Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

There’s no-one in WWE as good a scrappy underdog brawler as Ishii, but his matches are like 90% great timing and lariats (also amazing selling which admittedly Roman does not have)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Roman's push has basically turned me off from WWE other than the occasional PPV. If WWE isn't going to give a gently caress about the fanbase's opinion then why should I care about their product?

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

I can't even really think who WWE's closest equivalent of Ishii would be.... Sheamus?

Samoa Joe

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ragnarok the Red posted:

Also I still have no idea why they keep having Roman come out and brag about retiring Taker. It's never gotten a positive reaction and just comes off as the heelest drat thing for the top babyface/The Guy should be saying. What on earth is Vince thinking with that I'll never understand.

Also all Roman did was win a match that happened to be Taker's final one. Nothing Roman did there contributed to his retirement. He didn't beat him so badly he can't continue, or he didn't squash him and make him realize he doesn't have it anymore, etc. It wasn't even a stipulation of the match.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

A Yardless Undertaker is, effectively, a retired Undertaker

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It doesn't matter anyway, Paige is coming back and owning the house is more important than the yard.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I do not like Roman but I doubt Roman would have as boring of a match against KUSHIDA as Cody did on Saturday.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Aphrodite posted:

It doesn't matter anyway, Paige is coming back and owning the house is more important than the yard.

My House was the theme song of WrestleMania. I don't see any Flo Rida songs about yards, Roman! :rolleyes:

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Roman Reigns is what you get if early 2000's Triple H wanted to be a babyface and taken seriously, instead of relying on DX comedy.

bartok
May 10, 2006

RealFoxy posted:

Roman Reigns is what you get if early 2000's Triple H wanted to be a babyface and taken seriously, instead of relying on DX comedy.

drat you're right. Roman is pretty much post-Evolution HHH's babyface run on Smackdown.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I watched 2011 MITB this weekend and I thought Cody in his facemask thing looked cool.

Also, that was a real good PPV. It was about 2-3 years before I started watching WWE so it was pretty funny seeing all the people that quit/were fired/repackaged.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

Houses depreciate in value, the yard's value only consistently goes up. Paige is only thinking short term, Reigns understands the value of land.

The real question is who owns the mineral rights.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

explosivo posted:

I watched 2011 MITB this weekend and I thought Cody in his facemask thing looked cool.

Also, that was a real good PPV. It was about 2-3 years before I started watching WWE so it was pretty funny seeing all the people that quit/were fired/repackaged.

It's one of WWE's best PPVs of all time.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Kirios posted:

Houses depreciate in value, the yard's value only consistently goes up. Paige is only thinking short term, Reigns understands the value of land.

Paige is British and our house prices are only going up to unsustainable highs, much like Paige herself.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Gonzo McFee posted:

Roman Reigns is very good at wrestling

i am being perpetually gaslit

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Aphrodite posted:

Also all Roman did was win a match that happened to be Taker's final one. Nothing Roman did there contributed to his retirement. He didn't beat him so badly he can't continue, or he didn't squash him and make him realize he doesn't have it anymore, etc. It wasn't even a stipulation of the match.

I disagree. The last half of that match was basically Roman Reigns beating the crap out of an old man with barely any offense coming his way. As much as I'm cold on Roman Reigns, that was clearly an attempt to show him purely dominating.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Roman Reigns is a very ok person and a not bad wrestler. As others have said however, there are others on the roster capable of the same and maybe more. Maybe it's time to mix it up? I would also be ok with a world title tournament at Survivor Series where we think Dean is the handpicked corporate champ but then in the finals SWERVE HEEL TURN Roman wins and becomes the face of the Corporation 2k18. Somehow this Corporation will merge with the Wyatt family in a while. Thanks for listening.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

But they booked it like any old face in peril situation we've seen a million times. It needed something different than the WWE style to sell it.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

They had a chance to do that in 2015 and instead Roman just squashed Dean in 8 minutes

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

The Bee posted:

I disagree. The last half of that match was basically Roman Reigns beating the crap out of an old man with barely any offense coming his way. As much as I'm cold on Roman Reigns, that was clearly an attempt to show him purely dominating.

Yeah but anybody can pummel an old man with a chair and tackle him over and over. He didn't do anything special. He just beat up an old guy that was clearly gassed. The story of that match wasn't that Roman Reigns defeated the Undertaker, it was that time defeated the Undertaker and Roman Reigns was, at best, an envoy of the inevitable.

Running the ropes three times before a Spear isn't exactly "I'm sorry, I love you." or a jumping tombstone.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Ragnarok the Red posted:

Also I still have no idea why they keep having Roman come out and brag about retiring Taker. It's never gotten a positive reaction and just comes off as the heelest drat thing for the top babyface/The Guy should be saying. What on earth is Vince thinking with that I'll never understand.
Because we've seen all that he has to offer and its pretty dull to crowds now and thats the only way he can get a reaction from them anymore. Well that and booing his entrance.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Kirios posted:

The Rock, idiot

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

VJeff posted:

Yeah but anybody can pummel an old man with a chair and tackle him over and over. He didn't do anything special. He just beat up an old guy that was clearly gassed. The story of that match wasn't that Roman Reigns defeated the Undertaker, it was that time defeated the Undertaker and Roman Reigns was, at best, an envoy of the inevitable.

Running the ropes three times before a Spear isn't exactly "I'm sorry, I love you." or a jumping tombstone.

That's a very good point, and I have to agree. My bad, I misinterpreted what you meant by that.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

The Bee posted:

That's a very good point, and I have to agree. My bad, I misinterpreted what you meant by that.

Yeah, the point I think Aphrodite was trying to make was, "Roman keeps bragging about retiring the Undertaker, but Roman didn't do anything, it was simply a matter of time catching up to the Undertaker and Roman being the guy to end it."

If anything, the story of that post match is Undertaker realizing if he can't even beat Roman Reigns, he really is done.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

I can't even really think who WWE's closest equivalent of Ishii would be.... Sheamus?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=WWE+wrestlers+who+look+like+a+fire+hydrant

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

VJeff posted:

Yeah, the point I think Aphrodite was trying to make was, "Roman keeps bragging about retiring the Undertaker, but Roman didn't do anything, it was simply a matter of time catching up to the Undertaker and Roman being the guy to end it."

If anything, the story of that post match is Undertaker realizing if he can't even beat Roman Reigns, he really is done.

It's like if the 76ers took credit for retiring Michael Jordan.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Or if Enzo took credit for Neville quitting

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
roman reigns is biker taker is blowing my mind over here, it's perfect.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

I popped big when Roman ran the ropes three times before the spear that killed the undertaker.

bartok
May 10, 2006

flashy_mcflash posted:

The Rock, idiot

It's actually Booker T. The guy was always asking us "Can you dig it, sucka?" That was clearly Booker looking to hire miners to dig under the yard.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Suplex Liberace posted:

I popped big when Roman ran the ropes three times before the spear that killed the undertaker.

Can you imagine how many times he'll run the ropes before finishing off Brock?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

you guys are hosed Up. if you hated shawn michaels you would have made fun of tuning up the band like the dumbest poo poo imaginable. if Shawn was bad and boring you would hate what he did. Just because Roman is that doesn't mean everything he does is bad. Running the ropes is very, very good. Don't talk about running the ropes that way ever again in your life.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Gonz posted:

Roman Reigns has become the human manifestation of that old Sears air-conditioning commercial that everybody hated because it played 37 times per hour.

In a row?!

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Gavok posted:

In a row?!

You know Gavok, there's a million mediocre wrestlers in the world, dude. But they don't all Superman punch you at work. Most of 'em just refuse to sell.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Gavok posted:

In a row?!

well if they did it 3 more times thats as many as four tens and that's terrible

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

OK, so, since we're kinda swirling around the normal Roman talk:

If not Roman, then who, should be the top guy?

Or are we in a phase beyond "THE" top guy? More of a late 90's-early 2000's era, with multiple top guy options?

If AJ, Cena, Roman, Seth, Dean, Braun, Joe, Bray and Finn were trading the title, I think we'd be in a good spot. Maybe even add dudes like Miz and Corbin as flukey-heel champs/challengers?

Is Brock as "sometimes champ" hurting the fed overall?

What would work best here, if tomorrow, Vince suddenly had a moment of clarity?

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

The top guy should be, and is, Jinder Mahal.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

rare Magic card l00k posted:

The top guy should be, and is, Jinder Mahal.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

OGB posted:

OK, so, since we're kinda swirling around the normal Roman talk:

If not Roman, then who, should be the top guy?

Or are we in a phase beyond "THE" top guy? More of a late 90's-early 2000's era, with multiple top guy options?

If AJ, Cena, Roman, Seth, Dean, Braun, Joe, Bray and Finn were trading the title, I think we'd be in a good spot. Maybe even add dudes like Miz and Corbin as flukey-heel champs/challengers?

Is Brock as "sometimes champ" hurting the fed overall?

What would work best here, if tomorrow, Vince suddenly had a moment of clarity?

The late 90s had Steve Austin who the entire show was built around, let's not pretend here. So much so that it taught bookers some bad habits regarding overexposing their stars. After his injury it was a bit more even until his retirement but he was still the top guy. Maybe we're in a mid 90s era where the next guy didn't really pan out they just try new things every six months or so until someone catches fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Gonz posted:

You know Gavok, there's a million mediocre wrestlers in the world, dude. But they don't all Superman punch you at work. Most of 'em just refuse to sell.

Buncha savages in this fed

• Locked thread