Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

One of the things that has made me cynical about Amazing Tech Future is that it feels we're just getting iterations and updates of currently existing things. There have been a few game-changers, but it doesn't feel as rapid (based on my life) as I've been told.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Smartphones have basically been stuck in a rut user-functionality wise for almost a decade. When I got my first iPhone I used it to call, text, watch videos and browse the web. Now almost 10 years later I have a OnePlus with absurdly stronger specs which I use to call, text, watch videos and browse the web. There's lots of cool stuff going on in the software side of things but hard-ware wise we're getting incremental improvements of screens, cameras and general hardware with innovations relegated to gimmicks which rarely stick.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

MiddleOne posted:

Smartphones have basically been stuck in a rut user-functionality wise for almost a decade. When I got my first iPhone I used it to call, text, watch videos and browse the web. Now almost 10 years later I have a OnePlus with absurdly stronger specs which I use to call, text, watch videos and browse the web. There's lots of cool stuff going on in the software side of things but hard-ware wise we're getting incremental improvements of screens, cameras and general hardware with innovations relegated to gimmicks which rarely stick.

I bet none of this changes until someone invents a significantly better type of battery. There is only so much you can do in making displays and processors energy-efficient.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

withak posted:

I bet none of this changes until someone invents a significantly better type of battery. There is only so much you can do in making displays and processors energy-efficient.

Nuclear battery powered phones :getin:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

blowfish posted:

Nuclear battery powered phones :getin:

Living in the Fallout timeline would make a lot of sense now.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

mycomancy posted:

How do I get on this?

Think of something poor people use everyday.

Then "invent" something that is the same thing, but with disdain towards poor people.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

MiddleOne posted:

oh, i dunno. I went out the other night to see a band in a cellar in a pub. I usually take a 2012-era compact camera (some Panasonic thing). The camera was having a hard time of it even at ISO 1600, so I tried with my 2016 mobile phone (Samsung A5 2016). The phone photos were just ridiculously better. (Gabriel Moreno pics camera, the rest phone with no flash. Some of those I tweaked, most I didn't even have to.) I can see why ~no-one even bothers with compact cameras any more. It's just a little thing, but sufficient applied incremental improvement turns out to make a substantive difference.

divabot fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Oct 15, 2017

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

MiddleOne posted:

A gimmick is just an innovation that failed.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

divabot posted:

oh, i dunno. I went out the other night to see a band in a cellar in a pub. I usually take a 2012-era compact camera (some Panasonic thing). The camera was having a hard time of it even at ISO 1600, so I tried with my 2016 mobile phone (Samsung A5 2016). The phone photos were just ridiculously better. (Gabriel Moreno pics camera, the rest phone with no flash. Some of those I tweaked, most I didn't even have to.) I can see why ~no-one even bothers with compact cameras any more. It's just a little thing, but sufficient applied incremental improvement turns out to make a substantive difference.

Yeah there have been some crazy improvements on the core functions of smartphones, but not too many core functions have emerged. Apps aren't really there either, they're neat but seem to be stuck in a rut of trying to do things they can't. Like the core function of Uber was just "hey here is exactly where I am and where I want to be, please summon somebody I can pay to drive me from one to the other" but for some reason they decided that what they needed to do was completely change society immediately

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

T-man posted:

Are you tired of paying for your freeloading roommate's showers? Try Clnr, the world's first Bluetooth enabled water tracking system. Simply use your smart phone to sign in to your sink, shower, or toilet, and our patented Misanthrope accounting system will charge your PayPal, Venmo, Google Wallet, or Bitcoin ONLY for the water that YOU use. Here at Clnr, we're ready to disrupt the water monopoly with our unprecedented per-use business model.

Sign up for our free trial today, where you get 1 minute of faucet time, 2 minutes of shower, and half a flush FOR FREE.

(Current water rates: 2.25/gallon outsourced to your local water delivery system)

Choose from two options, Clnr Classic which dispatches a soot-caked urchin to deliver two buckets of fresh water balanced on their shoulders with a pole, or Clnr Crystal which disrupts the water distribution industry by having our Hyrdroperators splice our water directly to the pipes you want!

*Not responsible for exploding gas or sewer lines when drilling indiscriminately in your neighbors yard to install the pipe splicing equipment*

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

anonumos posted:

ASSol for short?

Plus if you abbreviate solutions to Sol you can justify making your logo an rear end in a top hat a sun

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

GrandpaPants posted:

Then "invent" something that is the same thing, but with disdain towards poor people.

Please add to the OP. Also, after CLNR is launched I will disrupt it with SHTR, focusing solely on the toilet experience.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Ynglaur posted:

Please add to the OP. Also, after CLNR is launched I will disrupt it with SHTR, focusing solely on the toilet experience.

You may have already been beaten to it: https://youtu.be/DJklHwoYgBQ

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

GrandpaPants posted:

This needs to be summarized into a new thread title somehow.

"The fall of unicorns: something poor people use every day + disdain towards poor people = VC CASH MONEY"

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

T-man posted:

Are you tired of paying for your freeloading roommate's showers? Try Clnr, the world's first Bluetooth enabled water tracking system. Simply use your smart phone to sign in to your sink, shower, or toilet, and our patented Misanthrope accounting system will charge your PayPal, Venmo, Google Wallet, or Bitcoin ONLY for the water that YOU use. Here at Clnr, we're ready to disrupt the water monopoly with our unprecedented per-use business model.

Sign up for our free trial today, where you get 1 minute of faucet time, 2 minutes of shower, and half a flush FOR FREE.

(Current water rates: 2.25/gallon outsourced to your local water delivery system)

My lawyers will be in touch regarding your patent infringement. :mad:

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

GrandpaPants posted:

chilli

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Absurd Alhazred posted:

This needs to be summarized into a new thread title somehow.

"The fall of unicorns: something poor people use every day + disdain towards poor people = VC CASH MONEY"

VC’s adore robot chores for indigent poors.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

duz posted:

A gimmick is just an innovation that failed.

Agreed, but that's also my point. For example, the company that created iPhone's touchscreen fingerprint checker is currently busy going bankrupt because in one fell swoop demand went from absurdly high to barely existing when the industry moved to the next hardware gimmick. :v:

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Are you tired of having to shop for chilli ingredients? Too on-the-go to sit around a pot all day? Why not try Soylli, the chilli of the modern era! Simply add our patented powder, meat flavaflakes (TM), and soaked bean mixture to hot water and wait, nutritionally complete chilli is ready is available in 30 seconds. All ingredients are vegan, and artistically produced to maximize ChilliTone, the scientifically proven best color for chilli that increases flavor and chi. Commercial Soylli dispensers are also available for your conference room, startup, or home!

Too spicy? Why not try our "Hardcore Coder" flavor, made with Cool Ranch Doritos.

($10/pack, may contain heavy metals, not for scrubs.)

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

MiddleOne posted:

The lack of improvements in phone cameras over the last 4 odd years is incredibly annoying. The Nokia Lumia 1020 came out in 2013 and had a 41megapixel camera with a huge lens, and a proper xenon flash. Phones released in 2017 still don't compare to it in hardware quality.

I know its only a niche of people who want very high quality cameras on their phones, but surely on a worldwide basis its enough to sustain at least one camera-focused model of a generic series like the Samsung Galaxy S-series or Sony Xperia series.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
smartphones were able to grab a rapid share by combining all the different gadgets people would carry (phone, camera, wallet, etc.) but it can't invent new gadget-functionality out of thin air. this is why folks like me still don't use a smartphone, because all my needs are adequately covered by the existing spread of gadgets and we're not sufficiently enticed by "a phone, but you can check twitter"

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Blut posted:

The lack of improvements in phone cameras over the last 4 odd years is incredibly annoying. The Nokia Lumia 1020 came out in 2013 and had a 41megapixel camera with a huge lens, and a proper xenon flash. Phones released in 2017 still don't compare to it in hardware quality.

I know its only a niche of people who want very high quality cameras on their phones, but surely on a worldwide basis its enough to sustain at least one camera-focused model of a generic series like the Samsung Galaxy S-series or Sony Xperia series.

Mere high pixel count on the sensor tends to be useless for image quality.

These people review smartphone camera quality though and they say things have progressed quite a lot: https://www.dxomark.com/category/mobile-reviews/ and compared to the Lumia 1020's performance a ton of new phones put out better pictures, https://www.dxomark.com/nokia-lumia-1020-overview-has-the-best-got-better/

feller
Jul 5, 2006

boner confessor posted:

smartphones were able to grab a rapid share by combining all the different gadgets people would carry (phone, camera, wallet, etc.) but it can't invent new gadget-functionality out of thin air. this is why folks like me still don't use a smartphone, because all my needs are adequately covered by the existing spread of gadgets and we're not sufficiently enticed by "a phone, but you can check twitter"

i bet you don't even own a tv, also thanks for sharing for the 18th time

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Senor Dog posted:

i bet you don't even own a tv, also thanks for sharing for the 18th time

you're welcome, also people pay thousands of dollars to go to rehab to experience my serene phone-free lifestyle lol

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

fishmech posted:

Mere high pixel count on the sensor tends to be useless for image quality.

These people review smartphone camera quality though and they say things have progressed quite a lot: https://www.dxomark.com/category/mobile-reviews/ and compared to the Lumia 1020's performance a ton of new phones put out better pictures, https://www.dxomark.com/nokia-lumia-1020-overview-has-the-best-got-better/

What? Neither of those links says that. Have you read any actual reviews that focus specifically on comparing current phone camera hardware quality to the Lumia 1020 or are you just spouting uninformed nonsense as usual?

Camera software has improved significantly over the years, but even the top rated phone on DXOMark - the Pixel2 - still has a significantly smaller sensor than the Lumia 1020. Thats a ridiculous state of affairs considering its 4 years newer.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

boner confessor posted:

you're welcome, also people pay thousands of dollars to go to rehab to experience my serene phone-free lifestyle lol

those people are morons, op

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Blut posted:

What? Neither of those links says that. Have you read any actual reviews that focus specifically on comparing current phone camera hardware quality to the Lumia 1020 or are you just spouting uninformed nonsense as usual?

Camera software has improved significantly over the years, but even the top rated phone on DXOMark - the Pixel2 - still has a significantly smaller sensor than the Lumia 1020. Thats a ridiculous state of affairs considering its 4 years newer.

It doesn't matter that the sensors are smaller on new cameras, just having a big sensor or high megapixel count is useless when the system can't make use of that.

If you're the kind of person who thinks the only thing that counts is big numbers then sure phone cameras have "stagnated". And if you only ever take pictures in brilliantly lit room on a perfect tripod, then modern photos won't look better. But modern cameras actually handle everything from low light to full dynamic range to shaky hands much better, and they produce much better pictures.

Remember, Nokia's whole "41 megapixels! 854 square mm sensor!" stuff was a gimmick from the dying days of Symbian recycled with a slightly larger sensor and slightly better camera software for a Windows Phone-based replacement.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Oct 16, 2017

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
How do I monetize nerds' classist disdain for people that work outside and for areas with population densities that are less than three digits?

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib

Star Man posted:

How do I monetize nerds' classist disdain for people that work outside and for areas with population densities that are less than three digits?

Sell "experience packages" to techies where they get to operate a jackhammer and skid loader

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
poo poo, out of all the cellphones available from all the different manufactures, nobody makes an AAA-quality phone with a hardware keyboard. All the people clinging to ancient Androids w/keyboards, and nobody in the US wants them as customers?

Nobody makes a top-end phone with all the latest features that's heavily reinforced either, wouldn't you think you could carve out a profitable niche with a chunky solid phone made of a machined block of stainless that protrudes way past the front glass so that even a hard corner drop on concrete won't break it? Market it as the MACHO PHONE, like they do with pickup trucks.

Nobody makes a premium phone with a fuckoff huge battery, like three times the capacity of current high end phones, marketed to people who have to go a long, long time between charges. Is that shortsighted or what?

So no, I'm not surprised that nobody makes a new phone especially geared toward photography buffs, with a better lens system due to a thick size, rather than endlessly trying to get thinner at the expense of usability. It seems like cellphone manufacturers are all sniffing each other's rear end rather than carving out specialized models like...pretty much all other companies.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

A Man With A Plan posted:

Sell "experience packages" to techies where they get to operate a jackhammer and skid loader

But what if I also want to kill them?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

JnnyThndrs posted:

Nobody makes a top-end phone with all the latest features that's heavily reinforced either, wouldn't you think you could carve out a profitable niche with a chunky solid phone made of a machined block of stainless that protrudes way past the front glass so that even a hard corner drop on concrete won't break it? Market it as the MACHO PHONE, like they do with pickup trucks.

This has been tried and hasn't been terribly successful. I have a CAT S60 (not actually made by Caterpillar, surprise! Name is just under license) that I do not use as a regular phone but use when working due to it's party trick: it's a FLIR camera.

Someone licensed DeWalt's name and made a similarly now-long-in-the-tooth ruggedized phone.

Turns out these things simply aren't successful enough to consistently release modern top tier versions. While both are still available, who even knows if it's nothing more than selling off new old stock?

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Lmao
https://twitter.com/hopestillflies/status/919630251189309440

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

JnnyThndrs posted:

poo poo, out of all the cellphones available from all the different manufactures, nobody makes an AAA-quality phone with a hardware keyboard. All the people clinging to ancient Androids w/keyboards, and nobody in the US wants them as customers?

Nobody makes a premium phone with a fuckoff huge battery, like three times the capacity of current high end phones, marketed to people who have to go a long, long time between charges. Is that shortsighted or what?

So no, I'm not surprised that nobody makes a new phone especially geared toward photography buffs, with a better lens system due to a thick size, rather than endlessly trying to get thinner at the expense of usability. It seems like cellphone manufacturers are all sniffing each other's rear end rather than carving out specialized models like...pretty much all other companies.

There's like 50 people still actually clinging to those, most of the rest have found acceptable cases or otherwise attachments that can do the job.

You'll never get a phone with the top end features that's heavily reinforced just like those Toughbooks they sell to the military and people who travel a lot aren't top of the line laptops but behind a little bit in functionality - ensuring the fancy newest display, the fastest processor, the best speakers and all that can actually stand up to being kicked around a ton and otherwise stand up to conditions. Put simply, the very latest stuff is often too fragile, and you need lead time to harden it up. Just putting a chunky case around a regular phone isn't going to make it ruggedized.

Everyone who wants such a thing already has massive battery cases available for a selection of phones, or is using one of the dwindling supply of phones with removable back covers so you can slap your own large batteries in.

And once again, phone manufacturers do make phones geared towards photography, they just don't do it by using specific gimmicks popular nearly 5 years ago before manufacturers seriously considered the diminishing returns.

If you really want a very good camera that runs Android, Samsung made digital cameras that ran Android for a while, and could function as full Android phones, the Galaxy Camera (1, 2 and 3) and Galaxy NX Camera. Here's the product page for one of them, you can see it was basically a chunky phone with the big full zoom assembly lens and a bulge out for a comfortable shutter position: http://www.samsung.com/uk/cameras/galaxy-camera-wifi-gc100/

Of course they eventually dropped that line because they just weren't that popular, people were generally satisfied by a quick bluetooth/wifi transfer from their more typical compact digital cameras to their phones.

Motronic posted:

This has been tried and hasn't been terribly successful. I have a CAT S60 (not actually made by Caterpillar, surprise! Name is just under license) that I do not use as a regular phone but use when working due to it's party trick: it's a FLIR camera.

Someone licensed DeWalt's name and made a similarly now-long-in-the-tooth ruggedized phone.

Turns out these things simply aren't successful enough to consistently release modern top tier versions. While both are still available, who even knows if it's nothing more than selling off new old stock?

There's always a few that are just a year or so behind, like this: https://www.amazon.com/Ulefone-Armor-Proofing-Android-FDD-LTE/dp/B074Z48DC3?tag=toughgadget-20

Of course, like most of these devices, it's not exactly a big brand name. But you get a full 1080p screen, Android 7, and a pretty decent CPU even for today.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Star Man posted:

Monetize getting them the gently caress out of there when they're young. Ndentr gets you out of town, teaches you a trade, and only takes a small cut of the profits.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Motronic posted:

I just wonder if you had some serious marketing muscle to get the idea out there, combined with a Good Phone in terms of the technology, not yesterday's semi-budget hardware. I'm a blue collar dude and keep fairly abreast of tech developments, and I've not heard about anything like that, nor have I seen it at Frys or BB or other retailers.

I mean, poo poo how many people have gone through three or four phones in a few years and would be willing to shell out for a tough one? I just think as phones slow their pace of development, it would behoove manufacturers to segment their products in categories other than price.

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
smartphone more like fartphone

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

JnnyThndrs posted:

I just wonder if you had some serious marketing muscle to get the idea out there, combined with a Good Phone in terms of the technology, not yesterday's semi-budget hardware. I'm a blue collar dude and keep fairly abreast of tech developments, and I've not heard about anything like that, nor have I seen it at Frys or BB or other retailers.

I mean, poo poo how many people have gone through three or four phones in a few years and would be willing to shell out for a tough one? I just think as phones slow their pace of development, it would behoove manufacturers to segment their products in categories other than price.

Again, you can't do that, it has to be behind the latest and greatest to ensure it's actually tough, instead of something like a Galaxy S7 Active where it releases the same time and pretty much is the same hardware as the S7 was - but all it really can do is stand up to drops slightly better and be a little more dust and water proof.

If you want the latest tech immediately, but tougher, then you just have to buy one of those bulky cases with all the trimmings. They will get the job done.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

fishmech posted:

There's like 50 people still actually clinging to those, most of the rest have found acceptable cases or otherwise attachments that can do the job.

You'll never get a phone with the top end features that's heavily reinforced just like those Toughbooks they sell to the military and people who travel a lot aren't top of the line laptops but behind a little bit in functionality - ensuring the fancy newest display, the fastest processor, the best speakers and all that can actually stand up to being kicked around a ton and otherwise stand up to conditions. Put simply, the very latest stuff is often too fragile, and you need lead time to harden it up. Just putting a chunky case around a regular phone isn't going to make it ruggedized.

nah, that's not really the problem. I've had to source ruggedized computers for work.

Military wants a long term supply of stuff, longer than any sort of commercial product lines tend to go for. So a lot of those vendors will design for not state of the art, but a bit below it assuming they can get their hands on a stable supply line. (I know of one vendor who likes to go for the embedded Intel CPUs as opposed to the prior tick/tock cycles since they run a longer production cycle)

actual ruggedization doesn't have poo poo to do with the features other than it gets to be a bitch around -30 F for LCDs as it can crack the display, but thats kind of it. most temperature stuff kind of is a non-factor, most electronic components are going to be rated in the 100F+ range and solder reflow is somewhere around 160F or 180F, and if the vendor isn't doing something stupid, they're probably also confomally coating the boards with paralyne or urethane to kill humidity and tin whisker issues

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
vendors might test one version of a product family and then say everything else is by similarity

the actual MIL-STD-810 testing for thist stuff probably only takes a month or two, depending on test house availability and ability to automate procedure for

we once paid a environmental test lab technician to spend 10 days staring a st a screen to make sure the display didn't waver when we did temperature cycling

that was fun