Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

KakerMix posted:

I see you your 72 Toyota Publica and raise you 73 Mitsubishi Lancer

Love it. Perfect colour, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Kaker, if there is corrosion on the auction sheet dont pay to have it inspected. Rust usually means surface rust, corrosion means its going through metal.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

Kaker, if there is corrosion on the auction sheet dont pay to have it inspected. Rust usually means surface rust, corrosion means its going through metal.

Yeah, but the sheet was inconsistent with itself. This is what the inspector said:

Inspector posted:

Engine starts and runs fine, idles smooth, no leaks, some white smoke when revving engine but not while idling, white smoke did not get worse as engine heated up, coolant is full and clean, no coolant smell in smoke. Timing belt sticker found but date/mileage is illegible, Exterior and interior are in good shape for age and mileage, undercarriage rust and paint, no soft spots or holes, suspension and drive shaft look fine, door jams are clean, rear gate dampers good, 30% tread left on tires, chip in windshield very small, dents listed on roof small with no rust, clutch and 4wd are good, other electrics all working, no check lamps on, no rips or stains inside, headliner loose in places, heat is working but cant test AC.

vs. the sheet:

Auction Sheet posted:

interior dirty/scratched, undercarriage rust and corrosion, ceiling liner sagging, no A/C belt, windshield chip, scratches and dents as on diagram.

The inspector couldn't find corrosion at all, but the sheet mentions it in the text but not on the diagram.
I didn't expect to bid on it anyway but I am curious on trying to get a better feel for prices and demands and things and felt that the ($30) inspection was worth it. It going for over 8 grand threw me for a hard loop though.

KakerMix posted:

I see you your 72 Toyota Publica and raise you 73 Mitsubishi Lancer

The bidding went to $3980 but, of course, it did not sell. I don't know what the reserve price is/was but I have to assume it's close to $15000 if not more.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

KakerMix posted:

Results are in:

Nissan Be-1

Sold for $1720

Oh man now I want to get into this...

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
What was the reserve on the AZ-1? Was there something wrong with it?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

MetaJew posted:

What was the reserve on the AZ-1? Was there something wrong with it?

Nobody knows the reserve, it's intentionally kept secret like it would be on a place like eBay.
I don't have a translation of the auction sheet but I assume the AZ-1 is in good shape by the pictures and the fact that it's minimum bid was $2500. It was listed as 'RA' grade which means it was in a minor accident but repaired. Usually a nice one that's (soon) eligible for export to the US is at least $8000 but there are so few AZ-1s at all so the data is kind of light.
Maybe the reserve was around 6k?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

KakerMix posted:

Yeah, but the sheet was inconsistent with itself. This is what the inspector said:

vs. the sheet:

The inspector couldn't find corrosion at all, but the sheet mentions it in the text but not on the diagram.
I didn't expect to bid on it anyway but I am curious on trying to get a better feel for prices and demands and things and felt that the ($30) inspection was worth it. It going for over 8 grand threw me for a hard loop though.

The bidding went to $3980 but, of course, it did not sell. I don't know what the reserve price is/was but I have to assume it's close to $15000 if not more.

what. I didn't expect the $15k ballpark.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Delicas usually go for 6-7, 8.5 for the crystalline. 5.5 if you get lucky. Those are what I have found to be winning bids on the ones I have lost. I am keeping a Google doc on USS auctions that I win/lose so I have more data points to work with, they can tell you the winning but can't release it publically. I could invite you Kaker if you want.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

BlackMK4 posted:

what. I didn't expect the $15k ballpark.

I just assume, it's a 3.5 with B grade interior Lancer with little to no flaws on the diagram portion of the sheet. 'Nice' old cars with reconizable nameplates typically go for $$$, kind of like a B grade Land Cruiser or Skyline. The 70s GTR
Skylines are $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Delicas usually go for 6-7, 8.5 for the crystalline. 5.5 if you get lucky. Those are what I have found to be winning bids on the ones I have lost. I am keeping a Google doc on USS auctions that I win/lose so I have more data points to work with, they can tell you the winning but can't release it publically. I could invite you Kaker if you want.
I was just blindsided for just how desirable that specific Delica would be. I can imagine the cool points you'd get among Delica people in the pacific northwest. Sure a typical Delica is cool but show up in an 84? Awww poo poo son :getin:
It would be rad as heck to help contribute to your sheet, I'll PM you my email.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

KakerMix posted:

Nobody knows the reserve, it's intentionally kept secret like it would be on a place like eBay.
I don't have a translation of the auction sheet but I assume the AZ-1 is in good shape by the pictures and the fact that it's minimum bid was $2500. It was listed as 'RA' grade which means it was in a minor accident but repaired. Usually a nice one that's (soon) eligible for export to the US is at least $8000 but there are so few AZ-1s at all so the data is kind of light.
Maybe the reserve was around 6k?

Is that $8k at auction or including import and delivery to the US?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

MetaJew posted:

Is that $8k at auction or including import and delivery to the US?

Just at auction, count on $2500+ to get it here in the US on top of that. You can certainly get them cheaper but they are going to be on the abused side.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

I expected a bumrush to be happening on the AZ-1 but :holymoley: I don't think I expected this. If this is a litmus test of things to come I suspect as many of the ~5000 Autozams in existence will come stateside as possible.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1992-mazda-az-1/

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I expected a bumrush to be happening on the AZ-1 but :holymoley: I don't think I expected this. If this is a litmus test of things to come I suspect as many of the ~5000 Autozams in existence will come stateside as possible.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1992-mazda-az-1/

Has rust.
You're right though, Canada has had 15 years to get it's fill on AZ-1s so the US will probably clear out the rest in Japan.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
The AZ1's are going to get up there, but I'm more into this Sera: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1990-toyota-sera-3/

Any idea what they are going for to import?

Such a cool car and it's just a Paseo underneath! I love 90's Toyota econoboxes and this is pretty much the ultimate expression of them.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Voltage posted:

The AZ1's are going to get up there, but I'm more into this Sera: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1990-toyota-sera-3/

Any idea what they are going for to import?

Such a cool car and it's just a Paseo underneath! I love 90's Toyota econoboxes and this is pretty much the ultimate expression of them.

Pretty cheap from what I've seen. Just like Paos or Be-1s the weird-but-unknown stuff goes for cheaper than you'd think. The hardest part about getting a Sera would be waiting for one with a manual transmission (since like Be-1s or Paos most were sold with automatics). The Seras are known for being brutally hot in warmer places like Florida because of that wrap around glass greenhouse.
That said, they own hard because a Paseo was just a Tercel and Tercels are just Starlets :v:

EDIT
Apparently 10% of all Seras were sold with manuals, so, yeah. Going to be a wait.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

KakerMix posted:

That said, they own hard because a Paseo was just a Tercel and Tercels are just Starlets :v:
EDIT
Apparently 10% of all Seras were sold with manuals, so, yeah. Going to be a wait.

I like your reasoning.

Duncan's has 12 Seras at the moment, 2 being sticks. I love the green color they came in. Kermit green?
http://www.duncanimports.com/used/Toyota/1990-Toyota-Sera-86d46dd60a0e08f769e856e3d449e228.htm

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Garage2Roadtrip posted:

I like your reasoning.

Duncan's has 12 Seras at the moment, 2 being sticks. I love the green color they came in. Kermit green?
http://www.duncanimports.com/used/Toyota/1990-Toyota-Sera-86d46dd60a0e08f769e856e3d449e228.htm

Ok so from what I can see a condition 3.5 automatic Sera goes for between 1200 - 1600 bucks at auction and I'd tack on another 500 for a manual transmission one if it were to come up. Condition 3 Seras go for just over 1000, so potentially you are looking at 5-6k all said an done for a condition 4 Sera with a stick like the one you have in your post. If you can find one.
I'd argue that the price is high however these weird niche cars being what they are you don't have many alternatives. I even looked around (where I could) on lots in Japan and only found one currently for sale and they want 11k USD for it.
http://www.carsensor.net/usedcar/detail/CU6111578815/index.html?TRCD=200002

Considering Duncan's has THE color that defines the Sera (that Kermit green) is a 5 speed, AND is in good shape (a grade 4 even) I'd say it's a good price if you are in the US and want a manual transmission Sera. It's already here in the US and (presumably) has a US title too.

I'd be a little worried about the aftermarket headunit in it too but that would be easy enough to replace.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
One that was up for £3.6k (clean looking auto) here in the UK just vanished today, presumably sold.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

KakerMix posted:

Ok so from what I can see a condition 3.5 automatic Sera goes for between 1200 - 1600 bucks at auction and I'd tack on another 500 for a manual transmission one if it were to come up. Condition 3 Seras go for just over 1000, so potentially you are looking at 5-6k all said an done for a condition 4 Sera with a stick like the one you have in your post. If you can find one.
I'd argue that the price is high however these weird niche cars being what they are you don't have many alternatives. I even looked around (where I could) on lots in Japan and only found one currently for sale and they want 11k USD for it.
http://www.carsensor.net/usedcar/detail/CU6111578815/index.html?TRCD=200002

Considering Duncan's has THE color that defines the Sera (that Kermit green) is a 5 speed, AND is in good shape (a grade 4 even) I'd say it's a good price if you are in the US and want a manual transmission Sera. It's already here in the US and (presumably) has a US title too.

I'd be a little worried about the aftermarket headunit in it too but that would be easy enough to replace.

Yeah, I mean, you can pick apart various deals juxtaposed against winning an auction and doing the import legwork yourself. But if you want to go buy a car you want, these exist .

e: ....as a data point, because from what I can tell you're not selling any, so hopefully I'm not cutting into your biz or whatever.

Garage2Roadtrip fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Oct 13, 2017

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Garage2Roadtrip posted:

Yeah, I mean, you can pick apart various deals juxtaposed against winning an auction and doing the import legwork yourself. But if you want to go buy a car you want, these exist .

e: ....as a data point, because from what I can tell you're not selling any, so hopefully I'm not cutting into your biz or whatever.

Yeah that 6k price would be someone doing it themselves, not buying one from me unless I got a killer deal.

This thread isn't for me and my ~business~ it's for talking about what it's like and importing and prices and all that information. Primarily I plan on selling outside of SA simply because most of us here are the types to change our own oil and that feels like it would be similar to importing something yourself.
Not that I'm against selling to goons but that isn't the purpose at all. If it were I certainly wouldn't be talking prices! Gotta keep the secrets :ssh:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Have you seen any Honda City Turbos go through yet?

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I just got back from Japan and I am really liking their goofy minivan-like the vehicles such as the Stepwagon.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Human Grand Prix posted:

I just got back from Japan and I am really liking their goofy minivan-like the vehicles such as the Stepwagon.

All the little kei cars are obviously where Honda moved all their packaging experts to as they put the Americans on rapidly inflating the Civic.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Have you seen any Honda City Turbos go through yet?

Only two have gone through the auctions in the last three months and only one with 'sold' listed.

This one for $2720, with some tarted-up bits stuck on it and a bit of rust on the rear hatch.

Otherwise a whole bunch of Cabrios though.

On lots there are a few and the price tends to be about 7 grand. Presumably they are in really good shape.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

The EPA, nhts, and cbp forms only took three hours to fill out for both trucks. Not too bad to do yourself. The 25% chicken tax is for new or used trucks, I am going to play dumb and hope that the agent reviewing the forms on Monday does not care or notice. Wish me luck.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

The EPA, nhts, and cbp forms only took three hours to fill out for both trucks. Not too bad to do yourself. The 25% chicken tax is for new or used trucks, I am going to play dumb and hope that the agent reviewing the forms on Monday does not care or notice. Wish me luck.

Set aside the money, they can always go after you later.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KakerMix posted:

On lots there are a few and the price tends to be about 7 grand. Presumably they are in really good shape.

I've only seen the cabrios so far, but 7k is pushing it for those cars.

Maybe it's because i lived in Japan and got some of these cars for pennies and sometimes for free, I'd have a hard time justifying spending that kind of money on cars that are usually just scrapped anyways. I'm sure that's why there are so many more Cabrios, they were held on to because of it, and the regular turbos were insignificant and scrapped. Given the fickle nature of Japanese car owners I'm kind of surprised there are any left at all honestly.

[edit] loving :lol:

https://www.tradecarview.com/used_car/honda/city/21659803/

That price is loving crazy talk, I can't believe people are paying that kind of money for such mediocre highly used cars.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Oct 14, 2017

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Talked to customs office today, 25% duty is being enforced. loving rip. This will eat a huge amount of the profit built in so I can say as of now these will be the first and the last kei trucks we import. Apparently I need to fill out an ISF form as well. The other confusing part is that CBP says that I need to take possession of the vehicles and bring them to the CBP office for inspection. Although my shipping company I think wont release them until Customs has signed off on the paperwork. Apparently I need to make some phone calls, and fill out some more paperwork.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Is there a configuration for one that wouldn't attract the tax? Like a camper body etc?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

InitialDave posted:

Is there a configuration for one that wouldn't attract the tax? Like a camper body etc?

I was incorrect before, and Garbagemen was right (the whole time) what with the 25% tax being enforced.
Makes sense though because the broker I'm working with will ask, specifically, if the vehicle is meant for passenger use. Since I've only imported vans and a little SUV I've been cleared every time.

So yeah, if it has back seats then it won't get dinged for the 25%. However I suppose you can always artificially lower the bought price on the paperwork and pay that much less on that 25% but ???

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Can you Brat them up with seats in the bed?

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

InitialDave posted:

So the way i read the law is this: if its primary purpose is to carry goods it is hit with the 25% tax, if its primary purpose is to carry passengers it is 2.5% (for informal entries). From all the cases and exceptions it does not seem like this is a cut and dry rule. For example a Mazda MPV comes over, primary purpose is passengers 2.5%. The rear seats are all removed the CBP can say its now goods 25% tax (you would have to contest and get a private letter ruling , read :expensive to get). The other big one is Ford Transits, they are supposedly shipped over in a passenger van config, ford removes the seats and puts in cargo van stuff evading the 25% tariff.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I wonder if Ford sends the seats back to be re used or just burns them or something :v:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I wonder if Ford sends the seats back to be re used or just burns them or something :v:

They're probably fed into an industrial shredder and sold as fill.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006
They are shipped right back over to Turkey and used again and again.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Whatup guys check this out (pic is also a link)

Real-deal GTR, T so it isn't inspected like normal HOWEVER you can have the JCD people send one over.

Here is the sheet translation

GTR Sheet posted:

only 500 units made, 5MT, AC, full original, inspection records (many), options (kneepad set, stereo, floor mats), 1990 original registration, 1993 second owner, 2009 registration changed to second owner spouse, 2014 unregistered, spare key, 4WD, optional turbo timer
It's going to probably go for serious $$$$$$$ but what the hell maybe one of you guys has the pockets to have a real Nissan GTR. Hope this isn't too shilly but I told Yoshi I'd post his email for this just in case.

yoshi@japancardirect.com

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
If there's one thing I miss from 90s JDM performance cars, it's the optional knee bolsters on the door cards.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
The joys of trying to hold yourself in place around the track with stock seats

Faster Blaster
Feb 6, 2010
RCR did a walkaround of a Daihatsu Mitsubishi Delica Delcia. I kinda liked these goofball offroad-y micro vans before, and seeing the weird little quirks hasn't put me off. I have to imagine sourcing parts to fix any special snowflake options is a nightmare, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qn5duIcIW1s

Maybe I can get one after I graduate. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

KakerMix posted:

Whatup guys check this out (pic is also a link)

Real-deal GTR, T so it isn't inspected like normal HOWEVER you can have the JCD people send one over.

Here is the sheet translation

It's going to probably go for serious $$$$$$$ but what the hell maybe one of you guys has the pockets to have a real Nissan GTR. Hope this isn't too shilly but I told Yoshi I'd post his email for this just in case.

yoshi@japancardirect.com

There's a surprising number of R32's running around my home state here.