Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

If I can skip A+ (I assume because I have some sort of experience to make up for it) and jump ahead then that would save some time and money, so that's good to know, thanks! I've grabbed a couple of books off Amazon to get me going.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Oct 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Yeah, if you have literally any industry experience, the A+ isn't going to get you much. It exists to get that first toe in the door when you have nothing directly relevant on your resume.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
So I just signed up for a discounted Comptia Cloud+ Beta exam that's scheduled less than two weeks out.

I just bought the study guide on Amazon, but are there any other helpful links or resources you guys could point me to?

Has anyone here taken the Cloud+ exam, and if so, how was it comparative to the Net+?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
You fell for the emails they're sending every other day?

I've considered it but even $50 for a beta version test doesn't seem like it's worth my time. You don't even know if you've passed until what, January or February?

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Judge Schnoopy posted:

You fell for the emails they're sending every other day?

I've considered it but even $50 for a beta version test doesn't seem like it's worth my time. You don't even know if you've passed until what, January or February?

Haha, yeah, I did... I'm probably just wasting my time and money, right? And yeah, it's bullshit you don't find out until some unspecified time next loving year. But hey, I figure fifty bucks it's worth a shot to snag another cert, even if I've only got a week to actually study the materials (that may or may not actually be on the exam).

:smithicide:

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I don't envy anyone who has to beta a CompTIA test. Other than Sec+, their tests are focused on memorizing lots of pointless garbage(and even Sec+ has pointless stuff on it). I can only imagine how bad the beta is.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Peachfart posted:

I don't envy anyone who has to beta a CompTIA test. Other than Sec+, their tests are focused on memorizing lots of pointless garbage(and even Sec+ has pointless stuff on it). I can only imagine how bad the beta is.

Warchalking.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

The Iron Rose posted:

Warchalking.

I'm sorry, the answer was 'Mantraps'.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

warballooning motherfuckers

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
What's the over/under that these are just things that people have pranked CompTIA HQ with?

I know if I'm ever in the area I'm going to add suspicious warchalk marks.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Two "o"s side by side with an "n" on top of them indicate a nearby open wireless AP. sometimes a series of dashes are drawn emanating from the top of the "n" - the number of dashes represents the signal strength from that location.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Is "if someone commissions a light aircraft they can have our loving wifi password" a viable option on these tests?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Diva Cupcake posted:

warballooning motherfuckers

Where the gently caress is wardroning it is 2017 Comptia step it up

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

What's the over/under that these are just things that people have pranked CompTIA HQ with?

I know if I'm ever in the area I'm going to add suspicious warchalk marks.

I prefer wardryerase on white boards.

CompTIA is just making poo poo up at this point.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

This seems like an opportune time to link this article on "Screwdriving" I came across today :lol:

quote:

Screwdriving is like wardrving but it has an IoT focus. It's all about discovering Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) devices. But it's not about finding all sorts of devices - it focuses on one class of gadget.

Screwdriving is about finding connected sex toys.

It also sounds about as real as warballooning, so I expect to see it on the S+ in a year or two.

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Oct 13, 2017

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
"Choose the BEST sex toy for information security"

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Kashuno posted:

"Choose the BEST sex toy for information security"

Mantrap. The answer is always mantrap.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Pretty soon your IoT connected fleshlight will automatically analyze your cum for spermcount, upload the data to your medical records and book you a hospital appointment if there are any problems. The future is now baby.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
CompTIA gently caress+ cert is gonna look good on my resume

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Judge Schnoopy posted:

CompTIA gently caress+ cert is gonna look good on my resume

Comp T&A

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

CompTIA lobbyists have done their job and have gotten the CSA+ added to DoD 8570 regulations. It looks about on par or even above Certified Ethical Hacker in terms of fulfilling pre-reqs.

https://iase.disa.mil/iawip/Pages/iabaseline.aspx

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

ProperCoochie posted:

I'm looking for some advice.

What Would You Do if you were in my shoes?

I'm moving to a new city where rent, bills, and car insurance are 1/3 the price. I don't have a job lined up, but I have savings. My OK paychecks built up to meager savings will now transform into A Lot Of Money. So for what seems like the first time ever, I can actually afford those $2000-4000 week/two-week-long bootcamps and I'm toying with the idea of completing one.

My story: I worked helldesk for a few years, but the last two years I've been a Junior SysAdmin and SysAdmin. My only certs are Net+ and part of the MCSA (Administering Windows Server 2012). I've had a good amount of mostly unofficial training (self-taught, books, classes by former employers, UDemy, Cybrary, and so on).

I'm a capable guy, easy learner, which is why I've had success in IT without much official education. I don't stress much over workloads, but I feel weak in terms of official certifications. My bachelor's is in History. Interviewing is a bit of a struggle for me because I'm more impressive in front of a computer than I am on paper.

I've been working towards Sec+. I have the new CCNA book because I think it'd be a great foundation for me long term though I want to either stay with Systems or get into Security.

In summary, I'm wondering what others would do with my opportunity. Once I'm settled in my new city, I'll have time and money. (I'm not yet worried about being unemployed, obviously I want a job ASAP but I'm months from money becoming a real issue, and I would go back to scrubbing toilets, hauling garbage, or waiting tables if it were truly necessary.) Should I just continue to chip away at my self-paced education, or spend $2000-4000 on a week/two-week-long bootcamp? I'd do one for MS, VMware, or perhaps sometime else. I'm open to recommendations. A cert would be nice at the end but it's not a requirement for my decision.

I've never personally met anyone who has done one of those bootcamps and came out of it saying "I'm glad I did the bootcamp" or has ever gone on to do a second one. I've self studied most of my certs, done a regular course for one and bootcamped one, and I am more than happy to never bootcamp again. I did pass but it was a hellish 8 days.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Ahdinko posted:

I've never personally met anyone who has done one of those bootcamps and came out of it saying "I'm glad I did the bootcamp" or has ever gone on to do a second one. I've self studied most of my certs, done a regular course for one and bootcamped one, and I am more than happy to never bootcamp again. I did pass but it was a hellish 8 days.

I've done multiple bootcamps and am glad I took them and would take them again (as long as my employers pays for them).

It helps you take a week to focus on one specific subject. For me (married with young kids) that'd take me weeks if not months to make time to study on my own.

I also found it really helpful to get instant anwsers from people who know the subjects fairly well so you don't just get the anwser but also the reasoning behind it.

After all bootcamps I did take another few weeks to study before taking the exams.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I've taken plenty of training courses through work, and no way should someone pay for one out of their own pocket. They're for companys to pay for who don't care about the price.

None of the week long training courses have prepared me for an exam, there just isn't enough time and the class inevitably slows down to the pace of the slowest student.

I recommend folks look into their local community college programs. I took the VMWare ICM course for 5.1 for 249 dollars as part of their continuing education program. Same course that my company would have paid 4200 dollars for, but mine was in a real lab spread over 14 weeks of evening classes.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

LochNessMonster posted:

I've done multiple bootcamps and am glad I took them and would take them again (as long as my employers pays for them).

It helps you take a week to focus on one specific subject. For me (married with young kids) that'd take me weeks if not months to make time to study on my own.

I also found it really helpful to get instant anwsers from people who know the subjects fairly well so you don't just get the anwser but also the reasoning behind it.

After all bootcamps I did take another few weeks to study before taking the exams.

I think it probably depends on how well you can handle that much information at once. The one I did was a proper bootcamp, it was what would normally be 3 x 1 week courses over Monday-Friday 9-5, condensed into 8 straight 13 hour long days, with the exams on the 3rd, 6th and 8th days. I stayed on site in a hotel and started each day at 8am, finished at 9pm with a 30 minute lunch in the middle and a few breaks to get a drink or whatever, and then generally an hours worth of reading that you took back to your hotel room. My mind felt like it was melting by day 4 or 5.

Ahdinko fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Oct 17, 2017

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Boot Camps are for companies that need certs fast. They're priced and structured that way.

I got my VMware cert by taking a community college class taught by a certified VMware instructor. It was the same class, but over a semester, plenty of time to practice the labs and go into more detail.

I don't know if there's anything good in your area, but if you're in Phoenix/Mesa I can make a recommendation.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Ahdinko posted:

I think it probably depends on how well you can handle that much information at once. The one I did was a proper bootcamp, it was what would normally be 3 x 1 week courses over Monday-Friday 9-5, condensed into 8 straight 13 hour long days, with the exams on the 3rd, 6th and 8th days. I stayed on site in a hotel and started each day at 8am, finished at 9pm with a 30 minute lunch in the middle and a few breaks to get a drink or whatever, and then generally an hours worth of reading that you took back to your hotel room. My mind felt like it was melting by day 4 or 5.

Yeah I understand that might be too much. Putting 2 weeks into 1 is pushing it already if people are new to the material. Doing that with 3 weeks of material sounds pretty crazy unless people are already experienced in the subject.

Hot Damn!
Oct 28, 2004
I failed a cert for the first time last Monday (790/811 on the ICND2). Got nailed in a few areas I covered too lightly (HSRP, QoS), and saw a few that weren't covered in my materials (questions about specific SDN Cisco products).

It took me a week to get back into the proper mindset to really dig back into the material, but I am finding a lot of gaps and shallow areas of my understanding, as expected.

Anyone have any insight on approaching retakes in particular?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Hot drat! posted:

Congratulations. This means you're pushing yourself to learn new things slightly too hard, and that's a good problem to have.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Hot drat! posted:

I failed a cert for the first time last Monday (790/811 on the ICND2). Got nailed in a few areas I covered too lightly (HSRP, QoS), and saw a few that weren't covered in my materials (questions about specific SDN Cisco products).

It took me a week to get back into the proper mindset to really dig back into the material, but I am finding a lot of gaps and shallow areas of my understanding, as expected.

Find accurate practice tests. You know what the test looks like now. If you're in a practice test and it doesn't look like what your test had on it, skip it and move on.

When you find a practice test that looks extremely similar to your failed exam, write down every question you get wrong. Study it and write 1 sentence on why every wrong answer is wrong, and why the right answers are right. This will help cover gaps in case the real question is asked in a slightly different way, and will fill in a lot of relative information in your brain that you can call back to if you're stumped on the test.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Find accurate practice tests. You know what the test looks like now. If you're in a practice test and it doesn't look like what your test had on it, skip it and move on.

When you find a practice test that looks extremely similar to your failed exam, write down every question you get wrong. Study it and write 1 sentence on why every wrong answer is wrong, and why the right answers are right. This will help cover gaps in case the real question is asked in a slightly different way, and will fill in a lot of relative information in your brain that you can call back to if you're stumped on the test.

This is a loving great idea, it's what the odom/lammle books do for you (for most questions anyway), but I've never really thought about doing it myself.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Ahdinko posted:

Depends on the boot camp. I was very happy with my CCIE boot camp, but it came after passing the written exam and when I thought I was ready to take the lab. Did it about 6 weeks before the lab and it was hard and fast-paced and simulated the lab environment a lot. It showed me what I didnt know well enough and needed to focus on in the final 6 weeks. But thats obviously a far cry from the ones the OP is talking about.

OP, how much of a self-starter are you? I would consider throwing money at online training providers/resources like Safari Books Online, Lynda, INE, Linux Academy, A Cloud Guru, etc depending on interests. If you are interested in VMware look at local community colleges or if they dont have anything, look at Stanly Community Colleges VMware cheap online classes.

If thats a path you want to take, were a little over a month away from the Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals that many online training providers offer which can save additional money.

gnrk
Apr 1, 2008
edit: better suited for another thread

gnrk fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Oct 18, 2017

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Just failed Cisco 300-080. By far the most unfair test I've taken. Lots of questions, all troubleshooting, and barely enough time. There were way too many topics not even listed on the "official" exam outline. I only failed by a few questions but the wording, specificity and stupidly broad subject matter were heartless.

Portland Sucks
Dec 21, 2004
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
I'm a software developer with a CS major and I'm tired of not knowing about basic networking principals. Where's a good consolidated place to start learning about things like what the heck a domain controller is, which subnet am I on???, what a packet is, and why you sniff them? I'm used to getting stuff crammed into my face 3 months at a time so if theres a fantastic online course around that could assist me even better.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I learned everything from a set of Community College classes designed around the CCNA cert.

It'd be worth looking into in your area.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I learned everything from a set of Community College classes designed around the CCNA cert.

Same. It was very nice to have a ton of hardware to play with.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I did this also. The one I took was 4 classes, and was sanctioned by Cisco and you did much of the training through their learning portal.
Definitely recommend it, and even better is getting tuition reimbursement if your job offers it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Portland Sucks posted:

I'm a software developer with a CS major and I'm tired of not knowing about basic networking principals. Where's a good consolidated place to start learning about things like what the heck a domain controller is, which subnet am I on???, what a packet is, and why you sniff them? I'm used to getting stuff crammed into my face 3 months at a time so if theres a fantastic online course around that could assist me even better.

Professor Messers online videos for the Network+ Exam are a good place to start. You can go through the whole playlist or pick and choose the subjects that interest you.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLG49S3nxzAnnXcPUJbwikr2xAcmKljbnQ