Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

On the other hand, our lovely human nature is incurable and eternal.

Thank atheismo for transhumanism, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Caufman posted:

Thank atheismo for transhumanism, though.

He did what now?

Is that futurama?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Eiba posted:

I don't think so. I don't think the types of people in that guy's facebook group are capable of enough self reflection to realize the show was calling them lovely too. They see lovely Krill bad guys in the show and happily leap to the conclusion that they're a reference to the "real" lovely bad guys: Muslims. A happy conclusion reached, logical inferences end, and their worldview remains unthreatened.

This could be the most overtly pro-athiest show in the world (and that's probably what it's going for) and they'd remain happily oblivious to it if they liked what they thought it was saying.

I don't think the show was making a bold stance for atheism. I think that line about species abandoning religion when they advance to space was what was known as a "joke"

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rutibex posted:

I don't think the show was making a bold stance for atheism. I think that line about species abandoning religion when they advance to space was what was known as a "joke"

Can't joke about space Jesus.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Rutibex posted:

As XO Wife obliquely points out, though, the part of religion that Union humans have abandoned since meeting extraterrestrials is that the universe exists just for "man", meaning homo sapiens. They now think the universe is meant to be enjoyed and discovered by super strong alien women and stoic alien men from a culture that practices infant sex changes. They would think that about the krill, too, if the krill made the same leap of faith that the Union species have.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Rutibex posted:

Nah, if it had been about species abandoning cricket (or 'krikkit') when they advance to space, then it would have been a joke. Also it needed to be written 35 years ago.

Pakled posted:

I expected the Krill to be like the Silastic Armorfiends, but really, they're more like the Krikkiters.

Edit: just in case people don't get the reference, the antagoinists in Douglas Adams' book Life, The Universe and Everything were from a planet perpetually shrouded in darkness and when they achieved space travel and discovered the rest of the universe they decided to wage a holy war against everything else.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Oct 15, 2017

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Rutibex posted:

I think that line about species abandoning religion when they advance to space was what was known as a "joke"
The gently caress?

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
I think the past few pages are a great demonstration of how different people can honestly, unironically arrive at different conclusions even thouh they're observing the same stuff.

Turns out perspective is a thing. Who knew?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Rutibex posted:

Sounds more like world-building to moi.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Shbobdb posted:

Is vitalism making a comeback?

Why would "replicating life" be surprising?

It takes very high resolution to get a living thing right and eukaryote cells are always on a hair trigger for suicide. Get some mitochondrial membrane proteins wrong or cause some nonsense mutations and lots of cells are going to self-terminate. On a less resolved scale if you don't bother to get the chemical gradients right cells just immediately die.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Sounds right to me; you don't need to lack a soul for your fleshy bits to just not work.

I can only imagine that a replicated animal would be a hellish clump of disease, tumors, and necrotic flesh after a few hours.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Did Issac whip up those holo emitters in his quarters or was he loaning them tech from his species?

Caufman
May 7, 2007

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Did Issac whip up those holo emitters in his quarters or was he loaning them tech from his species?

Isaac is actually just a human dressed as a robot who is really good with tech, but really bad at understanding social concepts like jokes.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Aren't these the same thing pretty much? He's loaning them tech from his species, which he probably whipped up in his quarters with the replicator.

Didn't they already use the same sort of device from him for the zoo infiltration?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Caufman posted:

Isaac is actually just a human dressed as a robot who is really good with tech, but really bad at understanding social concepts like jokes.

*bites lip* *fails* I DIDN'T KNOW ISAAC WAS A GOON

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Azhais posted:

Aren't these the same thing pretty much? He's loaning them tech from his species, which he probably whipped up in his quarters with the replicator.

Didn't they already use the same sort of device from him for the zoo infiltration?

Issac is tech from his species. His very presence is a loan of his species technology.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Azhais posted:

Yeah I guess that's true. I was trying to figure out if his species has some sort of prime directive kind of thing where he's not supposed to give them higher level tech or something. I just hope they don't fall into the trap of Isaac saving them with deus ex machina tech constantly (so far so good)

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
Star Trek and probably the Orville have always been able to replicate life, hello, transporters? it's probably unethical or illegal to create copies or new life via the replicator.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
The tech is adapted by isaac from the zoo trap

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
^^ ah right, the trap. I couldn't remember where the holo thing came from originally in that ep

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

Star Trek and probably the Orville have always been able to replicate life, hello, transporters? it's probably unethical or illegal to create copies or new life via the replicator.

I don't think orville has transporters yet, they were all pretty impressed with the future device.

As for trek creating life, I suppose it depends if you think transporters work like "The Prestige" and the galaxy is actually littered with Picard corpses

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Just got around to watching the episode, I thought it was great for the most part but I feel that the show is stronger when it's more than just Malarky and Ed

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Brawnfire posted:

*bites lip* *fails* I DIDN'T KNOW ISAAC WAS A GOON

You walked into my trap, but secretly I'm lolling with you.

To be fair to Isaac and cruel to the goon stereotype, Isaac is good natured and the goon is not.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Azhais posted:

^^ ah right, the trap. I couldn't remember where the holo thing came from originally in that ep

I don't think orville has transporters yet, they were all pretty impressed with the future device.

As for trek creating life, I suppose it depends if you think transporters work like "The Prestige" and the galaxy is actually littered with Picard corpses

Dude, TNG has an episode where you see a teleporter from the transportee perspective: complete continuity of consciousness.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Arglebargle III posted:

It takes very high resolution to get a living thing right and eukaryote cells are always on a hair trigger for suicide. Get some mitochondrial membrane proteins wrong or cause some nonsense mutations and lots of cells are going to self-terminate. On a less resolved scale if you don't bother to get the chemical gradients right cells just immediately die.

I'd imagine you'd need pretty loving good resolution whether you were replicating life or not. Imagine if you got the nucleus of one atom too close to the nucleus of another. Might start a fire.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

Yeah. Replicators on Star Trek (basically) work by dematerializing poop from the sewage tank/raw matter stores and using that mass to rematerialize a stored food selection in the replicator's memory banks. "Earl Grey, Hot" is going to be the exact same same cup of tea every time: they kept the perfect one.

It's like that time Scotty was trapped in the transporter for a hundred years or whatever, or when there were two Rikers.

I don't know about Tuvix becasue I didn't watch that much of the lizard loving show.

On the other side, The Sisko's dad is a hipster with his farm-to-table "real" food.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Why don't they just evolve themselves with the replication tech? Like, program the replicators/beams/wahtever to give u stronger hearts and faster brains and bigger dicks

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

There are actual physics reasons why a transporter could be able to move a living thing, while a replicator would struggle to create a copy of a living thing. Quantum teleportation allows moving information from place to place that isn't observable (due to Heisenberg uncertainty) in the first place. The downside is it absolutely must destroy the original. So a replicator has to work with information that's subject to Heisenberg uncertainty, or work by transporting bits of conventionally manufactured material. Both could reasonably struggle to create life.

Thomas Riker is hard to fit into the "transporters use quantum teleportation" solution, though. Best I can think of is both are an imperfect copy of the original, and just got lucky those imperfections were harmless.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I'm going down to the surface, I've got a Tinder date. Please beam me down there and enhance my hog by 30%

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe
If y'all want a show that deals with the ethics of transponders, there were 2 episodes of an 80s show that dealt with it. One had aliens give people the tech but it's just a copier so, to keep the secret, people were tasked with killing the original, their culture had a different definition of self. Another had people use 10 day long clones that melted afterwards and you absorbed their memories.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Zoro posted:

Dude, TNG has an episode where you see a teleporter from the transportee perspective: complete continuity of consciousness.

yea, but there's snakes and poo poo. it's really gross.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Zoro posted:

If y'all want a show that deals with the ethics of transponders, there were 2 episodes of an 80s show that dealt with it. One had aliens give people the tech but it's just a copier so, to keep the secret, people were tasked with killing the original, their culture had a different definition of self. Another had people use 10 day long clones that melted afterwards and you absorbed their memories.

Was that in The Outer Limits? My favorite one was about when robots take over and make humans into slaves. They also separate men from women except to mate. When I was a teenager, I thought the sex scenes in this episode were super hot and the human female was stunning.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Caufman posted:

Was that in The Outer Limits? My favorite one was about when robots take over and make humans into slaves. They also separate men from women except to mate. When I was a teenager, I thought the sex scenes in this episode were super hot and the human female was stunning.

That's The Human Operators, where a bunch of military ship AIs kill off most of their crews, leaving only a few on each ship, and getting together only to have the human crews produce babies.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Polly Shannon, thank you for teaching a teenage me some important lessons about making out.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Today somebody asked me what I'm thinking of "the New Star Trek" and I said I love The Orville. Turns out this came across as a particular political stance - it seems The Internet is full of people who hate Discovery cause it has black people (drat SJWs forcing diversity down my throats!) , and love The Orville cause it, I guess, doesn't?.. But then, wouldn't these people also go insane over the physically strong woman, the sex surgery episode, and the mocking of religion ..?

Arglebargle III posted:

I'm fairly sure replicators are very accurate. Otherwise they'd poison people all the time.

Rutibex posted:

Even given the weird outlier "USA", it's a fairly stable relationship.

Shbobdb posted:

Is vitalism making a comeback?
Spore drive, waterbear supercomputer, impenetrable waterbear armor.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Zoro posted:

The original Men In Black comics used memory transfers with clones in their "teleporters," too. Jay was horrified when he realized he was the clone and had to die to get back in his own body.

Cingulate posted:

Today somebody asked me what I'm thinking of "the New Star Trek" and I said I love The Orville. Turns out this came across as a particular political stance - it seems The Internet is full of people who hate Discovery cause it has black people (drat SJWs forcing diversity down my throats!) , and love The Orville cause it, I guess, doesn't?.. But then, wouldn't these people also go insane over the physically strong woman, the sex surgery episode, and the mocking of religion ..?

Look. We all know it's impossible to be gangsta in space and that only white nerds like sci-fi, so hush.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Cingulate posted:

Yeah, unfortunately, that is how things are going online right now. The right wing extremists got into their head that they need to wage culture wars and that's why gamergate happened, that's why Marvel is terrible for having non-white characters and DC's amazing (despite DC also having non White characters), and that's why Discovery vs. Orville is treated as a political statement, because they made it one.

It never actually makes sense. There's always a flaw that anyone who critically thinks can recognize. But, if you can critically think, you wouldn't be a right-wing extremist. Yes, the Orville is actually more leftist then Star Trek Discovery in its political message, but the main character is a white male so it's all good and perfect and unsullied by the SJWs, as they view it. That's really it, just the fact that it doesn't feature prominent examples of non-white, non-CIS, non-Het characters.

After all, as we saw from the Facebook group, they can twist the message however they want: they took the episode on Boris daughter to be anti-transgender even though it wasn't and they took the episode that was about the risks of religious extremism as anti-muslim which is super ironic.

Frankly, there is really no way around the fact that 30 to 50% of the country are loving driven by their spite of liberals and think they need to do everything in their power to make liberals suffer as their Prime motivating factor. Trust me, I've talked to these people both in and off the internet and that's really all that drives. They tend to be really loving terrible people who have nothing in their lives other than clinging to their identity and to hatred.

I'm really loving sick of that poo poo too. Because a lot of nerds are this kind of person so I keep running into it. I try to read comics, it's having its own gamergate right now where right-wing guys are attacking author with death threats and harassment if their women or non white or transgender. I try to get into a Sci-Fi series and now liking one over the other is a political statement. I tried to get into an old tabletop RPG that I liked but now it's written by a guy who drove out transgender writers and game designers with death threats and physical harassment intentionally and publicly, kept his job, and constantly writes the game to be edgy and insulting to these groups making it impossible to like it.

That's my rant, welcome to nerd culture, this is what happens when you don't exclude shity people because of the nerd social fallacies.

Zoro fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Oct 15, 2017

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I think the cast of the Orville might be more diverse than Discovery's, but not in the lead department.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
There's the weapons officer, then Bortus and Klyden or whatever his name is. Plus the doctor. Bortus' relationship has been a part of the show since practically minute one, as well. Kind of makes me wonder how Orville got labeled the "not SJW" show, unless it's some really stupid lesser of two evils situation where they're letting the sex/race of the main character be the deciding vote.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Rutibex posted:

Yeah, it's not specifically about atheism, but "irreligiosity" is a really awkward word so I've been saying atheism instead.

And no, it clearly wasn't a joke. It's secular sci-fi orthodoxy. It's one of those classic "No one [does common modern day thing] today!" in sci-fi that is an implicit criticism of said thing. Star Trek was built on that method of criticism. "No one fights with each other today" "No one uses money today" etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I think the cast of the Orville might be more diverse than Discovery's, but not in the lead department.

Considering a lot of them probably don't even watch the show just go off memes, that's all they need.

Zebulon posted:

Kind of makes me wonder how Orville got labeled the "not SJW" show, unless it's some really stupid lesser of two evils situation where they're letting the sex/race of the main character be the deciding vote.

That's literally it.

The same group of people get mad every time a new Star Wars movie comes out because the main character is a woman, or a black person is in a leading role or Etc. It's where the famous "little white cuckball" meme about BB8 came from as well as them claiming that the movie promoted interracial marriage as a means of destroying the white race. There's a hilarious not safe for work picture trying to explain this conspiracy theory that was made completely unironically.

The same group of people complain that Star Trek is being taken over by liberals and are totally unaware that it's always been left-leaning.

Like I said, they don't critically think.

They also usually don't see the thing they get mad about usually, they just get their marching orders from Twitter influencers like baked Alaska and Milo, they get it from some YouTube guy, they get it from /pol/ from 4chan, or they get it fromr/T_D.

Edit: and they don't really care if they're intellectually dishonest. If they piss left-leaning people off enough to leave the fandom and/or convince the creators that there are a lot of right-leaning people who won't watch the show because of it, then they can make it less left-leaning, which they define as anything that features any kind of politically left message including just featuring non-white, not het, non-cis characters.

Zoro fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Oct 15, 2017