Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

OGB posted:

What would work best here, if tomorrow, Vince suddenly had a moment of clarity?

Triple H has another two years on top in him easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

No full timer is anywhere near good enough to justify the Roman push and they would end up just as resented by the fans if they got it. In some alternate universe everyone is complaining about how Big E is about to get his 4th coronation at mania next year.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

OGB posted:

OK, so, since we're kinda swirling around the normal Roman talk:

If not Roman, then who, should be the top guy?

Or are we in a phase beyond "THE" top guy? More of a late 90's-early 2000's era, with multiple top guy options?

If AJ, Cena, Roman, Seth, Dean, Braun, Joe, Bray and Finn were trading the title, I think we'd be in a good spot. Maybe even add dudes like Miz and Corbin as flukey-heel champs/challengers?

Is Brock as "sometimes champ" hurting the fed overall?

Xavier Woods. Also both weekly shows are just UpUpDownDown now

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Stale Saltines posted:

No full timer is anywhere near good enough to justify the Roman push and they would end up just as resented by the fans if they got it. In some alternate universe everyone is complaining about how Big E is about to get his 4th coronation at mania next year.

I feel like you can even see this a little bit with Drew McIntyre in NXT who got to the top very quickly and is now getting a somewhat muted response.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Gavok posted:

In a row?!

i'll call today

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Incessant Excess posted:

I feel like you can even see this a little bit with Drew McIntyre in NXT who got to the top very quickly and is now getting a somewhat muted response.

They spent a bunch of time building Roode vs. Hideo and Roode vs. Strong, then just had Drew slide in and win the title. It was very, very strange.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i'll call today

you'll call right loving now

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

i'll call now

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

its gonna be great when i eventually develop full blown dementia and all i can remember is an air conditioner ad for a company that hopefully by then will no longer exist

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

VJeff posted:

They spent a bunch of time building Roode vs. Hideo and Roode vs. Strong, then just had Drew slide in and win the title. It was very, very strange.

They didn't even have the Strong blow off match until like a week ago.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

OGB posted:

Or are we in a phase beyond "THE" top guy? More of a late 90's-early 2000's era, with multiple top guy options?

If AJ, Cena, Roman, Seth, Dean, Braun, Joe, Bray and Finn were trading the title, I think we'd be in a good spot. Maybe even add dudes like Miz and Corbin as flukey-heel champs/challengers?

imo i would make kazuchika okada the guy

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Strongs momentum in NXT really seemed like them happening upon a spark and not capitalizing on it because Strong was not the guy, McIntyre was the guy.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

bradzilla posted:

Can you imagine how many times he'll run the ropes before finishing off Brock?

I can and I'm standing up with excitement thinking about it.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Incessant Excess posted:

Strongs momentum in NXT really seemed like them happening upon a spark and not capitalizing on it because Strong was not the guy, McIntyre was the guy.

Things Will Be Different When Hunter’s In Charge

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I mean, McIntyre is better than Strong, it's just strange how it was timed.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

OGB posted:

the only person to not hold a wwe world title on that list in the past year and change is braun so we already kind of hit that point

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

MassRafTer posted:

The late 90s had Steve Austin who the entire show was built around, let's not pretend here. So much so that it taught bookers some bad habits regarding overexposing their stars. After his injury it was a bit more even until his retirement but he was still the top guy. Maybe we're in a mid 90s era where the next guy didn't really pan out they just try new things every six months or so until someone catches fire.

Fair point, but I feel like with Austin's injuries in the late 1998-2000 timeline, the focus was pushed to a mix of Undertaker, HHH, Kane, Kurt Angle, The Rock and Mick Foley (with dudes like Benoit and Jericho getting little tastes of the main event here and there.)

I'd be all for a mid-90's run, which is funny, as the failed Diesel main event push (along with Lex Luger's) are the two which always come to mind when I think of Roman.

Stale Saltines posted:

poo poo, I would like to see Big E get a main event level push solo.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Yea, I'm not saying Strong should've had a Balor length run in NXT but I do think his program with Roode worked really well and the crowd was ready for him to take the title off of Roode. I wonder if he'll reach that same height again in NXT, especially since by not pulling the trigger on a guy, you teach the crowd not to get too invested in him, so it'll be harder for him the second time around.

Incessant Excess fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Oct 16, 2017

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Raskolnikov38 posted:

its gonna be great when i eventually develop full blown dementia and all i can remember is an air conditioner ad for a company that hopefully by then will no longer exist

I figure for me it'll be the Christmas Fruity Pebbles ad.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Incessant Excess posted:

Yea, I'm not saying Strong should've had a Balor length run in NXT but I do think his program with Roode worked really well and the crowd was ready for him to take the title off of him. I wonder if he'll reach that same height again in NXT, especially since by not pulling the trigger on a guy, you teach the crowd not to get too invested in him, so it'll be hard for him the second time around.

in true War Games fashion he should turn heel and beat the poo poo out of his team members

he;'s Mr. ROH in a faction of former ROH champions and titleholders.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Gavok posted:

I figure for me it'll be the Christmas Fruity Pebbles ad.

"Hon, your dad's h-h-hungry again."
"Don't tease him, Eddie."
"I'd be a lot more empathetic if he'd stop stealing my cereal."

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

exploded mummy posted:

the only person to not hold a wwe world title on that list in the past year and change is braun so we already kind of hit that point

When did Samoa Joe win the title (unless you're counting NXT)? Take me to that reality, please.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i'll call now

NOTHER SCORCHER

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

ozymandius1024 posted:

When did Samoa Joe win the title (unless you're counting NXT)? Take me to that reality, please.

I was counting NXT

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Stale Saltines posted:

No full timer is anywhere near good enough to justify the Roman push
i don't think this is true at all. i think the issue is more that there is no one good enough who fits all the extra criteria of being the guy, including age, backstage personality, history, and degree to which their success would be entirely owed to the wwe thus reducing risk of them leaving for a better job.

roman is a very bad wrestler, even by wwe standards, but he so perfectly fits almost every other criteria that i really don't think they'll give up on him.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

St Evan Echoes posted:

Things Will Be Different When Hunter’s In Charge

If the point you were trying to make was correct, it would've been Cezar Bononi instead of Strong or something like that. Overlooking it for Drew McIntyre is not the same thing.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

cams posted:

i don't think this is true at all. i think the issue is more that there is no one good enough who fits all the extra criteria of being the guy, including age, backstage personality, history, and degree to which their success would be entirely owed to the wwe thus reducing risk of them leaving for a better job.

roman is a very bad wrestler, even by wwe standards, but he so perfectly fits almost every other criteria that i really don't think they'll give up on him.

I think I'm getting gaslighted

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I literally head the dialogue in my head as I read the posts.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

exploded mummy posted:

I think I'm getting gaslighted
people have differing preferences and inclinations and therefore will evaluate the quality of things on different metrics

by my metrics, roman reigns is bad not due to booking or anything outside his control, but because he lacks almost all the qualities i value in a wrestler

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Oh

https://twitter.com/WWE/status/920035630532268034

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

cams posted:

people have differing preferences and inclinations and therefore will evaluate the quality of things on different metrics

by my metrics, roman reigns is bad not due to booking or anything outside his control, but because he lacks almost all the qualities i value in a wrestler

That's fine but while most people would agree he's far from perfect or the best in the company, the whole "PEOPLE DON'T THINK HE'S IRREDEEMABLE?! *monocle pop*" refrain is really dumb and excessive.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

exploded mummy posted:

I was counting NXT

Well, don't

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

VJeff posted:

I mean, McIntyre is better than Strong, it's just strange how it was timed.
I hope they call up McIntyre and he becomes the one to overthrow Jinder

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

well you have to let the crowd know that Roman is the coolest one in the group and that's hard when the other guys have belts

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Beautiful :allears:

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

What a week it's been.
So much to talk about.
And so many things we can't talk about.

Portland show is... well, 2/3rds isn’t awful attendance, right? :ohdear:

also- lol, just a solid lol at the only people in Roman and Cena gear are children and moms.

was tickled pink by the mom who told me that my vest with a “suck it” patch is “inappropriate”

the escape goat fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Oct 17, 2017

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

How can the show be good when mr. lahey is gone.

Fiveace Attorney
Dec 12, 2006

I ain't his friend! If you were to ask me if I was his friend, I would say "NO" to you!
roman reigns is a mediocre wrestler who can only do five moves, only does three of them anyway and cant cut a promo

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
If the first order of business for the Shield is to job out Ambrose and Rollins as tag team champs, I am gonna turn hard on this whole thing immediately

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cams
Mar 28, 2003

i recognize that i may have a flawed perspective, what are considered to be the big dog's best in ring performances?

• Locked thread