Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Inco posted:

I might check out DOS2, even though I never played the original, because I've been getting back into RPGs in a big way. I recently played Shadowrun: Dead Man's Switch (as much as the game let me before it started softlocking), and I had a lot more fun with that this time than the last time I tried it shortly after release. I'm planning on starting Dragonfall once I finish playing FFX HD, which I'm having a lot of fun with. I might go back and try Pillars of Eternity again, because I bounced off the gameplay pretty hard first time around.

Also, King Dice is an rear end in a top hat.

There’s not much point in playing original sin 1 now that 2 is out. 2 is better in every single way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Inco posted:

I might check out DOS2, even though I never played the original, because I've been getting back into RPGs in a big way. I recently played Shadowrun: Dead Man's Switch (as much as the game let me before it started softlocking), and I had a lot more fun with that this time than the last time I tried it shortly after release. I'm planning on starting Dragonfall once I finish playing FFX HD, which I'm having a lot of fun with. I might go back and try Pillars of Eternity again, because I bounced off the gameplay pretty hard first time around.

Also, King Dice is an rear end in a top hat.

Play the Infinity Engine classics too, if you haven't yet. Baldur's Gate I & II, Icewind Dale and Planescape: Torment are all on Steam these days.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

bonds0097 posted:

Looks like a redux of one of his original games about alchemy, which was itself an inspiration for spacechem.

Ah, I thought I was going crazy feeling like I had already seen/played this exact game before from the trailer.

The best thing I've accomplished in a Zachtronics game is completing 100 games of solitaire in Shenzhen I/O.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

today I learned that somebody decided shelob needed to be sexy. what a time to be alive

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Phlegmish posted:

Play the Infinity Engine classics too, if you haven't yet. Baldur's Gate I & II, Icewind Dale and Planescape: Torment are all on Steam these days.

If they didn't like Pillar's gameplay they might not be too keen on the Infinity games either, since the actual combat is very similar.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Andrast posted:

There’s not much point in playing original sin 1 now that 2 is out. 2 is better in every single way.

Cursed be the mother that bred thee/ The lack of Bellegar is a travesty!

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

il_cornuto posted:

If they didn't like Pillar's gameplay they might not be too keen on the Infinity games either, since the actual combat is very similar.

I loved playing a naked Cypher in Pillars

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

SirSamVimes posted:

today I learned that somebody decided shelob needed to be sexy. what a time to be alive

"We found out focus group resonated more with sexy ladies than giant spiders."

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

SirSamVimes posted:

He also apparently thought Shelob was a secret good guy in the books.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Velocity Raptor posted:

"We found out focus group resonated more with sexy ladies than giant spiders."

Focus groups are weird

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

tight aspirations posted:

Bellegar Bellegar Bellegar

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

il_cornuto posted:

I'm willing to give Pillars another shot with a more open mind than when I played it the first time. I didn't like Shadowrun Returns' gameplay at first either, and now I'm looking forward to playing Dragonfall and Hong Kong.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

why did we need to "resonate" with the giant human-eating spider

you know what? I'm going to assume that seeing Shelob as a sexy lady is all part of the corrupting influence of the rings of power

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

tight aspirations posted:

Whoa whoa whoa does OS2 not have a Bellegar quest?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Somebody needs to make a mod that replaces Shelob with a bear.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

That reminds me of that MGSV mod that replaces Quiet's model with Ocelot's. Something like that definitely needs to happen here

Just replace Shelob's human model with a generic Uruk or something

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

ymgve posted:

Why didn't NATO lead the peacekeeping action in the first place? Why am I arguing about logic in a game where North Korea takes over half the globe?
The setup of the game is that Steve Jobs/Apple was North Korean and America is a debt-drowned, warmongering crap hole that no country likes. So when NotApple turns off America's iGuns and starts strip mining the place the rest of the world is :shrug:
If anything the rest of the world is more upset about the resources NK gets from controlling the US than the people.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Palpek posted:

A sexy bear?

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Really Pants posted:

A sexy bear?

It seems like it. I didn't think Palpek had a bear fetish. I guess a bare bear would be a turn on?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Replace Shelob's with a musical number of BearForceOne made by Uruks.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

QuarkJets posted:

you know what? I'm going to assume that seeing Shelob as a sexy lady is all part of the corrupting influence of the rings of power
really dumb actual spoiler: sexy shelob's on your side because sexy sauron broke up with her

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Really Pants posted:

A sexy bear?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Palpek posted:

Tallion and Billy Herrington Take Mordor

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Threep posted:

really dumb actual spoiler: sexy shelob's on your side because sexy sauron broke up with her

:allears: amazing

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

Really Pants posted:

A sexy bear?
edit: god drat IT @ Awesmoe

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Threep posted:

can we really blame him for tapping that abdomen, I know I would

:swoon:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Kragger99 posted:

It seems like it. I didn't think Palpek had a bear fetish. I guess a bare bear would be a turn on?
For the record I was refering to that hilarious Skyrim mod that replaced spiders with bears for people who have arachnophobia but this works too.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Threep posted:

hm

maybe i need to play that game after all

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Palpek posted:

For the record I was refering to that hilarious Skyrim mod that replaced spiders with bears for people who have arachnophobia but this works too.

Yeah, I figured it was something that went completely over my head.

Edit: VVV Thanks for the enlightenment :) I seriously don't remember that one at all. VVV

Kragger99 fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Oct 17, 2017

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

It's never too late to catch up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsdf7r5A4QA

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Threep posted:

Shelob's you, yeah yeah yeah

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames

Threep posted:

Well to be brutally honest Sauron was originally a giant cat in the Silmarillion so... It still doesn't make sense.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Seventh Arrow posted:

Shelob's you, yeah yeah yeah

:golfclap:

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Fart of Presto posted:

Have you had a chance to look into its co-op mode?
Is it possible to play the full campaign in co-op, is it a stand-alone mode, or is it special missions within the campaign that are available for co-op play?

I tried it for a bit. It consists of missions that take place in the open world where you have to complete a number of pretty basic tasks. Ambush a convoy, hack a thing, defend a building and so on. You play a customized character that you can upgrade with skills, gear and equipment. The games can be played solo (if anyone else is still playing it online I would be very surprised), and I've completed one of them, but for a new character, there's just too much going on for it to be passable and satisfying. I'll probably try it for a bit more, but the XP/cash rewards are just not good enough to make it a lasting thing.

It's honestly a shame, because the online mode has something going for it. You've got a lot of skills, the same satisfying gunplay and a whole poo poo ton of gear and vanity items, which fits me because I loving love to play dress up.

Additionally, a few final thoughts now that I've completed the whole mess:
Your dumb mute idiot boy actually talks in the DLC missions (and one of the characters comments that he liked you better when you didn't), and it genuinely improves things because the whole Gordon Freeman shtick is getting pretty old these days.

The DLC missions are also an improvement in general. The closed mission structure highlights the graphics and gunplay in a good way, and the characters and dialogue is just better and more entertaining than in the main game.The AI pathfinding gets a bit clumsy in the last mission, but otherwise it's good.

(Ending spoilers) Dana, the terrible character, gets herself killed in an exceptionally pointless manner (taking out a tank with a suicide bomb run in a cutscene, after I've basically walked through the entire level carrying half a ton of explosive weaponry on my body), so that's good.

Croccers posted:

and America is a debt-drowned, warmongering crap hole that no country likes

i mean...

She Bangs the Drums posted:

ive never met a person that has actually finished a zachtronic game. I own 3 of them because they are basically god level puzzlers but I suck so bad at them.

I completed Infinifactory and it's probably my proudest achievement in gaming, and I got pretty far in TIS-100, which is genuinely the most satisfying game I've ever played. I should get started on SpaceChem one of these days.

Black Griffon fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Oct 17, 2017

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames

Black Griffon posted:

I completed Infinifactory and it's probably my proudest achievement in gaming, and I got pretty far in TIS-100, which is genuinely the most satisfying game I've ever played. I should get started on SpaceChem one of these days.

I got the first boss in Spacechem and got stuck.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Spacechem is starting to show its age, if its even possible for a puzzle game. Compared to everything after it the pacing is a little odd and the 2d plane is a strange intersection of spatial and programmatic puzzling compared to Infinifactory or the actual programming games.

The last part makes me slightly worried about my own enjoyment from Magnum Opus because beside the point about 2d programming being strangely harder than scripting or 3d manipulation, I remember Codex being beyond frustrating. But then I see it in motion and know I need it or else.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

I loved the puzzles but hated the bosses. Killed the game for me, I'm not fond of time limits.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
You can ignore the real-time interaction component of the SpaceChem boss levels and brute force all of them (or at least all of the ones i got to), so you can just treat them as more or less normal levels. Automate, run, see if it works.

I should get back to that weird space diamond laser boss again. But every time i boot up SpaceChem, i browse through some of my older solutions (especially Blue Danube), see it in action, think "I did that? Really? HOLY poo poo" and then deflate in defeat, knowing that the prime achievements of my life already lie behind me

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
While we're on SpaceChem, remeber when sensor pads got introduced? To make branching decisions on what kind of input you get? Then it throws levels with randomized input at you to get you to use the sensors?

Remember the level No Ordinary Headache, which gave you N2 and O2 in random order and wanted NO and (i think) gave you an achievement if you complete it in a single reactor instead of the 3 or so it gives you?

How about you do the level in a single reactor, and WITHOUT using sensors at all to detect which random input you get.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BO9l3Y7WBDA

SpaceChem is great, because it's a puzzle game where even the most insane solutions can work if you put enough work into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Palpek posted:

Oh I was hoping you were talking about Dream Daddy