Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Prester Jane posted:

Okay you are correct Uranium, your assertion that the Chinese ban is temporary is not based on wishful thinking, it is instead based on literally nothing at all.
a rhetorical flourish! how did you know, my only weakness? *implodes into a crinkled up ball of empty skin*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
so how do i cash out my 2.13 bitcoins without having to buy drugs or let the app access my browsing history?

into real money? like even bolivars or worse.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Uranium 235 posted:

a rhetorical flourish! how did you know, my only weakness? *implodes into a crinkled up ball of empty skin*

The counter is easy here: just post a single bit of mainstream news or analysis that suggests the ban is temporary. Your entire defense here is based on being pedantic over the my usage of the phrase "wishful thinking" to indicate that your assertions are backed by no substance. All you gotta do to prove me wrong is demonstrate that your assertions are based in some sort of substance.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Lime Tonics posted:

so how do i cash out my 2.13 bitcoins without having to buy drugs or let the app access my browsing history?

get verified on an exchange that supports fiat withdrawals (coinbase or gemini if you're in the US, not sure what to use for other countries), verify your bank account with that exchange, transfer the bitcoins to the exchange, then wire or ACH the money to your bank account

the verification takes the longest, but for me, it was less than a week on gemini and less than a day for coinbase.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Uranium 235 posted:

get verified on an exchange that supports fiat withdrawals (coinbase or gemini if you're in the US, not sure what to use for other countries), verify your bank account with that exchange, transfer the bitcoins to the exchange, then wire or ACH the money to your bank account

the verification takes the longest, but for me, it was less than a week on gemini and less than a day for coinbase.

i see, so in order to get money, i have to give them all my account details and creds.

seems on the up and up.

also, the bitcoins were a joke, the 2.13 were mined using a p2733 and a 4200ti geforce in the span of 6ish years?

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Prester Jane posted:

The counter is easy here: just post a single bit of mainstream news or analysis that suggests the ban is temporary. Your entire defense here is based on being pedantic over the my usage of the phrase "wishful thinking" to indicate that your assertions are backed by no substance. All you gotta do to prove me wrong is demonstrate that your assertions are based in some sort of substance.
wow you're trying really hard to goad me into this argument but... nah

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Lime Tonics posted:

i see, so in order to get money, i have to give them all my account details and creds.

seems on the up and up.

also, the bitcoins were a joke, the 2.13 were mined using a p2733 and a 4200ti geforce in the span of 6ish years?
they have to have that information to comply with the applicable laws and regulations in the jurisdictions where they're licensed to operate

"know your customer" is anti-money laundering compliance 101

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
Its really weird how all the pro-bitcoiners react the exact same way when you press them for specifics to back up their assertions......

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Prester Jane posted:

Its really weird how all the pro-bitcoiners react the exact same way when you press them for specifics to back up their assertions......
i'm not even pro-bitcoin. i have no idea if it will be successful long term and don't really care. i do think that blockchain technology will find some measure of success eventually

i like the crypto space from the perspective of a trader because it's an emerging space with a lot of volatility and potential for rapid growth, much like the marijuana sector in the stock market. it's high risk and high reward, and since i'm young, i'm comfortable with using a small part of my investment portfolio to trade it

bitcoin is important in the sense that it dominates the crypto market and the values of so many crypto assets correlate to bitcoin, so i have to pay attention to it. but i trade it somewhat cynically

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
hmm yes it seems fine to give my bank account number, phone number, name and address to a company based in the Philippines. A bank under us sanctions even.

seems legit to me.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Uranium 235 posted:

i'm not even pro-bitcoin. i have no idea if it will be successful long term and don't really care. i do think that blockchain technology will find some measure of success eventually

i like the crypto space from the perspective of a trader because it's an emerging space with a lot of volatility and potential for rapid growth, much like the marijuana sector in the stock market. it's high risk and high reward, and since i'm young, i'm comfortable with using a small part of my investment portfolio to trade it

bitcoin is important in the sense that it dominates the crypto market and the values of so many crypto assets correlate to bitcoin, so i have to pay attention to it. but i trade it somewhat cynically

Not a word of that has anything to do with why you think the Chinese ban is temporary. Its just self fellatio.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Prester Jane posted:

Not a word of that has anything to do with why you think the Chinese ban is temporary. Its just self fellatio.

Ah but if you could self fellate, wouldn't you?

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Lime Tonics posted:

hmm yes it seems fine to give my bank account number, phone number, name and address to a company based in the Philippines. A bank under us sanctions even.

seems legit to me.
coinbase is based in san francisco and gemini is based in nyc, so not sure what you're talking about

coinbase uses metropolitan commercial bank for segregating their customer's funds and it's definitely not under sanctions

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Prester Jane posted:

yes, that was a reply to you calling me pro-bitcoiner

don't kink shame me

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Uranium 235 posted:

coinbase is based in san francisco and gemini is based in nyc, so not sure what you're talking about

coinbase uses metropolitan commercial bank for segregating their customer's funds and it's definitely not under sanctions

I want to share information about my account in Coinbase, I have more than 700 BTC which I could not pull the funds are there, already more than one month I did not get an answer from the support, all answered by robots each email reply, my account position is currently frozen condition, I could only see the contents of the balance but could not do transactions, I've been thinking if this continues without the news this week, I will report the company's coin base to the FBI, CIA, USA investigation for committing fraud 700 BTC to me.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Lime Tonics posted:

I want to share information about my account in Coinbase, I have more than 700 BTC which I could not pull the funds are there, already more than one month I did not get an answer from the support, all answered by robots each email reply, my account position is currently frozen condition, I could only see the contents of the balance but could not do transactions, I've been thinking if this continues without the news this week, I will report the company's coin base to the FBI, CIA, USA investigation for committing fraud 700 BTC to me.
luv 2 report fraud to the CIA

this copy paste is a very serious and troubling anecdote

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Uranium 235 posted:

luv 2 report fraud to the CIA

this copy paste is a very serious and troubling anecdote

it took you 2 minutes to find it, what other sites you operate?

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Lime Tonics posted:

it took you 2 minutes to find it, what other sites you operate?
goatse.cx

i didn't know until just now when i went to that URL that it's now a website for an goatse-themed ICO, which is pretty funny given this conversation...

seriously, i'm not trying to goatse you

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

this is super dumb

quote:

The internet has changed greatly since Goatse became world famous in 2004. Meme generation has now come to rely almost exclusively on a small number of social media platforms serving as both the meme incubator and the meme distribution channel. Although the volume of memetic content being produced has grown, truly dank memes are becoming increasingly rare. Tens of millions of people have been exposed to the Goatse concept in one form or another. Goatse has brought people together from all over the world and is now ideally positioned to disrupt online meme generation.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

i wish i made this up

quote:

The Goatse White Paper provides an overview of the Goatse peer to peer meme generator and introduces such features as the Goatse Cloud™ and Goatse Stretch™. Read the Goatse White Paper by Goatse Nakamoto.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Uranium 235 posted:

i wish i made this up

hey man i get it, you like bitvoin youre melting down a bit though

not everyone is enthusiorgasmed by it tohu

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
slow your roll is what im saying

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
im listening to a death chant from a song

its fine because its fine

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Lime Tonics posted:

hey man i get it, you like bitvoin youre melting down a bit though

not everyone is enthusiorgasmed by it tohu
i think you're trying too hard lime tonics

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Uranium 235 posted:

i think you're trying too hard lime tonics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdvnJZsCzzY

edit: wrong link omgosh

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

i think our poo poo posting made prester jane go away

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Uranium 235 posted:

i think our poo poo posting made prester jane go away

so fix it

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

the china ban is temporary

the china ban is temporary

THE CHINA BAN IS TEMPORARY

*blows out candle*

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
i totally fell for it this time :argh:

gary oldmans diary fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Oct 15, 2017

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
from that thread

Mercury_Storms post right after is really good too

gary oldmans diary fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Oct 15, 2017

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS

Lime Tonics posted:

Someone posted a picture of a bitcoin ATM on page 55 of this thread. The obvious solution is to locate the closest one to you, press the cash withdrawal button, enter the details of your wallet and voila, the machine converts at the current exchange rate and spits out cash. Truly easy.

Or maybe it's not that easy because unlike a regular ATM that does these operations routinely and under a minute from card in to cash out, these bitcoin machines require extensive proof of your identity, and take half an hour or more to confirm the transaction because the blockchain stuff is a clunky mess, if they're able to spit cash out at all. If there's no cash in the machine, you're not getting blood from that stone.

So, which is it more likely to be?

iceaim
May 20, 2001

Lime Tonics posted:

seems legit to me.

Counterpoint: You gave your credit card number to Something Awful. And there are bitcoin exchangers in the USA, UK, etc. I used a UK based one. I didn't have to give them my bank account number either since they accept SWIFT based wire transfers.

However regarding the China bitcoin exchanger ban. I personally think it will be permanent and it's just China being China, and I doubt it'll be effective. China is a country with capital controls. This is the norm for them. They don't want capital outflows because it can tank their fragile economy.

In Hong Kong however bitcoin and exchangers are still legal. Hong Kong has its own currency and economic system and doesn't have currency controls.

Also Coinbase is garbage. I don't disagree that there's really badly run exchangers. I use cubits which is always very fast.

iceaim fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Oct 15, 2017

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Is the counterpoint that you have autism?

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

iceaim posted:

Counterpoint: You gave your credit card number to Something Awful
somethingawful doesnt store your credit card number at all. it uses a 1-time method for the transaction. thats why you have to put it in for any purchase
other online merchants that do store credit card info store the hash of your credit card + the site name. which means the credit card company can verify it but no one at the online merchant where you made your purchase can look up your credit card number from a database

now if you have a time machine you can go back to the late 90s and begin to buy things online with more confidence

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Uranium 235 posted:

thank you for making my point for me

you'd already demonstrated you were an idiot by posting ernestly about investing in butts

i actually can't figure out what your disconnect is there, the best explanation seems to be that your brain is doing a ham sandwitch and cannot distinguish between the idea that some chinese want to evade currency controls, and ALL chinese want to evade currency controls. there's also a little bit of failing to understand that it's about much more than hedging against the value of the yuan but that's an advanced topic compared to "your thirty chinese friends, if they exist, are not a representative sample of all chinese"

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

gary oldmans diary posted:

other online merchants that do store credit card info store the hash of your credit card + the site name. which means the credit card company can verify it but no one at the online merchant where you made your purchase can look up your credit card number from a database

Well, that's what is supposed to happen anyway.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

COMRADES posted:

Well, that's what is supposed to happen anyway.

credit card companies are getting better at making them verify they do it right. a lot of the giant CC hacks are now from compromising point of sale terminals at irl stores.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
irl is the worst

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
lmao at all these autistic goons still shouting "TULIP BULBS!!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

evilweasel posted:

you'd already demonstrated you were an idiot by posting ernestly about investing in butts
i don't think taking a calculated risk with <5% of my overall investment portfolio makes me an idiot. it makes me aggressive and willing to take risks for the potential of greater returns. for some reason you're unable to understand this, or unwilling to acknowledge that people have different risk tolerances, and that people who have different tolerances and strategies from yours can be perfectly reasonable with proper risk management.

it's perfectly fine if you're unwilling to take risks like this. it's not for everyone. but buying crypto assets can be part of a perfectly sound overall investment strategy

quote:

i actually can't figure out what your disconnect is there, the best explanation seems to be that your brain is doing a ham sandwitch and cannot distinguish between the idea that some chinese want to evade currency controls, and ALL chinese want to evade currency controls. there's also a little bit of failing to understand that it's about much more than hedging against the value of the yuan but that's an advanced topic compared to "your thirty chinese friends, if they exist, are not a representative sample of all chinese"
that's what i'm saying. i was responding to the assumption that the only thing chinese miners want to do is get USD, which i think is false. it seems we're in agreement that chinese people want different things and that the financial behavior of chinese people is actually *gasp* complicated

Uranium 235 fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Oct 15, 2017

• Locked thread