Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Forward Toward
Aug 14, 2015

No Tank You. not today tanks. Tank you very much.

TANK TANK TANK

VRRRRRRRRRRRRR

gary oldmans diary posted:

i just used technology that was developed for travel into space. that suggests that im an astronaut

Velcro Shoes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

i have vouchers for coins. you are interested. you make an offer for a coin at $17.13 for 1 coin. after the exchange you inquire as to how much the coin is worth
i say "apparently $17.13"

the bridge deed/voucher/bill of sale essentially works the same way. youre expected to sell it to someone else or take the loss

i didnt even see the original comparison but i can reason what it must have been based on how bitcoin works. neither the bridge or the "coin" has an inherent worth by merit of what those things conventionally are (bridge a physical construct, coin a commodity backed by govt or having material worth)
the deception underlying the bridge scam is that the bridge is not owned by the seller and cannot legally be transferred to the buyer. that doesn't mean that the bridge isn't valuable. if the bridge can be used to generate revenue (via tolling or facilitating commerce) then it clearly has value

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

COMRADES posted:

Is this relevant though considering that Satoshi never meant for it to get this far and it was just a proof of concept thing? Assuming I'm remembering right ofc.
i don't know if that's true, but if anything, i think it's an argument against it being a scam.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Russian state now brilliantly monopolizing the unreported income industry

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Uranium 235 posted:

the deception underlying the bridge scam is that the bridge is not owned by the seller and cannot legally be transferred to the buyer. that doesn't mean that the bridge isn't valuable. if the bridge can be used to generate revenue (via tolling or facilitating commerce) then it clearly has value
how can you say that only real bridges are of value when virtualBridge is clearly the currency of the future?

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

hey i think thats great. changes nothing but wonderful
lol are you getting snarky because i answered your question?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

how can you say that only real bridges are of value when virtualBridge is clearly the currency of the future?

Someone should make a bridgecoin, I've even got the perfect tag line.

If you believe in bitcoin, i've got a bridge to sell you.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/bridgecoin/

gently caress!

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Uranium 235 posted:

lol are you getting snarky because i answered your question?
the problem as i represented it (which you should use if you are referring to me and not to someone else using a different representation) is you are buying something that essentially doesnt exist ("the bridge i own" is not a thing) and the transaction is worth what you are willing to pay for it
regardless of the original proposed scenario there are infinite variations that could play off of it

Powershift posted:

Someone should make a bridgecoin, I've even got the perfect tag line.

If you believe in bitcoin, i've got a bridge to sell you.
lol seriously do it
also gently caress!

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

The Minecraft of cryptocurrencies, and someone beat us to market. :smith:

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
shitcoin still isnt taken but problematically might get mistaken for bitcoin a lot

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

its kinda fun searching that coinmarket

https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/president-johnson/

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
oh god that guy is going to say the difference is that bitcoins do exist and have an inherent value dictated by the market
and i can just see the circle of reasoning surrounding spin around the giant satoshi capstone of the pyramid of not-scam with only the trail of men going their own way to give perspective on the wide flat libertarian plains of reason

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

the problem as i represented it (which you should use if you are referring to me and not to someone else using a different representation) is you are buying something that essentially doesnt exist ("the bridge i own" is not a thing) and the transaction is worth what you are willing to pay for it
regardless of the original proposed scenario there are infinite variations that could play off of it
i think you're getting your wires crossed, because you replied to my answer to your question about whether i understood the difference between blockchain and bitcoin.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

This is based on a single report from CoinTelegraph, and they noticeably don't link back to the original announcement.

This twitter thread has a dude with a Russian name, who I'm assuming is Russian, contributing. He says "The news is true, but it won't be huge. What's the use of a gov controlled cryptocurrency? Eventually, they will fail to make it." "There's no tech. Few people in the world understand the cryptocurrency tech, fewer of them are in Russia, none in gov." So whatever happens, I expect this to be less than it appears.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Uranium 235 posted:

i think you're getting your wires crossed, because you replied to my answer to your question about whether i understood the difference between blockchain and bitcoin.
the answer where you tried to demonstrate that you did understand a difference between them and yet you dont seem to change any of your answers where you conflated bitcoin and blockchain in saying bitcoin was developed altruistically because look at all the good blockchain is doing. thus your further explanation is pointless and changes nothing as i said

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
How sure are we Satoshi is even still alive?

I mean it's been like 10 years, there's some at least single digit % he died of all the normal ways people die, not to mention some chance that he gleefully sold the entire startup bitcoin amount to someone when it reached like $100 and then has since killed himself based on seeing what it became later

(If you doubt anyone who still had say $100 million would kill themselves over that, I'm pretty sure there were people who committed suicide during the 2008 crash because they were now worth half of what they were, even when the new amount was still billions)

or I mean some other related disaster, like he had the original startup bitcoins on a hard drive that died before it even got to $20 or something

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

the answer where you tried to demonstrate that you did understand a difference between them and yet you dont seem to change any of your answers where you conflated bitcoin and blockchain in saying bitcoin was developed altruistically because look at all the good blockchain is doing. thus your further explanation is pointless and changes nothing as i said
i didn't conflate them, i referred to the underlying technology of bitcoin, which you took to only mean blockchain, when i actually meant blockchain with a distributed ledger verified by a decentralized network. you misunderstood me, so i clarified my meaning with you. you replied with a dumb, snarky comment

as for "developed altruistically", if you are attributing that claim to me, you're further proving your inability to comprehend what you read. go back and quote where i said that :allears:

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Uranium 235 posted:

i didn't conflate them, i referred to the underlying technology of bitcoin, which you took to only mean blockchain, when i actually meant blockchain with a distributed ledger verified by a decentralized network. you misunderstood me, so i clarified my meaning with you. you replied with a dumb, snarky comment

as for "developed altruistically", if you are attributing that claim to me, you're further proving your inability to comprehend what you read. go back and quote where i said that :allears:
as opposed to a blockchain run on only a single computer :ughh: what you are talking about is just the blockchain. the misunderstanding is you not understanding technology and then conflating things because youre all mixed up

yes you obviously werent ascribing altruism to bitcoin via its underlying technology where you pointed out its use in charity work

quote:

i don't think that bitcoin was designed with malicious intent, i think it was a sincere effort to create something that had unique and desirable properties
in other words you present it as a gift to mankind; altruism

sorry for my succinct, on-point replies that have a hard time taking you seriously when you cant hold on to relevance of whats being discussed between 2 consecutive posts

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

sorry for my succinct, on-point replies that have a hard time taking you seriously when you cant hold on to relevance of whats being discussed between 2 consecutive posts
maybe you'll apologize, but i'll never apologize for my extremely good, supremely on-point missives that labor futilely to find anything coherent in your very bad and not at all good posts

yeah... yeah i got him good

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Uranium 235 posted:

it definitely requires intent and i'm not going to argue about a dictionary definition with you, it's a complete waste of time

to be clear, i'm talking about the developer of bitcoin. i think he intended to create something that would have utility (and value because of that utility). i get the impression that you're trying to move down the chain of responsibility and talk about people who trade bitcoin

What dictionary definition are you basing this off of? I can find literally none that clearly states it needs intent, or includes the word intent in the definition. If you didn't want to argue about dictionary definitions, you shouldn't have brought it up as the main loving sticking point of your argument. I'm not the one that said "Dictionary says this". You made your argument, live with that.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Uranium 235 posted:

maybe you'll apologize, but i'll never apologize for my extremely good, supremely on-point missives that labor futilely to find anything coherent in your very bad and not at all good posts

yeah... yeah i got him good
a random yo-mama lol burn is about as good as youre going to burn me since you dont even know exactly what bitcoin is and just showed more specifically that you havent known the difference between bitcoin and blockchain all this time. or what a scam is. or anything (i would have to stretch to find any aspects of this thread you understand)
so enjoy it

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Uranium 235 posted:

i don't think it's a scam because i don't think that bitcoin was designed with malicious intent,
Similarly, Charles Ponzi wasn't a scammer because international reply coupons weren't created with malicious intent and Ponzi's initial plan was to actually engage in arbitrage.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Clearly, Bernie Madoff wasn't a scammer because Madoff Investment Securities wasn't designed with malicious intent when it was incorporated in 1960.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
You put bit coins in blocks and chain them together. Pretty simple.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Also, sub-prime mortgage derivatives weren't a scam because Blythe Masters actually believes creating crazy credit derivatives is good and so there was no malicious intent.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Paladinus posted:

You put bit coins in blocks and chain them together. Pretty simple.

What if you block the bit chains together to make bit chain block bit chain coins?!

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Enron wasn't a scam because it was incorporated as an energy company and actually did some legit trading at some point, so it wasn't designed with malicious intent.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Chaining the blocks is a form of slavery and I am morally opposed to it

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
bitcoin is my slave name

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

MF Global, WorldCom, and Cendant, for example, were all designed as legit businesses with no malicious intent, so when their valuation was later due to fraud it turns out that wasn't technically a scam.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Blade Runner posted:

Chaining the blocks is a form of slavery and I am morally opposed to it

what if we only do it for colored coins

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

exploded mummy posted:

what if we only do it for colored coins

Making a coin be worth 3/5ths would really gently caress up my investment position

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

SubG posted:

Also, sub-prime mortgage derivatives weren't a scam because Blythe Masters actually believes creating crazy credit derivatives is good and so there was no malicious intent.

And Blythe Masters is a blockchain saleswoman now, thus demonstrating how deeply non-scammy she truly is

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Blade Runner posted:

Making a coin be worth 3/5ths would really gently caress up my investment position

:tinfoil:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Uranium 235 posted:

i don't think it's a scam because i don't think that bitcoin was designed with malicious intent, i think it was a sincere effort to create something that had unique and desirable properties (distributed ledger with decentralized verification). whether bitcoin succeeds long-term is yet to be seen, because it has well-known problems that limit its functionality. blockchain technology in general, however, is gaining a lot of traction and is beginning to be adopted to solve problems.

IBM just partnered with a non-profit blockchain project called Stellar to make cross-border payments faster and easier https://www.cnbc.com/2017/10/16/ibm-has-a-new-blockchain-for-banks-to-speed-up-cross-border-payments.html

Ripple got funding from the Gates Foundation to develop an interoperable payments platform that will make financial services more available to unbanked people https://ripple.com/insights/ripple-the-gates-foundation-team-up-to-level-the-economic-playing-field-for-the-poor/

OmiseGo is another project that's trying to improve e-payment systems and expand access to financial services in southeast Asia by allowing easy exchange between different currencies and payment platforms that are traditionally siloed from each other. it's being developed by Omise Holdings, which is already established as a payment processing company in the region, so i believe they have a good platform to launch from. they have support from the Thai Ministry of Finance and Central Bank.

one thing that gives bitcoin value is that it's the primary asset used to trade these other crypto assets which are better suited to solve problems that bitcoin cannot. i don't know whether bitcoin will succeed long-term in this role, but for now, it dominates the crypto market.

i believe that most of the potential for growth in the crypto market lies in non-bitcoin projects.

A) IBM is not creating a cryptocurrency. Their "blockchain" services are distributed databases with a trending name.

B) You can't use bitcoin to purchase IBM's services/tokens, because again, they are not producing cryptocurrencies and these products have nothing to do with bitcoin

Ripple is a cryptocurrency in the loosest sense: you can't actually mine the tokens, but you can buy/trade them. But you don't need bitcoins to do that; Ripple has been around for years and you can buy XRP directly in USD, if you believe in Ripple's products.

Note that neither of these things have anything to do with bitcoin

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Uranium 235 posted:

But he thinks that he legally owns the bridge. So there's no malicious intent when he sells the bridge to someone else for $5 more than what he paid for it. That means it's not a scam anymore, right?

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

QuarkJets posted:

But he thinks that he legally owns the bridge. So there's no malicious intent when he sells the bridge to someone else for $5 more than what he paid for it. That means it's not a scam anymore, right?

I think a better analogy is something like alt-med.
Say, homeopathy.

Homeopathy is a scam. It doesn't work. It is literally magic potions. This has been demonstrated scientifically many, many times. (for the record, even the 'placebo' effect special pleading is a false claim, but I won't go into the details. It doesn't work.)

There are homeopaths who know this, and go about their business anyway, inventing crazier and crazier potions to treat everything they possibly can, because they want the money.
There are other homeopaths who don't know that it actually doesn't work, totally buying in, and they believe they are helping people. They also make a living from it, so in some way they rely on keeping the wool over their eyes, so you may find they are heavily biased when it comes to information on their profession.
There are likely also other homeopaths who are in between. They kinda know it doesn't work, but they think that people get benefit anyway - or use some other rationalisation that makes it 'okay' for them to keep making a living this way.

They are all, however, scamming their customers.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Chadzok posted:

I think a better analogy is something like alt-med.
Say, homeopathy.

Homeopathy is a scam. It doesn't work. It is literally magic potions. This has been shown many, many times.
There are homeopaths who know this, and go about their business anyway, inventing crazier and crazier potions to treat everything they possibly can, because they want the money.
There are other homeopaths who don't know that it actually doesn't work, totally buying in, and they believe they are helping people. They also make a living from it, so in some way they rely on keeping the wool over their eyes, so you may find they are heavily biased when it comes to information on their profession.
There are likely also other homeopaths who are in between. They kinda know it doesn't work, but they think that people get benefit anyway - or use some other rationalisation that makes it 'okay' for them to keep making a living this way.

This this this, definitely a much better analogy. And to that point, homeopathy was likely created by well-meaning people who had weird ideas about how medicine works and decided to stick to those ideas no matter what. But to the patient the intent doesn't matter; you've given a homeopathic "doctor" money and received nothing of value in return.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Chadzok posted:

Say, homeopathy.

Homeopathy is a scam. It doesn't work. It is literally magic potions. This has been demonstrated scientifically many, many times. (for the record, even the 'placebo' effect special pleading is a false claim, but I won't go into the details. It doesn't work.)

Ok the thing is, bitcoins are created using a programmatic method, we know they exist, we know how they are created, we know what they do - including the limitations that people have described endlessly. We know what people use them for. And unlike homeopathy, they certainly do what people claim they do - bitcoins do exist once mined, they are traded, and they can be exchanged for whatever value other people assign them through exchanges, ATMs, and local transactions.

This is all very different from:
Bridges one does not own
Stuffed animals
Flowers
Make believe currencies like wompum that people suggested as an equivalent

and let's expand the list to add new entries:
Homeopathy
Chiropractors
Energy Healing

• Locked thread