Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Interesting thing about the whole "you can't erase history" argument is that the Confederacy existed for a grand total of about 4 years. Reconstruction, which has largely been forgotten about, lasted 12. Three times as long.

During Reconstruction, a lot of great things happened that seem like a fairytale now. Blacks were actually able to vote, and many of the legislatures in the south elected black officials. After the halcyon days of Reconstruction is when rich, white hegemony reasserted itself, chasing out the pro-black legislatures, often literally, with violence. Notably, in one of the many attempted coups, James Longstreet, a prominent former Confederate general, played an important part of leading the defence of the democratically elected government against the White League militia attempting the coup. Longstreet is also conspicuously absent from all the confederate memorials, erased from the southern nationalist narrative for his temerity in participating in and supporting Reconstruction era government.

And of course, after Reconstruction ended and whites seized power again, it all got forgotten, if not outright covered up. Most people just assume that the sharecropping pseudo-slavery and Jim Crow laws just popped up immediately after the civil war, and they don't know that before the civil war ended, there was a proven example of how protection of voter rights could work before the civil rights movement had to rebuild everything from the ground up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Samopsa posted:

The same with firearm in the US: the NRA actually opposed assault rifles and other guns that are overkill for hunting before a radical libertarian group took over in 1977, which helped create the current (quite insane) gun culture.

Really want a video with Wayne LaPierre's head in place of the Joker's in Suicide Squad when he says to Harley Quinn, "I need a machine gun."

Maybe it's about time I learn After Effects.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
I want to read the other articles in That Isn't Even Remotely The Point magazine. "Hitler: Great with Dogs!" or "Is there a Wage Gap in Child Labor?" seem like interesting reads.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

geeves posted:

Really want a video with Wayne LaPierre's head in place of the Joker's in Suicide Squad when he says to Harley Quinn, "I need a machine gun."

Maybe it's about time I learn After Effects.

Nit even sure you could call it Libertarian. The coup was funded by Colt and Daewoo who suddenly had a large AR stockpile after Vietnam ended.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I also really like that suicide pact between a few of the remaining cabinet members. The typical fascist strongman strategy is supposed to be making your cronies fight against each other for your favor, and here they are ganging up against him, since they're more capable human beings and they're not idiots.

Don't know if that's actually going to stop the White House steadily emptying out though, especially when the government shutdown or default or however the budget gets screwed up comes along.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

SlothfulCobra posted:

I also really like that suicide pact between a few of the remaining cabinet members. The typical fascist strongman strategy is supposed to be making your cronies fight against each other for your favor, and here they are ganging up against him, since they're more capable human beings and they're not idiots.

Don't know if that's actually going to stop the White House steadily emptying out though, especially when the government shutdown or default or however the budget gets screwed up comes along.

Gotta love how this might be what actually happens: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_AzEeIGznU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Gotta love how this might be what actually happens: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_AzEeIGznU

That was made in 2010.... gently caress

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
https://twitter.com/LastWeekTonight/status/919768552416186368
https://twitter.com/LastWeekTonight/status/919768523261362182
I'm really sick of capitalism at this point.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I went through with a credit freeze with the four agencies (Innovis is the lesser known fourth) and it only cost me $10. All told it was pretty painless, but I also knew that at least for my situation where I didn't need any new lines of credit or (hopefully) new employment any time soon it seemed like the prudent course of action to take.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Here's something I don't quite understand about the whole Equifax/credit report situation in general: Where do they get that information in the first place? It seems weird to me that a corporation can just have your very important identification information without you actually giving it to them (I assume that when you apply for a credit card with a bank there's probably some clause in the contract that mentions that the information you give the bank will also be given to the credit agencies, but that really seems like something you should be able to opt out of)

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Here's something I don't quite understand about the whole Equifax/credit report situation in general: Where do they get that information in the first place? It seems weird to me that a corporation can just have your very important identification information without you actually giving it to them (I assume that when you apply for a credit card with a bank there's probably some clause in the contract that mentions that the information you give the bank will also be given to the credit agencies, but that really seems like something you should be able to opt out of)

The SSN is the one unique identifier every single person with credit has. That's how they know which "The Cheshire Cat" you are to report your credit score/history back to the companies that request it.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Sure you can opt out of the credit system, as long as you don't ever need a car/house/utilities/credit card and sadly more often lately even a job as some of them have started credit checking.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

socialsecurity posted:

Sure you can opt out of the credit system, as long as you don't ever need a car/house/utilities/credit card and sadly more often lately even a job as some of them have started credit checking.

I never understood why they run credit checks for a job. Like, I get it if you are gonna me handling/managing large sums of money or trusted with secure info that could be sold to get out of massive debt. But why does someone working middle management or in HR, sales, marketing, etc. need one?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Basically they get information from banks/employers/whatever source that they can find to determine whether or not you're a reliable debtor. It's a tradition that goes back to 1874. Nobody's ever established the legal right to privacy, so there's plenty of companies that just go around and do this whenever. NPR did a nice piece on this.

And of course, Equifax has all this data, but they have no real motivation to keep it secret. Fear of identity theft makes more people buy their protection services anyways. Like all white collar criminals, especially in the financial industry, they screw you coming and going. Technically their only crime was insider trading, although you could make a case for gross negligence.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
It also gives racists another possible reason why they can't hire a person with dark skin.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

I've been binge watching previous seasons on HBOGo and got to the episode where they briefly mention the Ebola cases of 2014. I didn't remember much from back then so I decided to look the nurse up. It turns out she sued the poo poo out of the hospital she worked at (also the hospital that took care of her) for not properly training staff to handle this kind of disease, they settled last year. The statement John read in the show is likely PR bullshit, as she had wanted to remain anonymous, but the hospital went behind her back and used her to try and save face. :smith:

e: Wyatt Cenac is getting his own HBO show too, with John listed as executive producer.

quote:

Wyatt Cenac has been set to star in a 10-episode late-night comedic docuseries at HBO that John Oliver is executive producing. The network said the series will take a satirical look at social and cultural issues from the former Daily Show correspondent’s unique perspective. Rather than sit behind a desk, he will undertake a journey to understand some of the big issues of the moment and investigate real-world solutions. It is slated to bow in spring 2018.

Ignis fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Oct 17, 2017

Afro
May 29, 2007

Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit
i literally work at dunkin donuts and i completely agree. gently caress maple pecan, pumpkin spince 4ever

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Afro posted:

i literally work at dunkin donuts and i completely agree. gently caress maple pecan, pumpkin spince 4ever

That was easily the funniest “And now,” since “Ayn Rand: Why is this still a thing?”

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Pumpkin Spice Racist?

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

It would feel really good to punch Tucker Carlson in the face. I bet I could jerk off to that memory for like 3-4 years afterwards.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Harton posted:

It would feel really good to punch Tucker Carlson in the face. I bet I could jerk off to that memory for like 3-4 years afterwards.

Judging by the look of him, so would he.

"Hey, remember that time I took a punch for YOUR VALUES?" :smuggo:

The first one of them that gets *shot* and comes back to continue railing for the Second Amendment is going to make all of the others super-jealous. Why one of them hasn't 'arranged' that yet is mystifying - but they're all cowards, so...

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Also don't forget, there's a bunch of reports of people who know right wing pundits off camera and claim they don't even actually believe half the poo poo they say.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The first one of them that gets *shot* and comes back to continue railing for the Second Amendment is going to make all of the others super-jealous. Why one of them hasn't 'arranged' that yet is mystifying - but they're all cowards, so...

Isn't that literally what happened with that dipshit congressperson that got shot and came back?

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Isn't that literally what happened with that dipshit congressperson that got shot and came back?

Yup. It even reenforced his beliefs.

https://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/347205/scalise-fox-news-gun-control-fortified/

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Man, I remember when American Dad did that as a joke. US politics are so hosed.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Back when Reagan got shot it actually made him pro-gun control, but I guess these days death is favorable to having to face down the gun lobby.

I mean there was a mass shooting in goddamn Washington DC, it can't get closer to home unless a shooter actually makes it into congress or the RNC.

Harton posted:

That Tucker Carlson bit looked and sounded like it was just Bill O'Reilly in a wig.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

swickles posted:

I never understood why they run credit checks for a job. Like, I get it if you are gonna me handling/managing large sums of money or trusted with secure info that could be sold to get out of massive debt. But why does someone working middle management or in HR, sales, marketing, etc. need one?

Public answer: Because someone with good credit is responsible.

Private answer: Because someone with a lot of debt will be a good little worker bee that lets you poo poo all over them to keep their job.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

It's good for racial profiling too, you don't have credit? Sorry we can't hire you cause we can't determine if you actually exist.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Officially, the answer is so you can't be bought by someone who offers to alleviate you from your debt by acting against the company.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Or they think you'll steal from them*.

* More than the average employee steals already**.

Invalid Validation posted:

It's good for racial profiling too, you don't have credit? Sorry we can't hire you cause we can't determine if you actually exist.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
I remember telling my kids "Kids, I grew up at the tail end of the Cold War. I actually had the son of an Estonian political leader in my house as an exchange student when the August Coup happened. We knew, KNEW that the world was going to end in nuclear fire one day, and soon. I'm so glad you kids aren't growing up under that particular shadow."

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/north-korea-vows-to-unleash-unimaginable-nuclear-strike-on-us/ar-AAtJYnM?li=AAadgLE

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Basically, it's all fake bullshit. Just like all of economics. Capitalism blows.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Fortunately, it blows less than a lot of the alternatives. It might not be great, but being less poo poo than others is about the best we have at the moment.

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474
Jan 12, 2006

eat your vegetables dot com

tsob posted:

Fortunately, it blows less than a lot of the alternatives. It might not be great, but being less poo poo than others is about the best we have at the moment.

It's better than feudalism, I guess, but Silicon Valley companies seem to be pulling a lot from that model so nah, it probably isn't

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

tsob posted:

"It's not perfect but it's the best system we have" sure keep repeating the bullshit lie we've been sold since WWII.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Developing and implementing completely different alternative systems currently would require more political power and competence than is currently available in this country at least.

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474 posted:

It's better than feudalism, I guess, but Silicon Valley companies seem to be pulling a lot from that model so nah, it probably isn't

Well, capitalism and feudalism aren't mutually exclusive, although corporate masters skimp too much on the feudal obligations to serfs/vassals for the comparison to be truely apt.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

tsob posted:

Pretty much every alternative comes with the caveat "This political system works perfectly well just as long as no selfish assholes get into power and take advantage of everyone else," the chances of which are exactly zero.

I always get the feeling that constitutional democratic republics based around a capitalist economy aren't any better than any other system except for the fact that they provide way more allowances for and checks & balances against selfish assholes. The end result of that is instead of trapping their unwashed masses in an unending existence of backbreaking work and near-starvation they instead wrap them in a cyclical existence of consumerism and pop culture immersion balanced precariously over a "nine meals away from anarchy" chasm.

But hey, it's the best we can do and so far it's worked pretty okay. The gently caress else are we gonna do until we reach post-scarcity? :shrug:

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Oct 20, 2017

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

How about not allow a tiny minority of people have all the wealth?

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

IRQ posted:

How about not allow a tiny minority of people have all the wealth?

Hold on there commie!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

SlothfulCobra posted:

Developing and implementing completely different alternative systems currently would require more political power and competence than is currently available in this country at least.

"Fixing the world is too hard, might as well let it just keep getting worse forever" is the mindset that got us to now. Maybe we should start thinking more radically.

• Locked thread