Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
For supercheap computer speakers I kinda prefer these:

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-S15...25CS6YHADH13W8C

T-amp and separate speakers is nice since you can set it up elsewhere later to act as a radio or whatnot. Lepai + Dayton bookshelves are a fine combo for the price, or Sony if you're buying used and can spare the space. It's not too uncommon to see stuff like this on sale:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-STR-DE...WEAAOSww3tY7CJr
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-Vintag...RkAAOSwblZZDk3I

e: oops, fixed the link to cheap speakers. Meant to link Logitech S150, not AmazonBasics.

Hob_Gadling fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jun 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Herr Tog posted:

You are a bad man who is enabling me. Thank you

Hey, no problem. First one's free, then I'll getcha when you come back all itchy looking for a DAC. :wink:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Hey, no problem. First one's free, then I'll getcha when you come back all itchy looking for a DAC. :wink:

Hey. Psst, hey. Playboy! Yeah you, playboy! Whatcha doin' tonight? You got headphones? You got an amp for those headphones?

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Hob_Gadling posted:

For supercheap computer speakers I kinda prefer these:

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-S15...25CS6YHADH13W8C

T-amp and separate speakers is nice since you can set it up elsewhere later to act as a radio or whatnot. Lepai + Dayton bookshelves are a fine combo for the price, or Sony if you're buying used and can spare the space. It's not too uncommon to see stuff like this on sale:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-STR-DE...WEAAOSww3tY7CJr
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-Vintag...RkAAOSwblZZDk3I

e: oops, fixed the link to cheap speakers. Meant to link Logitech S150, not AmazonBasics.

also I already have these will these work with the amp?

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

be gentle it is my first time :gerty:

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Herr Tog posted:

also I already have these will these work with the amp?

Those Logitechs? No, USB only.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Hob_Gadling posted:

Those Logitechs? No, USB only.

oh lol I have the 3.5 version. I spaced on that picture.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

What do people think about Edifier speakers (specifically these ones https://www.amazon.com/Edifier-USA-Bluetooth-Speakers-Black/dp/B00WKIY74U)?

I really like how they look but I haven't seen them mentioned on best of lists. I'd be using them mostly for music and games

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think Edifier generally makes pretty good stuff. The wirecutter chose this set as their upgrade PC speaker pick: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016PAWJYS?psc=1

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

so I have my first office amp! I not need my first speakers recommendation because there are so many loving options. Help me please~

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Herr Tog posted:

so I have my first office amp! I not need my first speakers recommendation because there are so many loving options. Help me please~

I might have said it already but I really loving love these things:

$15 goodwill find: Realistic Minimus 11's

If you want something cheap but new, then Micca MB42x.
That's the internet's standard answer.

Spend a little more? ok, those Andrew Jones Pioneer SP-BS22-LR are mighty fine.
or... Dayton Audio's B652-air are neat and who doesn't like an AMT tweeter? They're significantly bigger than the Micca though.

Most expensive but certainly the best of the bunch is definitely the Philharmonic Affordable Accuracy monitor. They're discontinued but the Parts Express sells a kit that includes the same enclosure. https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-br-1-6-1-2-2-way-bookshelf-monitor-speaker-kit-pair--300-640
There's a bit of DIY involved but it can be rewarding in itself listening to something that you built.

I'd probably just get the cabinet and throw in some different drivers like Seas but that would significantly drive up the cost.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
this is getting more expensive than I thought but Thank you for those sick recommendations

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Herr Tog posted:

this is getting more expensive than I thought but Thank you for those sick recommendations

As long as you stay far far away from placebophile nonsense, decent playback gear is cheap considering how long they last and audio tech evolves at a glacial pace.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The subwoofer on my Klipsch iFi 2.1 died a while back, and I bought a ProMedia subwoofer to replace it since I knew it would pair correctly with the satellites.

The ProMedia sub seems to be able to handle all my audio needs, whether that's music or movies. My question is, should I bother trying to repair the iFi sub? I tried fixing it originally but the fault was more complicated than just a blown cap or resistor. It is undeniably a higher quality sub, 8" compared to 6.5", but the ProMedia isn't exactly a slouch either.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Herr Tog posted:

this is getting more expensive than I thought

Mods, new thread title please.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Mods, new thread title please.

seconding

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
It's not expensive though as long as you're halfway reasonable...

Palladium posted:

As long as you stay away from placebophile nonsense, decent playback gear is cheap considering how long they last and audio tech evolves at a glacial pace.

Exactly. Your average person is terrible at understanding value over time. That's why people are totally fine ruining their back via a $100 chair that they sit in 6 hours a day, for example, or listening to $60 computer speakers 5 days a week.

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
Just bought a set of the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 BT speakers from Best Buy. The sound quality is impressive however there are some serious quality of life features that are missing. There is no on/off switch for the system and there is no pairing or on/off function for the Bluetooth so any neighbor could just hijack your system. It's hard to believe that kind of engineering oversight. I hate to return them because they sound so good but I'm seriously considering it.

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe
I'm looking to get some new speakers for my computer. I currently have these old Altec Lansing speakers/sub. I mainly use them for playing music that I play along with on my guitar (guitar is hooked up separately to an amp, not the computer/speakers). The problem is those Altec Lansing speakers poo poo the bed and get super distorted at any reasonable volume, and on some of the bassier songs I can barely hear the guitars. I was looking at these Edifier R1700BT speakers. I'm not looking to get concert level volumes out of it, but it sure would be nice to not have to hear nothing but bass and distortion when the volume gets turned up reasonably loud.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
They look fine for the price point as long as your connections work wit it

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe

Taima posted:

They look fine for the price point as long as your connections work wit it

I ended up getting a pair of Sterling Audio MX5's. They are great!

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

If you appreciate audio at all just start piecing together a real 4.1 system. (5.1 is pointless for PCs).

Like, you think your ATX case has lasted for a ton of builds, a decent audio setup will last twice as long. The only reason I haven't been using essentially the same 5.1 system for the last 15 years is because:

1. No one initially told me to do this so I bought a dumbass $300 PC system.

2. After replacing the dumbass system, 2 years later I decided that my bookshelves were too big and went with a more convenient size.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
I want a button to toggle my headphones. This seems like it would be a common issue/request but I'm not having any luck finding a product.

I've got a DAC (audioengine D1 currently) and I'm constantly switching between headphones and speakers, and I'm tired of having to plug and unplug them. I'd be willing to switch to a different DAC but I cannot find any with a headphone output toggle switch/button. Seems like such an obvious feature, I dunno how I'm not finding anything.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

n.. posted:

I want a button to toggle my headphones. This seems like it would be a common issue/request but I'm not having any luck finding a product.

I've got a DAC (audioengine D1 currently) and I'm constantly switching between headphones and speakers, and I'm tired of having to plug and unplug them. I'd be willing to switch to a different DAC but I cannot find any with a headphone output toggle switch/button. Seems like such an obvious feature, I dunno how I'm not finding anything.

Maybe an A/B switch of some sort?

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

n.. posted:

I know I've seen some DAC/amps that come with little toggle to switch between the headphones and the other output, so they definitely do exist. That begs the question though, if you're going to reach over and toggle a switch isn't that practically the exact same as reaching over and unplugging your headphones. Then reaching back over and plugging them in? Perhaps that's where there isn't too many of the switched ones?

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

100% Dundee posted:

I know I've seen some DAC/amps that come with little toggle to switch between the headphones and the other output, so they definitely do exist. That begs the question though, if you're going to reach over and toggle a switch isn't that practically the exact same as reaching over and unplugging your headphones. Then reaching back over and plugging them in? Perhaps that's where there isn't too many of the switched ones?

I did just find one on amazon that has a toggle, for $300(!). The convenience of a button press isn't quite worth that.

It's not about reaching, my DAC is right under my monitor. It's just an annoying motion to do dozens of times during a gaming session (when I get up from the computer, which is a lot, I like to toggle over to the speakers so I can still hear discord/music/game etc from the rest of the house and then toggle back to headphones when I sit down). I was hoping there would be a cheap/easy solution to just hit a button instead. I know I could just a hotkey in windows if i were using the integrated audio, but I'm not.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Maybe an A/B switch of some sort?

Not a bad idea. How do headphone jacks usually detect the presence of headphones? Is it a physical switch that detects something in the jack, or is it actually looking for electrical resistance from the headphones? If it's the latter, seems like that would work fine..

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

n.. posted:

I did just find one on amazon that has a toggle, for $300(!). The convenience of a button press isn't quite worth that.

It's not about reaching, my DAC is right under my monitor. It's just an annoying motion to do dozens of times during a gaming session (when I get up from the computer, which is a lot, I like to toggle over to the speakers so I can still hear discord/music/game etc from the rest of the house and then toggle back to headphones when I sit down). I was hoping there would be a cheap/easy solution to just hit a button instead. I know I could just a hotkey in windows if i were using the integrated audio, but I'm not.

Not a bad idea. How do headphone jacks usually detect the presence of headphones? Is it a physical switch that detects something in the jack, or is it actually looking for electrical resistance from the headphones? If it's the latter, seems like that would work fine..

I think it just detects if something is in the jack and then switches the signal to the jack if it sees something there, I don't think it can tell the difference between headphones and just a cord.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The recording audio interface I have has a separate volume knob for headphones and monitors, so you can leave both active at the same time and adjust each one's volume independently. I just turn down the volume on my monitors when I want to use headphones instead. They don't make the interface I use anymore but it looks like the Focusrite stuff above the solo level have the same thing going on.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

powderific posted:

The recording audio interface I have has a separate volume knob for headphones and monitors, so you can leave both active at the same time and adjust each one's volume independently. I just turn down the volume on my monitors when I want to use headphones instead. They don't make the interface I use anymore but it looks like the Focusrite stuff above the solo level have the same thing going on.

Yeah I have a Scarlett 2i4 and it does this and works great.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Speaking of this sort of stuff, does anyone know what sort of device you need to select from two different sources and two different outputs? I want something that lets me output audio from either my Nintendo Switch or my PC to either my headphones or my speakers, I tried a few different A/B switches but they introduced massive line noise, I even tried switching to high quality cables in case the noise was being introduced there but it made no difference. I've looked around and I've found a few devices that seem to do what I'm looking for, but they all seem to have tons of features I would never use, cost $200-$300 and are so big that I could not fit in my limited desk space even if I wanted to spend tons of money.

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

:australia:
For headphone switching I use an "Asus Xonar U7 MKII USB Sound Card"

Physical button on top switches and rotated for volume - but I use inline volume control on headset and the software switching 99% of the time. But yeah if you want a button press it does it

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

n.. posted:

I have one of these and it works really well

https://www.amazon.com/TOPPING-VX1-Tripath-Subwoofer-Amplifier/dp/B00H6XDE4S

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
Thanks for all the suggestions, just ordered the Scarlett 2i2. Been thinking about getting an XLR mic anyways. It's a shame the Solo doesn't have a separate headphone volume knob, but the 2i2 is still cheaper than the D1 was. In hindsight that wasn't a great purchase. It's great as a basic DAC but for the price I could have gotten a lot more.

Anyone wanna buy a gently used D1? :D

This would have been perfect if it wasn't an amp. I have powered monitors and just need line out.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
Any suggestion on a dac that can power two bookshelf speakers and/or headphones? Also the difference between 100, 200 and 300 in spending for it?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Fallorn posted:

Any suggestion on a dac that can power two bookshelf speakers and/or headphones? Also the difference between 100, 200 and 300 in spending for it?

No DAC can power speakers. Amps power speakers.
I just got this and it works pretty well.
The Lepai/Lepy Class-D amp is supposed to be adequate also. https://www.amazon.com/Lepy-LP-2020A-3A-Class-D-Digital-Amplifier/dp/B00C2P61FO

DACs are a dime a dozen and while I could go into all the differences, use cases, and necessity, I won't because :effort:
I will say, you probably don't need one, but just go ahead and buy a Schiit stack; Magni 3 and Modi 2.
http://www.schiit.com/products/magni-3
http://www.schiit.com/products/modi-2

Edit:
My desktop setup is considerably more expensive but I loving love it. TEAC UD-501 and AX-501.

When I finish getting all settled in my new house I'm taking the amps and DAC home with me to power a pair of Kef LS-50's

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Oct 16, 2017

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Every single amplifier with a digital input is also a DAC. Don't bother with separates unless you enjoy that sort of thing. There's a bunch of DAC/amps out there but you're probably looking on the upper end of that scale for a good one. There's something like this or this on the cheaper end but they tend to have quirky Chinese interfaces. Do you have space for a full-sized component? Getting a used or refurb recevier might be a good way to go.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

just go ahead and buy a Schiit stack; Magni 3 and Modi 2.
http://www.schiit.com/products/magni-3
So you're suggesting he buy these and a separate power amp for the speakers? Also Teac now makes an all-in-one.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Fallorn posted:

qirex posted:

So you're suggesting he buy these and a separate power amp for the speakers? Also Teac now makes an all-in-one.

Either that or, assuming he hasn’t bought the bookshelf speakers yet, he could go with any of the eleventy billion pretty good-to-great self powered PC speakers that have popped up on the market of late. That’s kind of what schiit’s <$600 products are mainly designed to work with, I think.

Like people have said, there are a few desktop all-in-one options out there that do discrete headphone amplification and speaker power (Audioengine N22 comes to mind) and even fewer with a DAC. Best bet might be an N22+Modi if you don’t want to go self-powered/power amp.

It’s probably easier in many ways to look into getting an entry level 2 channel receiver or integrated amp with digital/USB input and just pop it on a shelf near the computer. The headphone amp might be lacking in many models but often not in others. At least not enough that you’d notice. I’m 90% sure that every piece in the current line of Yamaha 2-channel receivers and amps boasts a discrete headphone amp path and those start at like $200 now. Also that gives you the option of expanding to other playback options like wireless or vinyl down the road more easily if you decide to expand your office stereo setup, as they tend to come with compatibility features built in that most products designed for the desktop won’t have. All of them come with remotes and USB/TOSlink and speaker wire are cheap.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Oct 16, 2017

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

For powered speakers even if you like Schiit stuff why not just get their cheap knob thing instead of the internet hype stack that requires 2 power supplies? Unless you have exotic hard to drive headphones it’s just more cables and more hassle IMO.

Poster asked about power amps, most of them now under $300 are Chinese tripath ones, and there’s plenty of all in one models.

qirex fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Oct 17, 2017

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

qirex posted:

For powered speakers even if you like Schiit stuff why not just get their [url= http://www.schiit.com/products/fulla-2]cheap knob thing[/url] instead of the internet hype stack that requires 2 power supplies? Unless you have exotic hard to drive headphones it’s just more cables and more hassle IMO.

That's honestly not a bad call. I personally wouldn't buy a headphone amp unless I actually had a set of headphones in hand/in mind that truly needed one in order to sound good or work at all. Fallorn, what headphones do you plan to drive with this amp?

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
I have a pair of Sennheiser hd 650s coming in and was told a amp really helps with the sound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

qirex posted:

He's posting because he just bought into the massdrop for the HD650's and heard they need an amp. iirc, he doesn't have speakers yet, so he's got options as far as going with powered speakers or not.
I'm assuming that since this is the desktop speakers thread that he wants something with a smaller footprint to drive them. The Schiit stack is popular because it offers a small footprint with more than adequate performance at a fantastic value. It's only one extra tiny power cable, it's not like it's that hard to manage.
But you're right, there's way more options out there. More than we can even begin to recommend considering the decided lack of details he has provided us.

Fallorn posted:

I have a pair of Sennheiser hd 650s coming in and was told a amp really helps with the sound.

I know. I saw your post in the headphone thread. This is in fact true, that they can benefit from more power, but they're not impossible to drive without an amp.
Why don't you just try plugging them into your computer and see how you like it?
The Magni 3 / Modi 2 is a fantastic combination if you NEED a DAC and an AMP. They're not the end-all be-all but they have a small footprint and are a great value.
As was previously mentioned, there are a bajillion options from separate components, to all in one receivers of all shapes and sizes and levels of Chinese-ness.

The best way to go about finding what you need or want is to determine what you are trying to accomplish, then determine a budget, then read back through the last 50 pages or so and see what tickles your fancy.