door and it turns out, say, there's two people on the other side in superior positions (like the ledges above), you're boned. there's no "oh poo poo" moment and trying to hightail it out of there-- the way backwards is time consuming and limits your movement and the way forward is all enemy ink and fighting through stacked odds. the amount of time it would take to super jump to someone will leave you exposed to return fire.

the middle of the map actively hampers forward progress. if the giant wall weren't there you could use longer range weapons to secure safer passage for shorter range weapons to make it through, but as it is there is very little incentive to push through the meat grinder until you need to just take a chance in the last 30 seconds

You can peek around/over the wall before you go barrelling in. If you see two squids on high ground just waiting for you, come back later or missile then or something.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It is weird that there's no Splatfest Duos but I also dont have any friends so its not an issue personally

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

pokeyman posted:

For what it’s worth, the only official Nintendo comment I’ve seen about the restrictions in multiplayer was something along the lines of "you may think you want it another way, but it makes the game worse". Which probably doesn’t make anyone feel better.

That wasn't an official statement, it was just a dude who worked at Nintendo letting it slip while talking about something else.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

pokeyman posted:

To be fair, I mostly play shooters alone and it usually is a much more pleasant experience in Splatoon. Playing against a full clan when you’re just with pubs that aren’t communicating sucks poo poo in other shooters.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Is the shifty station in the US the same as the one in the Eu? Because we got a clusterfuck of a map with an incredibly narrow corridor in the middle where both teams would repeatedly re-enact the charge of the light brigade. Step it up, Marina. :mad:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Execute Marina for her crimes against Inkling society.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

The Deleter posted:

Is the shifty station in the US the same as the one in the Eu? Because we got a clusterfuck of a map with an incredibly narrow corridor in the middle where both teams would repeatedly re-enact the charge of the light brigade. Step it up, Marina. :mad:

Err, I'm sure Europe got the one with ink rails.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Rexroom posted:

Err, I'm sure Europe got the one with ink rails.

Yeah, there were ink rails. They didn't really help.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I'm glad that I chose to be on Team Doesn't Give A poo poo About Winning, because we're really good at that.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Dr. Fetus posted:

Execute Marina for her crimes against Inkling society.

New Splatfest! Guillotine or Gallows?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
I'd like the new map if the revolving doors were inkable

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Improbable Lobster posted:

yeah. my favorite map in 1 was museum d'alfonsino

Punkreas
May 13, 2013

*chews on head*
Lipstick Apathy
Pairing up in a Splatfest should be a non-issue.

Two 2-player groups on each team, then add the wins to the "Team" counter at the end of the event. Problem solved unless they really think so few 2-player teams would queue to make the wait times ridiculous.

Edit: Holy carps, SA really wants me to spend money on a damned avatar. Low blow, SA, low blow.

Punkreas fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Oct 14, 2017

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

In Training posted:

yeah. my favorite map in 1 was museum d'alfonsino

museum was my favorite map until mahi-mahi resort came out but it's still a close second

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Improbable Lobster posted:

This would actually probably make the map a lot more bearable. The chokepoints are way too chokey. In my experience, the map has been either a complete stomp because one side pushed through early enough and stopped the enemy team from doing anything for the rest of the match, or stalemate central until the match is about to end.

Deltron 3030
Jul 23, 2006

I submit that you took that baseball, stashed it in your unusually large vagina, and walked right on out of here!
The Bubble Blower is a good special for Shifty Station, use it right when you're entering the enemy half to give you cover and if you pop the bubbles in someone's face you might get them

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I've been using this fest to try out the splattershot Pro a nd it's pretty awesome

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

1 hour until Tentacle Difficulties. :getin:

In Training posted:

I've been using this fest to try out the splattershot Pro a nd it's pretty awesome

Yeah, it's a great mid-range weapon. I personally consider Ink Saver Main a must for it since it does guzzle up ink pretty fast. Ink Resistance Up might also be helpful since it's not too great at inking feet, and you don't want to get too up in your opponents' faces with that weapon.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Send help

Edit: and again...noooo

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

It sure is awesome having 2 e-liter chargers on my team the past three games

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
The real problem with Shifty Station is that it further encourages the turf-war meta of "get pushed back to spawn until there's a minute left, then surge forward and win because the last second is the only thing that matters".
Stay on your side until there's no time left, then paint as much of the other side as possible - now with a clearly defined wall.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

This version of Shifty Station is basically Splatoon 2's 2fort

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
The difference is that 2fort is kinda fun to just bum around in, maybe practice Sniper or go on a spy mission.
Splatoon 2 is given a 3 minute time limit and you're playing for keeps.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Dr. VooDoo posted:

It sure is awesome having 2 e-liter chargers on my team the past three games

E-Liters are badass.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

:siren:TENTACLE DIFFICULTIES IS UP!:siren:

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

holy moly grizzco brella O_O

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

The Gorp posted:

"get pushed back to spawn until there's a minute left, then surge forward and win because the last second is the only thing that matters".

I hear this complaint about Splatoon in general a lot but wouldn't it be a bit dull if the match could be decided in the first quarter half?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Turf war is just not a competitive mode, but there are 3 competitive modes so it's fine that it exists.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
I sorta wish there was more Brella to the Grizzco Brella. It's sort of like the Grizzco Blaster without the satisfying critical hit sound every few milliseconds.

Like, it's still really amazing, but I wanted to shoot out giant umbrellas instantly or something.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

This weapon is a war crime.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Smiles posted:

holy moly grizzco brella O_O

I think it's kinda disappointing compared to the grizzco blaster since it's just a really fast full auto shotgun and it's missing the brella part of brellas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Finally made it to Queen and with a positive W/L phew. Come on pearl! We can do it again!