Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Checking in to say Divinity Original Sin 2 is still really good and you should play it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Breetai posted:

What in particular has you feeling this way?

The docking computer music, mostly

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Breetai posted:

What in particular has you feeling this way?

The big one that bugs me is that the alpha really had a cool update to the original games art style but the newer gameplay videos show it replaced with a generic as hell one that has no character.

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

tuo posted:

On the other hand, Elite is (nearly) exactly what was pitched. It is a modern remake of the original Elite idea. Of course, in the meantime games have evolved to a completely new art form. "Pong" would nowadays be classified as a tech demo or "vertical slice", not a game, similar to original Elite.

I can understand you and everyone who says that E:D is not a perfect game, because Frontier and Brabham went a different route for a remake (in contrast to something like Metroid Returns for example). At least he did not step into the same trap as Crobberts did and decided he has to remake the old game concept by overloading it with everything modern games offer.

Imo, Frontier delivered what they promised. A modern version in regards to graphics, controls etc. of a very, very old game. I backed another Kickstarter where I hoped they'd do the same, the System Shock 1 remake, and currently I am loosing faith in wether they understood why people backed and what they actually pitched when I see the (little) updates they provide. The thing is, the System Shock 1 remake might become a better game for the general audience/gamer, but could dissappoint those who wanted to relive their childhood memories. Then again, there is more money to make from the modern audience than from some old guys like me. At least if you disregard something like SC ;)

TL;DR: Frontier made what they pitched: a very old game (which would get critized nowadays, of course) with modern technology, instead of a modern game in the same universe as a very old game

:perfect:

This is my take on Elite. It was a remake of the original, which a lot of people found boring. Yet I find the game cathartic. Look at minecraft. There are a lot of people out there who enjoy what others call mundane.

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

Sillybones posted:

Did you know the entire contract was written out, down to the tiniest text where they used a single bone from a sparrow rib.

This is the kind of stuff I love. Obscure trivia.

So when someone says "Hey, what do you know?"
You can reply, "I know they used a sparrows rib to write part of the contract in Willy Wonka"

Sectopod
Aug 24, 2017

Exposure posted:

... some QoL of things I wished could be ported over to the oldCOM games.

I think OpenXcom is what you are looking for?

https://openxcom.org

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug
RSI late again with their taxes.

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/08882924

EDIT:

CIG too.

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/08815227

Dooguk fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Oct 15, 2017

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Coutts’ Squadron 42 Starring Mark Hammill

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/sSvtgPs.gifv

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Rugganovich posted:

:perfect:

This is my take on Elite. It was a remake of the original, which a lot of people found boring. Yet I find the game cathartic. Look at minecraft. There are a lot of people out there who enjoy what others call mundane.

According to Steam I've played 30 hours of Elite since I got it a few months back. I still haven't actually done anything so far. Just flew around space and done a few delivery missions. And I'm not sure I really want to do much with this game; I think I'm just going to kit out as an explorer and go round discovering systems and poo poo.

TBH; I only play it when I'm baked.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

ManofManyAliases posted:

If God gave you those rights, I'm ready to be an atheist.

I'm sure you felt like you totes OWNED the warlord, when you typed this out and triumphantly pressed 'post', but please - read it again and look up the definition of 'atheist' MoMA. I like you when you're smug, but some standards are required for you to continue being funny.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

BeigeJacket posted:

I still haven't actually done anything so far. Just flew around space and done a few delivery missions. And I'm not sure I really want to do much with this game;

Well...that's the game...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQnaRtNMGMI

Nanako the Narc
Sep 6, 2011

Taintrunner posted:

Checking in to say Divinity Original Sin 2 is still really good and you should play it

Ugh, FINE, I'll buy the critically and user acclaimed RPG that I've been waiting for the most minor of excuses to buy. Twist my arm, why don't you? :rolleyes:

Administrative incompetence or maybe they want to release their accounts under the smoke cloud of Citizencon?

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Latin Pheonix posted:

Ugh, FINE, I'll buy the critically and user acclaimed RPG that I've been waiting for the most minor of excuses to buy. Twist my arm, why don't you? :rolleyes:

Let me help you out: it got a 7/10 on Polygon, because the game let's you do so loving much, that it may lead to situations which *gasp* aren't perfect or even buggy.

It's really really good though

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
"Evocati" was what the ancient romans called their soldiers who remained in military service even after their service period was over. In many cases, these where old veterans getting swindled by some local fat cat administrator who invented excuses not to give them the plot of land they been promised as a retirement bonus.

So i guess modern day evocatis and ancient evocatis share one thing in common; they both been promised something they wont get, yet still they are forced to work for it.

Taintrunner posted:

I'm playing it, but im a stupid rear end idiot who almost got my party wiped by three frogs in the starting area. :negative:

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

tuo posted:

Let me help you out: it got a 7/10 on Polygon, because the game let's you do so loving much, that it may lead to situations which *gasp* aren't perfect or even buggy.

It's really really good though

What sort of investment does this game require? I'm more on the casual end of giving a game my attention lately.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

toanoradian posted:

What sort of investment does this game require? I'm more on the casual end of giving a game my attention lately.

Time. Lot's of it.

e: it's casual, though. I also don't play much more than maybe 1,5 hour per day (maybe even less) these days, but imo you can play it for an hour, and pick it up two days later without problems. At least that's my observation after about 12 hours of play. And I'm still in the starter region, mind you, there's just so much to do and most of it is actually fun.

tuo fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Oct 15, 2017

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

Not taxes and also RSI filed their accounts yesterday, the pdf is still unavailable.

The confirmation statements are just basic admin that is literally just a tick box that needs to be ticked annually. That they are late for both companies, tells you all you need to know about the people running them.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

OK, that was good. I will accept it as penance :grin:

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
Reddit: Irresponsible Evocati Selection
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/76bs0d/irresponsible_evocati_selection/

quote:

As a Star Citizen Content Creator I have found it hard to sit on this news but I feel it needs to be shared in fairness to all. This is obviously a throwaway account.
We have been told by CIG that all Evocati testers have been selected on their merit for being the best at reporting bugs and their hard work and dedication.
Unfornately this is not true for all, some of these testers were simply in the 'right place at the right time'. Alot of them have infact come from BAR CITIZEN events attended by CIG emplyees. Were they signed a NDA on the spot.
I have attained this information from several Evocati members that attended such events.
My personal feeling is this isnt a even playing field and I wish all Evocati was selected on merit as we were lead to believe and not just a drinking buddy system.
How can Evocati be selected this way when they need to be able to bug reports and actually do QA testing when they seem to be more likely selected on their beverage preference?
Evidence of this can be seen on the lastest AtV where CR comments on Testers not being up to par, giving more opinions then bugs.
https://youtu.be/hGNoDLNkILM?t=4m46s
Isnt having the best testers in the Evocati the point? Not just so CIG get the best people on the job but so we to get the bugs found faster and more overly, get the builds out to everyone else quicker?
I myself backed this project in hopes of testing the game and when I hear people being selected in this method and simply because of reasons like these and not on their merrit it tends to rub the wrong way. Hopefully the Delta patcher gives us all more access in the future. I can give more details but not without giving out names of which I dont wish to do so at this time.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

quote:

I'm surprised that the game has mission givers at all. Aren't all the missions supposed to be procedurally generated? Isn't the PU supposed to be a living breathing entity where every NPC can be killed? Mission Givers is more of a World of Warcraft theme park approach.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Who in their right mind thought that the selection will be fair? CR is all about nepotism and connections.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMTMAUM0WMU&t=130s

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I am a Star Citizen Content Creator and therefore I am Important.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Ever wondered how ships are made?

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

[platiniom]I always thought you are also getting money from frontier. Just talk with Jay K.[/platiniom]

AutismVaccine fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Oct 15, 2017

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

Dream Factory
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shZXyh7bPLY

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

Dream Factory
Grimey Drawer
I'm sure all these bugs are fixed in 3.0 4.0 Jesus Patch

his nibs fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Oct 15, 2017

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Here, we see the male and female ship in it's courtship dance.
They kiss, and then the male starts to dance, ships locked.
If the female is wooed by this display, she may allow one of the male crew to mop her floors.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I bought Chris a beer once.
I am more Important than you.

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

I just wanted to remind you all to call your parents and tell them that Divinity Original Sin 2 is a good game and they should play it.

Unlike Star Citizen which is hot poo poo in a wet bucket.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

Dream Factory
Grimey Drawer

happyhippy posted:

Here, we see the male and female ship in it's courtship dance.
They kiss, and then the male starts to dance, ships locked.
If the female is wooed by this display, she may allow one of the male crew to mop her floors.

I blame the gravity goo

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

D_Smart posted:

OK, that was good. I will accept it as penance :grin:
I have seen the other side. There is nothing there.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

thatguy posted:

I have seen the other side. There is nothing there.

Your new AV is pretty nice

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
I have a new avatar of Ben as well. Everything's comin' up thatguy.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

ship sale at Elite Dangerous!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cz5JVeOTv-8

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

tuo posted:

TL;DR: Frontier made what they pitched: a very old game (which would get critized nowadays, of course) with modern technology, instead of a modern game in the same universe as a very old game

Oolite is much closer to the original Elite than Elite Dangerous, and the original pitch for ED was also much closer to the original.

As Toops says I know people love it for what it is and it's still a game I can happily loose a couple of nights in - but it really is a game about graphics and not much else. It's nice to go there but it's a step backwards from Elite and Frontier Elite II.

Once you see how your ship spawns things around it it in the most obvious and clunky way (an entire base spawned right in front of you because you have a mission for it) the effect of the galaxy being 'out there' for you to explore is completely ruined.

The originals and Oolite do not suffer from that fundamental problem, you never get the impression that stuff is 'spawning in' yet ED pops in ships and POIs and USSs and surface objects all over the place. So you never feel like you have stumbled across something cool or wandered into a dangerous situation and must fight your way out of it.

Elite and Oolite make you feel like you're flying through a galaxy. ED makes you feel like you're flying a lookup table through a database.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
Meanwhile over at KIA. Since their threads tend to hit the Reddit front page, let's see how this one goes.

quote:

Nobody in the $12k refund thread seems to be surprised that someone spent $12K on a game...what the hell? is any game worth that much from a single player?
:grin:

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

D_Smart posted:

Meanwhile over at KIA. Since their threads tend to hit the Reddit front page, let's see how this one goes.
:grin:

Star Citizen: delayed
Squadron 42: delayed
Refunds: delayed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abuminable
Mar 30, 2017

Now, aside from the Abuminable, business goes on as usual.

SomethingJones posted:

Star Citizen: delayed
Squadron 42: delayed
Refunds: delayed

ELE Doomsday Clock: 1 minute closer to midnight