Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I apologize for the lack of hardware information. I don't know much about this computer.

Problem description: Push the power button on the front of the computer. Case lights come on, fans spin at full speed, no output to monitor.

Attempted fixes: I thought it was the video card so I swapped in one that I had that was working previously. I also swapped the monitor cable. Neither fixed it.

Recent changes: My mom has painters over, and they unplugged the computer from the surge protector. It worked fine before that apparently.

Operating system: Windows 10, not sure what exact version.

System specs: It's an old HP from Best Buy. To give you an idea of the age, it was advertised as having a 200GB hard drive. I think several years ago her onboard video died so I threw a cheap video card in and went on my way. That would have been years ago.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

I am wondering if the BIOS battery could have gone bad, since everything seems to be getting power except the motherboard. Or it is, and I'm not getting video output, though I think the fan would drop down instead of running at full tilt indefinitely.

I'll be heading back over there on Sunday, so anything I can check would be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

gently caress, I should learn to read.

I'd try to clear the cmos via the jumper, if you have a power supply you could drag over there it wouldn't be a bad idea to try to swap it.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

CornHolio posted:

I am wondering if the BIOS battery could have gone bad, since everything seems to be getting power except the motherboard.

When a BIOS battery goes bad it just means that the BIOS settings won't be retained. It doesn't affect POST.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I was over there today. In addition to swapping the video card and monitor cable, I did the following:

- tried a different monitor
- replaced the BIOS battery
- reset the CMOS via the jumper
- replaced the power supply with a known good unit

I'm not sure what else to try. The result is always the same. Full speed fan, all lights, no noises from the hard drive and no output from the display port.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

CornHolio posted:

I'm not sure what else to try. The result is always the same. Full speed fan, all lights, no noises from the hard drive and no output from the display port.

Disconnect all non-essential peripherals (HDs and other drives, keyboard, mouse etc.) Use only one stick of RAM. If it doesn't POST then try another stick of RAM. If it still doesn't POST the motherboard is probably dead (or all the RAM has failed).

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Zogo posted:

Disconnect all non-essential peripherals (HDs and other drives, keyboard, mouse etc.) Use only one stick of RAM. If it doesn't POST then try another stick of RAM. If it still doesn't POST the motherboard is probably dead (or all the RAM has failed).

I did this when I was there except I left all of the RAM in. I did remove and reseat it. I will try this next time I'm over there. I think they have four sticks of 1GB DDR2, what are the chances it all failed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

CornHolio posted:

I did this when I was there except I left all of the RAM in. I did remove and reseat it. I will try this next time I'm over there. I think they have four sticks of 1GB DDR2, what are the chances it all failed?

With four sticks it's very unlikely that it's all gone bad simultaneously. The likelihood of even two RAM sticks going bad so as to inhibit the POST process is something I don't recall seeing (outside of major electrical damage or really old cheap RAM).

The only way all the RAM is dead is if there was a severe electric issue. I doubt that's the issue though as the motherboard should be completely dead after that kind of event.

• Locked thread