Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

New episodes every Monday starting at 9pm ET/PT. Streaming available at WatchDisneyXD.

As all good things must come to an end, so will Dave Filoni's four-year-long Star Wars tabletop RPG campaign of a series. Still, if these trailers are any indication, he's sending it out with a few really bad rolls a bang.

Here's an episode list with airing dates:

Monday, 10/16 – “Heroes of Mandalore” Parts 1 & 2
Monday, 10/23 – “In the Name of the Rebellion” Parts 1 & 2
Monday, 10/30 – “The Occupation” and “Flight of the Defender”
Monday, 11/6 – “Kindred” and “Crawler Commandeers”
Monday, 11/13 – “Rebel Assault”

~*hiatus*~

Monday, 2/19 - "Jedi Night" and "DUME"
Monday, 2/26 - "Wolves and a Door" and "A World Between Worlds"
Monday, 3/5 - "A Fool's Hope" and "Family Reunion - and Farewell"

I usually do a recap of sorts, but turns out Lucasfilm made a sweet 5-minute video summing up the past 3 seasons!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOSt_GdaS0s

Some cool links to check out in-between episodes:
- The continually-excellent Rebels Recon, a companion series to each week's Rebels episode; features entertaining and insightful commentary from the series' creative leads, as well as amusing banter between host Andi Gutierrez and the Lucasfilm Story Group's own Pablo Hidalgo.
- StarWars.com's episode guides for the series, which contain high-res concept art, trivia, and selected pieces from Kevin Kiner's musical score.
- This goon-made list of essential Clone Wars episodes if you feel out of the loop due to all the characters from that series that are continuing to pop up in this one.
- Past threads for Seasons 1, 2, and 3 of Rebels, as well as the last thread we had for The Clone Wars.

Thanks to Lorak for the thread title (and supplementary explanation for the uninformed)!

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Mar 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Also, if the newest episode goes up for streaming early (as they generally have in the past) I trust you all to be discreet and use spoiler tags. :)

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

It's been a fun four-ish years and I'm glad they're actually being allowed to finish Rebels instead of having to put the rest of the series in books and comics

Although from a certain point of view, they've already done that with some plot points, such as the Cadets episode from S1 ultimately being resolved in junior novels, as well as Kanan's backstory having an awesome comic series...

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

fffffffffffff all those X-Wings :flashfap:

I never had a chance to get into TCW since I was in my phase of "George Lucas doesn't know what he's doing" for new Star Wars properties but I am glad I grew out of it in time for this series. It's been a great journey the past 3 years :unsmith:

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Jeeze, they're really pushing these episodes out fast. Reminds me of the last two seasons of Korra.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

gently caress, I am so sad this is ending. :(

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014

Vinylshadow posted:

Although from a certain point of view, they've already done that with some plot points, such as the Cadets episode from S1 ultimately being resolved in junior novels, as well as Kanan's backstory having an awesome comic series...

You're going to find that enjoyment many of the Star Wars media we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view. I don't mind them taking the ephemeral details and fleshing them out with books and comics.

I find that by half hinting and having the character's pasts coming back to haunting them rather than getting stuck into episodes about back story and motivation makes them a lot more likable since your brain fills in the gaps. I like to imagine Sabine being an incredibly brutal bounty hunter and Zeb underplaying how much was taken from him and how far he has fallen. The character work is the best part of the show. Shallow enough so that they are not all horribly haunted and broken people so it can still be a kids show and implying a lot of depth. I am not a fan of the wankery that people have over Vader. But holy poo poo did they pull it off by making him a space terminator. It was all summed up in Ezra's line after they escape him the first time "What was that?"
Character and subtlety. Great show.

All that said, the Kanen comic was fantastic. A great twist on the "young idealistic kid becomes rogue and learns to be cynical"

EDIT:
Not to mention near the end of season 3 Maul's last words to Obi-Wan regarding Luke "He will revenge us" It's incredible what they did to a one note villain over the course of the 2 shows. That whole scene and fight was way more tense and emotional than it had any right to be. It's as much knowing when to pull back as to go all in.

Lonos Oboe fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Oct 15, 2017

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Gonna watch the poo poo out of this before work tomorrow.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
So I'm watching live but are they pushing these to On Demand at the same time as the airing?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I only caught up recently and I just wanted to say that the Obi Wan/Maul "fight" was absolutely spectacular and something I feel has been sorely missing from the newer Star Wars films. Just a single perfect stroke of his blade and the fight is done almost before it started.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

J33uk posted:

So I'm watching live but are they pushing these to On Demand at the same time as the airing?

I don’t see it, and the live feed on the app is currently showing some dude playing Duke Nukem 3D (!)

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Not sure what the spoiler policy is going to be here with the weird airing schedule soooo...

Oh no! This weapon is far too effective for us to use! In order to be true Mandalorians we need to engage in honourable battle and get the poo poo kicked out of us at every turn! I really hope that's the end of the Mando stuff, it's been fun to see more of Sabine's backstory (I like her Dad being the arty one in the family) but I've had my fill now. Also Ezra was pretty much a supporting character in his own show this week.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Jerusalem posted:

I only caught up recently and I just wanted to say that the Obi Wan/Maul "fight" was absolutely spectacular and something I feel has been sorely missing from the newer Star Wars films. Just a single perfect stroke of his blade and the fight is done almost before it started.

The fight has been going on since The Clone Wars (for Obi-Wan; Maul's been at it since Obi-Wan cleaved him in half some three decades prior) and Obi-Wan played Maul like a flute in their final duet, and so the curtain finally falls for two old warriors, who leave it to the next generation to finish what they started (destroying the Sith)

Quite an underrated duel and I like that

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

J33uk posted:

Not sure what the spoiler policy is going to be here with the weird airing schedule soooo...

Oh no! This weapon is far too effective for us to use! In order to be true Mandalorians we need to engage in honourable battle and get the poo poo kicked out of us at every turn! I really hope that's the end of the Mando stuff, it's been fun to see more of Sabine's backstory (I like her Dad being the arty one in the family) but I've had my fill now. Also Ezra was pretty much a supporting character in his own show this week.

was the idea that they would eventually deploy it on something other than an easy as poo poo to kill 1 man walker? But yeah the whole "my armor is more important than not getting microwaved to death" thing was stupid. Why does every scifi property need the super honor bound race poo poo?

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jerusalem posted:

I genuinely think that was the best Star Wars moment since the original trilogy. It perfectly captures the whole Kurosawa-style of the original duels, it has an emotional background because of what's going on between the two characters, and at the same time it makes sense from a purely logical point of view (Obi-Wan has a lot more battle experience than Darth Maul and spent years refining his connection to the Force). It even features all the new trilogy and EU stances and fighting styles shenanigans and incorporate it into the narrative without ruining the point of the fight. It's perfect. I also like how Maul seems to understand at the end that all of them, the Sith and the Jedi, are victims of Palpatine.

I was expecting another generic lightsaber fight but I was so very much surprised by what they did. It "gets" it.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Oct 16, 2017

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

So I guess less-than-lethal methods are tyrannical, but killing all those conscripted on board the star destroyer is a-ok? I can live with that.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

So I guess less-than-lethal methods are tyrannical, but killing all those conscripted on board the star destroyer is a-ok? I can live with that.

#empiredidnothingwrong.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Rocksicles posted:

#empiredidnothingwrong.

Well no, the empire was going to use it to burn people alive.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

I can't believe they ruined the beautiful Mandalorian roaster and turned it against the heroic bucketheads trying to spare us from another speech about honor.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

I just don't like the out-of-universe commentary about how Maul supposedly tried to hit Obi-Wan in the face like he did with Qui-Gon and got killed for it, because the two instances are really different and the second instance just cheapens Maul as a duelist.

Vinylshadow posted:

The fight has been going on since The Clone Wars (for Obi-Wan; Maul's been at it since Obi-Wan cleaved him in half some three decades prior)
The fight actually stopped for Obi-Wan when the Jedi were destroyed and he and Yoda failed to stop the Emperor. He said so himself in the episode, he was hoping to avoid Maul and didn't wish to fight him. And even when the first part was shot to hell by Maul's manipulation of Ezra, he still tried to give Maul an out, to make him realize that he was following a path that would lead him to nothing.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

X_Toad posted:

I just don't like the out-of-universe commentary about how Maul supposedly tried to hit Obi-Wan in the face like he did with Qui-Gon and got killed for it, because the two instances are really different and the second instance just cheapens Maul as a duelist.

There's nothing supposed about it, it's literally what happens. Obi-Wan deliberately assumes Qui-Gon's fighting stance, Maul sees this and thinks he can exploit the same flaw as he did with Qui-Gon and tries to strike Obi-Wan in the face with his saber like he did when he defeated Qui-Gon, but Obi-Wan deflects that blow and kills Maul. Obi-Wan lured Maul into a trap. It doesn't cheapen Maul, it just shows that he hasn't been able to move on and adapt from that duel, whereas Obi-Wan has. It's character development.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Elentor posted:

I also like how Maul seems to understand at the end that all of them, the Sith and the Jedi, are victims of Palpatine.

And yet, he can only understand the situation in terms of revenge. It's the perfect ending to a character who hasn't moved on emotionally at all.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Kenobi didn't even light his saber until Maul threatened Luke. Up until then, Maul could've walked away...after saying that though, it was game on.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Tasing stromtroopers = bad
Blowing up a whole star destroyer and its crew = :discourse:

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Phylodox posted:

There's nothing supposed about it, it's literally what happens. Obi-Wan deliberately assumes Qui-Gon's fighting stance, Maul sees this and thinks he can exploit the same flaw as he did with Qui-Gon and tries to strike Obi-Wan in the face with his saber like he did when he defeated Qui-Gon, but Obi-Wan deflects that blow and kills Maul.
No see, this is my problem with it, the two aren't alike at all.

In Qui-Gon's case, Maul had just pushed back a blow from the Jedi Master when he went for that move, his weapon's hilt was literally centimeters away from his face, he just needed a quick jab to reach it. In Obi-Wan's case, he tried it from a crouch, he had to extend his entire body and his arms before hoping to hit Obi-Wan. Also, compare the few seconds before : the first time, Maul is on the offensive, pushes back the Jedi and manages to always keep his weapon up, like he's preparing for that move. The second time, he never manages to gain that sort of momentum, Obi-Wan blocks all of his blows and doesn't give ground like his master did. That Maul tried that move again in those conditions is beyond stupid and that's why I say it cheapens Maul as a duelist.

If Obi-Wan had actually brought him in the exact same position before pulling the tables on him, at the cost of a fight maybe a few seconds longer, I wouldn't be complaining. But they did, and they made the mistake of pointing it out, and fans are praising them for going away from the flashiness of the Prequels duels, and it just pisses me off in that particular instance because they took a move that kind-of made sense in the The Phantom Menace and made it nonsensical in Rebels.

And do not get me started on the double-bladed lightsaber in the animated productions. Although I guess that TCW at least had the rather neat "theme" of making it the weapon of choice of the biggest and strongest characters (until the Temple Guards were introduced, I guess) around.

X_Toad fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Oct 16, 2017

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
It makes perfect sense because a) the Super-Marionation style requires exaggerated movements like that and b) the situation is different. The problem is that Obi-Wan grasps this while Maul doesn’t. Maul tries to re-enact his previous victory, even though Obi-Wan is clearly in control and not on the defensive.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
It was pretty comical watching all the characters with lightsabers using them against humans… by cutting their weapons in half, every time.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Phylodox posted:

It makes perfect sense because a) the Super-Marionation style requires exaggerated movements like that and b) the situation is different. The problem is that Obi-Wan grasps this while Maul doesn’t. Maul tries to re-enact his previous victory, even though Obi-Wan is clearly in control and not on the defensive.
I still can't see it. A fighter like Maul wouldn't go for that move in that position, he knows better. I don't have anything against the shortness of the fight, but making the fight nonsensical in the interest of symbolism just doesn't sit well with me.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Zoran posted:

It was pretty comical watching all the characters with lightsabers using them against humans… by cutting their weapons in half, every time.

Weird thing is there have definitely been times where they've directly struck stormtroopers with their sabers during the series, but yeah I did notice the excessive weapon slashing in these episodes.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

X_Toad posted:

I still can't see it. A fighter like Maul wouldn't go for that move in that position, he knows better. I don't have anything against the shortness of the fight, but making the fight nonsensical in the interest of symbolism just doesn't sit well with me.

He went for the move because it’s what won him the fight last time. The whole fight is to show how Obi-Wan has learned from his experiences while Maul hasn’t. Maul being a good combatant is subordinate to him being stunted and twisted by his obsession with the past.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Phylodox posted:

He went for the move because it’s what won him the fight last time. The whole fight is to show how Obi-Wan has learned from his experiences while Maul hasn’t. Maul being a good combatant is subordinate to him being stunted and twisted by his obsession with the past.
My point is that not even someone as messed up as Maul would go for such a dangerous, stupid move given their respective positions. If their placements were similar to that of Maul and Qui Gon back then, I would call it genius (especially if Obi-Wan planned it this way), but right now all I see is Maul making a mistake not even a beginner would make for the sake of symbolism. I call it stupid and I call it lazy.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

X_Toad posted:

Rreally? "Nonsensical in the interests of symbolism" might as well be the title of the Star Wars Style Guide.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

X_Toad posted:

My point is that not even someone as messed up as Maul would go for such a dangerous, stupid move given their respective positions.

Why not? Maul is someone who was literally driven insane by what happened to him on Naboo. He finds out that the guy he blames for all of that is alive and hiding out somewhere. Then, when you confront the guy, he directly mimics the event you traumatically remember as your downfall. What part of any of that makes you think Maul’s not going to go batshit and act without thinking?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
A thing I should note is that pretty much all the Mandalorians we have seen in Rebels are ones that would have been Villains back in the Clone Wars with the Death Watch. Bo-Katan was one for example. In fact Bo-Katans first appearance featured her and her group taking slaves then murdering innocent people for no reason. (The justification being they were stronger and allowed to do what they want)

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

To be fair, Bo-Katan was a Good GuyTM even by the end of her Clone Wars appearances.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Cross-Section posted:

To be fair, Bo-Katan was a Good GuyTM even by the end of her Clone Wars appearances.

Her last appearance in Clone Wars was after her Boss Pre Vizsla backstabbed Maul after Maul helped put Vizsla's group in charge of Mandalore. Maul and Vizsla had their duel with the terms being the forces of the loser would follow. Bo-Katan betrayed the agreement and decided to fight against Maul. Freeing her sister to help her avenge Vizsla.

Nothing really made a her a good guy. The fact she was willing to ignore her Mandalorian honor once Vizsla lost kind of makes her worse. She only freed her sister whom she helped imprison cause she felt it would help her revenge scheme.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

I was speaking more of how she's viewed in the meta and fandom. To you and me, she's still a character with complex and muddled motivations, but to most she's just the Mando what does the standard Star Wars Redemption/Betrayal face turn and ends up fighting all cool-like alongside Kenobi by the end there.

Tarquinn posted:

Tasing stromtroopers = bad
Blowing up a whole star destroyer and its crew = :discourse:

Yeah I don't think the SD destruction was intentional, given the reactions when the core began to overload

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

You're being a pedantic 'sperg about realistic fencing combat moves in a TV series with laser swords and a fight that was clearly meant to invoke a Kurosawa-style duel and serve as a metaphor for the characters' emotional states. Do you also have strong opinions about the military tactics of the main characters in the Lord of the Rings movies?

Episode was very good, show is very good, Rebels Recon when?

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Rebels Recon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JoAwwYtsHc

These two episodes were... kinda bad. I agree, I hope this is the last of the mandalor stuff until they come back and save the day and get wiped out by the empire properly. The episodes featured a terrible ambush attack which just became boring with how long it went and a bit too much jetpack combat.

At least the preview clip from next week looks good and cool Y-Wings! Yavin IV!

• Locked thread