Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

PantsBandit posted:

The marker indicates where it would hit the ground assuming no influence from wind, not where the ball will come to a rest. If you're hitting with a driver, the momentum is going to carry the ball way farther than the point where it touches the ground.

Yeah I’m talking about impact, not stopping point. Maybe I’m crazy; next time I play the game I’ll pay closer attention and make sure I’m not doing anything weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
First marker is pure power while the second marker is draw/slice and will affect if the ball drifts left or right of the target, but the the distance shouldn't be affected by anything other than the wind.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah I definitely feel like it always impacts exactly where it says it will.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

TheGreasyStrangler posted:

Yeah I’m talking about impact, not stopping point. Maybe I’m crazy; next time I play the game I’ll pay closer attention and make sure I’m not doing anything weird.

Are you hitting Y again and changing the contact point of the ball (red dot) somewhere else other than the middle? You can get extra loft that way which would make the wind have greater effect, or top it to keep it lower to the ground.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Ragequit posted:

Are you hitting Y again and changing the contact point of the ball (red dot) somewhere else other than the middle? You can get extra loft that way which would make the wind have greater effect, or top it to keep it lower to the ground.

You have to hit X to affect the contact point, no?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Evil Fluffy posted:

Unless you *really* want DOOM to be portable

I’m pretty sure most of this thread falls under this category.

Of course it will be better on pc but I can’t bring my :pcgaming: rig on a plane.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I'm not buying DOOM again but I really hope the rumble goes absolutely nuts on chainsaw kills

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

RCarr posted:

You have to hit X to affect the contact point, no?

Sorry, wrong button. Thought it was the same for both (like a phase one/phase two of control).

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Dr Cheeto posted:

I'm not buying DOOM again

:getout: if you’re not going to support the perfect game on the Perfect Console.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I might buy Doom again if I can get a demo.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

:getout: if you’re not going to support the perfect game on the Perfect Console.

I'm not perfect enough for the Switch, and shame on any who claim to be.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Doom was only okay so I'm certainly not buying it again.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Sakurazuka posted:

Doom was only okay so I'm certainly not buying it again.

What makes you say that? I haven’t played it yet but it looks rad and got a lot of good praise from sources I respect.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I already own Picross S though :confused:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

If Doom has gyroscopic aiming,I might double dip.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It doesn't

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Beastie posted:

I might buy Doom again if I can get a Doomo.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

SeANMcBAY posted:

What makes you say that? I haven’t played it yet but it looks rad and got a lot of good praise from sources I respect.

Enemy encounters are mainly just 'you walk into a big room poo poo teleports in at you' and it's about five hours longer than it needed to be. It's not bad or anything, I just didn't unconditionally love it like most people around here.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Beastie posted:

How does winter in Stardew work? Are there a few crops that will grow, like potatoes? Do I need to be going into the seasons with a preferred amount of gold/food/crops?

I like it a lot but the lack of direction is confusing. I mean that figuratively and literally. I hate having to search for a villager on their birthday or when I need to deliver them something. I wish I had a compass that tracked quests.

I'm also not crazy about the lack of information I get. I know I should be farming, foraging, and exploring. But I feel like I make next to no progress. There just isn't enough time in the day to water, craft, and explore the mine. Also god drat these things from the carpenter cost crazy money. I earn like 400 gold every 3 or 4 days.

I'm on day 17 of Spring. I've got a couple of 3x3 of potatoes, one of beans, one of cauliflower, and one of parsnips. I'm sitting on 2000 gold.

Am I on track or is there no track?

You're fine. You get scored at the end of year 2 but aside from that the whole premise of the game is to do your own thing and have fun. It's possible to min/max Stardew Valley but I feel like the intro to the game makes it clear that you... shouldn't do that. (Again you can, and there's whole discussions online about how to achieve that but I feel like it isn't recommended for your first playthrough). If you're not already, interact with the TV daily and the Living off the Land program functions as a tutorial of sorts.

I ignored social stuff for most of my first year (getting my feet under me w/r/t mechanics) and while it isn't optimal I'm focusing more on it in year 2 including making Shane my husbando because much like real life I like my men to have baggage :cripes:

Evil Fluffy posted:

They assumed you're a troll because you generally post like a teenager who just discovered reddit. See: your quoted post with a "u mad?" comment in it.

lol

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Oh yeah the TV part is a good point. Watch it every day when you're new to learn another interesting and possibly helpful tidbit of information.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Hot take: People only liked Doom as much as they did because it wasn't a complete turd like people expected.

I didn't play it

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Sorry, chum: it actually owns.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Popete posted:

Hot take: People only liked Doom as much as they did because it wasn't a complete turd like people expected.

I didn't play it

No it’s actually extremely good

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

Playing the Switch long enough in portable mode makes my right hand start to go to sleep, same as every portable console I have ever used save the original Game Boy. Why is that anyway?

You may be leaning your right shoulder forward, I catch myself doing the same thing a lot which can lead to some sleepy body parts or pain.

Popete posted:

I didn't play it
Nah Doom4 is loving awesome and you are wrong. Double edit: Doom4 is good for the same reason BOTW was so good. It broke the decade(s) of the same games with different art by going back to what worked in the classics while adding the good things that have come up in the last 25 years in shooters. Least in the single player

LethalGeek fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Oct 16, 2017

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The sound design alone makes me want to play it. I’ll give it a shot unless the Switch port is complete poo poo and unplayable.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Doom 2016 is one of the best games in a number of years. Possibly all years. The campaign is one of the most visceral and fun experiences ever put in a game. The game basically throws the entire modern shooter philosophy out the window and goes “you’re going to shoot at things and then rip and tear things and then shoot some more and if you at any point stop doing either of those things you will die.” You are an unstoppable demon murdering machine and the demons are loving terrified of you and it’s great. You heal not by hiding in cover. You heal by running into a weakened demon and pulling its guts out.

It’s such a loving fun and good game.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Good god people if you haven't played Doom2k16 yet then please do. It's drat good and shrugs off all the baggage and mechanics that shooters developed after the year 2004.

With regard to Stardew; I do appreciate the assurances!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Never heard of this game, Elliots Quest:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1448684

Looks pretty drat good.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I'm fine with pixel art but is it too much to ask to put loving effort into it

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Oh hell YES

I got it on 3ds and is actually on my Up Next gaming queue so gently caress it I'm getting it on switch instead. That's really loving neat, I never thought to look into whether it was announced.

Was it a fairly recent thing? I tend to watch release dates like a hawk and yet random cool unexpected poo poo keeps on popping up every other week

More 3ds ports please

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Just 11 days until SMO is released but will it be *~Gaming Ambrosia~*?

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

How is everyone enjoying Wulverblade?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Stardew has shown me how broken my gamer brain is. Despite it being a casual chill game, I still feel the need to be as efficient as possible and get stressed out whenever I finish a day with extra energy or feel I didn't accomplish enough. I can't help but get into my Don't Starve mentality when playing it, where wasting any amount of time is terrible and increases your chances of being torn apart by hounds/spiders/a loving seal tornado.

DLC Inc posted:

I'm fine with pixel art but is it too much to ask to put loving effort into it

I mean a lot of pixel art is just done by people that aren't actually artists and can't do anything better.

I just hate when its passed off as a "stylistic" choice. Especially the games where the art is so basic the characters don't even have faces. That's not a style, that's you being awful and lazy.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Internet Kraken posted:

Stardew has shown me how broken my gamer brain is. Despite it being a casual chill game, I still feel the need to be as efficient as possible and get stressed out whenever I finish a day with extra energy or feel I didn't accomplish enough. I can't help but get into my Don't Starve mentality when playing it, where wasting any amount of time is terrible and increases your chances of being torn apart by hounds/spiders/a loving seal tornado.
There's nothing wrong with playing this way either. I spent much of the first few years of my first play through trying to do everything and see everything and it was still an enjoyable experience.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Just 11 days until SMO is released but will it be *~Gaming Ambrosia~*?

:yeah:

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

If you're a masochist playing Picross S with no assists, do know that you don't get jack poo poo from it besides a borderline hair-pulling challenge in the last few pages of puzzles. The very last one's a gimme, but the 10 or so leading up to it are pretty brutal.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

enojy posted:

If you're a masochist playing Picross S with no assists, do know that you don't get jack poo poo from it besides a borderline hair-pulling challenge in the last few pages of puzzles. The very last one's a gimme, but the 10 or so leading up to it are pretty brutal.

You get a slightly different looking medal.

It's worth it.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I want it known, that even though I have limited time to game, I always made time for most games, but Stardew Valley has literally shut down every other game I have (and could have) had going on.

It's so good. It's so perfect for 5 minutes of play or 2 hours of play. Or 5 minutes of play x 100 separate instances of playing it in one day.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I won't support Destiny at 30fps, and I'm not about to make exceptions for anyone else. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Dave Angel posted:

Aliens: Infestation, Isolation was the first person stealth game from Creative Assembly.

late reply but thankyou; thats the one i meant!

• Locked thread