Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The last season's thread was archived before there was any discussion of a thread for the new season. I looked around and couldn't find a thread for the latest season but if I'm really dumb (which I am) and missed it just let me know and I'll close this one.

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend is a musical comedy created by Aline Brosh and Rachel Bloom, it's also very best show that absolutely no one is watching. Breaking with the grand tradition of amazing shows that don't get watched it has actually been renewed for a third season which premiered last night at 8/7c on The CW.

For current viewers
The primary theme and set-up of season three is that Rebecca will become a classic crazy ex-girlfriend out for revenge on the men who wronged her. Obviously she's always been a crazy ex-girlfriend but the newest season is doing it in a much more direct manner than we've seen before. Instead of only the viewer and some of her friends being aware of Rebecca's plans and motivations now the whole cast will be aware of what happened between her and Josh. I'm really excited to see how the season handles the "generic" ex-girlfriend trope and I really think they'll do some amazing things with it. I'll add much more to the OP after work tonight, I just couldn't believe we still didn't have a thread for one of the best shows currently airing! . I'll add a run down of the main characters and where they are both narratively and thematically in the story after the events of the first two seasons like I did for the season two OP. For now though I really want to hear what everyone else thought of the season premier and the latest songs?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lo5pqaOjNk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwZyO2XHS50

For new viewers
I know you're already rolling your eyes thinking "A musical comedy doesn't sound like an amazing show.". I was a skeptic too but the following two songs convinced me to give it a go because they were catchy as hell and also extremely funny. I'm glad they did convince me because I ended up watching an incredibly funny show that deals with human problems in a very real way. A show where things aren't simply fixed at the end of an episode or with a moving speech. Problems take time and growth to work through and the show reflects that across a number of characters. It also sets up and then subverts classic TV show clichés constantly in a really interesting way. In short it rules hard.

Some posters from the last thread recommend different introductory songs and some recommend just trying the first episode rather than watching songs out of context. These two are just songs I think are great and are the ones that I saw before I had any idea what the show was about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4hh1YhDfbA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIJKuxzWAGs

If you're still with me and not entirely made of straw then I suppose it's time to explain what the show's about. Fortunately the opening credits from the first season (don't worry it's 30 seconds long and I'll be here to hold your hand) explains the premise quickly and funnily!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzY3EaJTuJk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Numbuh 212
Feb 19, 2013

I loved the premiere and thought the new songs were great. I thought "Let's Generalize About Men" hit just the right tone, and I love where Nathaniel is going. I was a little confused - do we have a new theme song, or was there not one? I may have watched this episode through less-than-orthodox methods, so I don't know if it was just edited out, but there wasn't one on Youtube when I looked either.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Me five minute ago: Man I really hoped Netflix would've picked this up for UK distribution.

Me now: Oh poo poo they did. :aaaaa:

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
Cupcakes from Jesus! :catholic:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I think anyone who's considering watching should just go for episode one, but here are my picks for best songs (that don't need context) anyway:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pd1m7mVe5Ik

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erM-txyAVi4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5e7844P77Is

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Steve2911 posted:

Me five minute ago: Man I really hoped Netflix would've picked this up for UK distribution.

Me now: Oh poo poo they did. :aaaaa:

They were publishing new episodes weekly all last season too!

Premiere was great, lookin forward to how this goes

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

revaaaaaaaaaaanche

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
My Top 3 from Crazy ex-Girlfriend:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_pi8yBaooQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBz8wobOaoc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HayIkHCXTBM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmbLB4OIuao

I know what I like :haw:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

https://youtu.be/zgUKQCVieWM

https://youtu.be/elrDmZxtLtU

While I liked both the new songs I'm not sure if #notallmen needed a new anthem.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I was real happy someone decided to tackle this whole dumbass “men are trash” twitter thing btw. Very worried I’m opening up a huge can of worms here, but I just find it excessively stupid.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I asked a few days ago in the general discussion thread if there would be a new thread. Thanks for making it. I'd suggest swapping the order to show the stuff for new viewers first. Feels more natural that way.

To be honest, I didn't feel this episode quite as much as previous ones. What I love most about this show is this genuine feeling of trying way to hard to find personal happiness and clinging to meaningless little things. I can relate to that. But I guess, I never really felt an urge for revànge.
But then again, it's not like I'd stop watching. Rachel Bloom looked astonishingly gorgeous with that dark hair and the white dress.

For some reason, I thought that Whitefeather was his original name. But the fact that he actually haphazardly changed it the moment he knew that he was part native, is way more fitting.

RIP Valencia.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Oct 14, 2017

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I doubt the whole season is gonna be laser focused on RAYVAWNCH. This is a good stage setter for some of the throughlines of the season but the show will continue to be about finding what really makes you happy/dealing with and understanding mental illness.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

This was a good episode.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
I truly enjoyed now broken Rebecca is this season.

Also Paula seemed like she wanted to break up with husband and I wish she had gone back on her deal.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Great start to the new season.

Does anyone else get irrationally bugged by songs that don't involve Rebecca in any way? I love the idea that she is actually experiencing the world as a musical and so they are part of her character development.

Ran through the last few episodes of season 2 in preparation for season 3 starting, and man the "Tell me I'm ok" song is heartbreaking.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I like the idea that the only reason the other characters have started getting solo musical moments is because of how Rebecca is rubbing off on them, best exemplified in this premiere where this big les mis like musical number is happening because of her even if she's not in it.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Senor Tron posted:

Ran through the last few episodes of season 2 in preparation for season 3 starting, and man the "Tell me I'm ok" song is heartbreaking.

I didn't remember this song, then i listened to it, now I'm sad.

I love you, thank you.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Zaggitz posted:

I like the idea that the only reason the other characters have started getting solo musical moments is because of how Rebecca is rubbing off on them, best exemplified in this premiere where this big les mis like musical number is happening because of her even if she's not in it.

It's also completely about Rebecca, so it still makes sense for it to be in her head.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
They've said that Rebecca's musical numbers are infecting other people, as early as the Thanksgiving episode from Season 1, it got Greg to sing about how he'll never leave West Covina.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Escobarbarian posted:

this whole dumbass “men are trash” twitter thing
Huh?

That "Can anyone hear me? Am I dead? *gasp* How did I die?" was the funniest bit of the episode by far.

sbaldrick posted:

Also Paula seemed like she wanted to break up with husband and I wish she had gone back on her deal.
I thought that at the start but by the end I'd come around to the idea that maybe she was just getting in her own way and she wanted to forgive him and go back to how they were before but couldn't reconcile that with how she thought she should feel.

Senor Tron posted:

Does anyone else get irrationally bugged by songs that don't involve Rebecca in any way? I love the idea that she is actually experiencing the world as a musical and so they are part of her character development.
That's a neat idea, but I think it would put unnecessary restrictions on who could sing and when.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Tiggum posted:

That's a neat idea, but I think it would put unnecessary restrictions on who could sing and when.

It is a neat idea. And it's also canonically what's happening. When she experienced music it was the only time she felt truly happy. That's why she imagines musical numbers to cope withemotional distressing moments. She almost literally said that at some point. Probably to Dr. Akopian. Speaking of which, she might need another session.

And yeah, her little tick is simply rubbing off on other people. But the opening song is probably in her imagination. She knows that the town would be talking about her, after all. And it feels a bit more mean spirited. I don't think White Josh would actually ask “what's a woman without her man?.“

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I assume whenever she's not around for a song she's imagining it, and will base it off what others have told her about their situations and her own assumptions.

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed
Good solid character episode but not a laugh out loud funny episode.

My take on Paula in this episode: Paula was trying to use a rational solution to an emotional problem. There is no number of sign ins and tests that could fix insecurity that is coming from inside herself. But feeling like a badass problem solving protolawyer sure helps. So when she reclaimed her own badassery by taking on a revenge suit with Rebecca in conjunction with her husband taking the logical rational steps to regain trust, that's when she could feel secure again.

So I see Paula having a harder time letting go of the suit than Rebecca, who is not nearly as invested in it. Similar to season 1!

Bossy Bear
Apr 16, 2012

Numbuh 212 posted:

I was a little confused - do we have a new theme song, or was there not one? I may have watched this episode through less-than-orthodox methods, so I don't know if it was just edited out, but there wasn't one on Youtube when I looked either.

The theme song will be on episode 2 this week, and here's the sneak peek!

Bossy Bear fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Oct 20, 2017

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
think you got your text and your link mixed up there bud

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

We hope this helps

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Secret Tim episode??

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Tim....

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

the buzzing sound of her electric toothbrush in the bathroom,

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

TIM SONG

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

HIT THOSE HIGH NOTES TIM HOLY poo poo

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

I think I'll major on Christmas :haw:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Really good episode. That ending was intense. NO REBECCA STOP REVEALING ALL THAT STUFF

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11L6hafqMTo

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Josh's grandfather isn't making it out of this season alive.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
What an episode. I'm surprised they just managed to do all that much and not have any of it feel tacked on.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The songs I enjoy the most in Crazy Ex Girlfriend are the ones that are riffs or motifs from Broadway. I thought season 2 hit the bottom on some of their musical numbers including the Bruno Mars-motherhood song. This is just a long winded way to say that all the songs in Season 3 are killing it.

While Season 2 was up and down after the second episode, season 3 is off to a good start.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
"I get to be the tiger..."

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Harlock posted:

The songs I enjoy the most in Crazy Ex Girlfriend are the ones that are riffs or motifs from Broadway. I thought season 2 hit the bottom on some of their musical numbers including the Bruno Mars-motherhood song. This is just a long winded way to say that all the songs in Season 3 are killing it.

I actually disagree with this. I don't mind a Broadway song now and again but for me half the fun of the songs in the show is that they always manage to hit the style parody just right. I really liked Generalize about Men from the previous episode, and "Hey, West Covina" which is pretty much a riff on Piano Man is probably my favorite song they've ever done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Heather featuring heavily this week?

Also, yay more lil Rebecca

• Locked thread