Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

Cody was always always bad.

This was never the IWC until maybe shortly before he left. I never disliked him at all. Good wrestler, great heel personality on the mic, the Doctor Doom stuff was hilarious and good because wrestling heels should be kinda over the top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

MassRafTer posted:

Twitter loved that Cena match.

ok but it was bad

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

musicals are garbage

Jackie D posted:

ok but it was bad

Yeah it was boring as all hell except where cena was being insanely charismatic.

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

He was alright a few times

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

musicals are garbage
Cody's feud with Stephen Amell was surprisingly fun and well done.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

He made Wade Barrett into the king of space or some poo poo and that's great

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Roman Reigns is the biggest star since Steve Austin and the rock combined

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

The thing is, it'd be so easy to get internet fans to like, or at least hate Roman less.

Have him show some of his real personality and play some vidja games with his cousins and Xavier on UpUpDownDown.

Even if he didn't do anything cool or fun, seeing him interact with the Uso brothers goofiness as a real person would soften fans views of him and make watching him win all the time easier to take.

Edit: I also like Cody the dork, and am glad he is happy/happier away from the monster that is Vince/WWE

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

MassRafTer posted:

It's not quite at Undertaker/Kobashi level yet.

Fuccccckkkk you just reminded me we never got Undertaker/Kobashi :smith:

Two Burning Hammers :aaa:

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Times of India posted:

Having a WWE Champion from the India, will of course boost WWE's popularity in the country, but apart from that, what do you think has been the reasons for your success in such a short span of time?

[Jinder:] When I debuted in 2011 in WWE, Indian audience was still very big, but I was not a champion at that time. I had to earn that opportunity; it came with lots of ups and downs. I was released in 2014, and I did not comeback as number one contender facing Orton; I came back at the bottom of the card, opening matches. Week after week I was performing in Main Event, Superstars and I slowly improved, worked my way up and now I am WWE Champion and it is a testimony to my hard work and now I am even more motivated to continue to work even harder, because I truly want to establish myself and establish India as a global super power. There is no reason why we can't be dominant in the WWE. Imagine Singh Brothers have the RAW or SmackDown tag team championships, I have the WWE or Universal Championship and even Kavita Devi with the women's championship - it is very much possible and it is going to happen.

:getin:

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

musicals are garbage

BrigadierSensible posted:

The thing is, it'd be so easy to get internet fans to like, or at least hate Roman less.

Have him show some of his real personality and play some vidja games with his cousins and Xavier on UpUpDownDown.

Even if he didn't do anything cool or fun, seeing him interact with the Uso brothers goofiness as a real person would soften fans views of him and make watching him win all the time easier to take.

Based on his interviews he seems like he buys into his hype a lot.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Invalid Validation posted:

If you think Roman is amazing, that’s great, just don’t complain when he has the belt and can’t single handedly hold the company up (because he’s weak).

Live attendance only started cratering when Roman started losing on every Raw PPV!

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Abroham Lincoln posted:

He made Wade Barrett into the king of space or some poo poo and that's great

He also offered Barrett a friendship necklace and Barrett threw it away in disgust.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah no.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ-0DLV8kfU

Cody did this thing that was cool, once.

BrigadierSensible posted:

Edit: I also like Cody the dork, and am glad he is happy/happier away from the monster that is Vince/WWE

He's come off as a pretty chill dude when he's on UUDD. The CoD: Infinite Warfare episode was fun because he was the only one who knew what he was doing so he just quietly went out and got a respectable K/D while everybody else got murdered over and over.

But whenever he opens his mouth for an interview or tweets anything, he comes off like a spoiled jock prick.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
cody isn't particularly amazing or anything, but i do love his in ring charisma. i understand that some people might not like it, but i really love the way he moves and talks and interacts with the crowd in ring.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Roman is an ok wrestler and a huge victim of booking. Even if he had good booking he spent a long time freezing up in promos and still can't perform all of his "power" moves.

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

This is the face of a winner. This is what winning looks like.
Cody may not have the best workrate but he's really loving cocky and that kind of charisma draws me in.

Meanwhile Roman is... just Roman.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Mulaney Power Move posted:

i predict bray does something really spooky for halloween

Like showing up in his Dad's old IRS gear.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Jack Anderson posted:

Cody may not have the best workrate but he's really loving cocky and that kind of charisma draws me in.

Meanwhile Roman is... just Roman.

"The Guy" is such an awful character but probably not his fault. They did the same thing with Cena but Cena at least had the benefit of having a character before WWE decided he was a heel to the haters and a face to his fans. Cena also just has some natural charisma.

Roman's booking has been silent guy in the shield, the underdog who gets every chance and has to say Vince's hand written notes, and "the guy".

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

The problem with Roman is that he's very good at having WWE Main Events and that's not a thing I enjoy or want to watch.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
Roman bores me on screen, in terms of both his booking and himself as a performer, and he's always been a dickhead in interviews with other outlets, way before it could be justified by "Roman's kind of a dick" becoming his on-screen character. He was moderately cool in the original Shield run (though even then I'd say he was the weakest character, and by far the worst wrestler, of the three) but since he's been on his own the only entertainment I've gotten from him is the idea that he's a holocaust-denying wank pheasant.

I don't see the point in dissecting his timing or anything. I don't find him entertaining or appreciate his presence anywhere at any time, and ultimately that's really all that should matter to any viewer. He can have all the 4* WrestleMania headline matches he likes; I'd still rather watch Dana Brooke. And she's gently caress-awful.

Cody is also really boring, but it's good that someone took their ball and left. I wish Stardust had been given more of a real chance 'cause the first 2-3 weeks he was doing it it seemed like a really great way to continue a retiring, iconic WWE character.

Bray will add a flanger to his vocoder and commentary will sell it as the Earthly manifestation of Beelzebub.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Roman Reigns is very good at wrestling, it's not his wrestling that's the problem. It's that he's not a natural babyface and probably won't be until they change his gimmick away from knock off Biker Taker.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Roman doesn’t really have much of a personality. His promos are horrendous and cookie cutter-ish. Some of that is on Vince and the writers, but most of it is on Roman.

People love Braun Strowman. Why do people love Braun Strowman? Because he’s an impossibly gigantic hoss of a human being who does nothing but hurt other people in exciting and new hoss ways. He just destroys people. And then people cheer for him because people love wanton violence.

He doesn’t have to cut promos. His actions are his promos. Even then, “I’M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!” is a thousand times more over as a catchphrase than “This is my yard!” or various “Big Dog” horseshit.

If they just made Roman into Samoan Brock (who shows up more than 10 times a year) from the get go, I feel like a lot of his weaknesses could have been masked.

And despite being related to him, he’s not the Rock, and he likely never will be. It could be said that it’s unfair to think that anybody could replicate the Rock, and that’s probably true, but Roman’s charisma deficit certainly isn’t helping him in the “appeal to the fans via the mic” department.

If he takes yet another long nap at the Rumble next year, and still wins it, no amount of crowd sound editing will be able to fix the backlash. Like somebody said earlier in the thread, putting him back with Seth and Dean might endear him to crowds again, but if it doesn’t, then i’d hope that Hunter and Stephanie have a long discussion with Vince about perhaps stepping down. Because “Get Roman Over: Year 5” is not something anybody should want to witness.

Gonzo McFee posted:

Roman Reigns is very good at wrestling, it's not his wrestling that's the problem. It's that he's not a natural babyface and probably won't be until they change his gimmick away from knock off Biker Taker.

“Turn Roman Heel” could have fixed all of this, but I think it might be too late, now.

Roman Reigns has become the human manifestation of that old Sears air-conditioning commercial that everybody hated because it played 37 times per hour.

Gonz fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Oct 16, 2017

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Incessant Excess posted:

Rusev should be part of and on top of the Cruiserweight division as he is under 205 kilos.

I'm really happy that Rusev keeps taking time off to hang out with his wife, because it has limited how much lovely booking he's gotten.

bartok
May 10, 2006

Roman is fine at wrestling a WWE main event style match and has the look of a guy that belongs on the top of the card. I don't like him because his character and promos remind me of Biker 'Taker. Who despite having some great matches was the lamest incarnation of 'Taker.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Gonz posted:

Roman doesn’t really have much of a personality. His promos are horrendous and cookie cutter-ish. Some of that is on Vince and the writers, but most of it is on Roman.

People love Braun Strowman. Why do people love Braun Strowman? Because he’s an impossibly gigantic hoss of a human being who does nothing but hurt other people in exciting and new hoss ways. He just destroys people. And then people cheer for him because people love wanton violence.

He doesn’t have to cut promos. His actions are his promos. Even then, “I’M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!” is a thousand times more over as a catchphrase than “This is my yard!” or various “Big Dog” horseshit.

If you step back and really look at the content of them, Braun's promos actually are loving terrible. The stuff he's being made to say is honestly almost every bit as putrid as the stuff Roman has to say. There was a promo before No Mercy where he basically said "Well, I'm not gonna complain about this, but [proceeds to complain about it for five minutes]." It was loving unbelievably stupid. But Braun is one of those guys, like Neville or Alexa or Miz who can take WWE's terrible writing and deliver it in a really convincing way. This after, what, a year of being on his own and cutting his own promos? His delivery and facial expressions are already top notch.

Compare it to Roman who still sucks at those things after doing it every week for three years. You can't blame it on the terrible material forever because guys with fewer chances than him to get better at it are way better at it than him.

In 2017 alone, I can think of like four or five segments where the dude got completely outclassed and outshined on the mic and only about half of those involve Cena ruthlessly dunking on him. Joe and Miz have also made the guy look like a jackass on the regular.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Oh absolutely. Braun’s promos are very bad, writing wise. But like you said, it’s the visual manner in which he delivers them that redeems them. Whereas Roman always sounds like he just got done memorizing an index card.

Don’t even get me started on that “suffering succotash“ promo.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
wwe is bad at booking babyfaces

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
The other one I can think of is when Braun was cutting a promo about people hiding behind computers or some poo poo (unlike him, A REAL MAN), and it was just the most intensely stupid thing in the world, but he had this incredible sneer and the way he said it, at the end I was just like "drat, that was great!"

It's honestly one of the most frustrating things in WWE. If you gave these guys a story they could sink their teeth into, it'd probably make for incredible TV, but instead you get the aforementioned Braun promos and Alexa having to try and carry garbage like that This Is Your Life segment or "lol Mickie you're old :iamafag:" based solely on her own charisma, which is like asking her to drag a loving boulder up a hill with her teeth.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Seams posted:

wwe is bad at booking babyfaces

This is 100% true and cannot be stated enough. When Vince either steps down or dies, there needs to be a vigorous spring cleaning throughout the creative department.

The thing is, Vince is an insane workaholic and probably won’t stop doing any of this gracefully. He’d probably book Raw via Skype after a heart attack while having stents implanted on the operating table.

Steak & ketchup wraps for dinner afterwards, obviously.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

It’s going to be super exciting to see how they gently caress up Asuka’s booking.

And by “super exciting” I actually mean *pretends to put a gun barrel against the roof of my mouth*.

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002
Roman's a decent-to-good wrestler, but until he's capable of doing something like Cena did with Khali and just carry someone to a great match that just doesn't have it anymore (or never did) I can't truly put him in the really good or better territory.

That match he had with Taker at Mania was eye-opening, they knew that match was going to happen for months, had all sorts of time to agent and plot it out, and it was still terrible. It was a worse match than the year before when Taker was fighting the owner's 46 year old son, and a man 15 years his junior in much better shape with far more in-ring experience couldn't put on something better. The crowd the next night on Raw wasn't epically hostile just because of Roman's latest crowning match, but because the longest tenured wrestler on the roster, someone who's been around since most of us were kids, went out in such an embarrassing fashion. If Cena had Taker's retirement match he WOULD have carried him to something decent like Michaels did with Flair, the crowd would've been a fraction as hostile because Taker's exit would've been respectful.

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002
Also I still have no idea why they keep having Roman come out and brag about retiring Taker. It's never gotten a positive reaction and just comes off as the heelest drat thing for the top babyface/The Guy should be saying. What on earth is Vince thinking with that I'll never understand.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

musicals are garbage
Trying to push Roman as an underdog was always strange too. Dude is in no way an underdog. He's a handsome athletic wrestler who has had the companies blessing from day one. Who the hell is going to buy him as an underdog.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The_Rob posted:

who has had the companies blessing from day one.

Remember when Roman won some number one contenders match (maybe it was even the Rumble?) and Triple H and Steph came out making angry faces like we were supposed to buy that THE AUTHORITY were upset about Roman getting the title shot?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I wonder how many people who complain about Roman and his limited moveset also jizz themselves over Ishii matches

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I've never see an Ishii match but Roman literally has 4 moves and can barely pull one of them off

Quasipox
Sep 6, 2008

No joke, but if they gently caress up Asuka's debut, that might be my breaking point for main roster poo poo. I'll keep watching NXT and 205, but I'll find something better to do for RAW and Smackdown. I'm already wary after the continued loving up of Nakamura, so running that back with Asuka just might be too much.

It's like I keep telling myself there's no way they'd be stupid enough to have her lose her RAW debut match, but WWE has proven stupidity knows no limits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I can't even really think who WWE's closest equivalent of Ishii would be.... Sheamus?

• Locked thread