Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Trastion posted:

Don't buy things that will spoil before you will use it all. That is just common sense. If your family will eat a whole bag of apples in a week then it can be a good buy. If you live alone and eat 1 or 2 maybe don't buy the huge bag and get a couple single apples at a regular store.

Apples last up to two months in a fridge. They're some of the only produce I buy at Costco. PBUC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

ArbitraryC posted:

the weird part is you buy a big thing and it's still more expensive per pound than just a local place.

This is true for a ton of things at costco. There are some items that are a great buy and are cheaper or better quality that make it worth it, but if you're buying all of your groceries from the 'co you'll probably never recoup your $50 a year. Cool, I can buy 5lbs of butter at once for a higher unit cost than 1lb from a regular grocery store? There are some things like meat that are easy to freeze so buying in bulk makes sense, but my Stater Bros will have chicken thighs or breasts for literally half the price as Costco when they go on sale, and its the kind of thing that is easy to only buy when it goes on sale every other week.

And at Stater Bros I don't have to wait 10mins to find a parking spot a quarter mile away and then wade through crowds of people and then wait in a checkout line that is 5+ people deep.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Good Dog posted:

This is true for a ton of things at costco. There are some items that are a great buy and are cheaper or better quality that make it worth it, but if you're buying all of your groceries from the 'co you'll probably never recoup your $50 a year. Cool, I can buy 5lbs of butter at once for a higher unit cost than 1lb from a regular grocery store? There are some things like meat that are easy to freeze so buying in bulk makes sense, but my Stater Bros will have chicken thighs or breasts for literally half the price as Costco when they go on sale, and its the kind of thing that is easy to only buy when it goes on sale every other week.

And at Stater Bros I don't have to wait 10mins to find a parking spot a quarter mile away and then wade through crowds of people and then wait in a checkout line that is 5+ people deep.

You sound dangerously close to heresy, friend...

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

Trastion posted:

Don't buy things that will spoil before you will use it all. That is just common sense. If your family will eat a whole bag of apples in a week then it can be a good buy. If you live alone and eat 1 or 2 maybe don't buy the huge bag and get a couple single apples at a regular store.

It's not even the timing. Fruit at costco spoils within days. I can pick up every nectarine in the tray, bring it home and the very first day there will be mold growing on one of them. Then I throw it away so the mold doesn't spread and I find another one with mold on it. Maybe I throw away half the tray like this. It's not a question of not eating it fast enough, the fruit just spoil too quickly. Maybe Costco needs better buyers for fruit?

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

You sound dangerously close to heresy, friend...

You don't need a membership to buy your hotdog, and in many states you don't need a membership to buy alcohol or pharmacy goods.

I've got maybe 10 things I'll buy from costco that are unbeatable price wise, but on just about any dairy/produce its cheaper to get at a regular grocery store.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Good Dog posted:

You don't need a membership to buy your hotdog, and in many states you don't need a membership to buy alcohol or pharmacy goods.

I've got maybe 10 things I'll buy from costco that are unbeatable price wise, but on just about any dairy/produce its cheaper to get at a regular grocery store.

I think dairy, particularly cheese, is actually real cheap at costco and their milk lasts forever.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

Good soup! posted:

What is CNBC talking about, did they stop selling La Croix? I just bought some not long ago? :psyduck:

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/10/13/costco-is-still-cheaper-than-whole-foods-but-it-doesnt-sell-lacroix.html

They've been selling those big cases with plain, lemon, and lime at the one I've been shopping at for years? :confused:

Updated:
"Correction: A previous version of this story inaccurately stated that Costco does not sell the beverage brand LaCroix."

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

Im Ready for DEATH posted:

It's not even the timing. Fruit at costco spoils within days. I can pick up every nectarine in the tray, bring it home and the very first day there will be mold growing on one of them. Then I throw it away so the mold doesn't spread and I find another one with mold on it. Maybe I throw away half the tray like this. It's not a question of not eating it fast enough, the fruit just spoil too quickly. Maybe Costco needs better buyers for fruit?

This is probably the case, but it might also depend on where you live and how far away the fruit comes from. At my Costco during the summer more than a couple times they got berries in that were already going bad before they even had a chance to put them out and sell them. One time they got so many peaches and nectarines in that there was no way they could sell them all before they went bad.

They do try to avoid having to throw out all that stuff though. If only one or two strawberries in a package are bad and the rest are good then they'll just take the bad ones out and sell it. If there's more then a few bad ones they'll cull the good ones together in an attempt to not have to throw out an entire pallet of strawberries. However, one could argue that while their intention is good, if one or two in a package is bad then the rest can't be very far behind them.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
The best strawberries I ever ate in my entire life came from Costco, but they’ve never been that good since.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Still mad at Popcornopolis leaving

That replacement stuff is garbage

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

ArbitraryC posted:

I think dairy, particularly cheese, is actually real cheap at costco and their milk lasts forever.

Milk has flavor, what they sell as such does not.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Just got done with my interview. Unless I get hired by the insurance company in Madison I interviewed with, I'm gonna be working in the Tire Center at Costco.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Infidel Castro posted:

Just got done with my interview. Unless I get hired by the insurance company in Madison I interviewed with, I'm gonna be working in the Tire Center at Costco.

Can you get me one of those sweet red hats that the employees wear? I tried to get one today but no one would give me one.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Half and half at Costco is my poo poo, lasts me almost a month, and we drink coffee like we're working on the glen gary leads

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Meydey posted:

I eat a lot of broccoli, but I don't think I have ever finished a bag before it went bad. The stuff gets stinky real quick.

I do like the 4lb bags of spinach though.

Most of the time we don't either, but between my wife and I we'll eat enough to where it is still cheaper to buy the bag even we don't eat it all vs. getting it elsewhere. Especially because it's pre-washed. Granted we just had a Lucky's open up less than 5 minutes from us so I'll probably be getting brocs from there.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

ArbitraryC posted:

For whatever reason, the Costcos by me got their milk from Ohio when I first got my membership.

I live in loving Wisconsin.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Costco milk rules in Atlanta. PBUC

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

iawtp

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
Costco gets some of its glorious low prices by negotiating with suppliers really really well and some of it by doing the logistics really really well. But doing the logistics really really well also means having a properly optimized number of warehouses - and the optimization probably prioritizes the spoilage effects less, because not too much of the things they sell are amenable to spoilage. Not an effect on the butcher because they have onsite butchers and ship whole sides of beef and things, but for produce there is an effect

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

Dely Apple posted:

when i was at my costco yesterday popcornopolis had a huge display for samples

as for costco fruits and veg i get most of my stuff there and am pretty happy with it for the most part, just have to inspect stuff good before you buy it... the 2 main things i have to go elsewhere for are normal cucumbers instead of the english hothouse, and green bell peppers instead of the red and yellow... just roasted potatoes, onions, carrots, brussel sprouts, mushrooms and asparagus, all of it from costco, and it turned out great

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Trader Joe's milk always goes bad before the date. I don't drink enough milk to buy it at Costco, but my son is going to be in prime cow milk drinking age soon.

Picked up this fresh squeezed crocodile cheese. Thanks Australia, it's legit.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

seems like kind of a cop out to not make it from crocodile milk, or at the very least, crocodile fed cows.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

I buy giant gently caress off bags of potatoes, carrots, and onions, and their 1.5lb bag of mixed greens also their clam shells of apples. Even eating just 1 apple a day those puppies are not going bad. Pretty much everything else is iffy and not really a deal anyways. The brocollete is dank as gently caress but kind of expensive

Btw the Costco car insurance is the bomb and executive members get extra perks as well

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
howdy y'all i have a bay aryan costco trip report re: beer

18:45 i bought a 24 pack of lagunitas brown shugga from costco
18:45 never had this poo poo before, but it's 10% abv
18:46 pretty good
21:13 christ on the cross i am hosed Up off three beers
21:13 need to buy more of this poo poo

god bless costco. pbuc

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

JewKiller 3000 posted:

howdy y'all i have a bay aryan

Hmmmmm

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
ohh right i forgot, no jokes in gbs

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Powershift posted:

seems like kind of a cop out to not make it from crocodile milk, or at the very least, crocodile fed cows.

we feed crocodiles to our milk crocs and their crocodile milk to our milk cows to get that double crocced in goodness

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

JewKiller 3000 posted:

" " "jokes" " "

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Former DILF posted:

(((jokes)))

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

JewKiller 3000 posted:

Look if JewKiller 3000's phone autocorrects 'area' to 'aryan' who am I to judge?

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

:thejoke:

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

also gently caress off you racist poo poo

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

incredible lol

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
All I know is that Dr. Tim's devotion to the church of the holy Co is inspirational to even the less than devout, we can all learn a lesson from a man whose entire live revolves around the Co

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

actually making a church of the 'co is a great idea, it would give you a community with which to share the bulk packs, save even more money

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Dely Apple posted:

Have you tried the big bag of The Mix from G.H. Cretors? It's friggin awesome and my wife and i fight over it.

This is what I get regularly and is my current grocery list this week
The Mix by G.H. Cretors
Stuffed Salmon
Danishes
Cooking oil
Gouda
Artichoke hearts
1/lb PLUS all beef hot dog with soft drink with free refill for $1.49

These are all excellent purchases and you should try them today!

Croatoan fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Oct 17, 2017

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Teikanmi posted:

All I know is that Dr. Tim's devotion to the church of the holy Co is inspirational to even the less than devout, we can all learn a lesson from a man whose entire live revolves around the Co

Thank you friend, I view my work as if I was a missionary sharing the Good News! PBUC

A new miracle occurred recently! The big box of little round brownies is truly a revelation from on high. Eat it(and share!) in good health.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Did the Costco crab stuffed salmon on Sunday night, made a smoky onion remoulade to top it, with a mixed green salad topped with crispy fried shallots :discourse: Pricey but tasty!

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

FogHelmut posted:

Picked up this fresh squeezed crocodile cheese. Thanks Australia, it's legit.

This stuff is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Thank you friend, I view my work as if I was a missionary sharing the Good News! PBUC

A new miracle occurred recently! The big box of little round brownies is truly a revelation from on high. Eat it(and share!) in good health.

Those little lemon cakes they have are insanely good too