Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Malcolm XML posted:

Show us the circuit

It’s an LED strip that is powered off a USB port. I want to turn the +5V line off when I give a zwave command. I’m not sure what there is to draw, sorry. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Subjunctive posted:

On the Pi, is there a way to control whether a USB port is powered or not? I'd like to use one to turn on/off a device that is just powered by USB. Maybe an Arduino would be better, but I think it'll be easier to do the zwave stuff from a Pi.
I've used this for one client.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

That’s interesting! I’ll look into that, thank you.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Double post, but:

Is there a way to get a second USB bus onto a Pi of any flavour? I'm not sure if there's enough bandwidth through GPIO to drive that, though I only need low speed. Googling only gets me information about adding ports to the existing controller, though I might be missing a keyword.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Subjunctive posted:

Is there a way to get a second USB bus onto a Pi of any flavour? I'm not sure if there's enough bandwidth through GPIO to drive that, though I only need low speed. Googling only gets me information about adding ports to the existing controller, though I might be missing a keyword.

It should be possible to run one of these https://www.maximintegrated.com/en/products/interface/controllers-expanders/MAX3421E.html on the SPI bus. There does appear to be support for that chip in the Linux kernel.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

wolrah posted:

It should be possible to run one of these https://www.maximintegrated.com/en/products/interface/controllers-expanders/MAX3421E.html on the SPI bus. There does appear to be support for that chip in the Linux kernel.

Interesting, I’ll see if I can find something with one of those on board.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
I'm looking to get a Pi to use as a headless file server. Is this going to do me fine, or is there another option that's better/cheaper? I already have a USB SSD to plug in.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

FredMSloniker posted:

I'm looking to get a Pi to use as a headless file server. Is this going to do me fine, or is there another option that's better/cheaper? I already have a USB SSD to plug in.

That should work fine but bear in mind that the Pi is USB 2.0 so it's not going to be very fast. The SSD is probably overkill since it usually won't saturate the write speed of a mechanical disk.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

FredMSloniker posted:

It is basically what I have.
Works fine with Kodi, minidlna and my Telldus center all plus as a network Samba share.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Subjunctive posted:

It’s an LED strip that is powered off a USB port. I want to turn the +5V line off when I give a zwave command. I’m not sure what there is to draw, sorry. :(

Is the USB port connected to mains or something else? If it's mains, just use a zwave switched plug thing. If it's a port, you will need to be able to shut off the port power which can be done by making an "interposer" type board with a bistable latching relay on the power pins of USB. You will need some way of getting zwave to toggle the relay states

(Aren't you an engineering manager? How do you debug without code? ;))

Malcolm XML fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Oct 15, 2017

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Malcolm XML posted:

Is the USB port connected to mains or something else? If it's mains, just use a zwave switched plug thing. If it's a port, you will need to be able to shut off the port power which can be done by making an "interposer" type board with a bistable latching relay on the power pins of USB. You will need some way of getting zwave to toggle the relay states

(Aren't you an engineering manager? How do you debug without code? ;))

I’m a VC now, I’m not even allowed to read code.

I may be able to make it work with a switched plug. I was hoping to have it automatically go on and off related to the TV and room lighting states. I may be able to program that into my zwave hub thing, I’ll have to look. Otherwise I’ll look into the relay option with a USB zwave dongle.

Thank you!

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Subjunctive posted:

I’m a VC now, I’m not even allowed to read code.

I may be able to make it work with a switched plug. I was hoping to have it automatically go on and off related to the TV and room lighting states. I may be able to program that into my zwave hub thing, I’ll have to look. Otherwise I’ll look into the relay option with a USB zwave dongle.

Thank you!

If you’re getting deep into z-wave, consider Home Assistant on a Pi. It’s got support for tons of APIs, great automation and good z-wave support. The only downside is a json and yaml learning curve.

Since you wanted to minimize buying new stuff, one of the cool tricks HA can do on a Pi is controlling $5 Etekcity plug switches with a $3 433mhz gpio module. I still use z-wave for critical jobs, and there’s no state reporting, but it work really well for dumb little things like LED strips behind my TV.

(RX for initially sniffing codes on the right, TX on the left, cheap zwave stick out of frame)

https://home-assistant.io/components/switch.rpi_rf/

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Oct 15, 2017

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Oh yeah, I’ve heard about HA. I bought this Pi originally to control my electric fireplace via zwave, and I have 433MHz rx/tx widgets for that. I can probably do that part with Arduino though, if I get WiFi on it.

This has given me a lot to think about!

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Rexxed posted:

That should work fine but bear in mind that the Pi is USB 2.0 so it's not going to be very fast. The SSD is probably overkill since it usually won't saturate the write speed of a mechanical disk.

I already have the SSD from another project, so it's free. It's not very big, though. Anyone have a cheap recommendation for when I trade up? A terabyte is probably overkill, but I get the impression that's the low end these days.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

FredMSloniker posted:

I already have the SSD from another project, so it's free. It's not very big, though. Anyone have a cheap recommendation for when I trade up? A terabyte is probably overkill, but I get the impression that's the low end these days.

What are you actually trying to do? If you're just hosting a bunch of media to be streamed, a low-speed high capacity regular hard drive in an enclosure or as a pre-packaged external hard drive will do just fine. However it probably won't be able to run direct off the Pi's power supply as an SSD in an enclosure or premade external drive will.

You can get a 4 terabyte Seagate external drive for $100 these days, or if you want something that's portable you can get Toshiba 3 terabyte portable drives for the same $100 (though keep in mind, your Pi may not be able to handle such drives' power needs without a powered hub).

1 terabyte SSDs on the other hand are still $250-$300 on their own, and a Pi will absolutely not make use of their benefits.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
I've got my pi3 not doing anything in particular at the moment, but had an idea to see if I could use it as a synthesizer or to turn say, an arcade stick into a drum pad or midi controller or something similar. Anyone have any suggestions on where to look into software for that sort of thing?

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
Arrow Electronics has Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Project Board on sale for $34.99 - $7 w/ promotional code DEVBOARDS = $27.99. Shipping is free.

Link - https://www.arrow.com/en/products/raspberrypi3/raspberry-pi-foundation

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."

Good that they cleared that one up

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
Yeah, but it gets better. Did you click the little "i"?

quote:

Linux describes if the device supports Linux operating system or not and its supported versions

:haw:

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I want to do a mobile display setup, is it feasible to set up a pi as a wifi hotspot (with no actual internet connection) and then have say, an iPad VNC into the pi?

ickna
May 19, 2004

Sockser posted:

I want to do a mobile display setup, is it feasible to set up a pi as a wifi hotspot (with no actual internet connection) and then have say, an iPad VNC into the pi?

Yup, you're looking for hostapd. I don't suggest using the internal wifi on the Pi 3 though, I ended up using a USB stick that allowed me to connect an external antenna like this one. Make sure whatever hardware you decide to go with supports hostapd and AP mode, though. This list is a little outdated now but should put you in the right direction.

I used to do this very frequently on one of my touring gigs for synchronous data display. I set it up as a wifi AP using hostapd and had multiple view-only connections from iPads to duplicate the HDMI output without issue. As a bonus, you can use the internal wifi to connect to another AP with internet, or use the wired ethernet and route internet requests from your hostapd AP. I did this a lot too so we only had to enter a venue's wifi credentials once into the pi and everybody would get internet access without hassle.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

So this may be a shot in the dark, but maybe there's some intersect between Raspberry Pi goons and goons who also happen to know a thing or two about audio.

For awhile now I've been wanting to use the spare RPi2 that I have lying around to build an internet radio box. My requirements are:
  • Power the Pi, two speakers, and an LCD display with buttons using a single power supply.
  • Be able to be built into a single enclosure -- either by buying components and making one myself out of birchwood or something, or repurposing an old commercial radio.
  • Be wireless (thereby requiring me to get a little wifi USB dongle for the Pi2)
  • Be operated via the LCD display and a few physical buttons. The idea here is that I'll put a list of .pls links to my favorite internet radio stations into a text file on the SD Card, and then I can use the physical buttons to rotate through them as preset stations. The current station would be displayed on the top line, and the current track (if provided by the .pls) would scroll on the second line. Up/down would then control volume (a dial would be rad for this but I have zero idea how that would work)
  • Be something that isn't fuckoff huge and that will fit well on a kitchen shelf.
  • Have good sound.
  • Have a power switch for safe startup/shutdown.

The last time I researched this, it seemed like that HiFiBerry Amp+ would come close to giving me what I wanted easily -- except the sound quality wouldn't be wonderful, and powering an LCD display from the same power supply would be tricky. Then I saw that HiFiBerry recently released the Amp2, which seems like it would make the job easier. Since the Amp2 has GPIO pins and more power than the Amp+, I should be able to hook the Adafruit display up to it with no issues, so long as I use a beefy enough power supply, right? Everything (including the Pi) gets powered directly through the Amp2.

After that, I assume it's just a matter of finding some passive speakers. There are tons of tiny, cheapass speakers out there, but I want something with a little bit more quality. So I've been looking at finding cheap used speakers on eBay. Will there be an issue with the lack of magnetic shielding once I put everything in the same case (and if so, how can I ameliorate this?) Or if I repurpose an old commercial radio from a thrift shop, I should just be able to plug the speakers directly into the HiFiBerry Amp2, right?

Drone fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Oct 23, 2017

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

ickna posted:

Yup, you're looking for hostapd. I don't suggest using the internal wifi on the Pi 3 though, I ended up using a USB stick that allowed me to connect an external antenna like this one. Make sure whatever hardware you decide to go with supports hostapd and AP mode, though. This list is a little outdated now but should put you in the right direction.

I used to do this very frequently on one of my touring gigs for synchronous data display. I set it up as a wifi AP using hostapd and had multiple view-only connections from iPads to duplicate the HDMI output without issue. As a bonus, you can use the internal wifi to connect to another AP with internet, or use the wired ethernet and route internet requests from your hostapd AP. I did this a lot too so we only had to enter a venue's wifi credentials once into the pi and everybody would get internet access without hassle.

So I’m hopefully gonna get into this tonight, but my idea is to build a giant working gameboy as my Halloween costume, and by giant I mean a measly 1ftx2ft gameboy that I can wear as a sandwich board.

I’m going to make some lo-fi buttons that I can stick to the front with some copper tape and upholstery foam, run their wires to an Arduino/teensy that I can map to keyboard controls and plug into a Pi zero as a usb keyboard

And then I should be able to VNC into desktop:0 from the iPad stuck to my chest and open a gameboy emulator and let people play Tetris on my body all night I think?

Am I going to hit super dumb latency problems or issues with using a keyboard connected directly to the Pi over VNC or anything? VNC is super outside what I normally work with.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Why are you involving a Pi Zero in this at all? The iPad supports USB keyboards natively and would likely be much better at running emulators than a Pi Zero forwarding frames over WiFi. Also the Pi internal wifi is CPU heavy to the point that running a webcam on a 0W can interfere with its ability to feed instructions to a 3D printer. That's pretty bad.

Just do the Teensy-based input device direct to the tablet.

ickna
May 19, 2004

Sockser posted:

Am I going to hit super dumb latency problems or issues with using a keyboard connected directly to the Pi over VNC or anything? VNC is super outside what I normally work with.

Yeah I would just do the game on the ipad. A Pi Zero won’t have the chops to keep up with all you’re asking of it here.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah actually this is a trash iPad 1 that my mom was gonna sell for $20 on craigslist so I may as well jailbreak it and run emulators on it directly

E: it is the nature of an owner of a pile of raspis to want to put them in every project, I guess v:v:v

Sockser fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Oct 23, 2017

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Turns out hooking an arduino to a 30 pin Apple dock connector is a nigh impossible task. Would not recommend.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post

It's not exactly what you talked about but I wanted to find a similar internet-radio solution, found everything way too much work/effort and just got one of the huge pile of chinese bluetooth speakers for like, 5 bucks I think. They sound nicer/louder than one would ever assume. Also the bluetooth range is kinda impressive. Not exactly for listening to your collection of .flacs, but for some internet radio it's more than good enough. I don't use a Pi with this, just my regular old computer.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

An old smartphone paired with one a them bluetooth speakers works pretty good as well. You don't even need a special app, just find the stream URL and it should play just dandy.

Kodilynn
Sep 29, 2006
Quick question, on the Pi Zero I have seen it done where a jumper wire between PP20 to Pin 2 of the Pi Zero GPIO Header will carry 5V from the HDMI Connector to the rest of the Pi Zero thus eliminating the need for a separate power cable.

Can this be done to the Pi 3 as well? With the pizero it seems to power it just fine so wasn't sure if that'd still apply before I go attempting it.

Forgot the rest of this initially.

Also using this for the adapter power with this minor solder for the zero.

Kodilynn fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Oct 29, 2017

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Kodilynn posted:

Can this be done to the Pi 3 as well? With the pizero it seems to power it just fine so wasn't sure if that'd still apply before I go attempting it.

I don't see a reason why that shouldn't work assuming your USB power source can handle the Pi 3's demand and the loss in the HDMI cable, but I am curious why you'd want to power a Pi 3 over HDMI with a weird standards-breaking adapter like that.

The Zero pictured makes sense since it's being used inside a game controller where having a single cable exiting the center is important for a reasonable feel. Doing non-standard things to achieve that is a reasonable tradeoff, but I'm having a harder time coming up with where that would be necessary with a larger device.

I'm tired of finding homebrew power-over-ethernet solutions when I work on networks so I'm kind of over just passively injecting power where it isn't expected to be as a general rule. Solutions like 802.3af and MHL which intelligently inject power only when the device at the far end actually asks for it are the correct answer.

Kodilynn
Sep 29, 2006

wolrah posted:

I don't see a reason why that shouldn't work assuming your USB power source can handle the Pi 3's demand and the loss in the HDMI cable, but I am curious why you'd want to power a Pi 3 over HDMI with a weird standards-breaking adapter like that.

The Zero pictured makes sense since it's being used inside a game controller where having a single cable exiting the center is important for a reasonable feel. Doing non-standard things to achieve that is a reasonable tradeoff, but I'm having a harder time coming up with where that would be necessary with a larger device.

I'm tired of finding homebrew power-over-ethernet solutions when I work on networks so I'm kind of over just passively injecting power where it isn't expected to be as a general rule. Solutions like 802.3af and MHL which intelligently inject power only when the device at the far end actually asks for it are the correct answer.

Honestly it's just to cut down the number of cables. I'm putting a pi3 in an SNES Advantage I got for free that works, and the less cables I have running out of it the better for aesthetics. I suppose it doesn't matter, but routing everything through the plug and routing an HDMI cable through it instead just seemed appealing to not have a whole bunch of extra cables to worry about plugging in. I've done a pi zero in an snes controller with the same process and that worked great. Was nice not to have to worry about an extra power supply, but I want to go bigger with the pi3 without sacrificing the clean look and need to run an extension cable when 6ft. power cord isn't enough.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Do you mean MHL? I thought the HDMI pin 18 power went from source to sink, and only 50mA at that.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Yeah MHL means HDMI ports that can supply power roughly equivalent to a common USB 2.0 port's output - if I remember right it usually stops at 5 volt/1 amp.

That wouldn't really be enough power for a Pi 3 though, you'd be better off just building a custom cable that carries a normal HDMI cable and a separate USB cable running to a high-output power adapter You wouldn't even need to like cut up existing cable for that, there are often long lengths of slit open cable that you can stuff the two things into and through into the case on one end and to split out to the respective sockets on the other.

Kodilynn
Sep 29, 2006

fishmech posted:

Yeah MHL means HDMI ports that can supply power roughly equivalent to a common USB 2.0 port's output - if I remember right it usually stops at 5 volt/1 amp.

That wouldn't really be enough power for a Pi 3 though, you'd be better off just building a custom cable that carries a normal HDMI cable and a separate USB cable running to a high-output power adapter You wouldn't even need to like cut up existing cable for that, there are often long lengths of slit open cable that you can stuff the two things into and through into the case on one end and to split out to the respective sockets on the other.

Gotcha. Right on, thanks!

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
I've thrown the newest FreeBSD RELEASE on my Pi 2 (after trying out ~about two years ago, hardware support was kinda shaky then) and it works really well and was a breeze to set up. I also "upgraded" to a $10 Sandisk 64 GB SDCard. (Tested and both capacity and speed are genuine and what to be expected of this class card. It was so cheap because it's "refurbished", here's a hint: There's nothing to refurbish on an SD card. These are all cards that were probably barely used and then RMAd for whatever reason. They're tested and work well, never made a bad experience with them. They have been stamped with the letters "REFURB" though, probably so they won't get resold as new for a higher price and for warranty reasons)

The FreeBSD image booted right off the bat and even resized the partition automagically without any user intervention. Firewall and network services were a breeze to set up. (as experienced Gentoo user, FreeBSD is not as big as an paradigm shift so YMMV) I'm using it as DHCP/DNS/NTP/Telnet/FTP-Server for old computers (hence Telnet/FTP - only LAN - no worries) and it works nicely. The documentation of FreeBSD is detailed and a dream and there are lot of packages for ARMv6. Sadly it's Tier 2 (and probably always will be considering the vast differences of machines in the ARM platform) so there will maybe never be an "freebsd-update" but if you stick to release and use crochet it's not that big of a deal with an SD card.

In a world were the Linux base software landscape becomes more and more fragmented and/or bloaty looking at FreeBSD might be worth it, all my interactions with *BSD systems so far were nothing but pleasant. The only problem is that it even supports less hardware than Linux and is significantly behind it in graphics stuff. Situation reminds me a bit of early '00s Linux vs. Windows. There's a compatibility shim for Linux stuff but don't ask me, I don't know a lot about it.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
anyone got a good link for doing a headless setup of a zero W? I've got all the cables and adapters to do it with a monitor but I'd rather not go through the trouble. All I really need is to get it hooked up on my wifi and be able to SSH in to get the rest of it set up.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

GobiasIndustries posted:

anyone got a good link for doing a headless setup of a zero W? I've got all the cables and adapters to do it with a monitor but I'd rather not go through the trouble. All I really need is to get it hooked up on my wifi and be able to SSH in to get the rest of it set up.

https://core-electronics.com.au/tutorials/raspberry-pi-zerow-headless-wifi-setup.html

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

I want to play around with "high-speed" computer vision on a Pi3 or pi-like. I'm mainly wondering what the highest fps i can get (even if it is really low res). I see, for example some 2MP usb camera modules on ebay for $40 or so that claim to be capable of 120fps at lowered resolutions like 320x240.

Another option could be a mouse optical flow sensor, i know some are used to aid with quadcopter position holding, and have resolution of 30x30 for the common ADNS3080 chip. As I understand it, these chips process tens of thousands of frames a second for calculating flow data, but actually grabbing a frame off the chip is much slower, ~100fps tops if my rough calculation is correct, probably a lot less in practice?

So any particular recommendations for camera modules, and/or system to run them? With a total budget of ~$100 for computer + camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Thank you! Worked like a charm.