Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

From the last thread:

The Kins posted:

What are some cool Sega CD games that aren't Sonic or SNATCHER?
Earthworm Jim: SE, Final Fight CD, Flink, Shining Force CD, Lunar, Lunar 2, Popful Mail, various other Genesis-to-Sega-CD-but-now-it-has-redbook-audio-or-more-stages conversions - the list goes on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Oh hey we have a new thread. I haven't spent a lot of time or money on my collection lately but I still like retro gaming and even picked up a snes classic.

Every month I debate if I should just sell some of my valuable games and pick up flash carts.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
The prices just keep going up on stuff, but that can't continue forever.

All the people nostalgic for the SNES will stop wanting games eventually and the next generation won't give a gently caress.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

d0s posted:

I mean the amiga technically has games they're just all either bad original games or really bad ports of arcade games

Counterpoint: Arkanoid, Klax, Star Wars (which features speech sampled from a videotape of the movies complete with whatever was going on in the background)

fishmech posted:

Some people claim the Amigas is a game machine. These are people who were seriously deprived in their childhood and had to make do with pretending the Video Toaster made games.

I think it just means they were Dutch.

I have an Amiga 2000. :smug:

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

MrLonghair posted:

My rose tinted Amiga glasses are no longer. Battle of The Ports woke me up. We used to make fun of Atari kids but they got the better deal sometimes.

I've never seen battle of the ports but when it comes to Amiga vs ST in particular I was under the impression that the Amiga was usually better in that case due to it's custom graphics and sound hardware. With stuff like arcade ports I guess it's a tossup because the devs for those just straight up didn't give a poo poo from what I could tell so you ended up with stuff that barely used the capabilities of whatever system it's on. When I say something like "the Amiga sucks" I mean that it sucks compared to the well known consoles or like a 486 PC, because those machines just had better libraries with better games. Compared to Atari ST you have pretty much exactly the same wack eurogames, but objectively less powerful hardware in the ST case.

Maybe in the case of the ports you're talking about it's actually a benefit because the ST would have been easier to program for, and the people making the arcade ports were usually bottom of the barrel guys. There were also a ton of ports made with the ST as the lead platform and then just halfassedly brought to the Amiga with zero effort, similar to the previous generation's situation where stuff was made for the Spectrum first and then brought over to the C64, MSX etc. keeping the same weird cancerous spectrum graphics

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Sir Tonk posted:

The prices just keep going up on stuff, but that can't continue forever.

All the people nostalgic for the SNES will stop wanting games eventually and the next generation won't give a gently caress.

Someone please go through the past 10 years of threads and find the soonest instance of someone speculating that the bubble can't last much longer

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I think over the past couple of years I've sold like 200 or so games just because I realized I didn't care about the bulk of them. I'll always keep a few favorites, though.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Carrier Command is the best game on both the ST and Amiga.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I sold my snes with ff3, secret of mana, and a handful of others to a buddy in high school for $50usd because I wanted a ps2 (2001ish). I took him to a hockey game a while ago and he showed up with a shopping bag full of everything I sold him (with a bonus Chrono Trigger) to give back because he "always felt like [I] ripped [you] off." I made it abundantly clear that I never felt that way and it wasn't necessary and the bag was worth a ton of money now but he insisted.

I should really do an audit someday, the games alone might chip in a bit to pay for my wedding

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

BigRed0427 posted:

Ok. Cause my ROM dump's hash is not the same as my No-Intro Copy. That means I am loving something up?

Your file is different from the No Intro version but you loving something up is only one possibility. It might be worth running it through GoodNES and seeing what it thinks. Also how are you dumping the cart exactly, what device?

Other possibilities could include a bad cart connection (i.e. if you'd stuck it in an actual NES, you'd have the blinking light or a grey screen), I know I've had "failed" ROM dumps that dumped fine once I reseated the cart.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Luigi Thirty posted:

Counterpoint: Arkanoid, Klax, Star Wars (which features speech sampled from a videotape of the movies complete with whatever was going on in the background)

Yeah sometimes the ports ended up decent, but come on the majority of ports, particularly of action games were heinous, or maybe passable until you compared them to something on MD or PCE

e: regarding game prices just lmao if you're still buying real console games and not using a flashcart and CD burner

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
I love Illbleed

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Remember guys.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
It's 2017 and I should sell off my space-hogging software, get flash carts for all my consoles, and call it a day. Or just stick to emulators and call it a day.

Instead I'm just gonna keep sitting on this library of cartridges and CDs until I die. Hopefully all the hardware and software goes bad long after I'm dead rather than while I'm alive.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I've had negative time to play any games lately, though I may have my first proper free time (ie. can take more than an hour for myself with nothing hanging over my head) in over a month tomorrow and the day after and I've got a weird game I want to share that nobody has ever heard of or will possibly ever give a drat about.

I have been playing Okamiden in bed, though. Even though I haven't played Okami in a while, I could feel the rehash in it. And the mechanics for upgrading your weapon are painfully stupid (kill specific enemies in specific ways to have a chance of them dropping upgrade materials that you need a lot of). Still enjoying it as Okami-redux though I could see myself grinding to halt rather than dealing with upgrading weapons.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

way back in the day when gamestop sold used NES/SNES/Genesis games for next to nothing (around when PS2 was current) I would take long road trips to all the stores in like a 50 mile radius and hoover up carts, ended up with a ton of rare and valuable stuff. I've been slowly selling it off for the past few years and getting all the arcade boards I've always wanted with the money. now arcade boards are also ridiculously inflated but apart from certain multi systems with piracy solutions they're not going to be replaced by a flashcart anytime soon

e:

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

What the gently caress? :psyduck: I mean, it's a good message but...why here of all places?

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

BigRed0427 posted:

What the gently caress? :psyduck: I mean, it's a good message but...why here of all places?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7J1iwf9f7w4

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

BigRed0427 posted:

All the WPC-Security games (so ‘93-‘95 or so) display that message if no custom message is set and the game’s region is set to USA. No, I don’t know either.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Can anyone translate that video? I have a hunch that's juicy

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Sir Tonk posted:

Just use the MLIG video, they cover all the known ones that don't suck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=998tBzpJhVo

thanks for this, I had never seen it. The bandridge 7725 looks perfect for me and it's miraculously under a hundred bucks

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

d0s posted:

oh yeah can someone tell me if there is a decent scart switch that you don't need to be a saudi prince to afford

Got this SCART switch that works great. It serves my N64, SNES, and Saturn. $40 http://a.co/2gHW8a6

Paired it with this heavy-duty SCART cable which was good enough at preventing interference that I can't tell the difference between console-direct and console thru switch http://a.co/hFBaRO5

Full disclosure: This is the not-awful converter that I pipe the whole thing through: http://a.co/fJA4VNC

ProjektorBoy fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Oct 16, 2017

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

ProjektorBoy posted:

Got this SCART switch that works great. It serves my N64, SNES, and Saturn. $40 http://a.co/2gHW8a6

I wish that thing had one more input, to me the extra is worth the $30ish more the bandridge costs

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

So, this got lost in the shuffle, I'd appreciate if anyone has any tips:

I'm reassembling my GBA SP with a new case, but I can't sort out how the ribbon connector connects. Disconnecting it was a breeze, but now it won't go in the slot. It's completely intact, not broken or anything, which is good, but I'm pretty close to seeing who repairs systems and having them do it because I'm a giant dumbass.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Not sure if this is really retro yet but I was given a PS3 with a dead disc drive, I think its the one with backwards compatibility, can these things be modded to play games off a hard drive or something? I never really played PS2 so I have a lot of catching up to do.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

hexwren posted:

So, this got lost in the shuffle, I'd appreciate if anyone has any tips:

I'm reassembling my GBA SP with a new case, but I can't sort out how the ribbon connector connects. Disconnecting it was a breeze, but now it won't go in the slot. It's completely intact, not broken or anything, which is good, but I'm pretty close to seeing who repairs systems and having them do it because I'm a giant dumbass.

Hmm did you make sure the tabs on the connector are open? It should go in easily, hardest part is getting it through the hinge mechanism

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
Just wanted to respond to something fishmech posted in the last thread:

fishmech posted:

Why aren't you just jamming a large USB hard drive off the back of the 360 for bulk storage? Microsoft changed the USB volume capacity limits back in 2015, so you can use any drive up to 2 terabytes.

This mostly works, but be aware that there’s a decent number of games from the back half of the 360’s lifecycle (GTAV, Dragon Age Inquisition) that have mandatory HDD installs that require an official Hard Drive and won’t install on a USB drive.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Hey, I had a booth this year at Retro World Expo, and I'm just curious if I accidentally met some goons. We are RetroGamingArts.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

African AIDS cum posted:

Hmm did you make sure the tabs on the connector are open? It should go in easily, hardest part is getting it through the hinge mechanism

I have no idea how the tabs work, and the images I saw in a GIS were less than helpful. Getting it out, I just kind of poked at the tabs until the ribbon popped out. It's nicely through the hinge right now, that part went fine.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Goons, help me. I got a new TV recently and discovered it won't play nicely with my N64/SNES. It has composite inputs and of course HDMI. Since the AV cables won't work as is, can I get by with just grabbing composite cables or am I better served with a converter?

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Regular Nintendo posted:

Can anyone translate that video? I have a hunch that's juicy

A message from AAA [Act Against AIDS]

AIDS is like any typical disease.
It isn't transmitted merely by touch.
This is a proven scientific fact.
Don't be afraid.
If someone close to you has contracted it, be kind to them.

Your love and courage is the best vaccine!
Let's save the world with love and courage.

Japan Foundation for AIDS Prevention
PHONE: 0120-177-812

COMPILE supports AAA.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

man compile were really too good for this world

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Modus Pwnens posted:

A message from AAA [Act Against AIDS]

AIDS is like any typical disease.
It isn't transmitted merely by touch.
This is a proven scientific fact.
Don't be afraid.
If someone close to you has contracted it, be kind to them.

Your love and courage is the best vaccine!
Let's save the world with love and courage.

Japan Foundation for AIDS Prevention
PHONE: 0120-177-812

COMPILE supports AAA.

That's actually a very nice message, I kinda expected something mildly racist

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

d0s posted:

loving bless them.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

RumbleFish posted:

can I get by with just grabbing composite cables or am I better served with a converter?

do you mean component cables? because that won't fix your problem, you need something like a framemiester

e: also there's a bunch of stuff in the OP about this with your exact question

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

d0s posted:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
What is a good alternative to the Everdrive flashcart for GBA? I would just prefer to not spend $100 on a flashcart if there's a cheaper alternative that's pretty solid.

All New Sonic
Nov 7, 2012

& KNUCKLES
Buglord

BigRed0427 posted:

So I dumped a Rad Racer cart onto my PC. The Good news is that I'm glad I found out my NES dump tools still works and it looks like the bsnes emulator is hot garbage for NES games.

But the bad news is my ROM looks...off. There are these black lines that come off the road in the distance that go into the sand. Playing the game off the NES doesn't have this issue. But I did fire up the No-Intro version and it has the same issue. Is it because of the Emulator or I am playing it off a LCD screen on a computer? I just wanna make sure my copying makes good ROMS.

Today was a retro gaming con in Hartford and I got the Retro Bug bad now. Tomorrow I'm gonna try and clean my NES, just gotta get the stuff to do it.

It's just your emulator. The NES was a ridiculously limited system, so developers had to do stupid programming tricks to get things like Rad Racer's road effects to work. A lot of emulators still don't emulate the system's timing quirks 100% correctly, so you sometimes get weird visual glitches. Nestopia and Nintendulator are your best bets if you're looking for accurate emulation.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Star Man posted:

What is a good alternative to the Everdrive flashcart for GBA? I would just prefer to not spend $100 on a flashcart if there's a cheaper alternative that's pretty solid.

The EZFlash IV is still good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Kazvall posted:

Hey, I had a booth this year at Retro World Expo, and I'm just curious if I accidentally met some goons. We are RetroGamingArts.

In Hartford? I was there. The girl in the blue dress and red hair in a ponytail?

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Oct 16, 2017