Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Start is apparently laying fiber on my street. Ever so slowly toward my apartment. I don't need it, but knowing that it's coming is driving me nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Bieeardo posted:

Start is apparently laying fiber on my street. Ever so slowly toward my apartment. I don't need it, but knowing that it's coming is driving me nuts.

Bell committed to fibre to the suite in my building by the end of Feb. It's now October and they aren't going to get it done until mid 2018, if that. We have the in suite stuff done, but the path they were going to use to run fibre to their CO got destroyed something like 20 years ago when the sewer was redone on our street, and nobody at Bell knew this. They are now planning on running a new trench, but that's going to be $$$ so they've been delaying and giving excuses.

At this rate, TPIA's will get on fibre before I do. :/

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I asked this many, many months ago, but are there any legit internet based TV companies we can get out west? I cut the cord 8+ years ago but if there are some decently priced, pick and choose providers that go over the net I might be tempted to give it a try.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The incumbent TV providers own all the Canadian TV networks which hold exclusive distribution rights for most programming. A lot of the tv streaming services still require a subscription to the cable channel.

There is no legal way to watch most new broadcast TV online without having a cable TV subscription, and giving money to Bell, Telus, Rogers, or Shaw.

If you want to watch game of thrones legally, you have to pay for a cable/fiber TV subscription, $40/month and the movie network(owned by bell), $20 a month. or buy episodes on a service like itunes, $180 for the 7 seasons so far.

Or you can do what everybody else in the country does and get one of those android boxes off kijiji and pretend you don't know how all the tv shows come into the house for free.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

slidebite posted:

I asked this many, many months ago, but are there any legit internet based TV companies we can get out west? I cut the cord 8+ years ago but if there are some decently priced, pick and choose providers that go over the net I might be tempted to give it a try.

Do you not get Netflix west of Ontario?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

infernal machines posted:

No, we only get Canadian Netflix. He's probably got most of what's on there on VHS already.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Heh, you think Netflix is full of old poo poo?

Wait until you see Amazon Prime Video.
Oh, my God; unless you count direct to video budget garbage, nothing is more recent than 2011. It basically only exists as a platform for their proprietary TV shows.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Mister Facetious posted:

Oh, my God; unless you count direct to video budget garbage, nothing is more recent than 2011. It basically only exists as a platform for their proprietary TV shows.

Yeah, but with Amazon Prime, you also get free shipping on items that are inexplicably twice the price of Amazon US.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Mister Facetious posted:

It basically only exists as a platform for their proprietary TV shows.

... a year behind their US platform, because reasons.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Powershift posted:

Yeah, but with Amazon Prime, you also get free shipping on items that are inexplicably twice the price of Amazon US.

One and two day shipping that always takes three days... :tinfoil:

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Mister Facetious posted:

One and two day shipping that always takes three days... :tinfoil:

Hey now, Montreal has one day shipping using strange carriers with no pick up locations for when you miss the delivery.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

EngineerJoe posted:

Hey now, Montreal has one day shipping using strange carriers with no pick up locations for when you miss the delivery.

You mean Canada Post? :shrug:

Always do Super Saver. It used to be next day because Mississauga is just so close, but I guess now they artificially delay shipment because otherwise there'd be no incentive to get Prime.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

As a poor that always springs for the free shipping, Canada Post is far and away the most reliable for me.

EngineerJoe posted:

Yeah, I hate DHL too. :argh:

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I will be sad if Newegg ever goes that route.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Jan posted:

Always do Super Saver. It used to be next day because Mississauga is just so close, but I guess now they artificially delay shipment because otherwise there'd be no incentive to get Prime.

Uber for white panel vans:
https://logistics.amazon.com/

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Amazon's courier service is such loving garbage

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Powershift posted:

The incumbent TV providers own all the Canadian TV networks which hold exclusive distribution rights for most programming. A lot of the tv streaming services still require a subscription to the cable channel.

There is no legal way to watch most new broadcast TV online without having a cable TV subscription, and giving money to Bell, Telus, Rogers, or Shaw.

If you want to watch game of thrones legally, you have to pay for a cable/fiber TV subscription, $40/month and the movie network(owned by bell), $20 a month. or buy episodes on a service like itunes, $180 for the 7 seasons so far.

Or you can do what everybody else in the country does and get one of those android boxes off kijiji and pretend you don't know how all the tv shows come into the house for free.

I was thinking along the lines of guys like these
http://www.vmedia.ca/en/
Legit? Any others? e: Seems like they need to be your ISP if you want to try their TV. Whelp.

infernal machines posted:

I suspect you're being just a tad sarcastic, but as a Netflix subscriber since launch they are still more than a little thin for current TV shows and assorted local news. I have been living without it for years, but if it's cheap enough I'd consider it.

Mister Facetious posted:

Jesus no kidding. I watched a bit with the old man when they were visiting last week and other than the Grand Tour, a few choice movies (Airplane!) and maybe Mr. Bean, it was all loving conspiracy theory shows :psyduck:

slidebite fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Oct 17, 2017

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

I never know if I am getting a package or about to be abducted and murdered.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

slidebite posted:

I suspect you're being just a tad sarcastic, but as a Netflix subscriber since launch they are still more than a little thin for current TV shows and assorted local news. I have been living without it for years, but if it's cheap enough I'd consider it.

You've probably tried it already, but how is OTA television where you live? I only get Global and CBC English/French in my building, but that's still not too shabby for a $20 antenna. I don't use it all that much since I get every channel and Netflix/Crave through work, but the nerd in me likes being able to pull video signals from thin air.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

priznat posted:

I never know if I am getting a package or about to be abducted and murdered.

Just how much do you make a year... :eyepop:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Coxswain Balls posted:

You've probably tried it already, but how is OTA television where you live? I only get Global and CBC English/French in my building, but that's still not too shabby for a $20 antenna. I don't use it all that much since I get every channel and Netflix/Crave through work, but the nerd in me likes being able to pull video signals from thin air.

I don't think they even have FM radio stations where he lives.

quote:

I was thinking along the lines of guys like these
http://www.vmedia.ca/en/
Legit? Any others? e: Seems like they need to be your ISP if you want to try their TV. Whelp.

Their base package seems to be the same as robellus.

Googling them it seeems they did the skeezy android box thing before bell asked the CRTC to shut them down, i would imagine that has something to do with it.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Oct 17, 2017

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

LOL actually that's not crazy. We have a few good HDTV signals, BUT, in my new house the TV is in the basement and would need to string an antenna out.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Jan posted:

If it helps you feel any better, they do this in the states too. One day away from their closest warehouse, and they wait ~7-8 days of the 5-8 days shipping window to send it out.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

If you live that far out, then that means you have an excuse to build one of those big tower antennas that you can turn to point it at the station of your choice, and no neighbours to complain about it!

...what was that, you were trying to save money?

urf
Jul 12, 2009
I just had a Rogers rep offer me 500 mb down, 20 mb up, unlimited bandwidth for 30$ a month (modem rental included) price locked for 2 years and no contract or penalties if I leave after that time period. It honestly sounds too good to be true but he said it's to compete with similar apartment building deals since Bell ran fiber to all the units a year or so ago. Lots of competition around this neighbourhood apparently?

I've been with Distributel for 6 years or so and I don't want to give Rogers money directly but I honestly can't afford to say no to slashing my internet bill in half for 16x better download speed and 20x better upload.

Has anyone else heard of such ridiculous deals recently?

e: forgot I can also get 20$ credits for every referral I send his way from my apartment building.

urf fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Oct 17, 2017

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

CLAM DOWN posted:

Yeah same day delivery is meaningless when it's so bad. I use Canada Post FlexDelivery even though it takes an extra day.

At least guarantees your package uses Canada Post instead of "you weren't there on the first delivery attempt, we're not going to try again, you'll see a refund when it gets back to us" and then they send it from Vancouver to Mississauga because of course that's the only place their logistics system processes returns.

The fact it's the gold standard for online shopping here and other Canadian retailers are a worse nightmare is a testament to Canadian ___________ is always shittier.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

CLAM DOWN posted:

less than three posted:

Yeah same day delivery is meaningless when it's so bad. I use Canada Post FlexDelivery even though it takes an extra day.

At least guarantees your package uses Canada Post instead of "you weren't there on the first delivery attempt, we're not going to try again, you'll see a refund when it gets back to us" and then they send it from Vancouver to Mississauga because of course that's the only place their logistics system processes returns.

The fact it's the gold standard for online shopping here and other Canadian retailers are a worse nightmare is a testament to Canadian ___________ is always shittier.

I have the impression from the Vancouver thread that both of you live in the same condo complex (which I also lived in previously, hence noticing). Don't generalize too broadly from your violent agreement!

James Baud fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Oct 18, 2017

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

James Baud posted:

I have the impression from the Vancouver thread that both of you live in the same condo complex (which I also lived in previously, hence noticing). Don't generalize too broadly from your violent agreement!

He moved, I live now where he used to.

How do you request an alternate courier service for Amazon Prime? Is it just luck?

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

CLAM DOWN posted:

He moved, I live now where he used to.

How do you request an alternate courier service for Amazon Prime? Is it just luck?

I've heard you can force Canada Post (and USPS, in the US) by putting something like "(P.O. Box 0)" into your address, but that goes back years - may want to google around and see if there are any current confirmations.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

its weird hearing about problems with amazons delivery guys. ive never had a problem with them. some dude rings my doorbell and leaves the package either in my mailbox or in the screen door and is usually back in his car before i even get to the door.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Kly posted:

its weird hearing about problems with amazons delivery guys. ive never had a problem with them. some dude rings my doorbell and leaves the package either in my mailbox or in the screen door and is usually back in his car before i even get to the door.

I, along with a majority of Vancouver area residents, live in an apartment building where that isn't possible.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I'm lucky? I suppose? Because while I live in an apartment building with no delivery area or concierge, Amazon does sometimes have an option to deliver directly to the Shoppers at the bottom of my street. With other online retailers it's more of a crap shoot.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Just a week or so ago I had an Amazon delivery person leave a box on my front step. They hid it under the mat though so that was good. Too bad the box was about 2 feet cubed.

They must have realised the mat was less than effective though because they also rolled the garbage and green bins over in front of our door which definitely screamed 'nothing unusual going on here!" When combined with the bright orange Amazon delivery sticker they put on the window beside the door.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Since this is the closest thing to a general computers in canada thread, people should probably know that NCIX is nosediving:

https://www.reddit.com/r/bapcsalescanada/comments/77h771/for_anyone_that_purchased_a_8700k_from_ncix/domm2ca/

https://www.reddit.com/r/bapcsalescanada/comments/76a25e/ncix_countdown_to_kaput_thread_what_goes_around/

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah, Linus Tech Tips mentioned it in the last podcast.
Couldn't hang with the Newegg kids, I guess.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
It’s disappointing to see NcIX crater, but it was never that great. It just became the “least lovely” option, at least in Vancouver. If you ordered something for instore pickup you could be reasonably sure it would be there, you could use a credit card, and you could expect them to be there in a few months if anything went wrong.

I bought from a lot of vendors along Broadway back in the day and NCIX was definitely my preference.

Now that Newegg has had west coast warehouse distribution for a while that’s probably what I’ll shift over to. It sucks having to pay shipping vs free instore pickup though.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Memory Express lets you do in-store pickup in Vancouver, but I think their only store is in Richmond.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

McGavin posted:

Memory Express lets you do in-store pickup in Vancouver, but I think their only store is in Richmond.

There is at least one in Edmonton

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

We used to use them a lot because of their price matching policies, when they opened retail locations in Toronto it was pretty handy for a while. It's a shame to see them melt down so hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I'm pretty sure the Memory Express here is doing insanely well due to being the only good computer place in town. Haven't had to order anything online in years, especially since they pricematch; I built my current PC there for less than it would have cost to get everything online.