Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.

Lord Krangdar posted:

They still never showed what F.P. got Jughead for his birthday, right?

A deleted scene on the season one DVDs showed it was a stuffed animal (Hot Dog) from his childhood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

Archie's mom will turn out to be the most-controlling Riverdale mother after its revealed that she joyfully shot Fred Andrews to coerce Archie into moving out of Riverdale. And she also murdered Grundy for taking his virginity.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Finally watched the premiere, it was really good. Cheryl is still the best. Ronnie is still the best. Alice is still the best. Betty is still the best. Archie is better than last year, and Jughead is still the worst, but I'm used to him now. As white trash I have a thing for bikers so at least his storyline will have something for me there, even if Cole Sprouse cruising around on a hog is hilarious to me.

Solid premiere for sure. I'm hoping the end of the episode means Greendale will serve a big part in the season, and we get some good Sabrina time in before they ship her off to her own show or w/e. I probably won't receive this, but a lesbian can dream.

bettyxveronica WHEN

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

esperterra posted:

bettyxveronica WHEN

I think their attempt at a kiss during Vixens tryouts being called out as hack by Cheryl was the first and last we're going to see of that.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I can dream, damnit.

I'm pretty sure they've already said nothing will happen, even.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

CottonWolf posted:

I thought we were meant to interpret that purely as a manipulative lie to control Archie?
We didn't get a definitive answer. It could have been true, but it's such a perfect story to tell to manipulate Archie that it could just as easily be a lie. I'm guessing we're probably never going to know the truth.

SereneCrimson posted:

Cheryl continues to be the most insane and best character. That loving hospital scene!!
Cheryl is the best.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

esperterra posted:

I can dream, damnit.

I'm pretty sure they've already said nothing will happen, even.

I think this show is definitely an ideal candidate for a wider spectrum of representation on television. However, to me season 1 didn't imply any of the main characters to be non straight/cis/genderqueer folks outside of Kevin and Joaquin, if either count as main. If they were to have any character explore something outside of their established sexualities this season it would feel like a pretty big shift in focus to me. However, the bisexual character Toni Topaz has been cast and is coming, so we'll see if they do anything interesting with her or just use her role as token representation for some of their audience. Hopefully Kevin becoming a full cast member and the extended episode order will mean they're going to be a bit more well-rounded about how they treat their queer characters this time around.

Regardless of what they do with character relationships and sexuality on the show, all I hope for is that it comes organically out of the characters and story and doesn't bend to the will of the Tumblr masses like so many shows do in this era.

e: if Toni is going to play any major part I'm guessing it'll be either some vaguely offensive cheesecake stuff with Betty or Veronica, or one of the other established characters like Valerie having been bisexual all the time. I was really hoping that they'd end up making Jughead asexual but not aromantic, but then the season finale happened and it's quite clear that's not the case. However, I don't mind, because the Imagine Dragons sequence up til Jughead putting on the jacket is my favorite moment of the show.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Oct 16, 2017

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I just hope that whatever they do with characters and sexuality, it's better than Kevin. And I don't even think he's an offensive portrayal, or anything, I know tons of gay dudes just like him. It just bothers me that, as far as I know about Kev in the comics, he was a bit more butch, a bit more of a bro, wanted to join the army etc, which would be a breath of fresh air compared to having another catty gay best friend character on TV.

Granted he didn't have a lot of screen time in S1 compared to the rest of the gang, so maybe they'll go more into that kind of poo poo this season. Maybe he wants to be a cop or smth idk. At the very least I hope whatever depth they give him isn't doubling down on just being gay.

Yer Burnt
Feb 26, 2007

If they choose to develop Moose more he might end up being a bro-y gay.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I wasn't a fan of Moose being Kev's jock hookup on the sly, tbh. But maybe.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I hope those episode titles and covers midway through the season imply an actual supernatural thing happening as opposed to just cute nods, especially since we don't know if they're going to be using Riverdale as a backdoor for the upcoming Sabrina series.

esperterra posted:

I just hope that whatever they do with characters and sexuality, it's better than Kevin. And I don't even think he's an offensive portrayal, or anything, I know tons of gay dudes just like him. It just bothers me that, as far as I know about Kev in the comics, he was a bit more butch, a bit more of a bro, wanted to join the army etc, which would be a breath of fresh air compared to having another catty gay best friend character on TV.

Granted he didn't have a lot of screen time in S1 compared to the rest of the gang, so maybe they'll go more into that kind of poo poo this season. Maybe he wants to be a cop or smth idk. At the very least I hope whatever depth they give him isn't doubling down on just being gay.

Yeah, that kinda struck me as odd, considering the showrunner writes Kevin more true to that character in the Afterlife With Archie comic, so this was clearly a conscious change on his part.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Our first Riverdale's Edge is up for those who care.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Good Lord, everyone is jumping on the Riverdale podcast bandwagon now. Sorry to all you latecomers, but I am on the Sex Archie train and I will ride it to hell if I have to. :colbert:

uptown
May 16, 2009

DivisionPost posted:

[*]Alice Cooper was pregnant long before Polly; she was pressured to abort it, but instead she carried it to term and gave it away. Betty's got a half-brother out in the ether.

Not to be too nitpicky, but wouldn't he be a full brother? Hal is the dad, as far as we know, right?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Spergatory posted:

Good Lord, everyone is jumping on the Riverdale podcast bandwagon now. Sorry to all you latecomers, but I am on the Sex Archie train and I will ride it to hell if I have to. :colbert:

I listen to Sex Archie and Maple Syrup, Blood Money. And even the MS,BM hosts are on the Sex Archie train.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

uptown posted:

Not to be too nitpicky, but wouldn't he be a full brother? Hal is the dad, as far as we know, right?

It being another man's child could be why he pressured her to abort. Or she got pregnant young and unwed and her parents pressured her idk.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Spergatory posted:

Not a podcast; Sepinwall-style text recap with multiple writers. And we’re on the Sex Archie train too.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
Your loyalty will be rewarded. I've just listened to 15 minutes of Maple Syrup, Blood Money and enjoyed it too. The official podcast is all right since they get actors and crew to talk with them. I've also tried a few other Riverdale podcasts that shall not be named because they were all garbo.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

This show is definitely going to suck this year. Half of season one was filler and if they ordered 22 episodes... it's going to be Glee all over again.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The best episodes were “filler” so I’m pretty loving excited.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

a new study bible! posted:

This show is definitely going to suck this year. Half of season one was filler and if they ordered 22 episodes... it's going to be Glee all over again.

You shut your whore mouth. Nothing will ever be as bad as Glee. It sits alone atop the garbage throne and nothing will ever replace it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

GreenNight posted:

I think I may just have to duck out of online discussion while the show airs. There's just so much nitpicking and negativity for anything that gets a vocal enough fandom. What did I feel was the weakest episode last season? I have no idea, it was all great because I watched it in a vacuum.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

GreenNight posted:

Hey man, if you enjoy Archie spinning his wheels with droopy-faced pussycat girl then more power to you.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

a new study bible! posted:

Hey man, if you enjoy Archie spinning his wheels with droopy-faced pussycat girl then more power to you.

Cool thanks for coming

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
“Droopy faced”.

That’s some high quality Internet Male right there.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

This is probably nothing but the Archie Twitter account keeps calling the killer The Black Hood and I don't know if their Twitter guy is just goofing on the look or if it's actually meant to be a different take on the Archie comics character, The Black Hood, an unpowered superhero vigilante.

Frankly I wouldn't mind the latter because it's a gateway drug to all sorts of wackiness but it's likely going to be much more mundane.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Argue posted:

This is probably nothing but the Archie Twitter account keeps calling the killer The Black Hood and I don't know if their Twitter guy is just goofing on the look or if it's actually meant to be a different take on the Archie comics character, The Black Hood, an unpowered superhero vigilante.

Frankly I wouldn't mind the latter because it's a gateway drug to all sorts of wackiness but it's likely going to be much more mundane.

It very obviously is, since Jughead called Archie Pureheart the Powerful. You know, this guy:

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I'm looking at Wikipedia, and the Black Hood's identity was exposed by a detective called Needlenose! And as we all know, needlenose was Reggie's favorite nickname for Jughead in the comics, right next to spindlesnoot!

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

My wife and I were finally able to sit down and watch the premier last night and a few takeaways:

Cheryl DESTROYS any scene that she is in. That scene with her mom was truly terrifying. The scene when Archie walks in on her with Fred and she kisses him on the head and says something about bestowing the kiss of life? Unreal. Archie left to himself staring at the big red lips on a motionless Fred was the brief bit of levity this episode needed.

I am not looking forward to the associated drama from the inevitable fallout between Betty and Jug. It is going to happen.

Veronica is definitely too good for Archie. I thought she was awesome for staying behind even when Archie was a total dick - but I hope that as an example for young girls it doesn't come across as like it being something that is "okay" to be in a relationship where you are treated poorly and talked down to. I am not sure if this is bordering SJW from me? I think it is largely coming out because I am a father and have a daughter and if some teenage kid ever talked to my daughter like that I would slap him. I would also slap either of my sons if they ever talked to a woman like that.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I think it’s okay because a) Archie was obviously lashing out because of stress and grief, not continuing a sustained pattern of abuse, and b) Veronica called Archie out on it, she didn’t meekly submit herself to him.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

JINGLE JANGLE

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Relationship ended with BETTY AND VERONICA
Now MIDGE is my new best teen drama crush

(Poor girl, she probably doesn't have a clue about Moose)

d0grent posted:

JINGLE JANGLE

:ssh: NOT SO LOUD

First Jingle Jangle, then 3 minutes later Jughead is talking about a straight up Prison Break. This show is out of control.

JethroMcB fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Oct 19, 2017

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Midge showed up? Awe yeah.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

esperterra posted:

Midge showed up? Awe yeah.

And she's gone now.

WE GOT US AN UNSUB IN RIVERDALE BOYS

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
:stare: the locker room scene (Did you notice how Cheryl's hair fell in profile shots as opposed to in portrait? CW S&P is having their cake and eating it too.)

Holy poo poo, that episode had it all. River Vixens, courtroom drama, the addition of a True Blood alumna to the cast, the reveal of Cheryl's new home, Cheryl as a Pussycat, a (surprisingly amicable!) Jughead/Veronica scene, Alice Cooper getting ENTIRELY too involved in EVERYBODY'S drama, no fewer than two betrayals...and then we threw some Zodiac flavor into the mix at the end? The season premiere was good but kind of underwhelming, given that it was essentially a bottle episode primarily dedicated to everybody sitting in the hospital waiting room - shower sex detour notwithstanding - while tying up the big cliffhanger. (Speaking of, how quickly everybody in town forgets that Pop Tate showed up there, in a time of crisis, to feed them out of the goodness of his heart.) This episode was Riverdale operating at 110% once again.

I love this stupid show.

JethroMcB fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Oct 19, 2017

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Veronica is definitely too good for Archie. I thought she was awesome for staying behind even when Archie was a total dick - but I hope that as an example for young girls it doesn't come across as like it being something that is "okay" to be in a relationship where you are treated poorly and talked down to. I am not sure if this is bordering SJW from me? I think it is largely coming out because I am a father and have a daughter and if some teenage kid ever talked to my daughter like that I would slap him. I would also slap either of my sons if they ever talked to a woman like that.

These characters aren't really role models, and aren't presented as such. I'm sure you wouldn't want your daughter blackmailing someone with video of a murder, either.

Lord Krangdar fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Oct 19, 2017

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Huh, now that we've got a better look at him, it really is the Black Hood. Cute.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Mark Consuelos is so good, y'all. He basically plays Marco Rubio on Amazon's Alpha House, and it is a goddamn riot. So happy to see him here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSW9a92f8nU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I loved the locker room scene as a reminder that, between Cheryl and Betty, Betty’s actually the crazy one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Nonono they didn't just kill Moose, he's too pretty to die

and loving lol at the scary drug Jingle Jangle. This show is too precious for words

• Locked thread