Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Al Borland Corp. posted:

It's discussion of how his species adapted to their environment, which plays out in how Mercer and Malloy defeat the Krill.

:yeah:

I liked that it was very Trek to have a thematically relevant "the crew, just doing stuff" cold-open.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah, it's that we see Bortus eat glass and ceramics without harm, an act which would kill a human without prompt medical attention. Mercer and the pilot whose name I can't remember do much the same thing. They turn on bright UV lights, a hazard which is lethal to the aliens but only inconvenient to humans.

At the very least you have to see that the show is setting up this idea from the very beginning. It's a nice bit of writing to be able to turn a visual gag into a thematic through-line.

Whichever engineer was responsible for Designing the lighting system on that Krill ship is going to be in big trouble. Whatever reason prompted them to use a light source capable of putting out lethal radiation is going to look a lot less important in light of recent events.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Oct 15, 2017

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I just rewatched the ‘open hail. This is captain Ed merc-‘ ‘hang on, I haven’t done it yet’ bit, and I forgot how good a bit it is. It’s a nice little riff on Trek’s impossibly fast communications.

(Personally I always hated the ‘hail them, mr worf’ <literally one second passes> ‘no response captain’ thing. Give them time to acknowledge, guys! The comms console might be across the room, and they’ve got to get over there! God, you impatient pricks...)

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

The_Doctor posted:

I just rewatched the ‘open hail. This is captain Ed merc-‘ ‘hang on, I haven’t done it yet’ bit, and I forgot how good a bit it is. It’s a nice little riff on Trek’s impossibly fast communications.

"What about the automatic fire suppression systems?"
"That's the console that's on fire!"

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

The_Doctor posted:

(Personally I always hated the ‘hail them, mr worf’ <literally one second passes> ‘no response captain’ thing. Give them time to acknowledge, guys! The comms console might be across the room, and they’ve got to get over there! God, you impatient pricks...)

They always hail when I'm in the can.

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

Last episode Isaac learned about pranks. This episode he's in on the "Eat my weapon" gag, having designed the holo-emitters.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

Mercer and the pilot whose name I can't remember

Oh you mean Devan?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Caufman posted:

Oh you mean Devan?

It was totally spelled Devyn.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Snak posted:

I assume this is a joke, but sabotaging an HVAC to distribute freon gas could incapacitate people, but it would be impossible to accurately control the density of freon gas being dispersed.

It's taking something ridiculous seriously (for fun).

Also, you don't need to control dose beyond, "a lot." This is especially true if the thing's also on fire.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

I like how Bortus comes across as super serious but is actually a fun guy who likes to dick around with the crew. He just does't emote like everyone else.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Watching the most recent episode and my wife said “man, I wish I was part of that crew.” The lady is easily the least nerdy person I know, but despite it all she is right on board with this show and is eagerly looking forward to new episodes. I can’t help but think that MacFarlane and friends must be doing something right. Shame the ratings don’t reflect that :/.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Mooseontheloose posted:

I like how Bortus comes across as super serious but is actually a fun guy who likes to dick around with the crew. He just does't emote like everyone else.

"What about strip clubs?"
"Bortus, you don't have to answer that."
"...there are no strip clubs."

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I finally got around to watching this episode and I am in love. I'm getting optimistic SciFi. I'm getting tense situations. I'm getting really funny jokes(I had to pause when he yelled 'That is a new leg!' because I was laughing so hard). And best of all, I got just a bit of dark mixed in for shock value.

I hope this show gets seven years and they flush Discovery at the end of the season.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

swickles posted:

It was totally spelled Devyn.

That's the krill spelling.

edit: re-watching the episode, I'm finding more depth in the krill. Unlike ISIS terrorists or the commanders of the Republic of Gilead, believers in Avis are not hypocritical about their beliefs. This explains why they're so polite and trusting with one another: they take their kinship seriously.

But for one fundamental erroneous interpretation, krill society would compliment the rest of the Union. The current regime mistakenly believes that when Avis said all krill are brothers, he only meant the sapient creation made on their homeworld. In truth, the same forces of the universe made the humans and the krill alike. They are brothers in one cosmos.

Caufman fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Oct 15, 2017

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Hulu subtitles says Devon.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Strange spelling for a Krill name.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Caufman posted:

That's the krill spelling.

edit: re-watching the episode, I'm finding more depth in the krill. Unlike ISIS terrorists or the commanders of the Republic of Gilead, believers in Avis are not hypocritical about their beliefs. This explains why they're so polite and trusting with one another: they take their kinship seriously.

But for one fundamental erroneous interpretation, krill society would compliment the rest of the Union. The current regime mistakenly believes that when Avis said all krill are brothers, he only meant the sapient creation made on their homeworld. In truth, the same forces of the universe made the humans and the krill alike. They are brothers in one cosmos.

Assuming the show goes long enough I'm sure we'll see Krill heretics who preach exactly that someday

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'd be great if they went full Minbari, amd it waa revealled that not all Krill are like the ones we've seen, but their Warrior Caste is currently dominating the political landscape.

Porpoise With A Purpose
Feb 28, 2006

I joined a Facebook group for this show and apparently the moral of this episode was that muslims are evil and can't be reasoned with.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
If you're looking for that message I can see how you'd get it but uh you have to really want it

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Porpoise With A Purpose posted:

I joined a Facebook group for this show and apparently the moral of this episode was that muslims are evil and can't be reasoned with.

Well that's... a nuanced... vi... eww.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

I got that indoctrination can be subverted through exposure to other cultures... if you're lucky. Hate is learned.

Porpoise With A Purpose
Feb 28, 2006

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

I got that indoctrination can be subverted through exposure to other cultures... if you're lucky. Hate is learned.

Pretty sure that's the actual moral but Facebook is a cesspool of right wing nutjobs.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
What do you wanna bet their entire argument for why the Krill are supposed to represent Muslims still works perfectly if you replace Islam with Christianity

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

cheetah7071 posted:

What do you wanna bet their entire argument for why the Krill are supposed to represent Muslims still works perfectly if you replace Islam with Christianity

Given MacFarlane's background, I took it as a general commentary on religion. He's not quiet on his views on organized religion. He did have a joke in Family Guy where a timeline where Christianity didn't exist resulted in a hyper technologically advanced civilization that could cure AIDS with a single pill.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Yeah it's pretty easy to read the episode as pro-atheism and I wouldn't fault anybody for thinking that was one of the primary messages. Singling out a specific religion doesn't match the show's message in the slightest though

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Zoro posted:

Given MacFarlane's background, I took it as a general commentary on religion. He's not quiet on his views on organized religion. He did have a joke in Family Guy where a timeline where Christianity didn't exist resulted in a hyper technologically advanced civilization that could cure AIDS with a single pill.

It was pretty obvious. There's even a line in the show along the lines of "as a species becomes more advanced, they get rid of religion."

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
People are mad the sci-fi shows aren't god fearing?

Shocker.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Rocksicles posted:

People are mad the sci-fi shows aren't god fearing?

Shocker.
I don't think so. I don't think the types of people in that guy's facebook group are capable of enough self reflection to realize the show was calling them lovely too. They see lovely Krill bad guys in the show and happily leap to the conclusion that they're a reference to the "real" lovely bad guys: Muslims. A happy conclusion reached, logical inferences end, and their worldview remains unthreatened.

This could be the most overtly pro-athiest show in the world (and that's probably what it's going for) and they'd remain happily oblivious to it if they liked what they thought it was saying.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Zoro posted:

Not only that, but there's that episode where Peter befriends a Muslim, and Peter's family suspects that he's a terrorist. Most sitcoms would have it turn out that he isn't, and at the end they all hold hold hands, but this is Family Guy, so guess what, he IS a terrorist.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

Assuming the show goes long enough I'm sure we'll see Krill heretics who preach exactly that someday

But will those heretics win or lose in the long run?

The answer is win.

Caufman fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Oct 15, 2017

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

A couple folks posted about their worry that the show is getting poor ratings, which is hanging around an average 1.1 but seeing bigger ratings outside the typical 18-49 demographic. Although I mentioned before that Cancelbear (whoever the gently caress they are) analyzed that the show won't be canceled, take it from Seth's own mouth.
http://screenrant.com/the-orville-season-2-likely-seth-macfarlane/
He really expects a renewal to happen and I'll gladly take him at his word on this one, considering he's been successfully hobnobbing the business for over a decade.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

The_Doctor posted:

Headcanon time! I think that there's some automatic response protocol that acknowledges the hail even if no-ones available or wants to talk, so turning that off is a sign of hostility or distress. So when Worf says "no response", he means that that protocol isn't working for whatever reason.

What a surprise :rolleyes:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Headcanon time! I think that there's some automatic response protocol that acknowledges the hail even if no-ones available or wants to talk, so turning that off is a sign of hostility or distress. So when Worf says "no response", he means that that protocol isn't working for whatever reason.

Right. A "fast busy" versus "it's still ringing".

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Mooseontheloose posted:

I’ve found he’s very Captain Holt (Brooklyn 99) and I’m perfectly ok with that.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I am going to go out on a limb here and say it might be harder to reason with the crew of a military ship designated for testing weapons on civilians than it is , say, civilians themselves. Or in other words the kids as shown in the actual episode.

To use the analogy these guys are going with it would be like trying to argue with ISIS military members while they are busy bombing population centers.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Beachcomber posted:

Another thing under the radar: they can replicate life.

Is vitalism making a comeback?

Why would "replicating life" be surprising?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Shbobdb posted:

Star Trek replicators can't. If you replicate a potato, you can't make it grow in a glass with some toothpicks.

How many episodes until they have to face a godlike being? I'm hoping it's the flying spaghetti monster or the invisible pink unicorn.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Shbobdb posted:

It's a lot harder to build a plane midair than on the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Lol, yeah, that's always funny. It's like those people that always see dicks in every Rorschach ink blot.

Personally, I got the exact opposite message. If you dehumanize other people hard enough you can justify any action against them. Someone who wouldn't deny help to a drowning person has no problem with "reducing the average yearly number of refugees". You start portraying human beings as "Muslim cultural invaders" and suddenly the use of violence against a human being is no longer unthinkable. Guess I'm the guy that is always seeing asses in every ink blot. :shrug:

The Krill themselves are not really a problem. They got that way through isolation and indoctrination, something you can cure with education& deprogramming. On the other hand, our lovely human nature is incurable and eternal.

GABA ghoul fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Oct 15, 2017