Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I would love to see GSP get a ROH KO off of a takedown threat to body-shot setup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

https://twitter.com/TonyFergusonXT/status/919085912763482112

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Those are so loving dumb

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Nierbo posted:

Those are so loving dumb

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Snowman_McK posted:

He was losing until he cheated, so you're probably wrong.

This defence is fundamentally stupid (yes, there are standards for people even if they hit people for a living) but it doesn't even apply to Bisping, who has possibly the thinnest skin of any UFC fighter.

His career has been 720 years of mediocrity and included getting decisively outboxed by Matt Hamill, so it wouldn't be hard to improve.

drat, great points. (don't want this lil bitch to report me to his computer daddy for mean words)

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I thought Bisping looked great against Silva and against Rockhold. I don't think it's fair to put it down to Rockhold being cocky rather than Bisping exploiting his poor defense. Though then Bisping looked bad against Den Henderson and still managed to circle into his right hand multiple times despite being it's most famous victim a hundred years ago.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I am Otis posted:

I would let jon jones drive the kids I don't have to school.

Oh for sure, he wouldn't let anything get in his way or slow him down from getting to his destination.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

They can list whatever heights they want, ain't nobody in this picture higher than Bruce Buffer

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Kilometers Davis posted:

That’s an odd way to excuse something that plenty of fighters have no issue with. The “not a role model” approach is another way of taking the :smug: IM POLITICALLY INCORRECT :smug: stance. Just, like, don’t be lovely dudes. It’s not hard and assuming everyone in the fight game can’t help but be dicks yelling slurs is a waste of a good platform that could reach the folks who think that garbage is okay and normal.

words

Snowman_McK posted:

He was losing until he cheated, so you're probably wrong.

This defence is fundamentally stupid (yes, there are standards for people even if they hit people for a living) but it doesn't even apply to Bisping, who has possibly the thinnest skin of any UFC fighter.

His career has been 720 years of mediocrity and included getting decisively outboxed by Matt Hamill, so it wouldn't be hard to improve.

gently caress OFF

Punching someone in the face is objectively worse than calling someone a fag. Go away please

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
bisping said that the hendricks beating scared gsp away from fighting for years and that gsp picked him because he thinks it will be the easiest title fight

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Both true.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

What is the absolutely official way for measuring reach/wingspan? Which height/reach ratios are the weird ones? Don’t just say Jon Jones please.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
and bisping said last time he was in vegas he dropped more change than freddie roach at the vending machine

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Captain Log posted:

What is the absolutely official way for measuring reach/wingspan? Which height/reach ratios are the weird ones? Don’t just say Jon Jones please.

Artem Lobov

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
You'd think Woodley would be considered the easier fight given how Rory took him apart.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Captain Log posted:

In mma? Spread your arms and they measure tip-to-tip. But you also allow the tape to lovingly caress the topographical low spots between them. It's an arm length and musculature map, I guess?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Eat This Glob posted:

In mma? Spread your arms and they measure tip-to-tip. But you also allow the tape to lovingly caress the topographical low spots between them. It's an arm length and musculature map, I guess?

Yep, MMA.

I’ll be damned if I’m going to read commission rulesbooks, but I’m curious what would be the closest to official.

Ahaha Mr. Stretch T-Rex

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too

Captain Log posted:

Kevin Lee just fought and is billed at 5'9" with a 77" reach (the same reach as the 6'3" Anderson Silva), which is a ratio of 1:1.115, very slightly higher than Jon Jones' ratio.

A "normal" person has a 1:1 ratio, and Artem Lobov (5'9" with a 65" reach) has a ratio of 1:0.942.

MysteryNad
Dec 5, 2003

Here in my guard
I feel safest of all
I can lock up my guard
It's the only way to fight
In guard
I don't think there is some official procedure to measure how long someone's arms are. Some teammates or a really low paid UFC employee probably tell the fighter to pretend they're Shogun and use a tape measure. The commission obviously doesn't care since they let freaks like Nick Newell and Artem Lobov fight.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I have a wider reach than Brock

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Kilometers Davis posted:

I have a wider reach than Brock

Jesus, are you a mech?

Follow up to the reach thing - what point would a single arm be measured from? It could just be me, but I swear reach didn’t mean wingspan when I was watching boxing in the eighties and nineties.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

tesilential posted:

gently caress OFF

Punching someone in the face is objectively worse than calling someone a fag. Go away please

What about calling someone a fag while punching them in the face? Which is what's actually being discussed.

Captain Log posted:

Jesus, are you a mech?

Follow up to the reach thing - what point would a single arm be measured from? It could just be me, but I swear reach didn’t mean wingspan when I was watching boxing in the eighties and nineties.

I'm pretty sure that's why they do it fingertip to fingertip, because otherwise, the exact line between 'shoulder' and 'arm' would be pretty subjective.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

tesilential posted:

gently caress OFF

nice meltdown

El Roncho
Oct 15, 2006

I'm not necessarily proud of this but I'm gonna leave it here anyways.
It's all fun and games until an impressionable mind hears a fighter use a harmful slur and proceeds to lead a life laden with hate crimes y'all.

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too

Captain Log posted:

Jesus, are you a mech?

I assume in boxing they don't care how long your fingers are either, whereas in MMA eyepoking range is an important factor (also grappling).

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Eat This Glob posted:

In a perfect, pointlessly pedantic world, there'd be two giant bookends that you could move apart with your wingspan, so they'd only measure the linear distance between your fingertips.
I imagine running the tape behind your shoulder blades would be flatter than going across the chest.

Lucasar posted:

I assume in boxing they don't care how long your fingers are either, whereas in MMA eyepoking range is an important factor (also grappling).

I definitely recall boxing tale of the tapes showing arm length.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
GSP has long arms but his reach is so insane because they go tip to tip across the back and he's got a giant back & shoulders (from steroids). See also: Brock Lesnar having like a 7' wingspan despite not having that long of arms.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Captain Log posted:

Jesus, are you a mech?

I've got Jim Lampley saying "Reach measured from the armpit to the end of the fist" burned into my memory, so that's what boxing do

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

LobsterMobster posted:

I've got Jim Lampley saying "Reach measured from the armpit to the end of the fist" burned into my memory, so that's what boxing do

Thank you!

-

I’m five eleven but have to special order XXL gloves if they have fingers. The smokers I did (Muay Thai) used 20 oz gloves, so I never got to feel the joy of punching someone into reading glasses.

I think I’m missing some sort of calling that involves poking.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Tfreg is going to choke out Conor in the 3rd. You read it here first.

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005
On the scale of stupid and racist poo poo Bisping has done, where does throwing a water bottle at the nearest black guy after a white guy insulted him on TUF rate? That was where I started thinking maybe he was a dumb POS. I'm sad that he's probably going to grind out a decision against GSP. If we lived in the best time line, GSP would heel hook that chav into retirement.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Acinonyx posted:

On the scale of stupid and racist poo poo Bisping has done, where does throwing a water bottle at the nearest black guy after a white guy insulted him on TUF rate? That was where I started thinking maybe he was a dumb POS. I'm sad that he's probably going to grind out a decision against GSP. If we lived in the best time line, GSP would heel hook that chav into retirement.

If it's a grinding type fight I think it goes to GSP and bisping's best chance is a striking battle

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

mewse posted:

If it's a grinding type fight I think it goes to GSP and bisping's best chance is a striking battle

I think Bisping has a much better chance in a fight that tests cardio than an old, overweight, hasn’t fought in years, GSP.

El Roncho
Oct 15, 2006

I'm not necessarily proud of this but I'm gonna leave it here anyways.
Dat Bisping Grind

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I think Bisping has a much better chance in a fight that tests cardio than an old, overweight, hasn’t fought in years, GSP.

Yeah this. I honestly think Bisping grinds him down enough to actually get the finish.

mewse
May 2, 2006

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I could see that. I was thinking a grindy fight like a wrestlefucking which is basically GSP's forte

freud mayweather
Jan 29, 2009

mewse posted:

I could see that. I was thinking a grindy fight like a wrestlefucking which is basically GSP's forte

gsp hasn't been able to have that kind of fight since his first knee surgery, because he can't really complete takedowns anymore.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Acinonyx posted:

In my experience, and I've "lived" all over there, Europeans literally do not understand the inherent black/white racism in America. I remember bursting into laughter at a huge sign in Germany that said, "BLACK MUSIC" over the hip hop section.

This absolutely does not excuse racism from Europeans. But that moment with Bisping didn't strike me as being "racist." Just horrifically rear end in a top hat-ish.

If you want to see an English person get good and American style racist, mention Pakistanis. Or Turks to Germans.

Because I just mentioned race in a loving MMA thread, I'm going to go hide for the next hundred posts.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Hendricks beat the fear into GSP’s heart, wonder if he’s gotten over it in the last 5 years or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
He seems to have gotten over it what with making movies and relaxing while Hendricks has wilted without his PEDs.

• Locked thread