Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

I just watched a Futurama episode all about "EyePhones" and "Twitting" and Susan Boyle. I'd forgotten Futurama had episodes this bad.

That didn't age badly because everyone hated it at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The first internet episode... hasn't really changed that much. It's full of ads, piracy and obnoxious twits in games.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Volcott posted:

Hey lady from the cold open, maybe you shouldn't have been absolutely nowhere near your baby if you didn't want that rape victim to check on it because it was crying.

They put a lot of effort into the rape videos in that episode.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HlUCWQpjxQ

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Almost entirely after the revival. The original run is still gold, but sadly no longer on Netflix.

I watched the original run religiously, owned all the DVDs, watched them all constantly... and instantly gave up during the Beast With Two Backs era. It was just different in a weird way, and kinda sleazy. Everything I've seen of the show since then makes it look like a pale shadow of the first four seasons.

They tried to do 'topical' humour (eyePhones) in a show set 1000 years in the future. It's aged about as well as the technology in The Jetsons.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Almost entirely after the revival. The original run is still gold, but sadly no longer on Netflix.

:ssh: this is why piracy is good

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

well why not posted:

I watched the original run religiously, owned all the DVDs, watched them all constantly... and instantly gave up during the Beast With Two Backs era. It was just different in a weird way, and kinda sleazy. Everything I've seen of the show since then makes it look like a pale shadow of the first four seasons.

They tried to do 'topical' humour (eyePhones) in a show set 1000 years in the future. It's aged about as well as the technology in The Jetsons.

Futurama was always doing topical stuff, it just got far less subtle when it came back. It also felt like there was more sleazy sexualizing of characters in new episodes.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

Futurama was always doing topical stuff, it just got far less subtle when it came back. It also felt like there was more sleazy sexualizing of characters in new episodes.

Did it do anything as time-specific as iPhones, though? I remember they covered stuff like global warming, tax rebates and cola in the originals, but nothing that's quite as stuck-in-time as iPhone worship.

The sleaziness definitely ramped up after the movies, I remember exactly when it happened - Leila, under duress, has sex with Brannigan to save the world. It's upsetting, weird, cruel and coercive - and not at all wholesome.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

well why not posted:

Did it do anything as time-specific as iPhones, though? I remember they covered stuff like global warming, tax rebates and cola in the originals, but nothing that's quite as stuck-in-time as iPhone worship.

They did like Pepperidge Farm and Surge parodies that were fairly obvious from what I remember. I'm sure there's a bunch of stuff that wouldn't have aged well if it wasn't actually well written

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Hulu got the rights to everything recently so it will be on there soon.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Aesop Poprock posted:

They did like Pepperidge Farm and Surge parodies that were fairly obvious from what I remember. I'm sure there's a bunch of stuff that wouldn't have aged well if it wasn't actually well written

Like the Simpsons, there's a lot of stuff that a viewer 20 years after the fact probably wouldn't realise is a reference to something, but is funny anyway by itself.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

well why not posted:

The Eyephone one is the only episode I always skip. It's impossibly bad, and even when it came out (in 2010!) it was suuuper dated.

quote:

The sleaziness definitely ramped up after the movies, I remember exactly when it happened - Leila, under duress, has sex with Brannigan to save the world. It's upsetting, weird, cruel and coercive - and not at all wholesome.

I agree with it being offputting but that was kind of the whole point of an episode really obviously mocking uneven religion-based censoring. It's not my favorite episode but the end doesn't just come out of nowhere.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

OutOfPrint posted:

I saw a local production of Avenue Q a few years ago. It was an all-white cast. That was incredibly uncomfortable. I haven't been able to listen to the soundtrack since.

How did they do Gary Coleman?

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

OutOfPrint posted:

I saw a local production of Avenue Q a few years ago. It was an all-white cast. That was incredibly uncomfortable. I haven't been able to listen to the soundtrack since.

Yikes. How did they do the Asian character? I can imagine that being cringeworthy. There’s a lot of that show that’s only just ok if you have a diverse cast to begin with.

I remember seeing the show at the West End and thinking it was the funniest musical ever, then listening to it about a year ago and realising it had aged badly. Comedy musicals are tricky, but pull them off and they’re ageless. When you listen to Avenue Q you instantly think of it as being mid 00s.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea Avenue Q isn't terrible or anything but even before you hit 'everybody's a little bit racist' the entire show screams 'bush era edgy comedy'.

Which is funny to me because Lopez would go on to do Book of Mormon with the south park guys and I'd say that comedy musical is firmly in the 'ageless' side of the divide.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

OutOfPrint posted:

So white people make you uncomfortable? Sounds pretty racist.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
We did the whitest possible white-girl version of The Wiz when I was in Catholic school. That was really loving embarrassing. I don't think hardly anyone besides me and a couple of other people had even seen the movie, the impossibly white drama department just wanted to do a "different" Wizard of Oz and for some reason went with the worst possible choice

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Earlier this year I played in the band for a school production of Hairspray in a school with no black pupils. Pasty ginger Irish kid exclaiming, "If we get any more white people in here it'll turn into a suburb!" is funnier than it probably should be.

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Outta my way, ya dumb rah-rah!
This is making me glad my high school had the opposite problem, where you'd be doing poo poo like The Music Man with every color of person being small town Iowa townspeople at the turn of the century.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

The transition from Futurama season 4 to the movies and the new seasons was like jumping from season 4 to season 11 on the Simpsons

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

sexpig by night posted:

Yea Avenue Q isn't terrible or anything but even before you hit 'everybody's a little bit racist' the entire show screams 'bush era edgy comedy'.

Which is funny to me because Lopez would go on to do Book of Mormon with the south park guys and I'd say that comedy musical is firmly in the 'ageless' side of the divide.

Book of Mormon is a piece of poo poo and Parker and Stone should be fired into the sun.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

U-DO Burger posted:

The transition from Futurama season 4 to the movies and the new seasons was like jumping from season 4 to season 11 on the Simpsons

The pacing of the later seasons is so off

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Disgusting Coward posted:

How did they do Gary Coleman?

Small white guy. To his credit, he absolutely nailed the voice.

SEX BURRITO posted:

Yikes. How did they do the Asian character? I can imagine that being cringeworthy. There’s a lot of that show that’s only just ok if you have a diverse cast to begin with.

Large white woman. To her credit, at least she didn't tape her eyes back.

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

So white people make you uncomfortable? Sounds pretty racist.

Band names that didn't age well, but at least they changed it to AJJ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfUlhqLdScY

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

U-DO Burger posted:

I still think the movies are okay, but the newer Comedy Central seasons were just awful. I remember turning on the exact one Nemesis of Moles was talking about, only to have Fry say, out loud, "Leela, you have a singing boil named Susan?", and I had to immediately change it away. I don't think the movies at their worst were anywhere near that bad.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

SpacePig posted:

I still think the movies are okay, but the newer Comedy Central seasons were just awful. I remember turning on the exact one Nemesis of Moles was talking about, only to have Fry say, out loud, "Leela, you have a singing boil named Susan?", and I had to immediately change it away. I don't think the movies at their worst were anywhere near that bad.

Even the writers and producers acknowledge that that episode was a disaster; it's not really fair to judge the whole four-season CC run based on it. (That episode also generated the "shut up and take my money" meme; whether that's positive or negative is up to you.)

The trouble with the later seasons is that they didn't actually have much of a full-time writing staff anymore - the "best-educated writers' room in television" basically became a series of spec scripts - so stuff that would have been cut in the writers' room in the first run made it to storyboards in the latter half.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The Comedy Central series has some decent episodes (the one with the time machine that only goes forwards is funny).

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Besesoth posted:

Even the writers and producers acknowledge that that episode was a disaster; it's not really fair to judge the whole four-season CC run based on it. (That episode also generated the "shut up and take my money" meme; whether that's positive or negative is up to you.)

The trouble with the later seasons is that they didn't actually have much of a full-time writing staff anymore - the "best-educated writers' room in television" basically became a series of spec scripts - so stuff that would have been cut in the writers' room in the first run made it to storyboards in the latter half.

That's gotta be one of those mistaken memory moments for me cause when I first saw that meme I was certain it was from an earlier season episode. I've only seen like 3 of the new seasons ones and the Susan Boil one wasn't one of them (although all 3 I saw weren't good so I didn't watch more)

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Wheat Loaf posted:

The Comedy Central series has some decent episodes (the one with the time machine that only goes forwards is funny).
Yeah, and the cop one, and the Prisoner of Zenda one, and the Da Vinci one, and the evolution one, Octoberfest one, and a bunch of others. The revival is a step down overall but it's got a lot of good stuff in there.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Wheat Loaf posted:

"We'll have to bring her around again!"

Aesop Poprock posted:

That's gotta be one of those mistaken memory moments for me cause when I first saw that meme I was certain it was from an earlier season episode. I've only seen like 3 of the new seasons ones and the Susan Boil one wasn't one of them (although all 3 I saw weren't good so I didn't watch more)

You're not the first person I've seen say this and it makes me wonder which earlier episode has a scene like it. (Maybe the one where compound interest makes Fry a billionaire?)

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Besesoth posted:

You're not the first person I've seen say this and it makes me wonder which earlier episode has a scene like it. (Maybe the one where compound interest makes Fry a billionaire?)
The one with the $300 tax refund maybe?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Yeah, and the cop one, and the Prisoner of Zenda one, and the Da Vinci one, and the evolution one, Octoberfest one, and a bunch of others. The revival is a step down overall but it's got a lot of good stuff in there.

The handful of weird team-up ones were decent - the one where Bender teams up with Hermes was a highlight.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Besesoth posted:

Oh, I know. The first few seasons had some pretty decent ones in there, so I don't write off its whole time on Comedy Central as bad. It's just that that one in particular is an easy-to-point-to exemplar of the decline of the thing. It had just kind of gotten lazy by that point, and was almost unwatchable most of the time.

Wheat Loaf posted:

That's actually one of my personal favorites, so like I said, there are some good ones in there.

e: Haha, that one won an Emmy, so I guess it's not just a personal favorite, but a general consensus good episode.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

OutOfPrint posted:

You just reminded me. The first time I saw Miss Saigon in the West End, one of the lead roles was in yellowface. Very bad yellowface too. They basically made his eyelids look fatter and pulled his eyes back a bit. Even in the early 90s this was controversial.

They revived the show recently and actually cast an Asian guy. Plus changed half the lyrics.

At least it wasn’t as bad as Breakfast at Tiffany’s terrible portrayal of Asians. It’s almost worse because half the movie is quite cool and sophisticated in a timeless way, then Mickey Rooney shows up to do the ‘me rikeeee’ routine.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

OutOfPrint posted:

Small white guy. To his credit, he absolutely nailed the voice.

Band names that didn't age well, but at least they changed it to AJJ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfUlhqLdScY

I hadn’t listened to them in about a year and couldn’t figure out why my search didn’t work on Spotify.

“AJJ, what is this....oh” Was it the Jihad or the Andrew Jackson people found offensive?

Kind of like how one of the vintage plane air shows changed its name from the Confederate Air Force to the Commemorative Air Force.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I thought the Futurama movies were okay, but the first few episodes of the new seasons were so bad I stopped watching the show altogether. If it actually gets better then maybe I should watch them some time.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

U-DO Burger posted:

I thought the Futurama movies were okay, but the first few episodes of the new seasons were so bad I stopped watching the show altogether. If it actually gets better then maybe I should watch them some time.

They don't. And the finale is just barely good enough to sit through.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Solice Kirsk posted:

They don't. And the finale is just barely good enough to sit through.

The finale is really good and makes me tear up like a punk.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Eh Futurama never clicked with me the same way the Simpsons did. I've never really understood what was supposed to be so great about it.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

U-DO Burger posted:

It's a shame because the seasons before it was nearly flawless and the finale was perfection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asinine Tails
Aug 11, 2012

Krispy Wafer posted:

I hadn’t listened to them in about a year and couldn’t figure out why my search didn’t work on Spotify.

“AJJ, what is this....oh” Was it the Jihad or the Andrew Jackson people found offensive?

Kind of like how one of the vintage plane air shows changed its name from the Confederate Air Force to the Commemorative Air Force.

Both.

They said:
"2 reasons :
a) We are not Muslims, and as such, it is disrespectful and irresponsible for us to use the word jihad in our band's name.
B) Interesting historical figure as he was, Andrew Jackson was an odious person and our fascination with him has grown stale."