Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
It's cool, it'll really help when I get the new Danganronpa game for my birthday :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I saw a horrifying tweet with pictures of Demolition back in the day vs Demolition today, in the same get-up as the old days (only... less), you are very lucky I can't find it right now.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Marmaduke! posted:

I saw a horrifying tweet with pictures of Demolition back in the day vs Demolition today, in the same get-up as the old days (only... less), you are very lucky I can't find it right now.

I like that now Demolition just half rear end their face paint.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Davros1 posted:

I like that now Demolition just half rear end their face paint.

They can't sue you for copyright infringement if you do a complete poo poo job of it, I guess.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

C. Everett Koop posted:

They can't sue you for copyright infringement if you do a complete poo poo job of it, I guess.

Pretty sure either Bill or Moondog Spot has the copyright on Demolition nowadays.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Randaconda posted:

Pretty sure either Bill or Moondog Spot has the copyright on Demolition nowadays.

I still remember the story Davey Boy Smith Jr told. After he had left, WWE called him wondering if they could borrow some of his father's gear to display at Wrestlemania weekend. He said sure, shipped them some, and afterwards called them to get it back. They told him they owned The British Bulldog gimmick so it was their property.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
After that bit of palaver is sorted, Savage and Elizabeth leave to be replaced by #22 Big Bossman. That's not worked out too well for the poor Hulkster. He beats on Bossman but hits a body slam but Bossman retaliates with an avalanche and a piledriver. The next person to come out in accordance to this complete RANDOM SELECTION is #23 Akeem. Remember, this is all completely a RANDOM SELECTION. Three different tag teams came out concurrently BY RANDOM.

So question. If Bossman and Akeem are coming out at #22 and #23, why was DiBiase so upset about his number. These aren't exactly bad spots to have. I mean sure, he's obviously got himself an upgrade so it's worked out for him but there's still no reason for him to have been freaking out quite as much.

MOST OFFENSIVE COMMENT

Gorilla Monsoon: “Hulk's been out there for a half hour!”

Gino, it's been ten minutes. That's offensive to my intelligence. This comment is the peak of what is a really bad night for Gino. He spends the whole time being blindly loyal to the faces to the point where he's accepting bad behaviour at no provocation and making a bunch of hyperbolic statements such as this one. Good play-by-play guys need to come off as fair so that when they cheer for the faces it feels like that support has been earned. Otherwise Gino just seems as biased as Jesse and that means there's no reason to take his praise for the faces with value.

So just as you'd expect with these three men in the ring the workrate takes a sudden nosedive. Hulk whips Akeem into Bossman and both men go down. He follows up with a back suplex to Bossman and fair enough, that's the most original thing I've seen from Hulk in this entire timeline. Bossman and Akeem respond with a double avalanche then lift up Hulk's unresponsive carcass and... dump him over the top rope? Wait, seriously? We're bringing this home with no Savage and no Hulk. Who the hell does that leave to win the bloody thing?

The Twin Towers will stand forever, I tells ya

Welp, we all know what happens when Hulk takes a legitmate loss, don't we? That's right, he can't handle it so he throws a tantrum and tries to get some payback. He pulls Bossman out under the ropes (not eliminated!) and smashes his head into the ringbell. Akeem leaves the ring as well to join the brawl but Hulk is saved from the two-on-one by #24 Brutus Beefcake. The referees break it all apart and force the legitimate competitors back into the ring.

Hulk wants back in the ring as well but the referees stop him. No Hulk! You lost! You don't get a do-over here. Sometimes things go your way, deal with it! Hulk's still too busy being a hosed child though so he pulls down the ropes as Bossman runs towards them and he takes a spill to the outside. Hulk and Bossman restart their brawl and take it up the entrance all the way to the back.

This leaves us with Akeem and Brutus left in the ring as well as the next entrant, #25 The Red Rooster. Holy poo poo, all the excitement has gone out of this one, hasn't it? We'd best hurry on in hopes of finding someone to hang our interest on so #26 The Barbarian follows. He rushes over to save Akeem from an elimination attempt and immediately punches Akeem. Not quite following your logic there, mate.

Just Akeem doing Akeem things

Akeem absolutely kills Rooster with a splash and #27 Big John Studd adds himself to the equation. Ah geez, there's your winner, isn't it? We've got to the give him the rub, the lad's going to be huge one day! Studd goes right after Akeem and lays into him with some heavy shots. #28 Hercules comes out after and hurray, for a few brief seconds I can pretend that he's got a chance of winning this one. Of course, this means it's my selected number up next. Who did I end up with this year? Why, it's none other than...

...#29 Rick Martel!

Ooh, it's been a little while, hasn't it? Whoo, this is a pick that I can get behind. And of course, this means that #30 Ted DiBiase rounds out our field and he goes right after Herc' as he enters. Virgil decides to stick around at ringside even though all managers have had to retreat to the back after their wrestler enters. Jesse claims that Virgil is a bodyguard rather than a manager so he gets off on technicality. It's all about those legal loopholes, baby.

This means we've got eight men left to bring this one home. DiBiase chops that down to seven by whipping Rooster into the turnbuckle so hard he flies over and out. To DiBiase's credit his offence is looking really good today. Herc' batters on DiBiase but Brutus comes up from behind and slaps on the Sleeper Hold. They flail around and DiBiase and Barbarian come in and shove both men over the top. DiBiase gloats like a total dickbag, boo!

Your time in the sun was all too brief, my friend

You know who's still in with a shout? My main man, Rick Martel! Come on! He eats a shoulder tackle and a powerslam from Barbarian, who then goes up top for a flying headbutt. He lands about six inches short but Martel decides to sell it anyway. The botchfest continues as Martel dodges Barbarian and goes for a dropkick which barely scratches Barbarian but he flings himself over the top rope all the same. Hurray?

Akeem goes for an avalanche on Martel, who dodges out of the way and returns fire with a series of dropkicks and for one brief second it looks like Martel is going to get the drop on the big man but then he goes for a crossbody. Akeem just catches him out of the air and dumps him to the outside. Aww. Oh well, Martel got a moment to shine and he got me a top four finish for the second year in a row so I'm not doing too badly.

DiBiase begins directing Akeem's attacks on Studd. It's a nice way of showing he's a tactical heel. Akeem hits Studd with an avalanche and goes back to the well but Studd pulls DiBiase in the way and the smaller man gets squished. Studd knocks Akeem back with a weak shot and it's enough to send him out of the match. We're deep in the closing stages now. It's either going to be Studd or it's going to be DiBiase and I know which man I'm rooting for.

DiBiase realises the situation he's wound up in and tries to offer Studd a deal. Yes, this is exactly what I've been talking about. Here's the DiBiase that I've been wanting to see. This show marks a big step up in DiBiase's all round game, I really hope it continues. Studd refuses DiBiase's money and starts kicking him about. He follows up with a butterfly suplex and a gutwrench suplex and I don't know where Studd's been for the last few years but wherever it is he's come back with some actual workrate.

Take the money, John! Just think of all the tall-length jeans you'll be able to buy!

There's only one way that this goes now. DiBiase eats a clothesline and gives it a massive sell and then Studd tosses him over the top to win the Rumble! Virgil can't take seeing his boss get beat so he rushes the ring but Studd sees him coming and beats the poo poo out of him as well. That's right, the final moments of this show are Big John Studd throwing Virgil to the outside. Talk about making sure you send the crowd home nonplussed.

All in all though this was a solid Rumble. It was fun most of the way through and had a number of very memorable spots. While I'm not exactly enthused by the winner I'm glad they avoided going down the predictable Hulk/Savage route and tried to do something different. Even Studd winning doesn't matter too much because we're still pre-Wrestlemania title shot so this win doesn't really have much meaning to it.

And there it is, Royal Rumble 1989 is done and dusted. This was very much a show of two halves. The Rumble was a fun ride that wasn't amazing but nevertheless managed to keep me entertained almost the whole way through. However, everything before the Rumble was some of the most awful dreck in this or any era. One other thing I appreciate is that coming out of this there's a decent number of Wrestlemania match-ups that already look likely and this is the first time we've really been able to see that build in story. If not for the Rumble this would be a one Kane PPV but in this case it gets three.

/10

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Gorilla was really bad at commentary.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
This thread has made me go back and watch old Royal Rumbles. It's an incredible blast of nostalgia. Thanks for that :)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Rarity posted:

Take the money, John! Just think of all the tall-length jeans you'll be able to buy!

I love watching Dibiase beg off in a panic when things stop going his way :allears:

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Now that episode of Main Event :colbert:

I've realized also I think that's probably the first wrestling related thing I actually watched as a kid. Neat enough thing to get hooked by

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
You can really see that they're getting a handle on what makes the Rumble interesting in 1989, even if they overdid the "tag teams coming out conveniently close together".

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!
Your growing appreciation of Big Bucks Ted and grudging approval of Big Jonathan Studly have almost made me forgive you for George.

Almost.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Wrestlemania V: I Need More 'Most Offensive Comment' Awards

What I Think I Know

• The Mega Powers Collide! It's Hulk vs. Savage in the main event and even though I know Hulk's coming away with the belt I'm still excited for this. It's the first Mania main event that I've been hyped for.
  • The Powers of Pain will take on Demolition for the tag belts. I had this spoiled for me on OSW Review but I don't mind because it was already painfully obvious
  • Beyond that there's nothing else I know for sure but a huge bunch of matches I can assume. Jake/Andre, Warrior/Rude, Rockers/Brain Busters, Hercules/DiBiase, maybe Hacksaw/Dino, perhaps Sherri/Robin. It's got the potential to be a really solid card.

It's April 1989, little Rarity is learning to play Amiga and across the Atlantic a threat to all humanity is brewing as all life risks being destroyed in the blast when THE MEGA POWERS EXPLODE. That's right, it's Wrestlemania V! We are back one more time live from Trump Plaza in Atlantic City, NJ and for a second it sounds like we've got someone new in the commentary booth but no, we are joined as ever by Gorilla Monsoon and Jesse Ventura. Having watched the entire show I have to say I'd have preferred it if we did have someone new in the booth tonight. Not to spoil you guys but these lads are not going to be having a good night.

Of course, this being Wrestlemania it means we need to kick off the festivities with this year's rendition of America The Beautiful. And just who have the WWF turned to to match the legacy of the likes of Ray Charles and Gladys Knight? Why, it's none other than the WWF Women's champion, Rockin' Robin.

...Hang on.

Wait, let me check my notes for a second.

Well I'll be damned

Nope, it's not a mistake. The WWF genuinely are looking for their Women's champ to follow in the footsteps of soul legends. In fact, this is the only their goddam champion of the women's division is going to feature on this show. Really working hard to keep those ladies strong, guys! Great job!

King Haku w/ Bobby Heenan vs. Hercules

I feel like over the last few shows I've started going off the boil on Herc'. He doesn't excite me the same way that he used to. I think it's a combination of two things. For starters, the face turn really isn't working for me. He doesn't get to do anything outside matches any more and his character has just gotten lost. As well, Herc' was all well and good in 1987 when there was barely anyone around who could go in the ring but now we've got guys like Shawn, Hennig, Owen, Rude and Arn showing up on the reg and he's not looking as good as he used to. But hey, none of that matters because we've got slightly updated logo graphics and that makes me nerd the hell out! One step closer to modernity!

It's so 3-dimensional!

Once Haku is in the ring Heenan asks everyone in the crowd to bow down once again, eliciting big boos in response. You think maybe Triple H was thinking of this shtick when he came up with King of Kings? Oh hey, Herc' has finally got some entrance music going for himself. It only took him four years. He could have stood to wait a bit longer though. It's just some trumpets and a bass drum and it sounds like something a high school marching band recorded. It's not exactly selling me on a Grecian demigod.

Haku ambushes Herc' right out the gates but Herc' shrugs it off and returns fire with a nasty press slam. Herc' keeps up the control so he decides to go after Heenan, chasing him around the outside right until he runs into a clothesline from Haku. Watching on again from the front row is none other than the 45th President of the United States and the man with the world's smallest hands, Donald Trump who I'm sure is enjoying the sight of a beefy white man beating up a minority with ideas above his status.

The action pauses for a moment as Haku looks for a contact lens

Back in the ring Haku hits a stalling backbreaker and then traps Herc' in a bear hug. In one of their few shining moments on commentary Gino and Jesse debate the merits of different bear hug techniques. They go very in-depth and it really sells the legitimacy of wrestling as a combat sport. These days Michael Cole would just yell “OH MY!” while JBL made a joke about Zeus loving a swan. Herc' breaks free but Haku quickly halts his comeback.

The momentum shifts when Haku whiffs a second rope crossbody and Herc' follows up with a beautiful powerslam. Herc' goes up top to fly but leaps off into a stiff kick from Haku. Silly Herc', you know your name's not Icarus. Not one to be beat, however, Haku decides to make his own top rope blunder by missing a frog splash. Herc' connects with a back suplex with a bridge and gets himself a win. Is this the first victory I've seen Herc' pull off in the timeline? I think it might be!

This was very much a filler match. I can't say there was anything here I found objectionable but there was nothing exciting going on here either. It did make me happy to see Herc' come away with a win cause I feel like he's nearing the end of his time. As for Haku, he's still not really feeling settled in his position. I've talked before about how this gimmick is totally wrong for him and I've still got that feeling. I don't get why they couldn't just keep his Islander style for this singles run.

Time for our first undead sighting of the evening as we head to the back with Zombie Mean Gene who is with the Rockers. Now over the last couple of shows we've seen a sustained feud between the Rockers and the Brain Busters so tonight they will of course be facing... the Twin Towers?! Oh, you can gently caress right off. Shawn says that tonight they'll be showing the Towers something new because they won't be able to catch “greased lightning”. In other words, Shawn will be systematic, hydromatic and ultramatic. Marty adds that they'll need to “rock and roll” and “slam and jam”. I think he's mostly shooting for enigmatic.

It's the Heartbreak Car!

The Twin Towers w/ Slick vs. The Rockers

Ok but seriously, why the gently caress is this happening? I was so hype to see the Rockers go up against the Brain Busters. It was one of THE matches I was most excited for from this card and it looked like such a lock to be on the show as well. It's one of the dream matches in the current tag division and it had so much potential and I just want to see Arn spinebuster Shawn forever and I can't believe that instead I have to watch them go up against Big Bossman and loving AKEEM.

However, I will admit that Slick makes for a very good Olivia Newton-John

The Rockers come out to some of the most generic guitar music imaginable. It really doesn't say 'flashy babyfaces'. The match kicks off with them giving the Towers the runaround, using their speed to dance away from the Towers' blows. Marty gets in a cheap shot and Gino describes it as “exciting and innovative”. Yeah, it's all downhill for commentary from here. In a break in the action Akeem does his weird racist arm flail taunt so Shawn responds the only way he can: the moonwalk! Now that's how you respect black culture!

The Rockers start working over Akeem's left arm but when Marty leapfrogs over him he lands right into Bossman's grasp and Akeem follows up with a shoulder block. The Towers follow up with a double avalanche and the Towers begin to dominate. Bossman grabs hold of Marty and Akeem runs up but Marty elbows Bossman and ducks out the way so Akeem smashes right into his tag partner. Marty crawls through Akeem's leg to make the hot tag and the Rockers hit a double shoulder tackle on Akeem.

Shawn tries to keep things going but he runs right into a big clothesline from Akeem that plain drops him dead. Ow! Bossman goes up top but he whiffs a body splash, as seems to be his wont. The action is really starting to fly by now. Shawn goes for a hurracanrana to Bossman but he gets caught so Marty has to slide in to trip Bossman up. Really smart little spot, that.

Not a healthy landing for Shawn here

The Rockers follow with a double dropkick to Akeem and a botched double dropkick to Bossman. Shawn totally mistimes it so he whiffs on the connection. Shawn goes up top and tries a senton but Bossman plain catches him out of the air and uses the momentum to twist into a spinning powerbomb. It's loving beautiful. Akeem follows up with a splash and the Towers get the victory.

Oh my god, this was so much better than I was expecting. Shawn and Marty managed to drag an entertaining match out of goddam Akeem which is nothing short of miraculous. I loved the psychology of the two speedy dudes trying to keep away from the two lumbering fat fucks, they came up with some innovative things and drat, that spinning powerbomb spot is something I'd still go 'holy poo poo' for in 2017. By the end I didn't even really mind that I'd missed out on that Brain Busters match. Big props to everyone involved. Yes, even Akeem.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rarity posted:

It's April 1989, little Rarity is learning to play Amiga and across the Atlantic a threat to all humanity is brewing as all life risks being destroyed in the blast when THE MEGA POWERS EXPLODE. That's right, it's Wrestlemania V!

We can joke about it now, but it was like growing up in the Cold War if you were old enough to really understand what was going on - the Mega-Powers exploding had us all fearing for our lives. My dad was building an underground shelter to protect us from.... THE MADNESS! while my mother would just gently weep all day while clutching a WWF-brand crucifix with Hulk Hogan on it.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Oct 14, 2017

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

...while my mother would just gently weep all day which clutching a WWF-brand crucifix with Hulk Hogan on it.

You just know that Jesus Hogan would completely no-sell that crucifixion

and after only two and a half days, he’d leap out of the tomb with his hand cupped theatrically around his ear and leg-drop all the centurions who were just about to powerbomb the Macho Matthew through a table

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
i hope you realize now that bossman is good + great

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
So begins the reign of Mr Wrestlemania.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The delivery of Jesse saying "I believe he irritated Akeem!" after That loving Clothesline kills me every time.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MotU posted:

Bossman was pretty good for a big man.

Also, I laugh every time I think about his hilariously redneck family at the Hall of Fame ceremony.

I'm the only person who likes OMG/Akeem. :ohdear:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Randaconda posted:

I'm the only person who likes OMG/Akeem. :ohdear:

I do too!

I mean, I'm embarrassed about it, but that doesn't stop me liking pro-wrestling either! :)

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

MotU posted:

Sorry, I'm not going to start thinking someone is good cause they managed to have a decent match with Shawn Michaels. Even Hogan managed that :colbert:

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
shawn michaels was like 10 years old bossman carried the baby boy

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rarity posted:

Sorry, I'm not going to start thinking someone is good cause they managed to have a decent match with Shawn Michaels. Even Hogan managed that :colbert:

Hogan carried Shawn. :colbert:

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Hogan vs. HBK was a bad match actually

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

:colbert:

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
Bret would never do that!

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Any match I had that much fun watching will never be a match I call bad.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

astrollinthepork posted:

Bret would never do that!

Well, Bret was a professional (mostly), and didn't throw a hissy fit everytime he didn't get his way like Shawn.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Randaconda posted:

Well, Bret was a professional (mostly), and didn't throw a hissy fit everytime he didn't get his way like Shawn.

Agreed, Shawn was way better than Bret

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

KungFu Grip posted:

Hogan vs. HBK was a bad match actually

This is the worst take in the entire thread

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It is still a thing of beauty that he somehow took TWO bumps from the boot.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Benne posted:

This is the worst take in the entire thread

agreed, HBK's petulance was never funnier

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
In any other instance that would be unprofessional but gently caress Hogan.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Hogan and Shawn deserved each other. They're both scumbags.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Hogan and Shawn deserved each other. They're both scumbags.

Shawn was. Wasn't by the time this went down.

Hogan is. Probably always will be

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Shawn absolutely was and still is a scumbag.

Nothing worse than a total piece of poo poo who thinks he's found Jesus.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I didn't know Jim Cornette posted here. Did Kane buy your account for you?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
We return to the back where Ted DiBiase and Virgil are waiting with... Tony Schiavone? ...Huh. I never knew you were in the WWF, Tony. DiBiase's about to go up against Brutus Beefcake and he's very excited to be doing it in front of Donald Trump. Of course he does, after all they share a passion for profiting on the back of underpaid black labour. DiBiase spends thousands on keeping his hair finely coiffed and he's not going to let Brutus ruin that. And oh look, making its first appearance in the thread is wrestling's best fake title until the Internet title, it's the Million Dollar Belt. DiBiase says he's broken the bank to kit this thing out in gold and diamonds.

So is the belt looking so cheap an intentional part of the joke?

Ted DiBiase w/ Virgil vs. Brutus Beefcake

You can really tell the WWF are starting to step up their production values now because Brutus has also joined the music-haver train. It's really lame though. It sounds like the main menu music from a SNES run-and-gun game. Even so the crowd is super hot for him and to their credit, they have been really up for it so far. Jesse wonders if Trump would ever get a haircut from Brutus. Judging by the state of his mop in 2017 I think it's safe to say the answer is yes.

Brutus kicks things off strong with a series of back body drops and scoop slams. DiBiase scrambles to the outside and calls for a timeout. Snivelly coward DiBiase is great. The match continues with the most basic, brawly stuff possible. It's really beginning to feel like this style of wrestling is on its way out. It's by no means on its deathbed just yet but you can see the signs of the faster, more technical style winning over the fans.

DiBiase connects with a second rope axe handle and Jesse says DiBiase never makes mistakes. Five seconds later, DiBiase drops his head early and Brutus rolls him up in a small package. What do you call that then, Jesse? DiBiase locks in the Million Dollar Dream but Brutus has enough left in the tank to reach the ropes. He responds by shoving DiBiase's face into the turnbuckle a whole bunch of times.

It's no laughing matter, turnbucklephobia is serious

This match is really starting to drag now (it's the second longest match of the night for some reason). Brutus slaps on the Sleeper Hold to DiBiase but Virgil climbs up on the apron so Brutus lets go and tries to stop him. This gives DiBiase the chance to ambush so they spill to the outside and brawl and the grand sum of all of this is both men get counted out. Brutus grabs the clippers so DiBiase and Virgil run to the back. Jesse says they're escaping from “assault with a deadly weapon”. Sure thing, Jess. And nothing of value was achieved.

The match sucked, the finish was even worse. Can we just move along please?

So it's time to flash back in time to the special Wrestlemania breakfast and we can put that previous unpleasantness out of our minds because now making his return to the thread is none other than your friend and mine, Lord Alfred Hayes!

Hello darkness, my old friend

Somewhere along the way my ironic love for Alfred has turned into genuine love for Alfred. I'm not sure how this happened, gentle readers, but I assure you that no one is more concerned about it than me. So Alfred is with the Bushwhackers who are getting in a nutritious brunch before their match tonight and getting in a lot of it because they are shovelling food into their mouths. Alfred calls them offensive outside the ring. Haha. He has a crack at interviewing them but he doesn't get very far because they keep talking with their mouths full. Etiquette, Bushwhackers! Etiquette! Those kind of table manners would get you three days in the stocks in Grand Britainnia. Alfred says it will have to be left as “primitive, private opinion”. Oh, Alfred, how I missed you. Please never leave us again.

This was legit the best part of the show so far.

The Fabulous Rougeau Brothers w/ Jimmy Hart vs. The Bushwhackers

Once again the bookers of the tag division seem to have got all their matches jumbled up because here's another mismatch of teams that plays to nobody's strengths but hold your horses, let's forget about that because the Rougeaus are in the ring accompanied by Jimmy and – making its debut in the timeline – the sounds of All American Boys. I marked so loving hard when I realised it was playing, it's one of the most perfect wrestling themes I can imagine.

Confession: since it was linked in the thread I've listened to it about a hundred times.

An All-American-Except-New-Jersey Boy

Unfortunately it sounds like they've blown their entire music budget on that theme because when the Bushwhackers come out their theme is atrocious. It's literally the same three beats repeated over and over again to the point it drums through your head like a pneumatic drill. And I know I'm harping on about wrestler themes on this show but there's a whole bunch of new ones and they're one of my favourite things about wrestling. I'm one of those people who never skips the entrances in the video games.

The Bushwhackers get to the ring and start marching about like lunatics. Jesse says that they “look like they're on the joy juice”. Ok, I'll give you that one. They grab Jimmy's coat and try to pull it apart but the Rougeaus make the save so they whip the Rougeaus into Jimmy. Then they go back to the marching. Is this it? Is this what the Bushwhackers are? Lousy eating habits and marching? I can't say I'm a fan.

Oh god, here's where things on commentary really take a turn for the worse. Gino starts getting agitated about the Rougeaus moving to America. He doesn't think it's right that America should open its borders and accept them as its own. He doesn't think it's right that they should be welcome in this great nation when there's already so many people. We are talking Zeb Coulter levels of awful here. And ok, let's leave aside the fact that immigration is a complex social issue with no simple answers to focus on the most truly horrendous moment of this embarrassing debate. Jesse believes that America should be accepting to people of other countries and cites the Statue of Liberty and her famous welcome. And Gino... Well, Gino's got an answer for him.

MOST OFFENSIVE COMMENT

Gorilla Monsoon: We've already got all the tired and poor!

Oh really, Gino?

Oh really?

OH REALLY!

Congrats, Gino! A lot of people said a lot of lovely things tonight but your casual erasure of third world poverty won you the crown. Enjoy it, boyo, you earned it.

(If you find these images distressing and would like to help, there's a bunch of great humanitarian charities currently working to prevent wide-scale famine across East Africa. If you've got a few spare pounds/dollars/your local denomination kicking about the back of your sofa then there aren't many better places it could go.)

Right, let's move away from that distastefulness shall we?

Thankfully, Gino and Jesse have also moved away from that line of discussion. They're now trying to work out which Bushwhacker is which but neither of them can. However, Jesse does know that Luke's got no teeth. Meanwhile, going to a man who is far too talented for any of this bullshit, Jacques tries to get the crowd going in a “USA” chant. The Rougeaus total ignorance of the crowd's hatred for them is so drat entertaining.

There's also wrestling happening here, to a degree. Jacques slaps on an abdominal stretch and Raymond comes in on top with a crescent kick. The Rougeaus start celebrating but Raymond turns around into the Battering Ram. The Bushwhackers follow up with a double gutbuster and pick up the victory.

Holy poo poo, there were so many things wrong with this. The match was completely dull and a giant waste of the Rougeaus. They're the best thing going in the tag division and they should not have wound up mired in this bullshit. They deserve so much better and I really hope we're going to see them get a solid push after this show. And for gently caress sake, the commentary here reached the point where I stopped making detached sardonic jokes about outdated 80s attitudes and started being horrified. I just want to forget this entire thing.

Oh yeah, after the match Sean Mooney is trying to interview fans at ringside but the Bushwhackers come up and lick him. The perfect poo poo topping to a poo poo sundae.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
I've always liked the build up and the reveal of the Million Dollar Belt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBjwerkhQCw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpNV_B3IfTU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Twf-t4ztH_s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HbiXEnFJYw