Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

DoubleNegative posted:

Not everything needs two byproducts just to make logistics that much harder.

You'll be happy to find out that some things will have three or four

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Dirk the Average posted:

Loaders are basically a necessity for AngelBobs, and they have their own filters. Warehouses are similarly really damned handy, since with 24 input/output locations, you can use them as intermediate steps to filter out products and direct waste to certain parts of the factory.

Loaders are the poo poo, and are right up there with belts and assemblers as things to keep automated and two stacks on you at all times

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

DoubleNegative posted:

I started up my first AngelBobs game, and right now it's looking like to automate even the most basic plate production line, I need filter inserters. Is that right, or am I overlooking something incredibly obvious?

This feels like unnecessary complexity for its own sake. Not everything needs two byproducts just to make logistics that much harder.

pumpinglemma posted:

Crushed stone can't be loaded into furnaces, and crushed ore can't be loaded into a crushed stone assembler. So if you set up one of each, even non-filter inserters will do the right thing. But yeah, locking filter inserters behind basic electronic boards is a bit bullshit.

Yeah, early on my go-to for "dumb" filtering is plopping down four assemblers, 2 on each side of a crushed stone/or line, and set them to make normal stone. You will NEVER run out of stone in AngelBob.

Afterwards, when I have a few more techs and filter inserters, I start feeding crushed stone into liquifiers to be made into mineralized water that then goes into a clarifier to be voided.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Thanks for the input guys, I'm starting a new vanilla game to explore more stuff so for now I won't try any more mods, but thanks for the pointers for the future!

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
These tips in no way will help you make your first Iron plate. The process to craft your first assembler will drive you mad.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

KirbyKhan posted:

These tips in no way will help you make your first Iron plate. The process to craft your first assembler will drive you mad.

Or...start with Quickstart mod with Angelbobs and avoid an hour of self-loathing.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
The self loathing is necessary.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

I didn't say there wouldn't be more self loathing.

Like when you start sorting ores. Or the first time you deal with Angels Petrochem.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Alkydere posted:

Or...start with Quickstart mod with Angelbobs and avoid an hour of self-loathing.

:shepicide: Some day I will remember to install a quickstart mod. The one that gives you a small personal roboport.

Anyway, thanks everyone for the tips regarding dumb filters. It's not remotely pretty, but I at least have the basics of a bus developing. :toot: It's amazing how dumb I feel about the game all over again.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Alkydere posted:

I didn't say there wouldn't be more self loathing.

Like when you start sorting ores. Or the first time you deal with Angels Petrochem.

When I was looking to automate Blue Science i’d got my plates (copper, steel and iron) all sorted. So batteries and motors weren’t an issue. However the printed circuit boards that needed plastic needed the whole petrochemical set up, so that took an hour or two.

Then looking to expand my sorters to MK2 required clay, so that’s a whole new chain.

It’s infuriating but satisfying at the same time.

Jeesis
Mar 4, 2010

I am the second illegitimate son of gawd who resides in hoaven.
So I just broke 100 hours of playing this dumb game. Here is my latest abomination that took me something like 3 hours to get where I wanted it and still I am not happy with the outcome.

It is a 4 lane science system that is infinitely scalable in any direction and can be added onto horizontally without any restructuring assuming there is space.

Here is what it looks like in full

I created a blueprint book with individual components broke down to allow for whatever size you desire for anyone interested.

https://pastebin.com/PHS98CAX

Flaws I noticed after completing it. 1. Considering each lane is self contained the self sorting portion using splitters at the top is pointless 2. It can only support 4 lanes but placing a science facility every other space could allow for 6 science packs but that would require losing science facilities and creating a mess that would make it non-scalable. 3. Removing the splitters could allow for loading 2 separate science packs per belt but that would require fuckery with transport belts that would honestly prolly not be too hard. 4. Upgrading it would be a agitating but I am not entirely sure there would be any benefit other than getting the items to blob faster from the entrance belts, but once they are going through the system it should be fine as there is never really any hurry with science packs it would seem. But I assume someone has made a either a mod or a website that converts everything to the next tier in blueprint format.

Anyone else see any glaring flaws in its design?

Jeesis fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Oct 16, 2017

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
There's no room for beacons. IMO I'd look into designs that have labs steal from each other, which works fine as long as it isn't more than 2 deep.

crackalackin
Sep 15, 2017

Get warehouses - not sure which mod that adds, bobs itself maybe? - and move all the things in there. Then put them into furnaces with normal inserters directly from it before you have filter inserters. It's an ok barrier so you have to hack some stuff together before you can set up real lines. Also never throw away that stone or slag, you'll run out of it faster than you think mid-game :D

@Jeesis: Does 0.15 not support pass-through science labs now? So an inserter can grab from a full science lab to put it into the next, so you have

B
B
B I SL I SL I SL
B
B
B

B=Belt, I = Inserter, SL = Science Lab

crackalackin fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Oct 16, 2017

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

I've always wondered why people make those massive belt loops for their science when a standard belt buffer works fine. I guess the moving beakers looks pretty but it seems overkill.

Especially when in comparison my science labs tend to be tiny and compact:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

post science setups? k

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

crackalackin posted:

@Jeesis: Does 0.15 not support pass-through science labs now? So an inserter can grab from a full science lab to put it into the next, so you have

B
B
B I SL I SL I SL
B
B
B

B=Belt, I = Inserter, SL = Science Lab

It still works but throughput gets hosed. If they held more than two beakers each then maybe but as is once you get past a handful of labs some will hardly ever run.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Have the boiler to steam engine ratios changed now? I just started this game for the first time in forever and everything's different, with steam being a separate resource now can you not have boilers in serial connection anymore?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
You can, only boilers are twice as powerful and you stick them sideways and chain the engines to the steam vent so it's 1 boiler to 4 engines

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Bhodi posted:

You can, only boilers are twice as powerful and you stick them sideways and chain the engines to the steam vent so it's 1 boiler to 4 engines

Oh, they changed it again? Was this recent?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Back in april, when 0.15 came out. Which is pretty much what everyone is playing now because they changed up the science packs. The picture on the wiki shows the essence of it. You can chain both boilers and steam engines.

https://wiki.factorio.com/Boiler

e: maybe stock is only 1 to 2. I think my recent bobs angels mod broke my brain about this, they changed up the ratios and have mk2 versions of everything.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

i thought it was 1:2

and yeah they changed how steam works in 0.15 -- the boilers themselves are much bigger now

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Stock boilers are 1 boiler to 2 engines, and you can run 20 boilers off 1 off-shore pump.

GoonGPT
May 26, 2006

Posting for a better future, today!
Delving into an angel bobs game, is there any point in powdering Ore? Or am I reading the math wrong and it's worth the extra step?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

nature6pk posted:

Delving into an angel bobs game, is there any point in powdering Ore? Or am I reading the math wrong and it's worth the extra step?

Powdering? You mean sorting it (albeit the sorter is a big grinder machine)? It basically gives you 1.5x ore, at least with iron and copper ore.

GoonGPT
May 26, 2006

Posting for a better future, today!
Processing the metal ores, and yes, apparently I've been working too hard and hosed up the math.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

After accruing 306 hours in Factorio I have finally done a "Lazy Bastard" run. Total time was 13:58 . I already have the 7/15 hour achievements, but it is nice to know I would have gotten at least the 15 with this run. I think 7 hours would be pretty tight. I played on a very small ribbon world, only a few chunks high. No biters. There ended up being so much water, I was kind of stuck. Not a lot of room to expand gave it some more challenge than normal.

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)

IncredibleIgloo posted:

After accruing 306 hours in Factorio I have finally done a "Lazy Bastard" run. Total time was 13:58 . I already have the 7/15 hour achievements, but it is nice to know I would have gotten at least the 15 with this run. I think 7 hours would be pretty tight. I played on a very small ribbon world, only a few chunks high. No biters. There ended up being so much water, I was kind of stuck. Not a lot of room to expand gave it some more challenge than normal.

Nice, congratulations. Lazy bastard and there is no spoon is hard, just because you still have to do a lot of hand crafting just to be time efficient.

I've never played on a ribbon world, is that something relatively new? I feel like I've heard a few people talking about them lately.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Dalaram posted:

Nice, congratulations. Lazy bastard and there is no spoon is hard, just because you still have to do a lot of hand crafting just to be time efficient.

I've never played on a ribbon world, is that something relatively new? I feel like I've heard a few people talking about them lately.

I think they have been available for a while, at least since you have been able to specify height or width of the map. You simply enter a value (I believe the number is in individual squares, not chunks) and it will limit the map. Oddly enough it treats the edge of the map as water, so you can plop a pump down at all the edges. If you are not careful with the amount of water, you can trap yourself in pretty easily.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
Yeah, they've been around for ages, at least since 0.12. However, I think the term 'ribbon world' is fairly new and it seems like a bit of a fad-type challenge at the moment.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
I tried to do a Bobangels run without using any logistics bots. I got through yellow science and GodMod 4s, but couldn't launch a rocket before I lost my will to live :saddowns:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Evilreaver posted:

I tried to do a Bobangels run without using any logistics bots. I got through yellow science and GodMod 4s, but couldn't launch a rocket before I lost my will to live :saddowns:

Is there a Bobs/Angels pack, or are you at the mercy of the respective devs to make sure you grab all seven hundred sub-mods?

kordansk
Sep 12, 2011

MrYenko posted:

Is there a Bobs/Angels pack, or are you at the mercy of the respective devs to make sure you grab all seven hundred sub-mods?

The forum threads make it pretty clear what goes together.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

MrYenko posted:

Both Bob and Archangel understand that not everyone wants the same things so they make their mods very, very modular. If you google up the factorio threads for them they'll tell you what needs what.

Suggested:
-Either Bob's Greenhouses or Archangel's biofarm(?) to create wood for circuits, otherwise you have to clearcut to make circuits until you get plastics set up to make synthetic wood.
-Warehouses. loving warehouses. Bob's Greenhouses is the simpler/cleaner of the two, the Archangel's algae farm stuff is for 0.15.x and then just rather lazily updated so there's a bunch of recipes to make alien artifacts that aren't used for science anymore.

Suggested to avoid:
-Bob's enemies
-Bob's Weapons: makes ammo production complicated as gently caress but gives you hilariously powerful weapons to deal with the giant biters that Bob's aliens gives you
-Bob's Modules

Beyond that, read up and make up your own mind.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
Had a week's vacation time, so I decided to try this on a whim. Vacation was over before I knew it. After 4 or 5 restarts because everything was a terrible mess and I was still learning the mechanics, I finally played a game to the end and launched a rocket after 25'ish hours. This game is like crack, and I can't wait to see what it'll be like once it's actually finished. Now I'm sitting at work trying to decide whether to start a new game with lessons learned or just continue my rocket launch game and just setting off into the wilds and start a new mega factory far away from my starter base.

AG3 fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Oct 23, 2017

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
I know a lot of people don't feel the same way but I actually enjoy the early, lovely burner tech phase of Factorio a lot and I like to restart as a result. I haven't played any mods that extend the burner phase yet but something about it really appeals to me, although I also love the high tech bot swarm phase. I like to keep one megafactory save file that I restart periodically and then some other random games I start up just for kicks.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
So what major gameplay additions are still outstanding and what's the rough ETA for factorio finally being considered complete? I'm in a perpetual state of wanting to play but not wanting to start a new mega factory because the last one that I made is no longer compatible with the current build

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

I think the current Beta is pretty good. The addition of Uranium was a game changer, as I struggled late game with power gen which Uranium has fixed which is nice.

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005

AG3 posted:

Had a week's vacation time, so I decided to try this on a whim. Vacation was over before I knew it. After 4 or 5 restarts because everything was a terrible mess and I was still learning the mechanics, I finally played a game to the end and launched a rocket after 25'ish hours. This game is like crack, and I can't wait to see what it'll be like once it's actually finished. Now I'm sitting at work trying to decide whether to start a new game with lessons learned or just continue my rocket launch game and just setting off into the wilds and start a new mega factory far away from my starter base.

I definitely recommend starting a new factory far away from your starter base. My current game is tremendously sprawled out, with 2 'ghost' factories that I abandoned maybe 100 hours ago that are still chugging along producing science and launching rockets. It takes about a 5 minute train ride to travel from my active factory to the ghost factories. I checked on them yesterday and they still have enough ore and uranium to keep chugging along for hundreds of hours. I have a 10-car train that rattles back and forth between the ghost factories and my active factory, carrying any excess resource-intensive products that aren't being used.

If you decide to build a new factory on the same map, I recommend LOTS of radar dishes. It's nice being able to inspect your old factory to see what it's doing via the map view instead of having to travel back and forth.

Speakers are nice if you want to more closely monitor the old base instead of leaving it to totally die. I have global playback on speakers near the old nuclear plant that will alert me if fuel rods are getting low, because a loss of power in the old base is the only possible way it could be overrun by biters. It's easy enough to zip over to the old factory and set up more uranium mines.

sharkbomb fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Oct 23, 2017

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

AG3 posted:

Bootstrapping a new factory is always easier than playing through the first two hours again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Oodles posted:

I think the current Beta is pretty good. The addition of Uranium was a game changer, as I struggled late game with power gen which Uranium has fixed which is nice.

Oh, it's brilliant, and even 2 years ago it was incredibly playable. I'm more interested in knowing when the final version is likely to be out and what additions are planned prior to Gold status.