Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
:siren:Final(?) video::siren: 39: Domestic Dispute/Polsy

Hi. You may remember me from such projects as blind LP'ing The Evil Within two years ago, which actually went pretty well.

Well this is the same thing except it's the sequel and it's launch day as compared to about a year after the game came out, so we're gonna learn to survive! Together!

The Evil Within 2 is a direct sequel, following our brave protagonist Sebastian Castellanos as he tries to find his daughter I guess? I was pretty sure she was dead. For some reason we're going back into STEM, probably related to the daughter thing. If you haven't seen the previous game you're going to definitely be missing some context. Will all the plot holes be filled? Is SCIENCE?! still the reason everything is screwed up? Jeez, is Joseph still alive?

The game is pretty fresh but there's still plenty of info out there if you look for it. I've been keeping myself blind from drat near all media on this game. I've seen one trailer and some promotional screens, and I plan to keep it that way. :siren:DON'T SPOIL ANYTHING YOU JERKS:siren:

Videos!
1: STEM 2 Electric Boogaloo/Polsy
2: New Game, Old Noises/Polsy
3: Clean Your Plate/Polsy
4: Old Friends/Polsy
5: Train-ing Day/Polsy
6: The Most Dangerous Game/Polsy
7: Saferoom Expansions/Polsy
8: Spooky Ghost Lady/Polsy
9: Master of Stealth/Polsy
10: Truck Stopped/Polsy
11: Back On The Plot/Polsy
12: Creepy Crawlies/Polsy
13: Fond Memories/Polsy
14: Timely (Aim) Assistance/Polsy
15: Cut That Out/Polsy
16: The Gallery and Faceoff/Polsy
17: Art Appreciation Day/Polsy
18: A Fatal Frame/Polsy
19: Sticky White Liquid/Polsy
20: Picking Fights/Polsy
21: The Mighty Boot/Polsy
22: Technical Support/Polsy
23: Shop Safety/Polsy
24: The Error Within/Polsy
25: Photo Finish/Polsy
26: Dungeoneering/Polsy
27: The Joy of Nature/Polsy
28: Unsafe Room/Polsy
29: Memories/Polsy
30: Flame On!/Polsy
31: Mandatory Blood Level/Polsy
32: Forgiveness/Polsy
33: Barbeque/Polsy
34: Psych-Out/Polsy
35: Loose Ends/Polsy
36: Emergency Psychoanalysis/Polsy
37: Sequel Power Up/Polsy
38: Everything's Gonna be All White/Polsy
39: Domestic Dispute/Polsy

dscruffy1 fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Nov 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

dscruffy1 posted:

Will all the plot holes be filled?

I haven't seen anything of this game but

hahahahahahaha

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

Holy cripes that was fast.

Sebastian is FULL OF EMOTIONS now. Weird, considering he was so :geno: the last time around.

I'm thinking these Mobius fellas are going to screw us over before the game is through.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Inferior posted:

Sebastian is FULL OF EMOTIONS now. Weird, considering he was so :geno: the last time around.

I'm thinking these Mobius fellas are going to screw us over before the game is through.

This game needs to end with an explanation that he was just drunk as poo poo for the whole first game to explain why he's suddenly behaving like a normal human this time around.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

chitoryu12 posted:

This game needs to end with an explanation that he was just drunk as poo poo for the whole first game to explain why he's suddenly behaving like a normal human this time around.

That is one way to explain the new voice actors in EW2. But how does Kidman got a "younger" voice during all the years working for Mobius?

OutofSight fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Oct 13, 2017

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
are the plot holes actual holes in logic or is it just stuff people care about that isn't actually important

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

So far I'm liking this a lot more than the first. It seems that they've realized how many people were utterly baffled by the weirdness of the first game and are taking it in good humor.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

The Administrator needs to get some beauty-sleep.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

OutofSight posted:

That is one way to explain the new vioce actors in EW2. But how does Kidman got a "younger" voice during all the years working for Mobius?

She was drugged with something that suppressed her emotions in the first game.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

White Coke posted:

She was drugged with something that suppressed her emotions in the first game.

Not too far off the mark, actually. She emotes a hell of a lot more in the dlc, but that mostly involves her swearing like a champ. Still better than her wooden performance in the main game.

Inferior posted:

Oh yeah, I've put about 2-3 hours into the game so far, and the new cast are all about EMOTING! It reminds me a lot of the difference between Condemned 1&2, and not just with the fact that you play a police officer whose life goes to poo poo in between the two games.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Oh yeah, I've put about 2-3 hours into the game so far, and the new cast are all about EMOTING! It reminds me a lot of the difference between Condemned 1&2, and not just with the fact that you play a police officer whose life goes to poo poo in between the two games.

At least Sebastian didn't change races between games...

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Oh my god this is just embarrassing now. THIS MACHINE, THESE BATHTUBS HOOKED UP TO 1920 TUBES, WILL LET OUR SPECIES ACHIEVE GREATNESS! Like, could you, I dunno, make a machine that doesn't look like some third graders made it out of their parents old shower Mr Angry Eyes Evil buisnessman?

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I'm about three hours in and this game is really fun you guys. It's less of a curated experience than the first one was so I'm worried I won't have as many spooked moments.

This video is definitely a spooked moment though.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Looks like the angle of the weird distortion effects at the kills are from the direction the photographer is facing when he does his thing.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

dscruffy1 posted:

I'm about three hours in and this game is really fun you guys. It's less of a curated experience than the first one was so I'm worried I won't have as many spooked moments.

This video is definitely a spooked moment though.

Your avatar is curiously apropos. That's one hell of a design for a monster.

I'm surprised that they didn't address how unprepared Sebastian seems to be, given that it's in Mobius' best interest to have him at least as well equipped as the squad they sent in. He didn't even ask Kidman where the gun locker is in his safe room! They could have spared a line or two to say that no, this isn't The Matrix and they can't just magic up a million assault rifles.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

inflatablefish posted:

Your avatar is curiously apropos. That's one hell of a design for a monster.

I'm surprised that they didn't address how unprepared Sebastian seems to be, given that it's in Mobius' best interest to have him at least as well equipped as the squad they sent in. He didn't even ask Kidman where the gun locker is in his safe room! They could have spared a line or two to say that no, this isn't The Matrix and they can't just magic up a million assault rifles.

I wonder how getting guns even works in this game. Does it ever explain what the goo actually is?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

chitoryu12 posted:

I wonder how getting guns even works in this game. Does it ever explain what the goo actually is?

I'm talking right out of my rear end here, but I assume, since this is some weird collective dream bullshit, that the brain goo is basically a stand-in for brute forcing your way to domination over aspects of the dream. Like I guess for a control or whatever, its very easy to bend poo poo however you please, but for average jos like Sebastian, its hard enough as is to just lucid dream on your own, but to try and command lucidity and control in the hell bathtub, the goop is an easy enough established currency by the collective unconsciousness to make yourself stronger.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Those red curtains and black and white floor patterns were very very Twin Peaks.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Given how those photokills work I can only imagine Rebirth needed a 78-hit zandatsu combo to pull off.

I was kind of expecting to see some of this fake town, but I guess that's just right outside the door here. Hell of a way to get a starter weapon, too.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Did Seb show some development in three years and quit smoking? Not seeing a lot of matches here...

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Well, Ruvik isn't here, and Lily doesn't have as far as we know has such a reaction to fire. Remember, the mental world has it roots in who's is the core, and its Lily here. Don't why things are going bad, my guess based on how Lily isn't when they can find her is that someone else is acting as the core somehow.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Lily's probably already been eaten up by or at the very least ceded much of her control to whoever this is. I'm thinking whatever Ruvik did to Leslie created a gestalt personality that wouldn't be quite either him or Leslie perhaps and thus not as susceptible to fire but that idea mostly only has any merit because we didn't really learn a lot about who Leslie was before Ruvik changed him and getting rid of Ruvik entirely in favor of someone we've never seen before but also has immense dream-changing power like him seems unlikely. Slo-mo artsy killcam work isn't much of an MO to go off of though.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I LOVE THIS GAME and will be watching this LP for sure because I can't get enough of watching people be spooked by it. Just thought I would throw that out there.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

I am looking forward to the rest of this LP and also to CJacobs' eventual take on it. Two great tastes that go great together!

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I verbally go through four emotions in three seconds and I think it's great.

3: Clean Your Plate/Polsy

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Daily updates? You're spoiling us, scruffy :allears:

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Aumanor posted:

Daily updates? You're spoiling us, scruffy :allears:

I might even be able to keep this schedule up :v:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Gunpowder, herbs, and weapon parts.

If this ends in a post-credits scene where Umbrella shows up to Krimson City, I'm going to yell.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Also, the detail in this game is incredible. Along with all the little animation things like Sebastian shaking his hand after shoving something or reacting to bad smells, they correctly modeled O'Neal leaving the safety on his 1911. The revolver in the cutscene in the bar even had modeled rifling in the barrel.

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"

chitoryu12 posted:

Also, the detail in this game is incredible. Along with all the little animation things like Sebastian shaking his hand after shoving something or reacting to bad smells, they correctly modeled O'Neal leaving the safety on his 1911. The revolver in the cutscene in the bar even had modeled rifling in the barrel.

There's also the progressive reloading press with bullets and cases in the feeders, and the organized stack of RCBS reloading die boxes behind it.

SOMEONE on the staff is or knows a gun nerd!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Sebastian pulling a Snake on O'Neal is my favorite thing.

edit: They made him so much sassier in general in this one and I very much enjoy it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

EVERYTHING is just better in this one. Unless it goes wacky pretty soon, so far it feels a lot more solid in what it's trying to be.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
Oh boy here we go.

A word of warning do all the side quests a mostly spoiler free Review of the game I watched mentioned that some side quests do have cutoff points.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Looks like Sebastian will be joining York as video game protagonists with an obsession with coffee.

But on the note of guns, I would really like it if games like this, where you have very little ammo, had the player character load bullets into the magazine/clip/whatever instead of just loading a fresh one every time.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Do high-grade weapon parts unlock the upgrade potential on all four branches or do you have to burn them on each branch in turn?

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Glazius posted:

Do high-grade weapon parts unlock the upgrade potential on all four branches or do you have to burn them on each branch in turn?

From what I can tell, it unlocks all branches. Using a high grade part upgrades the weapon to level 2, which unlocks all level 2 upgrade branches.

cokerpilot posted:

Oh boy here we go.

A word of warning do all the side quests a mostly spoiler free Review of the game I watched mentioned that some side quests do have cutoff points.

The next ~7 episodes are farting around chapter 3 and exploring the area and finding spooky stuff and game mechanics, so I think I've got the side quests down. There's one area I couldn't figure out how to get into, but eh.

CJacobs posted:

I LOVE THIS GAME and will be watching this LP for sure because I can't get enough of watching people be spooked by it. Just thought I would throw that out there.

I'm looking forward to a mildly informed playthrough. I wish I wasn't busy until November so I could just keep recording and injecting this game straight into my eyeballs it's real good.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
It's a little old reunion, but still not with Joseph.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

dscruffy1 posted:

It's a little old reunion, but still not with Joseph.

Ummm... Scruffs... have you at any point considered turning off your flashlight when attempting to sneak around? I haven't played this game, mind, but I think it might make you slightly less conspicuous.

Aumanor fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Oct 16, 2017

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Aumanor posted:

Ummm... Scruffs... have you at any point considered turning off your flashlight when attempting to sneak around? I haven't played this game, mind, but I think it might make you slightly less conspicuous.

I thought the same thing while I was playing, but there's a tooltip that states that enemies don't react to the flashlight so you don't need to worry about switching it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So is the giant wall of safes and their corresponding keys also present for both you and her? Or just the upgrade screen?

I have a feeling that with all the open-world stuff, random bonus keys are probably a thing of the previous games.

• Locked thread